33 STUDLAND (0382)
(O.S. 6 ins. aSY 98 SE, bSZ 08 SW, cSZ 08 NW)
The parish of Studland, covering some 5,100 acres,
lies between Poole Harbour and Studland Bay, 7 miles
S.E. of Wareham. Its S. boundary is the hog-back Chalk
ridge of the Purbeck Hills, rising to over 500 ft. above
O.D. To N. of this the land slopes gently across a narrow
outcrop of Reading Beds and London Clay at about
200 ft. above O.D. to heathland, on Bagshot Beds,
which reaches to the indented shores of Poole Harbour.
The parish also includes Brownsea, an oval island of
some 500 acres at the E. end of Poole Harbour, and a
number of other small islands, all of Bagshot Sands and
The modern parish is the result of late 19th-century
boundary revision. Before then a long narrow strip of
land running N. from the Purbeck Hills to Poole Harbour, its boundaries still marked by lines of stones, was
part of Swanage parish, thus leaving the W. side of the
present parish completely detached from the main E.
Studland village, the original and still the only major
settlement, lies in a sheltered position below the Purbeck
Hills and at the S. end of the broad arc of Studland Bay.
Claywell in the formerly detached W. part of the parish
was in existence by the early 14th century, but retains
no old buildings; apart from this the heathland has
remained empty of settlement except for a few small
farms along the shores of Poole Harbour, the direct
descendants of fishermen's cottages known to have
existed there at least from the 17th century. Within the
parish is the site of the abortive 'new town' of Edward I,
probably at the S. end of Newton Bay, but nothing
remains to indicate that it ever developed.
The Parish Church and Brownsea Castle are the
The Parish Church of Saint Nicholas, Studland, Dorset
b(1) The Parish Church of St. Nicholas (Plates
161–2) stands in the E. part of the village; the walls are
of local rubble partly refaced in ashlar and the roofs are
covered with stone slates. The church was built probably
shortly before the Conquest, with chancel, central tower
and nave. The Nave was rebuilt in the late 11th century,
partly on the foundations of the earlier nave; these
were uncovered during the restoration of 1880–81
(Dorset Procs. XII (1891), 164). In the mid 12th century
the standing Chancel and Tower were partly refaced
and remodelled, new arches, windows and vaulting
being inserted, and the nave walls were given new
chamfered plinths and base courses and corbel-tables.
The South Porch was added probably in the 17th
century. Some rebuilding took place in the 18th century; a general restoration followed in 1880–81; the
nave roof was reconstructed in 1930–31, and the roof
of the tower was renewed two years later.
The church is an interesting example of mid 12th-century elaboration of a comparatively small and
simple pre-Conquest church. The building has a solid
robustness of character which is impressive.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (12¼ ft. square)
has pre-Conquest walls of rubble with irregular ashlar quoins
and 12th-century insertions in ashlar comprising a plinth
and base course above it, upper quoins and, on the N. and S.
walls, bands of facing stones. The E. window is of the 13th
century and has three graduated lancet lights grouped under
one chamfered segmental-pointed rear arch; the centre light
has angular cusping. High up in the E. gable is a small round-headed loop light, of the 12th century, reset. The N. wall
has a small round-headed window with deep internal splays;
outside, the opening is set in a round-headed panel of plain
12th-century ashlar defined by a moulding, the whole occurring in a broad horizontal ashlar band between the rubble
walling above and below. During restoration it was revealed
that this ashlar was a thin refacing to the pre-Conquest rubble
walling. High up towards the W. is a doorway giving access
to a room above the chancel vault; it is probably post-mediaeval. The S. wall has more extensive 12th-century ashlar
refacing; the S. window is similar to the N. window but
restored, having probably been reconverted from a doorway;
to the W. and at a lower level is a small late mediaeval rectangular window with dressings chamfered outside and rebated
inside. Internally both N. and S. walls are faced with 12th-century ashlar. In the W. wall is a round-headed archway of
two orders; the inner order and the outer order on the W.
are moulded and spring from attached shafts with scalloped
capitals and abaci enriched with chevron ornament. The
abacus is continued on each side to form the springing for the
plain E. outer order, with plain responds below. Over the
chancel is a ribbed quadripartite vault of stone, with some
modern repairs in cement. The diagonal ribs are moulded and
spring from angle shafts with carved capitals and moulded
bases; those in the W. corners have been partly cut away.
