8 BUCKLAND NEWTON (6805)
(O.S. 6 ins. ST 60 NE, ST 60 SE, ST 70 NW, ST 70 sw)
The parish, covering about 6,000 acres, straddles the
Chalk escarpment which at this point is relatively low,
and extensively cut into by N.-flowing streams. The
S. half of the parish rises from 500 ft. to 800 ft. above
sea-level and is almost entirely Chalk; in the N. half
the land undulates gently between 300 ft. and 500 ft.
and is composed of Gault, Kimmeridge Clay and
Corallian Beds, except for the 600 ft. Chalk outlier of
The hill-fort on Dungeon Hill, now incorporated
in Buckland Newton, has already been described in
Dorset I (Minterne Magna (6)); conversely the monuments of Minterne Parva are described in this volume
although they now lie within the boundaries of Minterne Magna. Plush, a detached part of Buckland
Newton until 1933, is now in Piddletrenthide (see p. 212).
The mediaeval and later history of the parish is complex and in some respects obscure. There appear to
have been five original settlements: Minterne Parva,
Buckland Newton, Henley (probably identical with
the Knoll of some early documents), Duntish and
Brockhampton. Each settlement probably had its own
open field system. Beyond the open fields, secondary
settlements associated with small enclosures were
established by the 13th century; for instance Chaston
Farm, Revels Farm, and perhaps Bookham. (fn. 1) There
are extensive areas of 'Celtic' fields in the S., and a
Deer Park of about 190 acres, which was made at the
latest in the 13th century, has been identified N.W. of
Duntish. (fn. 2) Large parts of the parish were still uncultivated at a late date and extensive areas of Common
were not enclosed until the middle of the 19th century. (fn. 3)
The principal monument is the Parish Church. Castle
Hill (4), another important monument, was demolished in 1965.
(1) The Parish Church of the Holy Rood, which
stands near the centre of the parish, was extensively
restored in the second half of the 19th century, and
external rendering makes analysis of the architectural
development difficult. The walls are probably of rubble
with ashlar dressings; the roofs are lead-covered. The
Chancel is largely of the 13th century and the Nave
and the North and South Aisles are of the 15th century;
the uniformity of the aisle windows might suggest
Victorian restoration but Hutchins's early 19th-century
account of the church (2nd ed., vol. iii (1813), p. 262f.,
and illustration on p. 254) leaves no doubt that they
are original. The West Tower and the South Porch date
from the 15th century; above the porch is an upper
chamber. Although the chancel is the oldest standing
part of the church, fragments of 12th-century sculpture
bear witness to an earlier building; they include a
representation of Christ in Majesty, formerly in the
tower but recently reset in the porch.
The 13th-century windows in the side walls of the
chancel (Plate 120) are unusually fine work for a country
church of that date, and the 15th-century nave and
aisles (Plate 120) are notable for their symmetry and
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33½ ft. by 18½ ft.)
was restored in 1869 but it appears to retain the original N.
wall; the S. wall is 7 ins. thinner than the N. and it may have
been rebuilt, the original windows being reset. In 1841 the
original E. window, of three lancets, was replaced by an opening
in the Perpendicular style but this was removed in 1869 and
the present three-light window, of 13th-century style, was
substituted. Externally, the walls have moulded ashlar plinths,
hollow-chamfered plaster string-courses and embattled parapets. The N. wall has three uniform lancet windows with
chamfered external reveals and plaster hood-moulds; internally,
the splays are flanked by Purbeck marble shafts, with moulded
bases and capitals, supporting chamfered trefoil rear-arches of
Ham Hill stone; the rear-arches are restored but the shafts are
original. The moulded internal sills are continuous with that
of the 19th-century E. window. The S. wall has three lancet
windows uniform with those to the N., and a later doorway
with a chamfered two-centred head and a segmental rear-arch. On both sides of the chancel, at the W. end, are small
squints from the aisles, with chamfered segmental heads. The
late 15th-century chancel arch is two-centred; the responds
and soffit are decorated with tiers of cusped stone panelling
flanked to E. and W. by continuous mouldings. The N. respond
is pierced, high up, by the rood stair passage, the chamfered
half-arch of which is seen in the N. aisle. The 19th-century
roof is supported on sculptured corbels that are probably of
the 15th century: N. wall, (i) and (iv) an angel with folded
wings bearing a shield; (ii) a mitred bishop, blessing; (iii) a
king. S. wall, (i) a human face; (ii) a head flanked by hands
bearing torches; (iii) a similar head and hands bearing a cross
and a book; (iv) a bearded head.
