18 LULWORTH, EAST (8582)
(O.S. 6 ins. aSY 88 SW, bSY 88 SE)
East Lulworth, 5 m. S.W. of Wareham, is a coastal
parish covering 2,311 acres. It stretches from the sea
on the S., across an area of Chalk rising to over 500 ft.
above O.D. at Flower's Barrow, and north-eastwards
across the well-wooded outcrops of Reading Beds and
London Clay to the heathland on Bagshot Beds.
There were formerly two settlements in the parish,
East Lulworth itself and the now deserted settlement of
Gatemerston in the S.W., no trace of which remains.
The present village lies immediately E. of Lulworth
Park. Lulworth castle, the successor to the 'goodly
manor place' of the Newburghs mentioned by Leland
(Itin. III, 50, 53), is of interest both for its early position
in the history of romantic architecture and also for its
connection with the Weld family who acquired it in the
mid 17th century. In the late 18th century they built the
Roman Catholic church, which was the first to be built
in England since the Reformation, and which makes an
interesting comparison with the slightly earlier Anglican
church of St. George at Portland. The park in which the
castle and the Roman Catholic church stand was laid
out by Edward Weld in the second half of the 18th
century to replace extensive formal gardens. The formation of the park involved the destruction of part of the
old village and the building of new cottages further E.
The parish church, also in the park, is said to have been
partly pulled down late in the century, but restored with
a small apse in place of the former chancel. The present
village includes five buildings of the 17th century, but
it is largely a development of the late 18th and early 19th
The S. part of the parish is now used as ranges by the
Army; it contains Monastery Farm (26) which is not of
architectural interest but is something of a curiosity,
having been built originally as a monastery for French
refugee monks (Hutchins I, 385).
The principal monuments are the parish church, the
Roman Catholic church, the castle, and the hill-fort
of Flower's Barrow.
b(1) The Parish Church of St. Andrew stands to the
W. of the village, in Lulworth Park. The walls are of
Purbeck stone and carstone and the roofs are tiled. The
West Tower (Plate 3) is of the late 15th century. The
rest of the church was apparently reduced in size in the
1780s and then entirely rebuilt in 1864 to the designs of
J. Hicks (Report of John Hicks, 1860, D.C.R.O., P77/
CW I; The Builder, 20 Aug. 1864, 622; Dorset Procs.
XLV (1924), 31–2).
The tower is a handsome building and unusual in
having large corbels of unknown purpose near the
Architectural Description—The Tower (14½ ft. square) is
divided externally into four stages by weathered offsets above a
moulded plinth. It has diagonal buttresses; those to the E.
are of four stages and those to the W. are of five with the
weathering of the lowest stage of each finishing in an ogee
crocketed finial. The buttresses are surmounted by pinnacles
above which the corners of the tower are splayed. At the wall-head is an embattled parapet above a moulded string with
paterae and with gargoyles and pinnacles at the four corners.
The tower arch (Plate 100) is triangular, rounded at the springing, and of two moulded orders on the E. side but simply
splayed on the W. On each jamb, the mouldings, which stop
on a high splayed plinth, are in part interrupted to give
place to a niche with moulded pedestal and ogee crocketed
canopy. In the N. wall a doorway with four-centred head
leads to a vice. The W. doorway has a moulded four-centred
arch under a label returned from the plinth and with plain
shields in the spandrels. In the N., S. and W. walls are windows
each of two cinque-foiled lights in a moulded square head
with a label and with a moulded four-centred rear arch, the
moulding being carried down the splays; the S. window has
been entirely renewed. Across each corner of the ground
storey are ashlar squinches supported on demi-angels holding
shields, now defaced. Higher up on the squinches and immediately below the timber floor are traceried pendants of a
stone vault apparently never completed; those in the N.E.
