8 CHICKERELL (6480)
(O.S. 6 ins. aSY 67 NW, bSY 67 NE, cSY 68 SW, dSY 68 SE)
The modern parish of Chickerell covering 3,500 acres
comprises an irregular strip of land stretching some 5 m.
N. from the coast and adjoining Weymouth on the W.
The S. part is a generally low-lying area under 100 ft.
above O.D. on Oxford Clay. To the N. the land is
etched into a series of narrow E.-W. ridges and valleys
over the complex structure of the underlying Jurassic
Clays, sands and limestones, with a general rise north-wards to the sharp Portland Stone ridge of Friar
Waddon Hill at 375 ft. above O.D.
Readjustments of the original parish boundaries in
the 20th century have resulted in large territorial gains
from the old parishes of Buckland Ripers, including the
church and village, Upwey, Radipole and Wyke Regis
(see also Weymouth). The original parish of Chickerell
occupied the S. part of the present parish. Its three
settlements of Chickerell, Putton and East Chickerell
lay in a line along the E.-flowing Chickerell Brook.
Only Chickerell itself is recorded in Domesday Book
but the entry may cover the other two. There are
slight settlement remains at Putton. The old parish of
Buckland Ripers lay to the N. and consisted of a
rectangular block of land on either side of the Buckland
Brook on which lie the two Domesday settlements of
Tatton and Buckland. A narrow projection to the N.
in the N.E. corner was apparently the land of another
Domesday settlement, Holwell, which lies in the next
valley to the N.
Many Romano-British burials have been found in
Putton Brickyards and at Buckland Ripers. The parish
church of St. Mary is the principal monument.
c(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary stands to the
N.W. of Chickerell village. The walls are of local stone
rubble with dressings of the same material and the roofs
are covered with blue slates. The Chancel and Nave
were built in the late 13th century, and in the 14th
century the buttress and bell-cote were added on the W.
end of the nave. In 1834 the North Aisle was added. The
South Porch was rebuilt in 1722, and the North Vestry is
modern. The chancel was restored in 1865, and there
were further restorations in 1875 and 1896. A drawing
of the church in 1804 by the Rev. John Skinner in the
British Museum (Add. MS. 33642, f. 54) shows the eaves
of the chancel at about the level of the present eaves of
Among the fittings the font, the incised slab and the
pulpit are of interest.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (18¼ ft. by 13 ft.),
which has had the N. and S. walls lowered since 1804, has a
late 13th-century E. window and a modern doorway in the
N. wall to the vestry. In the S. wall are two 19th-century
windows and, between them, a blocked 13th-century doorway
with continuous chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The
late 13th-century chancel arch has been rebuilt and widened;
it is two-centred and of two orders, the inner hollow-chamfered
and the outer chamfered, with roll-moulded stops; the stop
on the S. has been cut away to a splay.
The Nave (31¼ ft. by 15½ ft.) has had the N. wall removed
entirely and replaced by three 19th-century cast-iron columns.
The S. wall has a chamfered plinth and a moulded string close
under the eaves. High up at the E. end is a small single-light
window probably of the 14th century with an ogee opening
and pierced spandrels in a square head with a flat chamfered
rear arch; it is over the E. haunch of a large 15th-century
window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
distorted two-centred head with a label with coarsely-cut
head-stops of a man and a woman. The S. doorway has a
two-centred head and may be of the 13th century; it has been
plastered and heavily coated with paint. The much altered
and partly reset 14th-century window further W. is of two
trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; it was
perhaps transomed; the reveals are chamfered externally and,
internally, they and the mullion are rebated for shutters; the
lights have been extended downward some 3 ft., a transom
being reused as the sill. The gabled W. wall has a central
buttress in three stages and at the gable apex is an ashlar
bell-cote with two round-headed openings under a gablet with
The North Aisle (14½ ft. wide) is gabled to the E. and W.
and each end wall contains a two-light window; these and the
three-light window in the N. wall have simple intersecting
tracery in two-centred heads. The W. doorway has chamfered
jambs, a two-centred chamfered head and a stone tablet above
inscribed: 'This aisle built 1834 by subscription', and with the
names of the churchwardens.
The South Porch (8½ ft. by 6½ ft.) is gabled to the S., the
parapet having a flat stone coping and a trefoiled apex-stone.
The entrance has a chamfered segmental head and chamfered
jambs; above it is a small stone tablet with the initials and
date IH 1722.