The Nave (39 ft. by 18 ft.) is flanked to N. and S. by uniform
arcades of three bays; that to the N. was extensively restored
in 1877. The arches are two-centred and of two hollow-chamfered orders springing from slender piers and responds,
composed of attached shafts separated by hollow-chamfers,
with moulded capitals and bases. The North Aisle (10 ft. wide)
has, externally, a chamfered and moulded plinth, a hollow-chamfered parapet string-course and an embattled parapet with
a moulded coping, all rendered. The N.E. and N.W. corners
have two-stage diagonal buttresses with weathered offsets; the
two intermediate square-set buttresses, of ashlar and rubble, are
of 1877. The E. window and the three N. windows are uniform
except that the sill of the central N. window incorporates the
head of the N. doorway; each window is of three transomed
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, and with
casement-moulded outer reveals; the transoms are composed
of the four-centred cinquefoil heads of the lower lights combined
with inverted trefoils at the foot of the upper lights; the upper
lights have cinquefoil ogee heads; the tracery lights are cinque-foiled at top and bottom. The N. doorway has a two-centred
head with ogee and hollow-chamfered mouldings, continuous
jambs and chamfered stops. The South Aisle is uniform with
the N. aisle except that the middle bay, masked by the two-storied porch, has no window. The S. doorway has a moulded
four-centred head with continuous jambs; beside it, in the S.
aisle, is a four-centred doorway to the porch chamber vice;
both openings are of c. 1877.
Buckland Newton, the Parish Church of The Holy Rood
The West Tower (12½ ft. by 12 ft.) is set a little to the S. of
the nave centre-line. It has three storeys internally and two
stages externally; the N.W. and S.W. diagonal buttresses are
of two weathered stages; they do not extend into the upper
stage of the tower, suggesting that it may originally have been
lower than at present. At the base is a chamfered plinth; the
upper stage is defined by a hollow-chamfered string-course and
below the parapet is a moulded string-course with gargoyles.
The parapet is embattled, with a crocketed finial on each
corner. The two-centred tower arch is of two moulded orders, the
outer order continuous and the inner order dying into the
responds at springing level. The tower vice, on the N. side,
has a 19th-century external doorway and an original internal
doorway with a chamfered two-centred head. The 15th-century W. doorway has a two-centred head with a concentric
hollow-chamfered label terminating to the N. in a lion stop
and to the S. in a beast; above, the W. window has three
cinquefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery in a casementmoulded two-centred outer head, with a hollow-chamfered
label. The upper stage has square-headed two-light belfry
windows on the E., N. and W. sides; at a lower level the N.
side also has a square-headed two-light window to the clock
chamber. The clock-face is to the W. and a 12th-century figure
of Christ in Majesty, now in the S. porch, was formerly set
in a small niche above it.