and N.W. corners have been destroyed. In place of a vault
there is a floor with moulded timber plates and intersecting
beams carrying chamfered joists laid flat. At the intersection
of the beams is a carved foliated boss. The second stage
has a small square-headed light to the N. The top stage has in
each wall three windows each of a single transomed light with
deeply moulded square head and reveals; the lights are trefoiled
under the head and under the transom. Between the window
heads outside are boldly projecting moulded corbels.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Wallis, 1589; 2nd with
black-letter inscription 'Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum',
mediaeval; 3rd by William Knight, 1718–19. Bell-frame,
probably 16th-century. Bracket: over tower arch, of moulded
stone, 15th-century. Brass: In nave, in Purbeck marble floor-slab, to Henry Webster, inscription plate, 15th-century. Font:
of Purbeck marble, octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panelled
sides, panelled stem with moulded capping, 15th-century, on
modern base. Hatchments: In chancel, (1) of William, son of Sir
Francis Baring, 1820. In nave, (2) of Humphrey Weld, 1722; (3)
of Edward Weld, 1761; (4) of Edward Weld, 1775; (5) of Sir
John Weld, 1674; (6) of William Weld, 1698. Now in Lulworth Castle estate office, (7) of Thomas Weld, 1816. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave, on N. wall, (1)
to William, son of Sir Francis Baring, 1820, white marble
tablet. In churchyard, headstones—E. and N.E. of chancel, (2)
to John Seamor, 1710; (3) to Cressam Taylor, late 17th-century,
defaced; (4) to Mary, wife of John Pope, 1709/10; N. of nave,
(5) to William Smedmore, 1683/4; (6) to John, son of Bernard
and Rebekah Smedmore, 1709; N. of W. tower, (7) to Elizabeth, wife of Benjamin Baker, 1699. Floor-slabs: In chancel,
(1) to Josephus Tomes, vicar, 1727/8; (2) to Joseph, son of
John and Rachel Vincent, 1707/8. In nave, (3) to Rachel
Vincent, 1716/7; (4) to Mrs. Eleanor . . . mes, 18th-century.
Organ-case: of mahogany, with pierced panels showing pipes
in five groups above solid lower panels, early 19th-century.
Plate: includes cup of 1572. Royal Arms: in tower, painted on
b(2) The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary
(Plates 104, 105), with walls of ashlar and roofs covered
with lead, was built for Thomas Weld in 1786–7 to
the designs of John Tasker, architect and builder. Tasker's
drawings are in the possession of Col. Weld at Lulworth,
and a building account book of Thomas Weld is preserved in the Dorset County Record Office. (fn. 1) Superficial alterations were made to the windows and the
interior decoration in mid-Victorian times under the
supervision of J. A. Hansom, but all evidence of them
was removed in the restoration and redecoration completed by H. S. Goodhart-Rendel in 1953. The partition
enclosing the vestibule is a replacement of the latter date.
St. Mary's church is of considerable interest, not only
for its central planning and the unusual Classical composition of its elevations, but also for its quality, implying as it must a confidence among Roman Catholics at
the time of building (after the Relief Act of 1778)
despite the Gordon Riots of 1780. Reputedly, George III
told Weld to make it look as little like a church as
possible. It stands in an idyllic setting.
Architectural Description—The church has a central domed
space, entered from the N. by a segmental vestibule, segmental
transept-recesses to E. and W. and a semicircular sanctuary to
the S. Behind the sanctuary is a second entrance flanked by a
vestry and a staircase, forming a rectangular southern arm. The
staircase leads down to a small crypt. The S. front (Plate 104)
has a central doorway with a Tuscan porch surmounted by an
artificial stone urn all within an arched wall-recess flanked by
niches, containing large artificial stone urns, with windows
above them. The other elevations are segmental on plan with
rectangular piers, containing niches and surmounted by large
artificial stone urns, on the flanks. The N. front has a central
doorway with a Tuscan porch surmounted by artificial stone
urns. The windows, to ground and gallery floors, are
rectangular and now have modern steel glazing bars; formerly
each had late 19th-century stone frames forming two round-headed lights inserted in the openings.
Inside, four large openings, with segmental arches springing
from Ionic pilasters, lead out of the central space (Plate 105).
Between the pilasters to N., E. and W., Roman-Doric columns
support galleries with balustraded fronts. In the sanctuary to
the S. architectural continuity of the colonnade and balustrade
treatment is effected by a wall decoration of pilasters with their
entablatures and by balustrades in two arched openings that
give indirect light on the altar.