The Roofs are of the 19th century.
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible, said to be uninscribed, one
recast c. 1900. Door: In entrance to S. porch, nail-studded
plank door with strap hinges, 18th-century. Font: circular
tub-shaped bowl with nearly straight sides, shallow band of
fluted label-ornament under rim, bands of bead and interlace
ornament round the lower part and three incised lines between,
12th-century, on modern cylindrical stem and step. Gallery:
continuous across full width of W. end of church, with plain
panelled front, 1834.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel—on S.
wall, (1) to Rev. William Gorton, 1830, black and white
marble tablet; (2) to Rev. John Mills Arnold, 1850, white and
black marble wall-tablet with fluted side brackets, pediment
and antefixae, by Raggett, Weymouth. In N. aisle—on N.
wall, (3) to Philippus Keay, 1796, oval white marble wall-tablet; (4) to Charles Bowles, 1822, black and white marble
tablet; (5) Purbeck marble slab with incised figure of priest in
academical dress, crudely drawn, 15th-century, cut down and
reset, on modern corbels. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (6) to
Prudence, wife of William Davis, 1654/5, table-tomb with
arched panel on side and moulded top. Floor-slab: At entrance
to S. porch, rectangular, with traces of black-letter inscription
in one corner.
Paintings: In nave, two framed oil paintings on canvas:
'Noli me tangere', after Raphael, late 18th-century; the
Visitation (?), late 18th-century. Pulpit (Plate 28): six-sided, of
oak with fluted and reeded styles, sides divided into three tiers
of panels by enriched rails, the lower two tiers with round-headed panels cut out of the solid and containing arabesques
of stylised trees, the uppermost with guilloche patterns, excepting one panel carved with the date and initials '1630 RW.IM.',
with modern cornice, two plain modern sides and some
modern repairs, on modern pine base. Stoup: E. of S. doorway,
recess with roughly cut dishing in projecting sill with chamfered under edge, mediaeval. Tablets: In nave, high on W.
wall, Creed and Lord's Prayer painted on cinquefoil-headed
boards, 19th-century. Miscellaneous: In nave, in S. wall,
grotesque head-stop, mediaeval.
d(2) The former Parish Church of St. Nicholas,
Buckland Ripers (651825), stands 1¼ m. N.N.E. of
(1). The walls are of coursed local stone rubble with
dressings of the same material, and the roofs are covered
with blue slates with stone slates at the verges. The
mediaeval building was badly damaged by fire about
the middle of the 17th century and in 1655 was reconstructed; in that year James Frampton of Buckland
left £20 towards the rebuilding. The church now
includes a Chancel, Nave and South Porch, all, except
perhaps the chancel, for the most part of the later date.
It has been drastically restored in the past century.
Former Parish Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (15 ft. by 13 ft.) has
a gabled E. end without parapet and in the wall below is a late
19th-century two-light window. In the S. wall is a single-light
window with square head and label; though of the 17th
century and of two lights originally it has been much restored
and the mullion removed. The chancel arch is of the date of
the reconstruction in 1655, but widened subsequently to
nearly the full width of the nave, the N. and S. walls of the
chancel being cut back to accommodate the responds in their
new positions; it is now of elliptical form, of two orders, with
a keystone inscribed IF LW GC and extending into a shaped
pendant; the outer hollow-chamfered order is continuous, the
chamfered inner order springs from semi-octagonal responds
with moulded capitals.
The Nave (29½ ft. by 16¾ ft.) has had a part of the N. wall
and the part of the S. wall E. of the porch and the upper part
of the rest rebuilt. In the N. wall is a mid 17th-century
two-light window. The N. doorway further W. is probably
of mediaeval origin though in rebuilt walling. The two
17th-century stone-mullioned windows in the S. wall are
reset; they are of two square-headed lights with moulded
labels and much restored. The S. doorway is of the 17th
century and has chamfered jambs, segmental head and triangular rear arch. The W. wall is gabled, with a bell-cote on
the apex of the gable; the W. window of c. 1500 has two
cinque-foiled lights and sunk spandrels in a square head with a
moulded label with square-return stops with foliated centres.
The bell-cote is probably of the 17th century and has two plain
segmental-headed openings under a gable.
The South Porch (5½ ft. by 7¾ ft.) has had the E. wall rebuilt
since the 17th century. The entrance archway has chamfered
jambs and segmental head and is dated 1655.
