21 HAZELBURY BRYAN (7508)
(O.S. 6 ins. ST 70 NW, ST 70 NE, ST 71 SW)
Hazelbury Bryan is a large parish of 2,400 acres,
undulating between 240 ft. and 300 ft. above sea-level
and drained by several small streams which flow N.
and N.W. to the R. Lydden, and N.E. to the R. Stour.
A broad band of Corallian Limestone and Sand traverses
the area from S.W. to N.E.; to N.W. the soil is Oxford
Clay, to S.E. it is Kimmeridge Clay.
The somewhat scattered pattern of occupation seems
to have developed from the three settlements of Droop,
Wonston and Kingston, which all lie at about 300 ft.
altitude on the Corallian Limestone. Whether each
had a separate mediaeval open field system is not known;
such fields as existed were partly enclosed by the
middle of the 14th century, (fn. 1) and the map of the parish
made in 1607 by Ralph Treswell (fn. 2) shows that they
had been entirely enclosed by that date. On the other
hand the hamlet of Woodrow seems to represent an
extension of settlement into the waste area to the N.E.
(where Treswell shows 'common closes'); monument
(26) was probably built in consequence of this movement, while monuments (27) to (31) represent further
encroachment on the waste between the early 17th
century and 1858, when enclosure was completed. (fn. 3)
The group of cottages at Park Gate is a 19th-century
settlement on land which, as Treswell shows, was
already enclosed by 1607; indeed this enclosure may
even go back to the 14th century. (fn. 4)
The most important monument is the parish church.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary and St. James
(Plate 5) is in the hamlet of Droop. It has walls of
roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; the nave
and the N. aisle are roofed with stone-slates, the chancel
is tiled and the other roofs are lead-covered. The entire
building, comprising Chancel, South Chapel, Nave,
North and South Aisles, West Tower and South Porch,
dates from the second half of the 15th century. The
chancel and tower appear to have been built first and
the nave and other parts subsequently, and over a
number of years since the S. arcade is stylistically
about twenty years later than the N. arcade. The chancel
was restored in 1827 and general restorations were
undertaken in 1895.
The church is a good example of 15th-century
architecture with few later alterations. The roofs are
original and richly decorated and some interesting
mediaeval glass is preserved. (For plan, see p. 106.)
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25½ ft. by 15½ ft.)
has a casement-moulded 15th-century E. window of three two-centred lights with cinquefoil cusping and vertical tracery; the
two-centred head has a hood-mould with head-stops. The N.
wall, largely rebuilt in ashlar in 1827, has two restored windows
each of two cinquefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil above,
under a main head of shallow triangular form with casement
mouldings which continue on the jambs; above are hollow-chamfered hood-moulds with square leaf stops; the rear arches
are stone slabs pitched together at the apex. The S. wall of the
chancel has one window uniform with those of the N. wall.
Further W. is a segmental-pointed archway to the S. Chapel; it
is of three orders, comprising ogee mouldings on each side of a
hollow-chamfer; the ogee mouldings spring from capitals
enriched with conventional foliage. On the responds, the inner
ogee is carried on attached shafts while the hollow-chamfer and
the outer ogee are continuous; the moulded bases have hollow-chamfered polygonal plinths. Both in the arch and in the responds
the continuous hollow-chamfer is decorated at intervals on the
N. side with square foliate bosses. The chancel arch, partly
rebuilt in the 19th century, is two-centred and of three orders.
It resembles the archway to the S. Chapel except that the inner
ogee is replaced by a roll-moulding and there are no foliate
bosses. The mouldings continue on the responds but they are
interrupted at the springing by horizontal fillets in place of
capitals. The stairs to the former rood-loft are entered through
a square-headed doorway in the S. face of the S. respond and a
corbelled step appears on the W. face of the respond where the
vice emerges at the top.
The South Chapel (17 ft. by 9 ft.) has a three-light E. window
similar to that of the chancel; the hood-mould has square stops
with flower centres. The S. wall contains a two-light window
uniform with those in the side walls of the chancel, and a narorw
doorway with a two-centred wave-moulded head, continuous
jambs and broach stops. The S. and E. walls have embattled
parapets with hollow-chamfered string-courses and moulded
copings; a grotesque gargoyle is set in the string-course above
the E. window. A diagonal buttress of two stages with weathered
offsets strengthens the S.E. corner and a similar buttress is set
square against the S. wall; it marks the W. end of the chapel but
there is no internal feature, except a change in floor level, to
distinguish the chapel from the S. aisle. Above each buttress a
grotesque gargoyle protrudes from the string-course.
