21 CATTISTOCK (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXX, N.W. (b)XXX, N.E.
Cattistock is a parish and village 9 m. N.W. of
Dorchester. Chantmarle and Holway Farm are the
c(1) Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
stands on the S.W. side of the village. The church
was entirely rebuilt in 1857 except for parts of the outer
walls of the N. and S. chapels; at this time the foundations of an apsidal chancel were found. The N.
Chapel, said to have been built by the Rev. John Mayo
in 1630, has, in the N. wall, a reset 15th-century window
of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
square head with a label. The S. Chapel has a restored
squint in the N.E. angle and a 15th-century E. window
of one trefoiled light in a square head; in the S. wall
is a similar window of two lights. In 1940 the tower
was burnt and the carillon of thirty-five bells, cast by
Van Aerschodt, Louvain, was destroyed.
Fittings—Coffin-lid: In E. wall of S. aisle—small
tapering slab with incised cross, late 13th or early 14th-century. Plate: includes a brass dish with hammered
relief of the Virgin and Child in glory and punched
decoration on the border, S. German, early 16th
century. Miscellanea: In recess in N. wall of chancel—
fragments with 12th-century mouldings, also part of
the head of a cross (formerly about 18½ in. in diam.)
consisting of the circular central part with marigoldornament on each face, and one arm with a foliagesprig on one face and a simple interlacement on the
other (Plate 6), probably early 11th-century. In E.
wall of S. aisle—portion of 12th-century moulding and
a chamfered stone bracket.
b(2) Chantmarle, house (Plates 97, 98) nearly 1¾ m.
N. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of stone and the roofs are covered with stone slates.
The existing W. wing of the house was built in the
second half of the 15th century when the property
belonged to the Cheverel family. In the 16th century
a separate building was erected a short distance to the
S. of the original block. The house was bought by
John Strode in 1604 and about 1612 the existing main
block of the house was built. It was originally of
E-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
E., but the projecting part of the N. wing has been
demolished and the S. wing, extending up to the
separate 16th-century building, entirely demolished.
Strode's account-book of the building refers to Gabriel
Moore as surveyor "to survey and direct the building
to the forme I conceived and plotted it". The stone
came from the "Hambdon and Whetly" quarries.
There are traces of an added wing on the N. side of the
main block and a former W. porch to the hall has been
removed in recent times. For a time it was a farm-house, but about 1910 extensive additions were made
including the staircase-hall on the site of the former S.
wing, a large wing adjoining the N.W. angle of the
house and an extension of the 16th-century building.
The E. Front has a central three-storeyed porch
(Plate 97); the outer entrance has a round arch in a
square, moulded, outer head, with roundels in the
spandrels, moulded imposts and a key-block inscribed
"Emmanuel 1612"; flanking the entrance are semi-circular niches with round shell-heads. The second
stage has a half-round oriel-window resting on deep
moulded corbelling and having four four-centred and
transomed lights. The third storey has a window of
three four-centred lights with a label; above it is a
round panel. In the S. wall of the porch is a window
of two four-centred and transomed lights at the first-floor level. The main front has, on either side of
the porch, a group of three windows on each floor,
the middle one of four and the side ones of two four-centred and transomed lights. The N. bay of the
front is probably of the 18th century and was erected
after the destruction of part of the N. wing; the
front wall incorporates two reset four-light windows
similar to those in the main front. The N. wall of the
E. or front block has traces of a former gabled building
adjoining it on the N.; in this wall are some 15th or
early 16th-century windows reset; one of these is of
two ogee-headed lights with plain vertical tracery in a
square head. The site of the former S. wing is occupied
by a later building; ruins of the old wing are shown
in a Buckler sketch of 1828 and indicate that the end
of the wing had a semi-circular bay-window. The W.
front (Plate 98) of the main block has a chimney-stack
and a projecting staircase-wing; in the main wall the
windows are of two and three four-centred and transomed lights; the doorway has moulded jambs and
four-centred head with carved paterae and spandrels of
foliage-ornament; the doorway was formerly covered
by a porch, now removed. The staircase-wing has
two-light windows, one of which is modern. The
original 15th-century W. wing has windows with four-centred lights, moulded reveals and labels; most
of these have been altered or restored. The S. wall
is faced with bands of flint and ashlar. The 16th-century S. wing retains some original windows with
four centred lights.
Inside the building, the Hall is entered by a doorway
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square
head; the door is panelled and nail-studded. The
screen is made up of 16th and 17th-century material,
including linen-fold panels in the middle door. The fireplace in the W. wall has moulded jambs and four-centred
arch in a square head; the surround and overmantel
are made up of 17th-century materials, one portion
bearing the initials and date M.H. 1618; the fireplace in the S. wall has moulded jambs and four-centred
head. The Dining Room is entered by a doorway with
a four-centred arch in a square head; the doorway to the
staircase has a two-centred head. The Drawing Room
is entered by two doorways with four-centred heads.
