16 BURSTOCK (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIX, S.E. (b)XXVIII, N.E.)
Burstock is a small parish 4 m. W. of Beaminster.
The church is the principal monument.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew stands near
the middle of the parish. The walls are of local rubble
with ashlar and dressings of the same material; the
roofs are slate-covered. The thick walls of the Nave
may indicate that it dates from the 12th century but
there is no other evidence of this. Early in the 15th
century the Chancel was rebuilt and the North Chapel
added; the West Tower was built about the same time.
The church was drastically restored in 1877, when the
Chancel was rebuilt; the South Porch is modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23¾ ft. by
14¾ ft.) is modern except for the 15th-century chancel-arch which is moulded and two-centred; the moulded
responds have each two attached shafts with moulded
capitals and modern bases.
The Church, Plan
The Nave (28 ft. by 15¾ ft.) has, in the N. wall, an
archway similar to but smaller than the chancel-arch;
further W. is a modern window. In the S. wall are
two windows, the eastern of the 16th century and of
three elliptical-headed lights in a square main head with
moulded reveals and label; the western window is
modern; the partly restored 13th-century S. doorway
has roll-moulded jambs and two-centred head.
The North Chapel (15 ft. by 9 ft.) has a window of
three square-headed lights in the N. wall, perhaps of
the 17th century but with modern splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (8½ ft. by 9½ ft.) is of the 15th
century and of three stages with a modern embattled
parapet and old carved figures at the angles, including
a double-bodied monster seizing a man. The tower-arch is two-centred and of one continuous chamfered
order; high in the wall to the S. of it is a blocked
doorway to a staircase to the second stage. The partly
restored W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head; the W. window is modern except for
the moulded reveals and rear-arch. The second stage
has a blocked opening in the E. wall and a square-headed window in the W. wall, covered by the clock-face. The bell-chamber has in the E. and N. walls
a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head; the lower part of the S. light of the
E. window has a filling with two pierced trefoils.
The window in the S. wall is modern externally and the
W. wall has been refaced.
Fittings—Bells: two; 2nd, now in churchyard,
cracked and inscribed in black-letter "Me melior vere
non est campana sub ere", from Exeter foundry,
c. 1500. Bell-frame old. Font: tub-shaped bowl
with plain rim and cable band, 12th or 13th-century,
recut, base modern. Monument: In churchyard—S.
of chancel, to Joan Hooper, 1669, and Robert . . .,
table-tomb. Piscina: In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess
with ogee head and square drain, 15th-century. Plate:
includes a cup of 1571 with a band of engraved orna
ment on the bowl, a flagon and a stand-paten both of
1719. Stoup: In E. wall of S. porch—recess with
rounded head and plain bowl, mediæval, reset.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys.
The walls are of stone and the roofs are thatched.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
b(2) Burstock Grange, 600 yards S.S.E. of the church,
retains a number of original stone-mullioned windows,
some with moulded labels.
b(3) Range of two houses, on the E. side of the road,
1,150 yards E. of the church, was built probably early
in the 18th century; the roofs are partly tiled. Each
house has a central doorway with a moulded stone
architrave; the stone-mullioned front windows are
original and above the lower ones runs a moulded
a(4) House, on the E. side of the road 100 yards N.W.
of the church, has walls of flint-rubble.
a(5) Manor Farm, house 250 yards N.W. of the
church, has slate-covered roofs. The N.W. wing and
the staircase date from the 18th century. The S. front
retains its original stone-mullioned windows.
a(6) Whetham Farm, house 1,175 yards N.W. of the
church, retains some original stone-mullioned windows,
two with moulded labels.
b(7) Courtwood, house nearly ¾ m. S. of the church,
was built c. 1700; and retains some original three and
four-light stone-mullioned windows.