Catherston Leweston

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1952

Supporting documents

Page

70

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Catherston Leweston', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1: West (1952), pp. 70. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=127205 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

20 CATHERSTON LEWESTON (A.d.)

(O.S. 6 in. XXXVII, N.W.)

Catherston Leweston is a small parish 2½ m. N.E. of Lyme Regis.

Secular

(1) The Manor House, 50 yards N.E. of the modern church, was built in 1887 but incorporates remains of an older house in the middle of the S. side. The late 16th-century stone porch was taken down and re-erected at the E. end of the modern front. It is of two storeys, ashlar-faced and gabled. The outer archway has moulded jambs and elliptical arch under a square label. Inside there is an early 18th-century staircase with square newels, turned balusters and close strings; the stair walls are lined with contemporary moulded panelling.



<--Previous:
Castleton
Next:-->
Cattistock