Fittings—Altar: of various marbles with bronze enrichment,
with front in three panels and in the middle panel two kneeling angels in bronze with censers flanking an alabaster urn;
in the retable a tabernacle enriched with semi-precious stones
and supporting a Crucifix with Mary Magdalene in bronze at
the foot of the Cross and the figure of Christ carved in ivory,
late 18th-century, made in Rome and intended for the first
Jesuit church to be opened in England but sold to Mr. Weld
c. 1786 (letter of Fr. Thorpe, S.J., to Lord Arundell, 22 August
1787, now in the possession of Mr. R. J. R. Arundell). Candlesticks: six, of gilt bronze, 18 ins. high, enriched with wreaths,
foliage and cherubs' heads, 18th-century. Cope (Plate 31):
made with Italian embroidery, probably not originally worked
for a cope, mid 18th-century. Furniture: in vestry, fitted
mahogany drawers and cupboard and semicircular niche above
with mahogany lining, contemporary with church.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In crypt—oval wall
tablets, (1) to Mary (Stourton), wife of Sir John Weld, 1650;
(2) to Frances Joan, daughter of Sir John Weld, 1673; (3) to
John, son of William Weld; (4) to Sir John Weld, 1674; (5)
to William, son of Sir John Weld, 1698; (6) to Elizabeth
(Shireburn), wife of William Weld, 1688; (7) to Humphrey,
son of William Weld, 1722; (8) to Edward, son of Humphrey
Weld, 1761; (9) to Edward, son of Edward Weld, 1775; (10)
to Margaret (Simeons), wife of Humphrey Weld, 1737; (11) to
Mary Teresa (Vaughan), wife of Edward Weld, 1754; (12) to
Juliana (Petre), wife of Edward Weld, 1772; (13) to Thomas,
son of Edward Weld, 1816; (14) to Lucy Bridget (Clifford),
wife of Thomas Weld, 1815; (15) to Mary (Stanley), wife of
Thomas Weld, 1838; (16) to Mary Anne, daughter of Joseph
Weld, 1846; (17) to Thomas Stanley, S.J., 1805; rectangular
tablets, (18) to William Weld, 1782, and Francis Weld, 1788;
(19) to Edward Joseph Bourchier Weld, 1843. Floor-slab: in
crypt, to John Grou, priest, 1803 (i.e. Jean Nicolas Grou, S.J.).
Organ-case (Plate 105): in E. gallery—a separate console facing
the body of the chapel is fronted with pipes and has a small
figure playing a harp on a projection; the case of the main
organ has the lower part of solid wood panelling, the upper
part with two open round-headed panels filled with pipes
between three projecting groups of pipes, and the top finished
with a cornice surmounted by a cross and two urns, inscribed
'Richard Seede Bristol Fecit 1785'. Pavement: of white freestone
with geometrical pattern in black slate. Prie-dieu: two, with
stools with tapered legs and fluted bearers and oval dies at the
corners, late 18th-century. Plate etc. (Plates 22, 27): includes
ciborium and cover; cruet comprising oval dish and two jugs,
one decorated with fountains and surmounted by the letter A,
the other decorated with vines and surmounted by the letter V,
by Frederick Kandler, 1776; silver-handled brush sprinkler and
holy-water bucket by Charles Kandler, 1786; chalice of silver
gilt by Benjamin Pyne, 1704, and another of 1791; incense
boat; monstrance and paten; censer by William Tuite, 1772.
Pieces undated are probably late 18th-century. Tabernacle
(Plate 9): 2½ ft. high, of mahogany with marquetry and
painted decoration, with coupled marbled Classical columns
at angles and with fluted domed top, formerly surmounted
by a crucifix, late 18th-century.
Bridges, two, N. of the church, over a ha-ha, have segmental
brick arches with keystones dated 1791.
b(3) Lulworth Castle (Plates 101–3), of brick faced
with Purbeck and Portland stone rubble and ashlar,
comprises a four-square building of three storeys with
four-storey towers at the corners all rising above a
basement which is partly masked by a wide terrace
forming a podium, itself containing basement rooms.
It was begun c. 1590 by Henry Howard, 2nd Viscount
Bindon, or his brother Thomas (P.S. new information
suggests c. 1608, see p. lviii, footnote). From the latter it
passed to his cousin, Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk.
The exterior at least was virtually complete by 1609, but
Coker's statement (Survey of Dorsetshire (1732), 43) that
it was built with materials from Mount Poynings is
unlikely; Mount Poynings, in West Lulworth (see
Lulworth, W., 34), was built by Thomas, Lord Poynings,
who married Henry Howard's aunt; it was subsequently
held by the heirs and successors of Lord Poynings until
it was acquired by the Earl of Suffolk after 1609 and
reunited with the Lulworth Castle property. The interior
of the castle was still unfinished when it was bought by
Humphrey Weld in 1641. (Hutchins I, 370, 374.)
The architectural treatment of the building is severe
and decoration is limited mainly to a small-scale triumphal-arch motif, and even this is an addition of c. 1700.