To E. and W. are stilted wall-arches springing from plain
responds with abaci continuous with those of the vaulting
shafts. The above are all part of the mid 12th-century remodelling of the earlier structure. Over the chancel is a room
with a plain square-headed doorway to the tower; the doorway has been partly blocked with modern brickwork.
The Central Tower (13 ft. by 14 ft.) is of two main stages
and the lower part of an incomplete third stage; the stages are
divided by chamfered strings. It is initially a pre-Conquest
structure, but the plinths, the buttresses, with one exception,
and the ashlar work are all of the mid 12th century; the third
stage may well have been an innovation at this later date.
The E. and W. walls, which are ashlar-faced, finish in low-pitched gables with plain parapets; the E. parapet rises from
kneelers cut to fit the existing roof slope but the kneelers to
the W. parapet are shaped for a much steeper roof. The lower
half of the N. wall is of rubble with an inserted chamfered
plinth and the upper half is faced with ashlar; at the ends are
broad pilaster buttresses of ashlar, rising to the eaves, and
between them is a narrower central buttress stopping below the
upper string-course. The S. wall contains some rubble facing
on the outside of the lower part but is mostly refaced with
ashlar and with an inserted chamfered plinth; the three
buttresses are similar to those to the N. wall, but here the E.
buttress only is carried up to the eaves and the W. buttress
has been rebuilt, probably in the 14th century. The N. wall
has on the ground stage a small 12th-century single-light
window; in the S. wall the corresponding window was
enlarged and lowered in the 18th century but the 12th-century rear arch remains above. The incomplete third stage
has in each wall the truncated lower part of a 12th-century
window with shafted jambs, that to the E. being divided into
two lights by a central shaft; these openings are partly blocked
and have small rectangular openings in the blockings. The
lower stage of the tower has a mid 12th-century quadripartite vault with moulded ribs springing from angle shafts
with cushion capitals with moulded abaci and moulded bases
with corner spurs on square plinths; the E. capitals are carved
with formal decoration. The E. and W. walls only have plain
rounded wall-arches, boldly stilted, springing from abaci
continuous with those just described.
The round-headed archway to the nave (Plate 161) is of two
orders, the inner moulded, the outer moulded on the W. side
only. The moulded orders spring from engaged shafts with
scalloped capitals and abaci enriched with chevron ornament
and with moulded bases with plain spurs above square plinths.
The outer order to the E. is plain and springs from responds
which have been cut away below the abaci for a former screen.
On the W. side the abaci are continued to the N. and S. walls
and over the arch is a label also with chevron ornament.
The Nave (39 ft. by 18 ft.) is of the late 11th century. The
N. wall has an added mid 12th-century corbel-table of twenty-three corbels (Plate 7) carved with beasts' heads, human heads,
grotesques and a saltire. Towards the E. end is a small modern
window set partly in the blocking of a doorway which was
some 7 ft. above ground and may have given access to a
gallery from an external stairway; this modern window
probably reproduces an original feature. The N. doorway is
of the 11th century and has a keyed lintel with a semicircular
relieving arch of which the springers are cut into the top of
the lintel; the jambs are much restored. To the W. is an
11th-century window of one small round-headed light. The
S. wall is extensively patched and refaced; it has a corbel-table
at the wall-head similar to that on the N. but some corbels
are defaced, some carved with formal decoration and some
only shaped. The eastern window of one large round-headed
light, with brick rear arch, is of the 18th century. The doorway
has a keyed lintel within an outer order of a plain round arch
springing from attached shafts with moulded bases with spurs,
scalloped capitals and abaci; the last are continued round the
plain door jambs. To the W. is a window with late mediaeval
jambs and an 18th-century round-arched head; above is the
head of an original 11th-century window similar to that
opposite. The W. wall has a 12th-century string-course at
eaves level above which the gable is an 18th-century rebuilding
in ashlar. There is a single round-headed W. window of the
18th century. The South Porch (8½ ft. by 7½ ft.) has an entrance
with a modern flat head.