The South Porch (10 ft. square) has an upper chamber and
at the S.E. and S.W. corners are diagonal buttresses of two
weathered stages. The rendered, embattled parapet is continuous
with that of the aisle; it has a hollow-chamfered parapet string
with a gargoyle at each southern corner. The S. archway,
probably of the 19th century, is of ashlar, with a moulded
four-centred head under a square label; the spandrels are
decorated with trefoils and quatrefoils. Above, the square-headed two-light window of the upper chamber is probably
of the 18th century. The 15th-century lierne vault of the porch
has hollow-chamfered wall, diagonal and intermediate ribs
springing from moulded angle corbels; the ridge and diagonal
ribs meet at a large central boss carved with a double rose; the
intersections of the intermediate ribs and liernes are masked by
foliate bosses while smaller leaf bosses mask the outer intersections.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd, by John Wallis, inscribed 'Iohn
Phillippes Vicar Gilbert Duning John Squier' with monogram
IW and date 1581; 3rd, inscribed 'Ave Maria' in Lombardic
capitals; 4th, by Thomas Purdue, 1670; 5th, by T. and J.
Bilbie, 1793; 6th, by John Wallis, inscribed 'John Phillipps
vicar Edward Boxly Thomas Frye churchwardens', with monogram IW and date 1609. Books: Bible in black-letter, 8 ins. by
6 ins., 1589, rebound. Brasses: In chancel, on S. wall, (1) to
Leonard Pount, 1829, inscription-tablet (8 ins. by 16 ins.) by
J. Latten. In S. aisle, on W. wall, (2) to Thomas Barnes, 1624,
brass plate (8 ins. by 14½ ins.) with Latin inscription (Plate 41).
Chair: of mahogany, with reeded sabre-shaped legs and carved
shell-shaped back, early 19th century. Chest: of oak, (1¼ ft. by
3¾ ft.) with three locks, mid to late 18th century. Coffin stools:
two, with turned legs. 17th and early 18th century. Font:
Octagonal stone bowl with vertical sides carved with formalised
flowers, hollow-chamfered underside and moulded octagonal
stem, 15th century.
Monuments: In chancel, on S. wall, (1) of Anna Selleck,
1680, stone cartouche, part of a monument recorded by Hutchins
(III, 712). In S. aisle, (2) of Fitzwalter Foy, 1781, and Elizabeth
Maria his wife, 1806, erected by their daughter E. M. Foy,
grey and white marble tablet flanked by reeded pilasters, surmounted by female figure posed beside urn, fluted apron
below, signed 'T. King, Bath' (Plate 39). In churchyard, E. of
chancel, (3) of Ann Venables, 1817, table-tomb with arms, (4)
of Richard Childes, 1627, table-tomb, (5) of Henry Lewis,
1845, Mary Caroline Venables, 1846, and J. Venables, 1850,
table-tomb in form of Hellenistic altar; N. of chancel, (6) of
Michael Millar, 1681, and others of the same family, table-tomb with 17th, 18th and 19th-century inscriptions; S.E. of
chancel, (7) of Dunning family, 1600 and later, table-tomb;
W. of porch, (8) of Rev. Timothy Collins, 1766, table-tomb
with arms; E. of porch, (9) of Mary Tucksberry, 1698, headstone.
Plate: includes silver cup of 1571 and pair of stand-patens
of 1827 and 1829, also silver flagon of 1762. Poor-box: of oak,
3 ft. high, with chamfered post with diagonal banding on
two sides supporting square coffer carved on each face with
crocketed ogee ornament and decorated at corners with
knopped standards; lid fastened by hinged iron cross-straps,
one fixed, three with locks; 16th century (Plate 22). Pulpit:
of oak, hexagonal, with moulded base and cornice, each
face with two fielded panels with marquetry decoration;
18th century. Seating: In chancel and nave, twenty-two 15th-century oak bench ends with moulded edges and linenfold
panels, four with foliate finials, others square-topped, many
with new top rails; twelve similar panels incorporated in
desks to front pews. Sundial: On parapet of S. porch, rectangular stone dial with initials I.H., H.E. and date 1704. Weather-vane: of wrought-iron, inscribed FF, 1735, now in porch
chamber. Miscellanea: Loose in porch chamber, (1) floor-tiles,
15th or 16th century; (2) three carved stone fragments with
chevron ornament and roll-mouldings, 12th century. In S.
aisle, reset over S. doorway, (3) mica-schist relief (13 ins. by
10 ins.) representing warrior with bow and spear, possibly N.
