9 BURLESTON (7794)
(O.S. 6 ins. SY 79 NE, SY 79 SE)
The parish of Burleston covers only 366 acres and
measures barely 500 yds. from W. to E. It stretches
N. from the R. Piddle between Puddletown and
Tolpuddle, the Devil's Brook forming the W. boundary.
The village is at the S. end of the parish at the edge of
the flood plain. The mediaeval open fields were not
enclosed until the 19th century.
Burleston, Remains of Church
(1) The Parish Church, now in ruins, stands N.W.
of the village. The walls are of flint with ashlar dressings;
the surviving roofs are slated. Only the Chancel remains
standing; the N. and possibly the E. walls are of the
13th century; the S. and W. walls, of flint with brick
bonding courses, were probably rebuilt in 1910 when
the structure was repaired and re-roofed.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (11¼ ft. square) has
in the E. wall a 15th-century window of two lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head. The N. wall retains an
original chamfered lancet light. A 15th-century doorway with
casement-moulded head and jambs has been reset in the modern
Fittings—Brackets: Reset on each side of the E. window,
plain mediaeval corbel-stones. Font: Stone bowl approximately
2 ft. in diameter and of uncertain date, now transferred to
Broadwindsor. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In churchyard, E. of chancel, (1) of Thomas Grose, 1675, and commemorating his parents and ancestors, table-tomb; S. of
chancel, (2) of Richard Phillips of E. Elworth, 1644, table-tomb;
(3) of Thomas Jesse, 1744, and Thomas Jesse, junior, 1746,
headstone. Floor-slab: W. of chancel, originally in nave, of
Mrs. Susannah Grosse, 1693, with incised mask. Plate: kept at
Puddletown, includes Elizabethan cup and cover-paten, the
cup with mark of Lawrence Stratford and the cover-paten
with '1575' engraved on foot; also silver stand-paten of 1717
and 19th-century silver-plated flagon, both given in 1843.
(2) The Rectory (77679428), 130 yds. S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys, with walls of rendered brick and cob; the
roofs are slated and tiled. The house consists of a late 17th or
early 18th-century N. wing, much altered, and a main S. range
which was added in the second half of the 18th century. The
symmetrical S. front is of three bays and has a plat-band at
first-floor level, a moulded brick eaves-cornice and sashed
windows. The central doorway has 18th-century Gothic
clustered side-pilasters and an entablature with cusped arcading.
The staircase has latticed banisters and a moulded handrail.
(3) House (77559426), 40 yds. S. of the church, is of two
storeys with walls of rendered rubble and cob; the roofs are
modern. Built in the 18th century, with later lean-to additions,
the house is now divided into three tenements. A Barn to the E.
of the house has been altered and reduced in size; the 19th-century brick S. wall has two-stage buttresses with stepped
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(4) Cultivation Remains. As late as 1843 (Tithe Map) the
open fields of the parish were still unenclosed; they were
named Bottom, Hill, and North Fields; the date of enclosure
is unknown. A single contour strip lynchet, 130 yds. long, some
200 yds. N.E. of the village, is the only fragment that remains;
in 1843 it was one of a group of strips which made up Heading
Bottom Furlong in Hill Field.
Roman and Prehistoric
Monuments (5–8), Round Barrows
Four barrows lie above 250 ft. O.D. on Burleston Down at
the W. end of a scatter that extends into the adjacent parishes
of Dewlish and Milborne; all have been heavily ploughed. An
incense cup was recovered from a large barrow 'removed for
agricultural operations on Burlestone Farm, near Dewlish Old
Turnpike Gate' (C.T.D., illustration on title-page). The barrow
must have been adjacent to (7) and (8).
(5) Bowl (77849599), on a gentle N. slope on the summit of
the down; ploughed almost flat; diam. about 45 ft.
(6) Bowl (77699632), immediately N. of the PuddletownMilborne road; diam. about 45 ft., ht. 9 ins.
(7) Bowl (77949634), 270 yds. E. of (2) and immediately S.
of the Puddletown-Milborne road; diam. about 75 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(8) Bowl (77989635), 50 yds. E. of (3); diam. about 90 ft.,
ht. 2½ ft.