18 BURTON, LONG (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XII, N.W. (b)XII, S.W.)
Long Burton is a parish and village 3 m. S. of Sherborne. The church is the principal monument.
a(1) Parish Church of St. James, formerly a
chapel of Sherborne, stands in the village. The walls
are of local rubble with freestone dressings; the
roofs are tiled. Reused fragments indicate the existence
of a 12th-century church but the earliest part of the existing building is the mid 13th-century West Tower. The
Chancel and probably also the Nave were rebuilt in the
15th century and the South Porch added. The North
Chapel is an early 17th-century addition built by
Leweston Fitzjames. The church was restored in 1873
when the N. arcade was built and the North Aisle
The Fitzjames monuments and the screens are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (17¼ ft. by
11½ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head
with moulded reveals and label with head-stops. In
the N. wall is an early 17th-century arcade of two bays
with moulded semi-circular arches continued on the
pier and responds, but interrupted by plain imposts
and key-blocks. In the S. wall are three 15th-century
windows; two are of two cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals and label with head-stops; the middle window
is of one trefoiled light with moulded reveals and square
head; the doorway below it has moulded jambs and
three-centred head. The 15th-century chancel-arch is
moulded and two-centred; the responds have each two
attached shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered
bases; the reveals and soffit of the arch have a single
row of trefoil-headed panels.
The North Chapel (14 ft. by 8 ft.) is of early 17th-century date. The E. window is of three four-centred
lights in a square head with a label. In the N. wall is
a blocked similar window and in the W. wall is a modern
squint from the N. aisle.
The Nave (44 ft. by 17½ ft.) has a modern N. arcade.
In the S. wall are two 15th-century windows both of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
two-centred head with moulded and shafted reveals
and label with returned stops; the 15th-century S.
doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The West Tower (9 ft. square) is of mid 13th-century
date and of three stages with a 15th-century upper
part and embattled parapet with gargoyles. The 13th-century tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered
orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing
from short corbel-shafts with moulded capitals and
terminals. The partly restored late 14th-century W.
doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The second stage has, in the N., S. and W. faces, a
13th-century lancet-window with a trefoiled rear-arch.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a 16th or 17th-century window of two square-headed lights.
The South Porch is of the 15th century and has a
moulded and two-centred outer archway; the similarly
moulded responds have central moulded capitals with
carved paterae; the moulded label has head-stops of a
man and a lion. In the W. wall is a window of one
The Parish Church of St James, Long Burton
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by T. Knight of Closworth, 1701; 2nd and 3rd by Thomas Bilbie, 1764;
4th from the Salisbury foundry, early 16th century and
inscribed " Sit nomen Domine be[nedict]um." Brass:
In nave—on S. wall, to Nathaniel Fairecloughe, M.A.,
rector of Stalbridge, 1656, inscription-plate in ornamental stone frame. Chest: In nave—with panelled
front and ends, three locks, 17th-century. Clock:
In N. chapel, parts of mechanism in iron framework,
16th or 17th-century. Communion Table: with turned
legs and enriched top rails and stretchers, early 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled
panel and patera on each face, moulded underside,
plain stem and moulded base, 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In N. chapel—
against N. wall, (1) to Sir John Fitzjames, 1625, and
Joan (Trenchard), his wife, 1612, erected by Leweston
Fitzjames, their son, painted stone monument (Plate
86) consisting of table-tomb, effigies and canopy;
table-tomb with bones, spade and pickaxe below slab,
recumbent figures of man in armour, head on book, and
of wife in ruff, gown and cloak, canopy supported on six
Corinthian columns with entablature, achievement, two
cartouches and three shields-of-arms; further W., (2) to
Thomas Winston, 1609, his son Sir Henry Winston,
1609–10, and Dionise (Bond), his wife, 1609–10, erected
by Eleonor Fitzjames, their daughter, similar monument
(Plate 86) to (1), but with recumbent figure of man
in armour with tabard-of-arms under slab of table-tomb, effigy of man in armour above, with helmet
and visor, and woman as on other tomb, achievement, two cartouches and four shields-of-arms. In
nave—on S. wall, (3) to Charles Cozens, 1835, and
Edith Brooke Cozens his wife, 1862, black and white
marble wall-monument with achievement-of-arms.
Floor-slab: In chancel—to Sir John Fitzjames, 1670,
and Margaret (Stephens), his wife, 1685, with achievement and shield-of-arms. Plate: includes a cup of
1616 with a band of engraved ornament round the
bowl. Royal Arms: In nave—on S. wall, Stuart
arms on wooden panel with enriched frame and initials
and date C.R. 1662. Screens: two, formerly in arcade
of N. chapel, one now replaced in W. arch of this
arcade, the other reset under tower-arch; both
generally similar in design and of two bays with
enriched posts and head to open upper panels, panels
fitted with iron uprights continued above the head,
close lower panels with enriched entablature and panels
with radiating gadroon-ornament, early 17th-century.
Sundial: On S.E. buttress of nave—stone cut with
scratch-dial and two crosses. Miscellanea: Incorporated in E. wall of N. aisle—12th-century stone with
cheveron-ornament. Reset in tower—two weathered
head-corbels. In chancel—loose on sill of E. window,
two carved wooden angels holding shields, 15th-century, probably from former roof.
a(2) Burton House, ½ m. N. of the church, is a
modern building incorporating a considerable quantity
of old materials and fittings from demolished buildings in the neighbourhood. The S. doorway,
some mullioned windows, stone fireplaces, ceiling-beams and panelling came from the Old Court Farm
at Batcombe. Other stonework details came from
Yetminster, Stoke-sub-Hambdon, Martock, Tintinhull,
etc. The sundial, dated 1700, came from Pennard Hill
and a fire-back of 1606 from Wootton Glanville. In the
hall is some early 16th-century linen-fold panelling from
Sherborne. There is also much 17th-century panelling.
a(3) Leweston Farm, house over ¾ m. N.W. of the
church, has been rebuilt but incorporates some older
material. Above the entrance is a panel with a shield-of-arms of Fitzjames. Inside the building is an early
18th-century staircase with cut strings and a 17th-century panelled door with a semi-circular fluted panel
in the head. The Barn, E. of the house, is of five bays
and of late 17th or early 18th-century date. In the
S.W. face are six stone ventilators with pierced trellispattern. In the N. entrance is a piece of quatre-foiled
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
thatch or modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
a(4) Cottage, on W. side of road 250 yards N. of the
church, was built about 1700. It retains the original
heavy wood-framed windows of three lights.
a(5) Spring House, about 300 yards N.W. of the
a(6) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (5).
a(7) Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 160 yards
N.N.W. of the church.
a(8) Cottage, on E. side of road 90 yards N. of the
church. It has a central chimney stack.
a(9) Rose and Crown Inn, on the E. side of the road
50 yards N.W. of the church, has been much altered.
a(10) Cottage, at Long Burton Farm 150 yards S. of
the church, is now used as a dairy.
a(11) Cottage, 50 yards S. of (10), was built early in
the 18th century.
a(12) Old Dairy House, opposite (11), retains some
original stone-mullioned windows with labels, including
a bay-window of four lights in front and one on each
return. Inside the building is an original stone fireplace with moulded jambs and square head.
b(13) Cottage, on the E. side of the road 470 yards S.
of the church.
b(14) Manor Farm, house on the W. side of the road
50 yards S.W. of (13), has been extended in the 18th
century. It contains a reset panelled partition.