European, 7th or 8th century (cf. Böhner, Bonner Jahrbuch (1951),
108 f.), discovered in Vicarage garden, 1910 (Plate 13). In
porch, over S. doorway, (4) sculptured limestone fragment
depicting Christ in Majesty, with right hand raised in blessing
and left arm across waist, perhaps holding book, 12th century
(Plate 12); moved from W. side of tower, 1960.
(2) Brockhampton Bridge (71690622), 12 ft. wide
by 21 ft. long, is of the early 19th century and has two
spans and round-ended rubble piers. The rubble parapets are capped with rough stones set on edge.
(3) Wayside Cross (66430345), at Minterne Parva,
is probably of the 15th century. It now consists of a
stone plinth, 3 ft. square and 1 ft. 3 ins. high, upon
which rests an octagonal base, 3 ft. across and 6 ins.
high, into which is morticed the stump of a shaft,
1 ft. 3 ins. square on plan and 2 ft. 4 ins. high. Vertical
grooves suggest that the shaft had a moulded standard
at each corner.
(4) Castle Hill (69230682), 1 m. N.N.E. of the
parish church, also called Duntish Court, was designed
c. 1760 by Sir William Chambers for Fitzwalter Foy.
The house was originally of brick with stone dressings
but the walls were rendered in the 19th century; at
the same time the roof was heightened. The house
was demolished in 1965 and in the course of its destruction the finely jointed red brickwork of the original
fabric was revealed.
Castle Hill was a dignified country residence showing
Palladian influence in the massing of the central block
and flanking pavilions. It is illustrated in Vitruvius
Britannicus, V, pls. 61–3, and in Hutchins (1st ed., II, opp.
p. 257). These illustrations show that the central block
was originally without attics and that the pavilions
were joined to the central block only by low screen
walls, pierced by gateways. Each pavilion was surmounted by a square lantern with arched sides and
a concave tent-shaped roof, probably lead-covered,
supporting a weather-vane. Subsequently, to enlarge
the house, the roof-level of the centre block was raised
and dormer-windowed attic rooms were provided; the
stairs were remodelled and a vestibule was added; the
N. pavilion, originally containing stables, was made
into kitchens and service rooms; the pavilions were
joined to the central block by converting the screen
walls into ground-floor passages, and the lanterns on
the pavilions were turned into chimneys by removing
the tent-shaped roof and inserting a tall octagonal flue
at the centre of each. These changes were made in the
second half of the 19th century.
The following description, compiled while the house
was still standing, is given in the present tense in the
usual terms of the Commission's survey.
Architectural Description—The main part of the house is of
three storeys with dormer-windowed attics. The ground floor,
originally service rooms, now contains a billiard room and living
rooms of secondary importance; the principal rooms are on the
first floor and are approached from the garden by ornamental
flights of steps; the principal bedrooms are on the second floor.
The main entrance, at ground level on the W., is preceded by
a 19th-century octagonal vestibule, rusticated externally and
roofed with a lead dome. The vestibule and the passages on
either side, leading to the N. and S. pavilions, conceal the lower
part of the main block. Above them, the W. façade is symmetrical and of five bays, the three middle bays being grouped
in a slightly projecting pedimented feature; the windows of
the flanking bays are more isolated; the central projection is
also emphasised by a subsidiary cornice at second-floor sill level.
The main cornice, with modillions, is set some distance above
the second-floor window heads; the same mouldings with the
addition of a corona form the inclined coping of the pediment.
Above the flanking bays the original cornice is surmounted
by a high plaster cove decorated at intervals with acanthus
scrolls in relief; the cove and the dormer windows in the
heightened roof are of the 19th century.