The decoration of the arch includes a shield-of-arms of
Weld impaling Stanley commemorating a marriage of
1772, but the whole motif is shown in a drawing of the
castle with formal gardens surrounding it which was
executed by Margaret Weld in 1721 and is reproduced
in Country Life LIX (1926), 54. It also appears, more
clearly, in a Buck engraving of 1733. The doorway
in the middle of the W. elevation is also an addition of
c. 1700. The terrace, which was originally confined
to the E. front, was extended round the N. and S. sides
Remodelling of the interior began under Edward
Weld in the middle of the 18th century: account
books show payments to the Bastards of Blandford in
1740–1756 for decoration, furniture and chimneypieces.
Further work was carried out for Edward Weld, junior,
and Thomas Weld, senior, later in the century: Thomas
Bastard, junior, in 1770 was paid £153 14s. 7½d. (bill
in D.C.R.O.) for work including repairs, redecoration
and provision of sash windows, and in 1787 payments
were made for paving, a staircase, and chimneypieces
(Building Account Book of Thomas Weld). Two drawings endorsed 'Paine's plans for Lulworth Castle' and
'designed 1773' survive but cannot be related to any
work known to have been carried out. About the same
time the formal gardens which had surrounded the
castle were swept away and the park was laid out,
enclosed by a new brick wall. This also involved the
destruction of part of the village (see Monument 27).
The castle was completely gutted by fire in 1929 and
has not been restored. For photographs of the interior
before the fire see Country Life LIX, 55–9.
P.S. Evidence discovered after completion of this plan suggests that '16th century' should read 'c. 1608' (see p. lviii).
Lulworth castle is of special interest. It is a military-looking structure wholly without military intent;
symbolic and associative notions alone, it would seem,
dictated the design. The building forms a solid rectangular block with corner towers in contrast to the
open E and H-shaped planning more often adopted for
contemporary houses. The prototype may be the late
15th-century Wickham Court, Kent, though this has
octagonal towers and a small central courtyard, or
Mount Edgcumbe in Cornwall of 1546, which has
round towers and a hall in the centre rising above the
surrounding roofs to receive clearstorey lighting. Lulworth castle has a central tower-like feature, but only
large enough to contain flues and a staircase. Comparison
may be drawn also with Sherborne new castle built
after 1592 (R.C.H.M., Dorset I, Castleton (5)) and
Bolsover castle designed by John Smythson of 1612–21,
both with angular corner turrets, and with plans drawn
by John Thorpe (cf. T190 with round towers and T191,
192 with square towers). At Longford castle in Wiltshire, built in 1578–9, something of the same allusive
pageantry emerges, but here the original plan is triangular, enclosing an open triangular courtyard, and
the round towers on the salient corners flank façades of
greater elaboration than those at Lulworth; the military
character too is less pronounced.
The windows of Lulworth castle are similar to those
at Wardour old castle inserted by Robert Smythson
in 1576–8 and equally archaic, and the E. rose-window
is much akin to his designs. Indeed Lulworth has many
stylistic affinities with Smythson's work, but there is no
evidence that he was connected with it. (See M.
Girouard, Robert Smythson and the Architecture of the
Elizabethan Era (1966); Sir John Summerson, 'The Book
of Architecture of John Thorpe' in Walpole Soc. Vol. XL
Architectural Description—The castle is square with a circular tower at each corner and the centre carried up above the
general roof level to form a small embattled rectangular tower
with chimneys in the corner turrets. The site slopes down to
the E. and on this lower side is a terrace, which returns along
the N. and S. sides to meet the higher ground to the W. The
E. elevation is of ashlar, the others are rubble-faced with brick
backing. The storeys are marked by string-courses and the
parapets are embattled. On the W. side the lowest string-course is carried across the re-entrant angles in projecting
curves making small platforms for rain-water cisterns.
The windows generally are of two four-centred arched
lights in a square head; two on the ground floor have human
masks below and most of those to the upper floors have lions'
heads below or flanking them. Ranging with the first-floor
windows on the E. front are shell-headed niches containing
18th-century lead statues of the four Cardinal Virtues (Plate 103)
(now removed). The windows on the ground floor show a
change in design: some occupy the full height between the
string-courses defining the ground floor, and some have sills
at a higher level. The change seems to have been decided upon
when the N.W. tower was being built; here the windows have
the tall jambs but the sills have been raised and the windows
reduced in height.