In the S.W. angle is a 17th-century panelled enclosure
(Plate 51) made up with modern work; it has an enriched entablature; the door has an enriched and
arcaded upper panel and the return sides have each an
open panel of two arched bays. The first floor of the
E. block has a 17th-century doorway, fireplace and some
panelled doors; the fireplace has an overmantel made
up of 17th-century materials. The W. wing has, in
the Library, an original ceiling divided into panels
by moulded beams; this room was formerly the chapel
and in the S. wall is a 15th-century piscina with a trefoiled head and round drain; the E. window, now
opening into the Dining Room, is of four trefoiled
lights in a square head. On the first floor is a second
room with original moulded ceiling-beams. The
modern staircase-hall, on the site of the former S. wing,
has a reset 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs
and four-centred head.
Chantmarle in the Parish of Cattistock
b(3) Chalmington, house 1,500 yards N. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
stone and the roofs are slate-covered. The main S.
range is an 18th-century building incorporating, at
the back, a small 16th-century wing. This wing has
been much modernised but retains a number of original
windows, square-headed and mostly with moulded
labels. There are large modern additions entirely
surrounding the early part of the house.
Sherborne, Old Castle
b(4) Holway Farm, house 1 m. N.N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and
the roofs are slate-covered. It was built on a
rectangular plan early in the 17th century, but was
much altered externally probably late in the 17th century. The house retains most of its three and four-light windows and a doorway with a four-centred head.
Above the back doorway are two stone shields with
non-heraldic devices, one with I and a bird may be
a rebus. Inside the building, the S.E. room has
an original plaster ceiling divided into four bays
by enriched plastered beams; the bays have geometrical conventional designs. The S.W. room has
a fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred
head. Between the hall and the adjoining room is a
re-used panelled partition of early 17th-century date,
with four panels in the height and carved frieze-panels.
The staircase has some original turned balusters. On
the first floor, the S.W. room has a fireplace with
moulded jambs and four-centred head above which
is a cornice and a plaster overmantel; this is of two
arched bays with half-bays at the angles enclosing large
acanthus-leaves; in the spandrels are conventional
leaves. The S.E. room has a similar fireplace with a
cornice and plaster overmantel; this overmantel has
a fish-tail panel enclosing a lion's-head mask and two
sea-horses. The Barn, N. of the house, is of the same
period. It is built of alternate courses of clunch and
flint and has a thatched roof.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or
covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
b(5) Higher Holway Farm, house 630 yards N. of
(4), retains some original stone-mullioned windows.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, has a double collar-beam
a(6) West Holway Farm, house ½ m. N.W. of (4),
retains two original muntin and plank partitions.
a(7) Merryfield, nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the church, has
walls of roughly coursed rubble below and of brick in
Flemish bond above. It was built about 1750. The
windows have segmental heads in gauged brick.
b(8) Metford Mill, ¾ m. N.W. of the church, retains
an original fireplace with a four-centred head.
b(9) Higher Chalmington Farm, house 380 yards N. of
(3), has been much altered.
b(10) Fox and Hounds Inn, on the N. side of the road
130 yards N.E. of the church, retains an original
muntin and plank partition and two three-light stone
b(11) House, 20 yards W. of (10), retains its original
stone windows of two, three and four lights.
b(12) Range of four tenements, on the W. side of
the road 80 yards N. of the church, retains some
original stone-mullioned windows with labels.
b(13) House, on the W. side of the road 250 yards N. of
the church, has walls of ashlar. It is dated 1717. The
stone-mullioned windows are of two lights. There is
a moulded string at first-floor level and a shallow eaves-cornice.
b(14) The Castle, earthwork on Castle Hill 700
yards N.E. of the church, consists of an irregular oval
enclosure of about 4¼ acres, formed by steepening the
natural slope of the hill-top and thus forming a berm;
it has been suggested that this is entirely a natural formation. There are two ramped causeway-entrances
towards the N.E. and N.W. respectively. The surface
of the enclosure rises to a point on which is a much
damaged mound, 50 ft. in diam. and 4 ft. high. About
50 yards to the N. of the enclosure is a steep lynchet.
c(15) Mound, probably the remains of a barrow,
1,000 yards E. of the church, has been almost entirely
obliterated by ploughing. A second mound, 75 yards
to the S.W., has been destroyed by gravel-digging.
b(16) Mound, on Middle Hill 1 m. E.N.E. of the
church, is about 40 ft. in diam. and ¾ ft. high. It has
been much disturbed and now has the appearance of
a rough circular bank.
b(17) Cultivation System and perhaps settlement,
on Middle Hill ¾ m. E.N.E. of the church, consist of a
series of banks, some of them well-defined, representing
cultivation of the Celtic type. At one point S. of the
best preserved bank are slight traces of sixteen or more
sinkings 3 to 5 yards in diam. and possibly representing
hut-hollows. The sinkings shown further E. on the
O.S. have been destroyed by gravel-digging. The
cultivation-system extends into Lankham Bottom.