27 CHELBOROUGH, EAST (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXI, N.W. (b)XXI, S.W.)
East Chelborough is a parish 6 m. N.E. of Beaminster. The earthwork on Castle Hill is the principal
a(1) Parish Church of St. James, Lewcombe,
stands in the extreme N.E. angle of the parish. The
walls are of local rubble with some ashlar and dressings
of the same material; the roofs are slate-covered.
There was a church here in the 12th century, but the
present church consisting of Chancel and Nave seems
to have been rebuilt not earlier than the 16th century.
It was altered in the 18th century when the W. wall
was rebuilt or refaced and the bell-turret added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave
(38½ ft. by 15 ft.) are structurally undivided. In the
E. wall is an 18th-century round window. In the N.
wall are two late 16th or 17th-century windows, of three
four-centred lights in a square head. In the S. wall
are two late 16th or 17th-century windows, the eastern
of two and the western of three four-centred lights in
square heads; between them is the W. jamb of a destroyed doorway, probably of the 16th century. The
W. wall has a square-headed 18th-century doorway
with architrave and cornice and a round window of the
same date above it.
The Church, Plan
Fittings—Font: moulded octagonal bowl with
baluster-stem, 18th-century. Monuments: In nave—on
N. wall, (1) to Robert Dawe, 1727, and Joan, his wife,
1743, slate wall-tablet. In churchyard—W. of church,
(2) to Mary, daughter of William Dawe, 1683 (?), and
to Mary . . ., headstone; (3) to William Dawe, 1690,
b(2) Earthwork, on Castle Hill near the middle of
the parish, presumably represents a mediæval castlesite. The work occupies a ridge-top (about 600 ft.
above O.D.) on the W. side of the road. An irregular
shaped bailey has been formed, with a motte in the
S.W. angle apparently constructed by steepening the
natural scarp of the summit of the hill. There are
traces of a narrow ditch round the base of the motte towards the E. and S. The motte rises about 30 ft. above
the bailey and is an oval of about 90 yards by 70 yards;
the top and sides have been much disturbed and there
is a path running up the S.W. slope. The ground
falls rapidly on the W. side of the bailey and there is
a slighter slope on the E. which is bordered by the
deeply sunk roadway. To the S. of the scarp of the
bailey is a large rhomboidal enclosure. To the N.
of the motte is a quarry which has much damaged the
work. There seems to be no historical evidence of
the existence of a castle here, but the analogous work
(3) in the lower land to the E. may indicate that a
castle was first constructed there, with subsequent
removal to the ridge-top owing to the dampness of the
b(3) Earthwork, 150 yards E. of (2), appears to be
the much damaged remains of a motte and bailey castle.
The motte, at the W. end, is of very irregular shape,
now 39 yards by 50 yards, and only about 6 ft. high
on the N. but considerably more to the S. where the
ground slopes away. There are no definite traces of a
ditch, but to the E. are the scarps of an irregularly
shaped bailey of about 2 acres.
b(4) Stake Farm, house nearly 1¼ m. S.S.W. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are
of rubble and the roofs are covered with thatch and
slate. It was built in the 17th century and has a later
addition at the back. There are some original windows
and a doorway reset in the addition. There is also a
reset stone with the initials and date D.D. 1607.
Behind the house is a 17th-century cottage with an
original window of four lights with a label. There is
also an original fireplace with a chamfered head-beam.
b(5) Stake Dairy-House, house 320 yards S.S.E. of
(4), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the
roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century and
retains an original four-light window with a label.
Inside the building are an original muntin and plank
partition, an original fireplace and some exposed
a(6) House, just south of the church, has walls built
of rubble and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in
the 17th or early in the 18th century. The windows in
the W. front are of three lights and retain their original
b(7) Horsey Farm, nearly 2 miles S. of the church,
has rubble-built walls, in places plastered, and the roofs
are thatched. It was built late in the 17th or early in
the 18th century. It retains its original wood-framed
windows of three lights.