The E. façade (Plate 123) resembles the W. in having a pedimented central projection of three bays, and single-windowed
flanking bays. The ground floor has rusticated quoins at the outer
angles and window lintels with heavily rusticated voussoirs. In
the centre a double stone stair sweeps up to a balustraded platform
in front of the central first-floor opening, which extends down
to the floor and has a semicircular head, and glazed doors in
place of the lower sash. The other first-floor windows have
moulded stone architraves with horizontal entablatures; the
second-floor windows have architraves only. The cornice,
pediment and coved eaves are similar to those of the W. front.
The S. façade is without a pediment, but otherwise repeats
the details of the E. front; it has three openings on each floor
including a doorway at the centre on the ground floor;
a pedimented hood distinguishes the central window on the
first floor. The N. façade has fenestration similar to that on
the S. but the openings resemble those of the W. front in
having no architrave mouldings.
The N. and S. pavilions are single-storied. The N. pavilion
is faced on the E. side with rusticated round-headed arcading
in five bays, the end bays projecting a little in front of the
other three. The middle arch has a doorway with a fanlight
above, the other four arches have rectangular windows. The
roof is of slate with lead dressings and the eaves have coved
cornices. The plan of the service rooms inside the pavilion bears
no relation to the E. façade, being separated from it by a
corridor. The S. pavilion is similar to the N., except that the
S. bay of the arcaded E. front is replaced by a glass conservatory.
The great central chimney-stack on each pavilion is a prominent
feature; it comprises an embattled octagonal flue rising through
an open aedicule, square on plan, with a round-headed arch
in each side and ball finials on canted pedestals at the corners.
The aedicules appear to survive from the roof lanterns of the
Buckland Newton. (4) Castle Hill. Plan of principal storey
Inside the main block, the central doorway of the W. front
leads into the octagonal vestibule and thence, by a short flight
of stairs, to the Hall where are the principal staircase, a doorway
to the Saloon on the E., and doorways to the Drawing Room
and Boudoir on the S. The stairs and other fittings are of the
19th century. The Saloon has a panelled dado and six-panel
doors with a central bead to simulate two leaves. The doorway
architraves are capped by heavy entablatures with pulvinated
oak-leaf friezes in gesso. The fireplace surround, of plaster in
imitation of stone, is decorated with swags of drapery flanking
a bull's skull below a Doric cornice. The Drawing Room
doors and doorways are generally similar to those in the Saloon.
The 18th-century plaster ceiling and cornices are enriched with
foliate ornament, swags, reeding and trophies of musical instruments (Plate 72). In the fireplace surround, richly decorated
white marble brackets support a white marble frieze and
cornice, set off against a background of red marble; the middle
panel of the frieze has a classical urn and sprays of foliage, the
side panels, over the brackets, have paterae; below the brackets
are lion masks and pendent wreaths. In the Dining Room the
walls are decorated with large plaster panels. A frieze of pendent
drapery between vases is surmounted by a modillion cornice,
and the ceiling is enriched with a reeded oval border entwined
with vine sprays; at the centre are three wreaths of ears of
corn, the central wreath surrounding an urn and patera. The
fireplace has an inner surround of red veined marble flanked
by wooden Ionic columns which support an entablature with
a centre panel depicting putti among vine wreaths. The Morning
Room has a wooden fireplace surround enriched with acanthus
leaves and a central frieze panel of leaves and wreaths. In the
Boudoir, niches flanking the fireplace have glazed doors with
traceried glazing bars. The variegated marble fireplace surround
is flanked by wooden pilasters carved with masks from which
hang wreathed leaf sprays, above is a frieze of classical urns
and swags of leaves. On the ground floor, below, the Billiard
Room has an ornate fireplace in which the cornice is supported
on foliate scroll brackets from which pendent sprays of flowers
and fruit hang down on each side; in the frieze swags of grape
vine luxuriate on each side of a central urn.
The mullioned stone windows from a 16th or 17th-century
building are reset in the flint wall of a Summer House, 100 yds.