Fittings—Bells: four; all recast in 1898, 1st perhaps 17th-century; 2nd and 3rd by William Knight, 1736; 4th by C P,
1065 (sic). Brackets: In tower, (1) pair of shaped stone corbels
to carry a rood beam. In nave, on S. wall, (2) long chamfered
corbel, mediaeval. Chairs: pair, modern but made up with
arcaded back panels of the mid 17th century. Coffin-lid: in
nave, at E. end, set in floor, plain, mediaeval. Doors: in N. and
S. doorways, of two leaves and of fielded panels, early 18th-century. Font: plain stone tub with circular base set on modern
plinth, 12th-century. Hatchments: in nave, (1) with shield-of-arms of Bankes impaling Bastard, for Edmund George
Bankes, died 1860; (2) with shield-of-arms of Bankes impaling
Nugent, for George Bankes, died 1856. Inscriptions and
Scratchings: on E. jamb of S. door, a cross.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: in chancel—against
N. wall, (1) table-tomb with moulded Purbeck marble top,
front and W. end carved with cusped panels, main panels being
sub-cusped quatrefoils enclosing shields on which were originally brasses, early 16th-century, with modern E. end; (2) to
the Rev. John Morton Colson, LL.B., Rector, 1837, white
marble tablet; in tower—on S. wall, (3) to Francis Fane, 1813,
white marble tablet with shield-of-arms above, signed Henry
Westmacott, London; (4) to Ann, widow of Francis Fane,
1832, white marble tablet; in nave—on S. wall, (5) to the
Rev. Benjamin Culme, Judith (Layphield) his wife and their
ten children, also John Layphield brother of Judith and his
three sisters, also James White who married Ann the granddaughter of Benjamin and Judith and who erected the monument in 1772, marble tablet with enriched apron and entablature, with later inscription to Ann White, 1807. Floor-slabs: in chancel, (1) to Ann (Beaumont), widow of George
Brown, 1713; (2) to Frances, daughter of Sir William Meaux,
1662, with shield-of-arms; inscription not now legible, see
Hutchins I, 654.
Painting: in nave—on E. wall over arch to tower, (1) within
a border, Psalm lxxxiv, 1 and 2, 17th-century; on N. wall,
(2) fragments of formal decorative border in red and black,
perhaps 12th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1630 (Plate 23)
and cover-paten by Lawrence Stratford of Dorchester, 1575,
and two stand patens of 1718 given by Edmd. Pleydell.
Miscellanea: (1) processional cross, head, on modern staff,
consisting of lozenge-shaped brass plate pierced and bordered
with crosses, decorated with small incised circles and with
inscription, beginning in Geez and ending in Amharic, saying
'This is the cross of the chief merchant Baroch Zaro', 19th-century, said to have been brought from the chapel of King
Theodore of Abyssinia at Magdala in 1868; (2) outside, on
N.E. corner of chancel, eight-petalled flower carved in stone,
mediaeval; (3) in S. porch, built into E. wall, moulded stone,
c(2) The Church of St. Mary, Brownsea Island
(028877), was built in 1853–4 at the charge of Col.
William Petrie Waugh. The lower storey of the tower,
forming a private pew (Plate 29), has a Ceiling of timber,
probably made up from parts of the ceilings of the
Parlour and Great Chamber removed in the early 19th
century from the house built by Sir John Crosby in the
City of London in 1466 and demolished in c. 1906
(Survey of Greater London: Philip Norman, Crosby
Place (1908), 52).
The flat ceiling is divided into two bays by a moulded cross
beam supported on cusped arched braces springing from short
wall-posts; wall-beams enclosing the ceiling are similarly
moulded and braced. Each bay is divided into six panels by
moulded ribs, each panel being enriched with cusping and
subcusping round a foliated patera in the middle. (See also
Fittings—of Italian or S. German origin unless otherwise
described, mostly collected by the Hon. G. Augustus Cavendish Bentinck, owner of the island from 1870 to 1890. Bracket:
S. of chancel arch, with cartouche containing shield-of-arms
and with panelled sides, 17th-century. Candelabrum: in tower,
with two tiers each of eight branches, English, 18th-century.
Candlesticks: on screens, four, of painted and gilded wood
carved with cartouches, cherubs' heads and acanthus foliage, a
fifth carved as an angel on a scrolled pedestal, 17th-century.
Painting: in tower, of the Crucifixion, Italian, 17th-century.
Panelling: in chancel, in screen to N. vestry, in S.W. chapel and
in tower, panels carved with formal patterns enriched with
foliage and vine-trails, English, 16th-century (some reported
to be from Crosby Place), made up with modern framing.
