82 SHIPTON GORGE (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXVIII, S.E.)
Shipton Gorge is a parish and village 3 m. E. of
(1) Parish Church of St. Martin, formerly a
chapel of Burton Bradstock, stands on the S. side of the
village. The walls of the tower are of local rubble with
dressings of the same material. The West Tower was
built c. 1400 but the rest of the church was entirely
rebuilt in 1862.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (10 ft. by
9 ft.) is of two stages with an embattled parapet and
gargoyles; there is a stair-turret on the S. side. The
tower-arch is modern. The W. doorway has chamfered
jambs and triangular arch in a square head with blank
shields and cleavers with enriched blades in the
spandrels; the restored W. window is of three trefoiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. The
bell-chamber has, in the E. and N. walls, a loop-light;
in the W. wall is a window of two trefoiled lights with
a quatrefoil in a two-centred head.
Fittings—Bells: four; 3rd by Thomas Purdue,
1655, perhaps recast. Font: heptagonal bowl with
three trefoil-headed panels in each face, splayed and
cylindrical stem and plain base, 13th-century. Painting:
In vestry—of David, painted on boards in moulded
frame, 18th or 19th-century. Plate: includes a shallow
Elizabethan cup (Plate 28) with a band of engraved
ornament and a cover-paten of the same date.
(2) Innsacre Farm, house 1,130 yards N.N.W. of
the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in
the 17th century but the S.E. part of the house seems
to have been added or rebuilt late in the same century
and the porch is of the later date. The front has stonemullioned windows, those to the ground-floor with
labels; the outer doorway of the porch has a four-centred head; the inner doorway has a square head.
S.E. of the porch is an early 18th-century niche with a
round shell-head. There are two 17th-century stone
windows in the S.E. end. Inside the building one room
has an open timbered ceiling and an original fireplace;
in the wall beside the fireplace is some timber-construction of uncertain use.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of early 18th-century date and of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are
thatched or covered with modern materials. Some of
the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original
(3) Cottage, on the E. side of the road, ¼ m. N.W. of
the church, was built in the 17th century.
(4) Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, 200 yards
N.W. of the church, was built in the 17th century and
retains two original stone-mullioned windows with
(5) Cottage, two tenements, on the N. side of the
road 100 yards E.S.E. of (4).
(6) Cottage, 70 yards N.E. of the church.
(7) Home Farm, house 70 yards E. of (6).
(8) Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 80 yards E.
(9) House, 1,230 yards E.N.E. of the church.
(10) Broad Sturthill Farm, house 1½ m. E.N.E. of the
church, has a 17th-century E. wing; the rest of the
house is modern. The old wing retains some original
Earthwork on Shipton Hill in Shipton Gorge parish
(11) Earthwork on Shipton Hill (565 ft. above
O.D.), ¾ m. N.E. of the church, forms an enclosure
of about ¾ acre. The hill-top has been artificially
steepened on the N. and S. sides and the two ends form
natural ramped causeways leading up to the summit.
At the base of the hill on both the N. and S. sides is a
ditch with outer rampart of no great strength, and at
the present time, for part of their length, both have
almost disappeared. Both the ditch and rampart stop
short of the E. and W. ends of the hill.
Between the base of the mound and the outer
ditch at the eastern half of the S. side is a berm, but it
seems probable that it is merely a natural outcrop of
rock. The two pathways leading up the slope on the
N. and S. are probably modern. On the top of the
enclosure near the middle is a cross hedge-bank which
appears to have been formed along the eastern scarp of
a ditch to an earlier bank, traces of which can be seen
immediately E. of the existing hedge-bank. Near the
middle of the enclosure is a circular mound, of about
28 ft. diameter and 14 in. high.
Beyond the rampart on the N. side, and to a much
lesser degree on the S. also, are a series of rough terraces. They would seem to be a natural formation
though their surfaces in one or two places show signs
of disturbance. Warne mentions the disturbed nature
of the N.E. part of the field immediately to the N.E. of
this camp and suggests the possibility of its being a
Celtic village. This disturbance is still visible but is
(12) Mound, probably a bowl barrow, on Hammiton
Hill, ¾ m. E. of the church, is about 86 ft. by 76 ft. across
and 5½ ft. high.
(13) Lynchets, on the S. slope of Bonscombe Hill,
1,200 yards N.W. of the church, form four terraces,
from 25 ft. to 40 ft. wide.
South Perrott, see Perrott, South.