W. of the main building. They are chamfered and hollow-chamfered and have plain labels. They probably come from
the earlier house, which stood to the S. of the 18th-century
building (Hutchins, III, 708); Thomas Barnes repaired it in the
17th century (Coker, 95). To the S. of the S. pavilion is an 18th-century Grotto of rubble and flint.
Buckland Newton, Henley and
(5) The Vicarage (68810527), 30 yds. E. of (1), has
two storeys and attics; the main block is of the first
half of the 18th century and a S.W. wing was added
about 1850. The E. front is of brickwork in Flemish
bond; elsewhere the walls are rendered or tile-hung.
The symmetrical E. front is of seven bays, including a pedimented central block of three bays standing forward some
10 ft. The corners of the centre block and of the extremities
have brick pilasters rising from a chamfered plinth and continuing through the parapets, which mask the roof. A moulded
brick parapet string-course is returned around the pilasters and
at the top is a moulded stone coping. The pediment, an inclined
continuation of the parapet, has a central urn finial, rectangular
on plan, with a moulded base and a gadrooned bowl. The
central doorway is flanked by a pair of rusticated Doric pilasters,
in wood, with an entablature with a triple keystone and a dentil
cornice. The windows on each side of the doorway and the
three windows on the first floor have segmental brick heads
with keystones; the window to the right of the doorway and
the middle one on the first floor are false, so also is the round
window in the pediment; the others are sashed. The sashed
windows in the four flanking bays have flat brick lintels without
keystones; the ground-floor openings are taller than those
above, reaching down to the floor. Inside, the hall and one
bedroom contain 18th-century panelling. The open-string
stairs have moulded and ramped handrails with a horizontal
curtail volute on a Tuscan-column newel post. The balusters,
two to a tread, consist of small Tuscan columns above vasehaped pedestals.
(6) The Manor House (68660527), 100 yds. W. of
the church, has two storeys with basements and attics.
The walls are of rendered rubble with ashlar dressings
and the roofs are slated. Although the remains of a
17th-century building are identifiable, particularly in
the basement, the greater part of the house is probably
of the early 19th century. It is an unusually early but
successful example of the revival of the 'Tudor' style.
The overall proportions are those of an 18th-century
house but most of the architectural ornament is of
The E. front has two gabled bays flanking a narrow, parapeted middle bay. Low casement windows in the chamfered
plinth light the basement. Above, each gabled bay has a three-light mullioned and transomed window with wooden casements on ground and first floors and a smaller three-light
attic window in the gable. The middle bay contains the front
doorway, above which the first floor has a sashed window
with glazing-bars of Gothic design. All windows have hood-moulds, and the shoulders and tops of the gables have crocketed
finials. The lead rainwater head of the middle bay bears the
initials E.P., the wild-man crest of the Pouletts who formerly
owned the house, and the date 1803. The N. and S. fronts have
details similar to those of the E. front. The W. front comprises
various later additions, among them a drawing-room wing
that is probably of the late 19th century. Inside, the original
house is represented by a large fireplace in the basement
kitchen, spanned by two four-centred arches, by two stone
angle fireplaces with four-centred heads, moulded jambs and
chamfered stops on the ground and first floors, and by the
remains of walled-up stone-mullioned windows in the inner
wall of the drawing-room. Some rooms contain reset 17th-century oak panelling.
The Stables to the S. are of rubble with brick dressings, and
have slated roofs; a rainwater head is dated 1839.
Except as otherwise stated the following dwellings
are probably of the latter part of the 18th century.
Generally they are two-storied, or of one storey with
an attic, and the walls are of cob, rubble or brick;
many have thatched roofs.
(7) Cottages (69320532), two adjacent at right angles, are
two-storied with thatched roofs. The walls facing S. and E.
are of flint with brick dressings; the others are of rubble, with
cob in the upper part.
(8) Cottages (68660520), two adjacent, 60 yds. S. of (6), have
rendered walls and thatched roofs.
