40 FLEET (E.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. aLII, N.E. bLIII, N.W. cLIII, S.W.)
Fleet is a parish on the coast 7 m. S.S.W. of Dorchester.
c(1) Old Parish Church, now a mortuary chapel,
stands at East Fleet. The walls are of local rubble with
freestone dressings and the roofs are covered with stone
slates. The Chancel is of uncertain but mediaeval date.
The church was damaged and partly destroyed by a
gale in 1824; in 1827 the chancel was repaired and
enclosed by a new W. wall and the rest of the church
was demolished, being replaced by a new church (2) on
a different site.
The Old Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (17¼ ft. by
13¼ ft.) has a 17th or 18th-century E. window; the
gable-cross is old. The side walls have each the blocked
opening of a former window with a four-centred head.
Fittings—Brasses: See monuments (1 and 2).
Monuments: On E. wall—(1) to Margarit (Hyde), wife of
Robert Mohun, 1603, stone tablet with broken pediment
and urn, brass plate with inscription, shield-of-arms and
kneeling figures of man in armour, wife, nine sons and
eight daughters; (2) to Maximilian Mohun, 1612,
stone tablet as (1), brass plate with inscription, shield-of-arms and kneeling figures of man in armour and
wife at prayer-desk, five sons and eight daughters; on
S. wall, (3) to Francis Mohun, 1711–2, stone tablet
with pendants, cornice, pediment and shield-of-arms.
The Parish Church, Plan
b(2) Parish Church of the Holy Trinity stands
540 yards N.N.W. of the old church. The walls are
of ashlar and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built
at the expense of the vicar, George Gould, between 1827
and 1829 in Gothic style; Stickland was the architect.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (7½ ft. deep)
has recesses in the E., N. and S. walls with arched heads
springing from slender attached shafts, the plaster soffits
containing cusped panelling; from the forward shafts
spring the ribs of the vaulted plaster roof (Plate 112).
The chancel-arch has been widened, destroying the W.
half of the recesses in the N. and S. walls. The aisleless Nave (40 ft. by 15 ft.) has a plaster roof with two
rows of cinquefoil panels. The West Tower (9½ ft.
square) is of three stages; across the W. face of the
third is a band of stone quatrefoil panels with an angel
in the middle holding a blank shield; inside, the
ground stage has a panelled plaster ceiling. All the
parapet walls are embattled, with pinnacles carried up
over the buttresses.
Fittings—Glass: In the W. tower—in W. window,
conventional foliage including Tudor rose, reset, 18th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to John
Gould, son of George Gould and his wife Abigail
(Goodden) of Over Compton, 1818, white marble wall-monument (Plate 111) with three figures carved in high
relief and partly in the round grouped round an urn,
with shield-of-arms in the foreground and inscription-tablet below. Plate: (from old parish church) includes
a cup and cover-paten of 1664, a stand-paten or bowl
and cover, probably of the same date, modern crosses
added on tops of both covers, and a paten of 1732.
Royal Arms: In nave—over W. door, in stone,
mutilated, 1814–1837. Miscellanea: In tower—on S.
wall, white marble tablet recording destruction of old
church by storm in 1824, beginning of present church,
1827, and consecration, 1829.
b(3) School, 60 yards S. of Holy Trinity (2), now
disused, has walls of ashlar and slate-covered roofs.
An inscription along the upper part of the W. wall
records that it was built by Catherine Barbara Jackson
in 1844 and enlarged by Wyndham C. Goodden in 1894;
approximately two-fifths of the building to the S. comprise the later extension. It is rectangular, with gabled
N. and S. ends and angle-buttresses; the parapet walls
are embattled. The doorway in the N. and windows
in the W. front have two-centred chamfered openings
with moulded labels over; above one of the windows
is a shield-of-arms of Jackson, and above the doorway
a small round window
a(4) Fleet House, nearly 1¼ m. W.N.W. of the old
church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
stone and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has
been very much altered but seems to incorporate a
building of the 17th century, which may perhaps be
represented by the present S. wing with parts of the
E. and W. wings. The E. part of the house is perhaps
an 18th-century addition when the house was remodelled. It was again remodelled in 1880 and was
restored in 1896. The external features are mainly
modern but the cellar-wall, at the W. end of the building, is old and has two 17th-century three-light
windows; there is a similar window in the S. wall.
Inside the house, the S.E. room on the ground floor
has a 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs and
square head. Reset in a garden-wall, W.N.W. of the
house, is a 17th-century doorway with moulded jambs
and four-centred arch in a square head. The brick
stable-building, though dated 1806, was built probably
in the 18th century and has a pediment and bell-turret.