26 CHEDINGTON (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XX, S.E.)
Chedington is a small parish 3 m. N. of Beaminster.
(1) Parish Church of St. James was entirely
rebuilt in 1841.
Fittings—Bell: one, inaccessible but said to be of
1610. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to William
Hody, 173(5 ?)7, and William his son, 1780, wall-monument of white marble with apron, cornice and
cartouche-of-arms. In the old churchyard—(2) to
Samuel Hallet, 1684, table-tomb; (3) to Thomas
Hallet, 1617, table-tomb; (4) to Robert Notley,
1698–9, and Dorothy his wife, 1707, table-tomb.
Miscellanea: In S. porch—mutilated cap, possibly of
an angle-shaft, built into W. wall, 12th-century.
(2) Manor Farm, house 90 yards N.E. of the church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and the roofs
are tiled. It was built in the 16th century, but was
much altered and enlarged in the 17th century when
the W. front was remodelled and the porch added.
This front has 17th-century stone-mullioned windows
of three, four and five lights, the lower ones with
moulded labels; the doorway has moulded jambs and
four-centred head; the doorway of the porch is
similar and has a moulded label and above is a panel
with the name and date Thomas Warren, 1674. There
are doorways with four-centred heads in the side walls
of the porch. Some original windows remain at the
back. Inside the building, the middle room has
original moulded ceiling-beams and there is a panelled
partition in the S. wing.
(3) Cottage, 150 yards S.W. of the church, is
modern, but incorporates an early 16th-century moulded
(4) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (3), is of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roof is slate-covered.
It was built probably early in the 18th century.
(5) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (4), is modern, but
incorporates a 17th-century doorway with an oak
frame and four-centred head.
(6) Cottage, two tenements, S.W. of (5), is of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are
thatched. It was built probably early in the 18th
(7) Lower Farm, house 250 yards S.W. of the church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs
are thatched. It was built in the 17th century on an
L-shaped plan and the W. wing was extended probably
early in the 18th century. Several original stonemullioned windows remain and one of these, on the
S.E. front, is set in a projection. Inside the building
are some exposed ceiling-beams, two panelled partitions and a doorway with an oak frame and four-centred