(9) Cottages (68770487), two but now comprising one house,
are of coursed rubble and thatch. The S. cottage is of the 17th
century; the other was added in the late 18th or early 19th
(10) Henley Farm (69600418), of two storeys with rubble
walls and thatched roofs, was originally two cottages. Adjacent,
to the N., is a brick Barn.
(11) Cottage (69490436), two storied, has been largely rebuilt
in recent times but retains one 17th-century bay in which the
wall is of banded flint and stone, with stone quoins, and in
which occurs a three-light window with hollow-chamfered
stone mullions and a label. An arcaded Granary to the S. dates
from the late 18th or early 19th century.
(12) Bookham Farm (70660417), house, is probably of the
early 18th century. Large parts have been rebuilt in brickwork
but the remaining original walls are of rubble. The roof is
thatched. Inside are some deeply chamfered beams with plain
run-out stops, and there is an open fireplace in the S. end wall.
(13) Brockhampton Farm (71190559), house, is of the early
18th century and has brick and rubble walls with a brick platband at first-floor level; the roof is thatched. A two-storied
porch has a round-headed brick doorway with moulded imposts
to the S., and bull's-eye windows to E. and W.
(14) New Inn (68730510), now a private house, is two-storied, with rubble walls and a thatched roof, and has a ground
plan of three rooms in a straight range. It was built about the
end of the 17th century. The chimney-stack on the S. side of
the middle room serves two open fireplaces set back-to-back.
The entrance is in the W. front, opposite the base of the stack.
The N. room has a fireplace with a separate chimney in the
N. gable wall.
Early 19th-century buildings in Buckland Newton village
include the Post Office, 300 yds. S. of the church, of flint with
brick dressings, and Bladeley House (68720479), a two-storied
building, gracefully proportioned, with rendered walls, low-pitched slated roofs with wide eaves, and large sashed windows;
it was built in 1850. Also of the early 19th century are Millers
Farm (70590536), mainly of brick but with the N.E. front of
coursed rubble with brick quoins, and a Cottage (70620649),
with a symmetrical rendered front, end chimneys and a thatched
Castle Hill, see Monument (4).
(15) White House (69000676) is two-storied with rendered
walls and a low-pitched slated roof. The W. wing dates from
the 18th century and the E. wing was added in the 19th century.
(16) Duntish Mill (69400600) is a single-storied 18th-century dwelling house of coursed rubble with dormerwindowed attics in a thatched roof. The former water-mill
has been dismantled.
(17) Cottage (69060652), of cob in one storey with attics
under a thatched roof, is probably of the late 16th century;
the gabled end walls have been subsequently rebuilt in brick.
The ground plan comprises two rooms separated by a chimney-stack, the S. room being the larger of the two. Winding stairs
to the E. of the stack give access to the N. attic. The S. room
is sub-divided by a timber-framed partition with an ogee-headed doorway. A second staircase in the S.W. corner of the
range suggests that the cottage was at some time divided into
two tenements. The roof appears to comprise four jointed-cruck
Monuments of the 19th century in Duntish also include a house
at 69520668 and a pair of cottages at 69500649. Cottages at
Spring Grove (69060612) were refaced in the 19th century,
but probably incorporate 18th-century walls.
(18) Revels Inn Farm (67540603), house, is of two storeys
with rendered walls and a slated roof. It was built towards the
end of the 18th century and is said to have been an inn formerly
and to figure in Thomas Hardy's 'The Woodlanders'. The symmetrical W. front is of five bays, with the doorway in a slightly
projecting pedimented centre bay; the windows are sashed.
Inside, the room to the N. of the entrance hall-way is lined
from floor to ceiling with fielded panelling in two heights,
with panelled dado-rail and dentilled cornice; the door-case
has details in the Gothic style comprising clustered shafts on
each side and a moulded ogee arch with crockets and finials
above the lintel.
(19) Revels Farm (67700524), house, is a two-storied building
with walls of banded flint and rubble. The nucleus is of the
17th century and has an L-shaped plan; at the S. end is a late
18th or early 19th-century barn with walls of brick and rubble.
