21 LYTCHETT MINSTER (9693)
(O.S. 6 ins. aSY 99 SW, bSY 99 SE, cSY 99 NE)
The parish of Lytchett Minster covering about 3,500
acres lies immediately W. of Poole. It is made up of
two distinct areas linked together by a narrow connecting strip of land. The E. block is irregularly shaped
and lies N. of Lytchett Bay, an inlet of Poole Harbour;
the E. two-thirds of this area is low-lying heathland
sloping gently S. to the sea, while the W. third, within
which the village is situated, is a generally flat wooded
landscape on London Clay. The W. block is rectangular
and lies N. of the Sherford river, from which the land
rises gently N. across heathland to an area of London
Everything points to a history of late development in
an area of marginal land. The parish was only a Chapelry
of Sturminster Marshall in the mediaeval period and the
village itself is not recorded until 1244 (Fägersten, 112).
In the W. block the small settlements of Slepe and the
significantly named Newton are both first recorded in
1333. Settlement is now widely scattered over the
parish with only a small nucleus S. of the church. The
houses, few of which are earlier than the late 18th
century, are of cob or brick, mostly with thatched roofs.
The principal monument is Bulbury hill-fort, set in an
unusually inconspicuous position and the site of a
remarkable find of Iron Age metalwork.
b(1) The Parish Church (dedication unknown)
stands in the village. The walls are of buff-coloured
brick with some stone dressings above a rubble plinth,
except in the tower which has walls of roughly squared
carstone rubble; the roofs are covered with slate. The
West Tower of the 15th century is all that remains of the
mediaeval church; the Chancel, Nave, Vestry and Porch
were all built in 1833, by John Tulloch of Wimborne,
contractor (British Magazine, Sept. 1833).
Architectural Description—The Chancel (9 ft. by 20 ft.)
has the E. wall only carried up to a parapet, with two-stage
diagonal buttresses finishing above the parapet in pyramidal
cappings. The E. window has three lights with thin vertical
tracery in a two-centred head. The chancel arch is two-centred
with continuous moulding to the W. and cusped panels to the
reveals and soffit. The Nave (59½ ft. by 29 ft.) has diagonal
buttresses at the corners similar to those on the chancel and
intermediate buttresses of two stages finishing under the eaves.
The windows, three in the N. wall and four in the S., all had
two uncusped lancet lights and a pierced spandrel in a two
centred head; the easternmost in each wall has been altered to a
single light and the second window on the S. side now has
modern moulded jambs and tracery. Doorways with simple
moulded architraves and panelled doors lead to the vestry and
the tower, and a similar doorway with modern doors leads to
the porch. The West Tower (8½ ft. by 11½ ft.) is of two stages
with chamfered plinth, weathered string-course, parapet
string-course, embattled parapet and angle and diagonal
buttresses of two weathered stages; on the N. side a polygonal
vice reaches to the top of the lower stage. The tower arch is of
one boldly chamfered order with continuous jambs and is now
partly blocked. In the N. wall is a small doorway to the vice
with four-centred head. The W. window, originally with
vertical tracery, which has been destroyed, has had the sill
raised and a 19th-century doorway inserted below. In the
upper stage are windows of two lights with sunk spandrels.
The Vestry (12 ft. square) has diagonal buttresses with pyramidal
cappings. In the E. wall is a window of two ogee lights in a
square head; in the W. wall is a blind recess. The Porch (9½ ft.
square) has diagonal buttresses with pyramidal cappings. The
E. window is of two ogee lights in a square head. The S.
archway is two-centred with continuous mouldings in Roman
cement. The Roofs of chancel and nave are ceiled on the line of
raking braces under collar beams. In the nave the collar beams
support king posts with raking struts to the principals. The
porch is ceiled with a four-part plaster vault.
The Parish Church, Lytchett Minster
Fittings—Bells: six, 1st and 2nd modern; 3rd by R. Lott,
1699 but recast in 1903; 4th by John Wallis, 1593; 5th inscribed 'Ave Maria gracia plena Deus (sic.) tecum', 15th-century; 6th by John Wallis, 1601. Chests: in porch, (1) with
panelled front, early 17th-century; (2) plain, probably 18th-century. Churchyard Cross: N.W. of tower, base only, square
sloped back to an octagon, with square socket, 15th-century.
Coffin Stools: a pair, with turned legs, tops inscribed '1699
R.L., M.L., E.L.' Fonts: in nave, (1) octagonal bowl and stem
with necking and moulded base, 15th-century; loose in churchyard, (2) small octagonal bowl with moulded under edge,
broken, c. 1833. Gallery: in nave, at W. end, with panelled
front, carried on timber columns set on modern stone bases,
and approached by staircase with close string and turned
newels and balusters, c. 1833. Monuments: In tower, (1) to
Jane Slade, 1850, white marble tablet in the form of a scroll.
In churchyard, headstones—E. of church, (2) to Ann, wife of
Luke Brewer, 1680; (3) to Zachariah Barnes, 1701; S. of church,
(4) to Mary, daughter of Richard . . .; (5) to John Speare,
1683/4; (6) to William Saveg, 1710; (7) to Mary, wife of Nicholas Green, 1709. Organ: in two stages, the upper stage with
arcaded panels of pipes under a cornice, early 19th-century.
Royal Arms: on gallery front, small, of wood crudely repainted,
early 19th-century. Seating: in gallery, plain benches, c. 1833.