The Roofs are of the late 19th century.
Fittings—Bell: one, inaccessible. Font: octagonal stone bowl
with plain sides and chamfered under edge on stop-chamfered
square pedestal and round base, mediaeval. Plate: includes cup
and stand-paten both of 1663, with maker's mark IG.
Unless otherwise described the houses are of two
storeys, of rubble and with slate-covered roofs. Houses
(3) and (29) are interesting examples of vernacular
c(3) House is of the early 17th century. The walls are of
thin, carefully coursed rubble with substantial quoins at the
angles; the roofs are tiled. The plan originally comprised two
heated rooms, the front doorway leading directly into the
larger of the two, which was the hall. The original staircase
was beside the hall fireplace. The central doorway has chamfered stone jambs and cambered head; flanking it asymmetrically are two three-light stone-mullioned windows; above
these last are two smaller windows, originally of two lights
but now with the mullions removed. In a garden wall is a
reset stone inscribed NM 1625.
c(4) Cottage has walls of rendered rubble with brick
dressings; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the early 19th
century, and the plan comprises a staircase hall flanked by two
rooms, each with a fireplace in the end gable wall.
c(5) House is of two storeys with attics and of rubble with
a symmetrical brick front in Flemish bond; the mansard roof
is tiled. A stone set between the first-floor windows is inscribed
CRF 1788, the date of the building. The central doorway has a
round head, and the flanking windows, one to each side on
each floor, have segmental heads.
c(6) House has a thatched roof and is of the late 17th
century. The ground floor has two heated rooms. Fixed on
the front is a metal 'Imperial' insurance sign.
c(7) Former Barn, now a blacksmith's shop, has a tilecovered roof. A stone in the walling is inscribed WR 1758. It
retains two old timber-framed windows.
c(8) Cottage has a symmetrical front and is of the early
c(9) Cottages, two, have thatched roofs and are dated
c(10) Cottages, two, semi-detached with adjoining living
rooms, have some brick dressings and thatched roofs. They are
ostensibly of the early 19th century but three stone buttresses
on the E. side show that an earlier building has been incorporated, perhaps a small barn.
c(11) House, of two storeys with attics and of brick with a
rendered front, has a mansard roof. It is of the late 18th
c(12) House, 'The Elms', is of two storeys with attics and
of rendered brickwork with rusticated quoins. It is early
Victorian. The ground floor has two large french windows
flanking a doorway with a three-centred head, all opening to
an iron veranda.
c(13) House has a central doorway above which is a stone
inscribed 1578 IR. The plan originally comprised a hall and an
unheated room, but no original partitions remain. The date
1829 has been cut on the original date stone and refers to the
building of a brick wing at right angles to the earlier building.
c(14) House, of three storeys, with brick walls in part
rendered, is of the early 19th century. The principal elevation,
facing S. to the garden, is symmetrically designed and has a
stucco plat-band at second-floor level. Over the garden gateway is a reset mediaeval corbel.
c(15) House is of the early 19th century with rendered
walls and tiled roofs. The W. elevation has two three-light
sash windows on each floor.
c(16) 'Turk's Head', public house, of the early 19th
century, is similar to (15).
c(17) Cottages, two, of the early 19th century, were
originally separate; they are now linked by a Victorian
c(18) Bank Farm, house, is of the 17th century. The original doorway has stop-moulded jambs and four-centred
head, and the two original windows are of three lights with
hollow-chamfered mullions. The S. end has been rebuilt.
Inside on the first floor is a 17th-century stone fireplace with
a four-centred head and stop-chamfered jambs.
c(19) Cottage, with a thatched roof, was built in the 18th
century. The very simple front is nearly symmetrical. On plan
it has a central chimney with a fireplace in both the ground-floor rooms.
c(20) Former Workshop, of rubble and slate, is of the
early 19th century. To the N., at right angles to it, is a contemporary range of cottages.
c(21) Morn Lodge, house, was built in the first half of the
19th century. The S. front has two windows on both ground
and first floors with two-centred heads and interlacing glazingbars; the ground floor has a covered veranda with trelliswork
supports to the roof. The E. side has a later brick extension to
the N.; on the first floor is an original round window.
c(22) Barn (649805) at Putton, of rubble with a thatched
roof, is of the early 19th century. It is about 56 ft. by 22 ft.,
with a porch on the W. side. A smaller porch on the E. side
has been demolished.