Plate: includes two brass candlesticks dated 1716, altar cross,
two smaller brass candlesticks and two small jars all of the
same date; two candlesticks of silver-gilt with elaborate
foliage ornament, 17th-century; alms-dish of brass, with the
Annunciation within bands of lettering, German, 16th-century;
one lamp, of silver-gilt (?), enriched with foliage, flowers and
cartouches and suspended by chains attached to projecting
human heads, 17th-century (?). Miscellanea: In vestry, tapestry
with landscape with birds, perhaps French, 18th-century. In
nave, carved panels of the Annunciation and the Adoration of
the Shepherds, probably Flemish, 17th-century; carved roundel
with kneeling figure of angel, 16th-century; on tower screen,
panel of painted wood and plaster portraying the Annunciation. In tower, figure of Faith (Plate 30) and companion figure
of man holding a shoe and a knife (February?), Flemish,
c. 1500; two carved wood figure groups, from an Entombment
and the Presentation in the Temple, Flemish, early 16th-century (Plate 30), perhaps from an altarpiece.
c(3) Brownsea Castle (Plates 158–60), also known
by the old name of Branksea Castle, stands at the E.
end of Brownsea Island (030876). The original castle
formed part of Henry VIII's system of coastal defences,
its role being to cover the entrance to Poole Harbour.
It was built and maintained by the town of Poole and
the payment in April 1547 of 33s. 4d. for lead for the
castle (Poole Town Accounts 1546/7, 49 (4)) supports
the statement in a document of 1573 (Great Book of
Poole, f. 54) that the castle was finished in 1547; but
work evidently continued into 1548 when £56 7s. was
paid for finishing the platform etc. (ibid., f. 54). In 1551
a hundred and one piles were set (Town Accounts 1551,
51 (6)) which suggests some sea encroachment. Following a complaint in 1571 (Old Record Book (E) 1564–72,
f. 10) that the castle was ruinous, further works were
put in hand, £520 being paid out in 1573 in addition
to the provision of 4,000 tons of rough stone and chalk
(Town Accounts, 1573). In 1585 repairs included work
on the stone fabric, loop-holes and windows and leadwork, strengthening the gun platforms and the completion of a four-foot wall round the castle (P.R.O.
Exchequer Q.R. Accounts, E101/462/7). From this
account and from the detailed view and plan (Plate 158)
inset on a map of Poole Harbour of 1597 in the Hatfield
Collection (also B.M. maps 186 h 2(32)) it is evident that
the castle originally consisted of a square single-storey
stone building surrounded on three sides by a moat and
with a hexagonal gun platform on the fourth, seaward,
side enclosed by a low wall. The entrance was in the
S.W. side approached across the moat over a drawbridge 24 ft. long. In the view three guns are shown on
the roof of the main structure, but the stone-paved
platform is empty of guns and the wall to it partly
broken down. On plan the main structure is shown
divided into three rooms.
In 1576 the castle was granted to Sir Christopher
Hatton (Great Book of Poole, f. 128). It was garrisoned
during the 17th century and additional guns were
ordered by the House of Commons in 1645/6. In the
early 18th century the island was bought by William
Benson, who was M.P. for Shaftesbury and in 1718
succeeded Sir Christopher Wren as Surveyor of Works,
subsequently becoming Auditor of the Imprests. He
began the conversion of the castle into a residence,
adding a Great Hall.
In 1765 Humphrey Sturt acquired Brownsea from
his cousin, Sir Gerard Napier of More Crichel, and
built up the castle to a four-storey tower with lower
wings on three sides; thus it is shown in engravings in
Hutchins (I, 646–7) as a simple building with embattled
parapets and windows mostly of either Palladian or
arched form (Plate 160). The engravings also show a
courtyard enclosed by a wall with corner pavilions on
the site of the present walled garden N.E. of the castle.
Studland: Brownsea Castle
In the first quarter of the 19th century the building
was enlarged to the N.W.; it was further extended to
the N.E. in the second quarter of the century. Colonel
William Waugh, who bought the island in 1852, added
a new S.E. front range in the Tudor style and refitted
the interior. He also built the Family Pier and Watch
Towers, the Gatehouse, Stables and other buildings on
the island. His hope of finding china-clay and working
it came to nothing and Brownsea was offered for sale by
auction in 1857; copies of a map and inventories of the
buildings prepared for the sale are preserved in Poole
Public Library. After some delay it was sold in 1870 to
the Hon. Augustus Cavendish Bentinck who brought to
the castle a collection of Italian stone carvings. It changed
hands again in 1892 and shortly after was severely
damaged by fire. Rebuilding in 1897 included most of
the S.W. and N.E. side elevations and much of the
interior. The castle now belongs to the National
Brownsea Castle is now in general aspect a building
of the later 19th century, but it contains more or less
concealed the greater part of the Henry VIII coastal fort
In the basement of the castle, rising the full height of the
storey and forming the base of the lofty central block, the
walls of the original mid 16th-century Fort remain. They are
stone-built and though now mostly faced with modern
plaster are identifiable by a pronounced batter. Measured at
the highest level possible they form a rectangle 43 ft. by 44 ft.
externally; the interior is not fully accessible. In the S.W.
wall are clear indications of the original entrance, though now
completely blocked. The S.E. retaining wall of the terrace
consists largely of the original wall which enclosed the
projecting gun platform.