The E. wall of the 17th-century house has a hollow-chamfered
stone window of four square-headed lights with a moulded
label on the ground floor and a similar three-light window on
the first floor. The original N. wall, concealed by a lean-to
addition, includes the remains of similar mullioned windows.
The S. side of the W. wing retains stone windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and weathered hood-moulds, and a stone
doorway with a chamfered four-centred head; the latter is
surmounted by a small three-light stone window. There is a
mullioned two-light attic window in the W. gable wall. A
fireplace in the W. wing has a four-centred stone head.
Clinger Farm (66890537) is an early 19th-century farmhouse
of rubble in two storeys with a tiled roof.
(20) Minterne Parva Farm (66450345) includes an early
19th-century House with rendered walls and a slated roof, and
a Granary that is probably of the 18th century. The latter is a
circular building raised above ground on eight arches; the lower
part is of rubble with squared rubble dressings, the upper part
is of brick, and the conical roof is slated.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(21) Bank and Ditch (66830523–67590517), on the N. side
of Little Minterne Hill in the extreme W. of the parish, encloses
about 150 acres and is probably a park pale. Where best preserved, to the S.W., the bank is 20 ft. wide and 3 ft. high with
an internal ditch 12 ft. wide and 2 ft. deep. The circuit is very
irregular with many changes of direction, especially on the
(22) Cultivation Remains. Traces of open fields occur in
three distinct areas of the parish. Buckland Newton had a twofield system in 1548 (Buckland Manor Court Roll, 1548, P.R.O.,
S.C.2, Bundle 169, No. 4); it was finally enclosed in 1734
(Enclosure Award, D.C.R.O.). On the S.E. side of Ridge
Hill (677046–685052), S.W. of the village, are extensive remains
of contour strip lynchets arranged in four end-on interlocking
furlongs, 100 yds. to 250 yds. long. To the S.W. the strip
lynchets run over 'Celtic' fields (Group (39)). In 1734 all but
the S.W. furlong lay in West Field.
Henley, or Knoll, had five separate open fields before enclosure in 1734. Traces of ridge-and-furrow visible on air
photographs (R.A.F. CPE/UK 2431: 3353–5) S.E. of Bladely
House (687047) appear to have been in Arberry Field in 1734
(Enclosure Award, D.C.R.O.).
Nothing is known of the date of inclosure of the open fields
of Duntish but there are remains in three places. Immediately
N.W. of Knapp Hill Farm (686057) is a series of strip lynchets
running obliquely to the contours, 170 yds. long with low
risers and treads 40 yds. wide. Below and to the N. are two
furlongs of ridge-and-furrow 6 yds. to 7 yds. wide. On the
E. side of Dungeon Hill (691073) are four contour strip lynchets
up to 330 yds. long, in poor condition.
There are no remains of the open fields of Minterne Parva,
which had a two-field system in 1548 but was enclosed by 1734.
Probable Settlement, see 'Celtic' Fields.
'Celtic' Fields, see pp. 326–7, Groups (39), (40).
(23) Bowl Barrow (67410320), on the ridge top W. of
Holcombe Wood and on the boundary with Cerne Abbas
and Minterne Magna, lies in a hedgerow, but ploughing has
largely destroyed it on either side; diam. about 50 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(24) Barrow (67670474), at 680 ft. O.D. on Gales Hill, has
had most of the top dug away; diam. 42 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(25) Barrow (67660477) 30 yds. N.N.W. of (2); diam.
27 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(26) Barrow (67030430), formerly in Buckland Newton
parish and now in Minterne Magna, lies at over 800 ft. O.D.
on Little Minterne Hill, in an area of 'Celtic' fields. It is very
irregular, having been heavily ploughed; diam. about 50 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.
Dungeon Hill hill-fort, see Dorset 1, 169, Minterne Magna (6).