On the E. front (Plate 103) is a round-arched entrance
doorway, with a keystone carved with the arms of Weld, set
in a composition suggesting a triumphal arch. To each side is
a projecting pier with paired engaged Ionic columns on the
front flanking a shell-headed niche and a cartouche carved
subsequently with the arms of Weld (one quartering, the other
impaling Stanley, for Thomas Weld, married 1772, died 1816);
the crowning entablature returns forward over the piers to
form pedestals for two stone statues of Roman emperors. The
whole composition is an embellishment of c. 1700. In the
castle wall between the statues is an original round window
of seven round lights. Smaller round windows to each side
are later insertions, probably of the 19th century.
On the W. elevation the middle of the ground floor
originally had two two-light windows; one light of each
window was lost when a new central doorway was formed
c. 1700. The latter has a semicircular head with the arms of
Weld carved on the keystone and is flanked by rusticated
Tuscan columns carrying an entablature, over which there
was formerly a bust.
The windows to the basement, which is mainly above the
ground, are each of two square-headed lights, but the terrace
covers the lower parts of some of them; ranging with the E.
basement windows are wall-niches with shell heads.
The terrace follows the plan of the castle; it is enclosed by a
stone balustrade and in the wall below are elliptical-headed
doorways and windows, one of which has a keystone dated
1776. On the E. side, the terrace is carried on brick vaulting.
The interior of the castle has been gutted and it is now
evident that many of the walls had been partly rebuilt in brick
in the 18th century and that further alterations were carried
out in the 19th century. The former Great Hall has at the N.W.
corner an opening to the stairhall which is formed by a reused
15th-century stone archway with moulded jambs and a four-centred head. At the E. end are two round-arched openings
with panelled jambs and soffits and with circular recesses above.
The fireplace has a moulded stone surround of the 18th century
set in the blocking of a larger opening which has a relieving
arch over it.
The basement rooms are, or were, covered by ribbed stone
vaults springing from columns with plain or enriched capitals.
Some of the rooms have doorways with four-centred stone
heads, and in the central room to the N. is a big open fireplace
with a segmental-arched head. An external doorway is fitted
with an early 17th-century door with carved enrichment to
every part; it has two round-headed panels, with raised
centres each decorated with a lily-pot, flanked by Ionic
pilasters, an architrave with consoles over the pilasters and
containing a small opening covered by an iron grille, a moulded
frieze and a gadrooned and moulded semicircular head.
bStable Building, to S.E., enclosing a square courtyard, is of
one storey and attics and has walls mainly of brick and tiled
roofs; the building is dated 1777, but the outer walls of the S.
and W. ranges are of older stone rubble and contain the
remains of 17th-century windows. The building was remodelled in c. 1900 with timber-framed gables and dormers. The
entrance is through the N. range by an archway with three-centred head. The E. range has in the W. wall an arcade of
seven three-centred archways to coach-houses. The stable has
now been converted into a gallery for the display of the Ince
Blundell Hall collection of paintings and drawings.
Lulworth Castle: North Lodges
aNorth Lodges (848833), in Coombe Keynes parish but
described here with the castle, comprises two lodges of two
storeys flanking a main gateway with piers and two narrow side
gateways in arched openings, all ashlar faced (Plate 101). The
gate-piers contain round-headed niches and oval panels framing, on the S., the date (of building) 1785, and on the N. two
shields-of-arms, of Weld quartering Sherborne, Heveningham,
Simeon, and of Weld impaling Stanley; couched lions
crown the piers. The short connecting walls between the piers
and the lodges contain segmental-headed archways with
plain imposts and keystones. The lodges are triangular on plan
with rounded turrets at the corners; the fronts have a moulded
string carried round at first-floor level and embattled parapets.
The entrance-doorways are on the N. and have moulded four-centred heads; the windows in the flat wall-faces are of two
lights with elliptical openings in square moulded heads, and
the turrets contain loop lights, trefoiled at head and foot.
The two lead rain-water pipes are original.