The N.W. front shows a symmetrical composition in three
storeys with windows of Palladian type but with pointed
arches and with plain stone architraves, arranged between
round turrets pierced by windows of single pointed lights.
The composition is cut short at the N.E. end by the slightly
later addition which has itself been drastically altered but
finishes with a larger round turret at the N. corner.
The brick Gatehouse, 30 yds. N.E. of the castle, built c. 1852,
has rusticated quoins and an embattled parapet and is surmounted by a clock turret; it is joined to the N. turret of the
castle by a range of low buildings also of c. 1852 but incorporating some earlier walling. The Family Pier (Plate 160),
E. of the castle, is a picturesque brick construction of c. 1852
consisting of a covered gallery and an open terrace carried
on brick arches leading to a landing stage flanked by two
octagonal stucco-faced watch towers in the Tudor style. In
the gallery are numerous stone carvings, probably all Venetian,
including fifteen with shields-of-arms, two dated 1601 and
1619 respectively, three with the Lion of St. Mark, three
basins and a door-head, 16th and 17th-century.
The Houses, Shop and Workshop, N.E. of the castle, are of
the 18th and mid 19th centuries. All are of brick with the
principal elevations stuccoed; the largest house has embattled
corner turrets. Reset in the walls are Italian stone carvings of
shields-of-arms, and in a boundary wall by the quay is a
carving of St. Christopher in high relief.
The Enclosure, 165 yds. W. of the castle, is of the 18th century. Two brick walls remain, one now forming the W. side
of the dairy yard and the other incorporated into a later
building. They have a moulded brick plinth and serrated
cornice and heavy rustication of the quoins and the piers
flanking a gateway. South Shore Lodge (019875) is a small
L-shaped house of late 18th-century origin, much altered.
Maryland (011882) comprises four blocks, each of four dwellings, erected for clay-workers by Col. Waugh in c. 1852.
The Villa (025881) was incomplete in 1857.
In castle grounds, Miscellanea—Cannon: on terrace, 2 ft.
10 ins. long and 2¼ ins. bore; in garden, three, 5 ft. long and
3¼ ins. bore; the latter with foundry mark of a rose and crown
and, on the trunnions, the founder's initials RF; 17th or early
18th-century. Statue (Plate 62), in grounds, of stone, of man in
cuirassier armour and cloak, with laurel wreath on head,
baton (broken) in left hand, helmet at feet, late 17th or early
18th-century (removed since Commission survey).
Monuments (4–25) unless otherwise described are
small houses and cottages of the 18th century, of one
storey and attics or two storeys, and with rubble walls
and thatched roofs. The single cottages (8, 11, 12, 19, 23)
each comprise, on plan, one main room with a fireplace
against the gable end wall and one or two small unheated rooms at the opposite end. The cottages built in
ranges of two or three together (6, 9, 10, 14) are similar
to the foregoing on plan.
b(4) Studland Manor Farm, house, of two storeys and
attics, and with roofs covered with stone slates, comprises a
N.-S. range with a low W. wing and a cross wing at the S.
end. The main range has an upper storey of brick of the first
half of the 18th century; the lower storey with rubble walls
may be earlier. The range was at one time two dwellings and
the brickwork of the N. part is slightly earlier than that of the
S., but the whole has been much altered. The S. wing is of
the late 19th century. Barn, on E. side of farmyard, with walls
of rubble and brick and roof covered with stone slates, is of
the 18th century.
b(5) Cottages, two, were built probably as one house which
was divided when a third cottage was added.
b(6) Cottages, two.
b(7) Cottages, two, were built in the 17th century when
they probably comprised two rooms to the E. of the chimney-stack and an entrance passage and third room to the W. The
W. part was later heightened and enlarged to form a separate
cottage, with a new chimney and stone-slated roof. The E.
part was rearranged to form a cottage with one heated room
separated by a through passage from two small unheated
rooms. Original stop-chamfered ceiling beams remain. Barn,
to E., is continuous with the E. cottage and has a porch
projecting N. under a hipped roof.
b(8–12) Cottages, see introductory note.