a(23) House (645802), of brick, has a symmetrical front
and is of c. 1830–40.
a(24) Montevideo House (647796), of two and three
storeys, with walls of stucco-faced brickwork and a slate roof
of low pitch behind a parapet, was built c. 1800 and altered in
c. 1830. The windows have segmental heads. Four Cottages on
the opposite (W.) side of the road are of c. 1830. The former
Coach House, N.W. of the house, has a cupola with turned
balusters and a swept, lead-covered roof surmounted by a
b(25) Cottage (650793) is of the early 19th century. It was
heightened in brick later in the same century.
b(26) Cottages, two (651793), at Charlestown, of one
storey with attics and with tiled roofs, are of the early 19th
d(27) Manor House, N.E. of the church (2), is of two
storeys; it is of stone, now faced with stucco, and the roofs,
which were formerly thatch-covered, are slated. It was built
in the second half of the 17th century, after the fire which had
damaged the church and destroyed much of the village, and
remodelled and extended subsequently, chiefly in the 19th
century. The original building was L-shaped and now forms
the S. and E. sides of the main part of the existing house.
c(28) Middle (formerly Buckland) Farm, house
(647822), is of the early 17th century; scratched on the S.
doorway is the date 1619. Nearly all the old features have
been removed except on the S. side, where the doorway has
a triangular head and the windows have ovolo-moulded
c(29) Tatton Farm, house (633827), now with a modern
asbestos roof, is of the early 17th century. The original plan
must have been unusual, though the S. end of the house has
been so altered that the complete form is not recoverable. The
proportions of the plan suggest it was divided originally by
a through passage, no doubt formed by plank-and-muntin
partitions, entered from the W. through the existing doorway
with a four-centred head. The N. room has two three-light
windows with hollow-chamfered mullions. The S. room was
smaller, with a projection on the W. side, presumably for a
staircase. At the S. end of this projection is a blocked doorway;
at the N. end, at about the same height as the first-floor joists,
is a small blocked window. A modern wing abuts the projection.
d(30) Cottages, four (654831), at Holwell, are of the early
19th century. They were built two rooms thick, with two
storeys at the front and one at the back; to the latter a second
storey has since been added. The plan of each cottage comprised two rooms. N.E. of the foregoing is a Range comprising
a house, with a tiled roof, and a barn. The house may be of the
late 18th century, the barn rather later.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
c(31) Settlement Remains at Putton (64958035)
lie 700 yds. S.E. of St. Mary's church on ground sloping
gently E. and N. at about 100 ft. above O.D. The first
known reference to Putton is in 1237 (Fägersten, 153).
Several small banked and scarped closes cover some 3 acres
around a hollow-way in pasture immediately E. of Putton
Lane opposite Fairfield House. The hollow-way, up to 30 ft.
wide and 4 ft. deep, runs N. for 100 yds. from the angle in
the road; another apparent hollow-way runs up to this angle
from the E. Three closes W. of the N. to S. hollow-way are
each of about 1/5 acre and roughly square; two to the E.,
about 75 ft. and 105 ft. wide, seem originally to have been
about 300 ft. long. Pottery from pipe trenches immediately
N. of the remains is largely of the 14th and 15th centuries,
though some might be 16th-century. Much stone rubble and
variations in the depth of loam over the clay subsoil were
noted in one of these trenches.
Hedgerows preserve a pattern of enclosed strip fields E. and
S.E. of the earthworks. Some of these fields apparently formed
part of 'Putton Plain', completely enclosed by 1792. There
were also an East Field and a West Field. (Enclosure award,
but no map, in D.C.R.O.; R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821: 2458.)
c(32) Settlement Remains (634827) lie over a small
area immediately E. of Tatton Farm (Monument 29), formerly
in Buckland Ripers parish. Vestiges of two closes abut on a
ditch or hollow-way. 'Tatetun' occurs in Domesday Book.
(Hutchins II, 491; Fägersten, 158; R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821:
d(33) Settlement Remains (65128252 to 65528237),
formerly part of the village of Buckland Ripers and in the old
parish of that name, lie S. and S.E. of the Manor House
(Monument 27). They cover 3 acres and are much disturbed
but include closes about 360 ft. long and of unequal widths,
bounded by banks 1 ft. high. (Hutchins II, 491; Fägersten,
157; R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821: 4460.)
Other Earthworks and Allied Monuments
(34–35) Roman Remains, p. 595.