The park walls are of carstone rubble patched with brick,
from 5 ft. to 10 ft. high and with embattled parapets. They
continue straight E. and W. from the lodges a distance of
13 yds. to round towers of similar build, 6 ft. in diameter and
some 15 ft. high, then curve in a quarter circle to two more
similar towers; a third tower on each side stands 60 yds. away.
aClare Towers (842830), in Coombe Keynes parish but
described here with the castle, is a gateway built of carstone
rubble and brick, and is probably contemporary with the park
wall, of the late 18th century. It consists of an entrance archway, two-centred and of three brick orders with a leopard's
mask carved in stone above, flanked by round towers, 6½ ft.
in diameter internally, entered through doorways with two-centred brick openings and lit by plain loops. The towers are
roofless and the brick parapets and upper parts of the walls are
bWareham Gate Lodge (857828), of rubble partly stuccoed
and with brick string-courses (Plate 58), is of the 17th century
but was moved to its present position in 1808, this date appearing on a date-stone on the building. On a drawing of it dated
1806 in Thomas Weld's notebooks is written 'Design for
introducing the Old Lodge which stood in front of the Castle
till the year 1753', and it is shown giving access to a formal
garden E. of the castle in Margaret Weld's drawing of 1721
referred to above.
It is a rectangular two-storey building with an embattled
parapet and with a round-arched carriageway through the
middle of the lower storey; the windows are divided into
three and four elliptical-headed lights by timber mullions.
b(4) Park Lodge (852830), of two storeys, attics and
cellars, with brick walls and tiled roof, was built in the
17th century on a two-room plan with a central chimney; early in the 18th century a central S. wing was
added containing an entrance hall and staircase and the
elevations of the original building were remodelled.
East Lulworth: Park Lodge
The principal elevations have a string-course at first-floor
level; the entrance has a rebuilt round arch and the windows
have stone mullions and dressings under semicircular brick
labels. The early 18th-century staircase remains in the S. wing,
and on the first floor are moulded 17th-century door frames.
b(5) Manor Cottage (Plate 47) is of two storeys
with walls of alternate courses of Purbeck and carstone
and a thatched roof. It was built in the late 16th century
and enlarged in the 19th century. Some of the original
stone-mullioned windows remain.
The house originally had a central hall with intersecting
chamfered ceiling beams, a parlour to the N., a through
passage behind the hall chimney and a third room to the S.
The original hall chimney has been replaced by a smaller
b(6–25) Cottages and small Houses (see village plan)
are generally of one storey and attics or two storeys,
with rubble walls and thatched roofs, and mostly
built on a two-room plan with a central entrance and
They are of the late 18th century except for the following:
(6) is of the 17th century and has been enlarged; (9) and (10)
are of the 17th century and have walls built of alternate courses
of Purbeck and carstone; (23) is of the late 17th century and has
cob walls and one end chimney only; (25), an outlier (863826),
has cob walls and is of the mid 18th century; (18) and (22)
are of c. 1800; (15), (19), (21) and (24) are of the early 19th
b(26) Monastery Farm (861810) incorporates some of the
buildings erected in 1795 by Thomas Weld for refugee
Trappist monks. The monastery was remodelled as a house and
farm buildings after the departure of the monks in 1817.
(Hutchins I, 385–91.) The house is of two storeys with rubble
and brick walls, partly rendered, and has a slated roof.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
b(27) Settlement Remains, remnants of a part of the
old village, occur in two places in Lulworth Park.
(i) S.E. of the parish church, banks, platforms and hollows
cover about 10 acres. Houses stood here in 1770 (J. Sparrow,
Estate Map of E. Lulworth (1770), in D.C.R.O.) but were
destroyed c. 1790 to clear the area of the park (see Monument
3). In 1959 foundations of buildings were exposed in a pipe
trench some 80 yds. S.E. of Lulworth castle (85588206);
small finds, mostly of the 18th century, are now in D.C.M.
(Dorset Procs. LXXXIV (1962), 131.)
(ii) 600 yds. E.N.E. of the castle, banks define irregular closes
cut by tracks and covering some 3 acres (85828222). Mediaeval
and later pottery was found here after ploughing. The area
was meadow in 1770.
Blocks of narrow rig divided by banks or narrow tracks
cover more than 15 acres immediately N.E. of the castle.
(R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821: 2426.)
b(28) Strip Lynchets of contour type, very disturbed, cover
5 acres immediately W. of Maiden Plantation (853809).
A prominent riser marks the boundary between the West
Field and the Little Field of 1770 shown on J. Sparrow's
Estate Map (in D.C.R.O.). (R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1821: 5429.)
Other Earthworks and Allied Monuments
(29–39) Round Barrows, p. 445.
(40–41) Flower's Barrow, hill-fort, and Crossridge Dyke, p. 489.
Ancient Field Group (17), p. 629.