b(13) Cottage, roofed with stone slates, is of the early
19th century and has a chimney at each end.
b(14) Cottages, three.
b(15) Beech Cottage, now a single dwelling, was built as
b(16) Studland Manor, hotel (160 yds. N.), of two storeys
with attics, has walls largely of brick in the upper parts and all
rendered in stucco; roofs are covered with stone slates. It is
probably the 'marine villa' described by Hutchins (I, 644) as
built by the Rt. Hon. George Bankes, who died 1856, but it
may incorporate some earlier walling; it has been enlarged
The elevations exhibit a contrived romantic irregularity,
having gabled dormers, a glazed turret above the entrance
and, joined to the N.W. part of the house, two small round
towers, their inspiration perhaps being the notion that this is
the site of the mediaeval Studland Castle.
Inside, the main staircase is a reconstruction in 18th-century
material. The first-floor landing has Gothic shafts with
moulded caps and bases flanking the doorways and similar
shafts supporting segmental and trefoiled plaster ceiling vaults.
One of the first-floor rooms has a mid 18th-century fireplace
surround with carved frieze and a door-case with a carved
panel of Orpheus with beasts and trees. Barn, to N., of the
18th century, is now converted to a garage.
b(17) Church Cottage consists of two cottages converted
b(18) Wadmore Farm, house (029829), is roofed with stone
slates and has been extended.
b(19) Cottage (030826), built partly of brick, is of the late
b(20) Harmony Lodge (02928231) is of the late 18th century.
b(21) Cottages, Nos. 42, 43 Woodhouse (029820), were
built probably in the late 17th century as a single dwelling
with central entrance and one end chimney, with an outhouse
beyond; it was divided into three tenements and subsequently
remodelled as two. Variations in the masonry suggest that it
has been partly rebuilt.
b(22) House, Nos. 44, 45 Woodhouse (028820), is of the
late 17th or early 18th century; originally comprising on
plan three rooms and a through passage, it was later extended
by the addition of an outbuilding to the N. and divided into
two tenements. The interior retains an original plank partition.
b(23) Cottage, Searley's Knap (021818).
b(24) Kingswood Farm, house (001819), roofed with stone
slates, is L-shaped on plan. It was built in the early 18th
century with a main range containing a living room with a
chimney at one end and a small room partitioned off at the
other end; the kitchen with a gable-end fireplace is set at
right angles to the main range. Extensions were made in the
late 18th century.
c(25) Newton Cottage (004851) takes its name from the
borough of Newton proposed by Edward I for this area; it
has walls of carstone rubble rendered with modern stucco
and a slate-covered roof. It is of the late 17th or early 18th
century, but extensively modernised, and has on plan a straight
range of three rooms, all with fireplaces.
b(26) Boundary Stones, on Ballard Down, mark the
boundary between Studland and Swanage parishes. One
(Plate 64), at 03758132, is 1¼ ft. by 6½ ins. and 2½ ft. high with
a rounded top; coarse diagonal tooling covers top and sides.
The N. face is inscribed 'Studland Manor 1776'.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
b(27) Strip Lynchets (044815), two, contour type, 200 yds.
long, lie at the foot of Ballard Down, adjacent to 'Long Lands'
(Tithe Map 1840). (R.A.F. V.A.P. CPE/UK 1893: 4300–2.)
c(28) Settlement Remains, house footings and other
structures, lie at the base of the Goathorn peninsula on Studland Heath near the S. shore of Poole Harbour and were
formerly in Swanage parish. The remains are in a broad
shallow valley with many oaks. The house (01138521),
probably 17th-century, had two rooms: that to the W. was
10 ft. by 14 ft.; that to the E. was 29 ft. by 12 ft. narrowing
to 10 ft. at the E. end and had a doorway at the W. end of the
S. wall with a window just to the E. A rubble pile suggests a
chimney breast against the partition wall. Two structures
near by are marked by clayey banks only. The first, 30 yds. S.
of the house, is 22 ft. by 10 ft.; a bank running W. from its
S.W. angle supports an oak tree probably 350 years old. The
second, about 40 yds. W. of the house, is 15 ft. by 9 ft. These
remains are close to, but cannot be identified with, the site
of Edward I's proposed new town, Newton. (Med. Arch, VII
Other Earthworks and Allied Monuments
(29–42) Round Barrows, p. 452.
(43) Studland Circles, p. 504.
(44–47) Roman Buildings and other Remains, p. 609.
Ancient Field Group (29), p. 632.