Sundials: on nave, on S.E. buttress, reused stone with scratch
dial; on S. porch, at apex of gable, with four slate faces on a
stone base and with a moulded and embattled stone top with
finials much decayed, inscribed 'Restant Aeterna Caduci
AD MDCCCXXXIII' and, on back, 'Hiscock, Christchurch'.
Tables of the Creed and the Lord's Prayer: loose in tower, two
painted boards, early 19th-century.
b(2) Independent and Baptist Chapel (957927), dated 1824,
has brick walls and a slated roof; the S. front is in polychrome
brickwork. The chapel was altered in the mid 19th century.
b(3) Post Green, house (958935), of two and three
storeys with cellars, has brick walls and slate-covered
roofs; it was built in the third quarter of the 18th
century and enlarged towards the S. at the end of the
The N. front is symmetrical; the central doorway has a
modern architrave and fanlight flanked by original fluted
columns with reeded and fluted capitals carrying an entablature,
which has been altered and heightened, and an original pedi
ment reset; the windows are plain with double-hung sashes.
The S. elevation is symmetrical and built in header bond with
two large two-storey bay windows flanking a modern opening with french casements and fixed side lights; the lower
windows to the bays have french casements, and across the
whole front is an early 19th-century verandah with curved
roof carried on cast-iron trellised standards and transoms. At
the W. end is a lower wing which has been heightened and
Internally a central spine wall is the original S. outside wall.
The older part of the house, to the N., has been modernised;
to the S. is a central stairhall between drawing room and dining
room. The drawing-room is octagonal and has a coved ceiling
with a border enriched with garlands; the fireplace is flanked
by Ionic pilasters, panelled and decorated, supporting a frieze
under the mantleshelf decorated with lutes, garlands and
allegorical figures. The dining room has an enriched ceiling
cornice and a fireplace with moulded surround with roundels
at the corners. The foregoing are of c. 1800. Parts only of the
staircase of c. 1800 survive, with open string, turned newels
and plain square balusters.
The following monuments unless otherwise described
are small houses and cottages of one storey with attics
or two storeys, with walls of cob sometimes refaced in
brick and with thatched roofs; they are of the late 18th
or early 19th century.
b(4) The Old Vicarage (75 yds. S.E.) has the roof covered
with modern shingles.
b(5) House and Cottage (250 yds. S.) have walls rendered
b(6) Cottages, range of three, immediately W. of (5).
b(7) Cottages, two, (958927).
b(8) North Holton Farm, house (956927), of two storeys
and attic with brick walls partly tile-hung and with tiled roof,
is of the second half of the 18th century (Plate 43). The front
elevation is symmetrical and finished with a cornice and
parapet; the central doorway has flanking pilasters, fanlight
and open pediment. The plan is nearly square, with an axial
stairhall between two front rooms and service rooms behind.
North Holton Farm
b(9) House (96079294) has an entrance porch with panelled
pilasters; it is L-shaped on plan.
b(10) Cottage (960936) is L-shaped on plan and may incorporate earlier work.
b(11) Kicherman's, house (963940), of two storeys with
rendered walls above a stone plinth and with a thatched roof,
is of the late 17th century. It is built on a long rectangular plan
with central and end chimneys, giving, on the ground floor,
three heated rooms, and a small room behind the entrance
lobby. The windows and most of the internal fittings have
b(12) Three Oaks Cottage (964937) has brick walls and is
symmetrically designed, with central porch, casement windows
under segmental heads and end chimneys. It has an original
outshot at the rear and has been extended to the N.E.
b(13) Cottage Farm, house (964936), with brick walls and
slated roof, is L-shaped on plan, with a verandah round the N.
wing, and has windows of one, two and three round-headed
b(14) Randall's Cottage (967941).
b(15) Randall's Farm, house (968941), has later additions at
b(16) Forest Hill Cottage, (968941) has the roof covered
with slates; it is symmetrically planned with a central stairhall.
c(17) St. Leonard's Farm, house (971950), has a central
entrance to the larger of two front rooms (Plate 46); a lean-to
roof covers service rooms at the back.
c(18) Cottage (972950), with tiled roof, was originally symmetrical with central entrance and end chimneys, but has been
c(19) Cottage (972951) has a tiled roof.
b(20) Beacon Hill Farm, house and barn (976949), has tiled
roofs; the barn is of three bays with a central porch.
b(21) Cottage (975938), has a tiled roof.
b(22) Cottage (978933), with rendered brick walls, was
symmetrically designed with a central porch; it has been
divided into two tenements.
b(23) Cottage (97549332), on S. side of Dorchester Road.
b(24) Cottage (97439335) was built as two dwellings, with a
b(25) Cottage (97079345) was symmetrically built with
central entrance, but has been extended.
b(26) Cottage (97039336), in Marsh Lane, was extended to
the E. in the first half of the 19th century.
a(27) Cottage (940922), at Organ Ford, of brick with a
tiled roof, is symmetrically designed, with central entrance and
a(28) Mill (938922), at Organ Ford, of three storeys with
brick walls and slated roof, has segmental-headed door and
window openings alternating with blind recesses. It is said to
have had four pairs of barley stones and one pair of wheat
stones driven by an external water wheel; the machinery is
a(29) Cottage (929932), at Slepe, of one storey and attic,
was built in the 17th century on a two-room plan with one
end chimney; a second chimney and a third room were added
later. A dormer window of three lights has original chamfered
wood frame and mullions.
Railway Gatekeeper's Cottage, at Upton, see p. 416.
(30) Bulbury, hill-fort, p. 492.