The Nave (41½ ft. by 16½ ft.) is flanked on the N. by an arcade
of four bays with two-centred arches of three orders (Plate 138),
similar to those of the archway to the S. Chapel, described above,
but without foliate bosses. The piers consist of four attached
shafts alternating with hollow-chamfers; the shafts have simple
moulded capitals and moulded polygonal bases; at the level of
the caps each hollow-chamfer is ornamented with a foliate boss.
The responds are similar half-piers but part of the E. respond has
been cut away, probably to make room for a former pulpit. The
S. arcade corresponds with that on the N. in spacing, but the
arches are slightly lower and the mouldings, particularly those
of the capitals, are coarser.
Hazelbury Bryan, the Parish Church of St. Mary & St. James
The North Aisle (41¾ ft. by 7¾ ft.) must have been built after
the W. tower because the profile of the vice turret appears
internally on the W. The gabled E. wall has a weathered ashlar
coping with a cross finial. The 15th-century E. window is of
three cinquefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery and a
casement-moulded two-centred outer head with continuous
jambs; the rear arch is two-centred and hollow-chamfered. The
N. wall has three square-set buttresses of two weathered stages
and the N.E. and N.W. corners have similar buttresses set
diagonally; between the buttresses are four three-light windows,
uniform with the E. window of the aisle but set at a lower level.
The South Aisle (39 ft. by 9 ft.) has a S. wall continuous with
that of the S. Chapel and with a continuous string-course and
parapet mouldings, and similar buttresses. Gargoyles protrude
from the string-course in correspondence with the buttresses,
and chamfered standards above them are probably the bases of
former pinnacles. A two-light window near the E. end of the S.
wall is uniform with the adjacent window in the S. Chapel. The
S. doorway has a two-centred moulded head of two orders,
ogee and hollow-chamfered, with continuous jambs and moulded
stops, and a rear arch composed of two chamfered stones pitched
together at the apex. W. of the doorway the S. wall has buttresses
as before described and two two-centred two-light windows with
cinquefoil cusping and vertical tracery; the heads and continuous
jambs are casement-moulded.
The West Tower (11 ft. by 14 ft.) is of rubble with occasional
courses of roughly squared stone; it has four external stages
between the moulded and chamfered plinth and the embattled
parapet. Each stage is marked by a weathered string-course and
a slight recession of the wall-face. Five-stage diagonal ashlar
buttresses with weathered offsets strengthen the N.W. and
S.W. corners, a similar buttress is set square at the E. end of the
S. side and the N.E. corner is strengthened by the vice turret,
which has three principal stages. The embattled parapet has a
continuous moulded coping and a pinnacle with a crocketed
finial at each corner; the vice turret stands a little higher than the
main parapet and has similar terminal features. The tower arch
is two-centred, with a panelled soffit and continuous jambs; the
trefoil-headed panels are set in pairs, in four heights. The vice
doorway has a chamfered four-centred head and continuous
jambs. The W. doorway has a two-centred head with three
orders of mouldings and continuous jambs; it is surmounted by
a square label and the spandrels between the arch and the label
have trefoil panels. Above, the two-centred W. window is of
four cinquefoil ogee-headed lights with vertical tracery; the
hood-mould is an extension of the lower string-course. In the
lower stage the external face of the S. wall is decorated with a
small niche, rectangular in plan, with an ogee canopied head
flanked by crocketed finials. In the second stage two similar
niches occur on either side of the W. window head. In the third
stage is a square-headed N. window of two pointed lights with
trefoil cusping. The fourth stage has in each face a casementmoulded belfry window of two transomed and trefoil-headed
lights with a quatrefoil under a two-centred head with a hood-mould. The lights below the transoms are blocked with stone
panels; those above are louvred.
The South Porch (8½ ft. by 8 ft.) has a string-course and an
embattled parapet resembling those of the S. aisle but at a
lower level; the string-course has a gargoyle at each corner.
The porch entry has a two-centred arch with double ogee
mouldings, continuous jambs and run-out stops; the hollow-chamfered label terminates in square stops with flower centres.
Roofs. The Chancel has a plaster barrel-vault of the 19th century divided into panels by moulded transverse and longitudinal
ribs. At the springing are heavily-moulded wall-plates, and the
intersections of the cross-ribs with the wall-plates are masked by
painted shields, some with heraldic emblems, others with
initials and one dated 1827. The Nave has a 15th-century wagon
roof, four-centred in cross-section; the transverse members
which were originally intended to be visible are moulded, and
they are intersected by moulded longitudinal members to form
panels; the panels must originally have been plastered but the
plaster has now been removed to expose the intermediate
timbers. The intersections of the moulded members are decorated
with leaf-bosses. The transverse members spring from wall-plates with mouldings in two orders, decorated with carved
bosses. The roof of the N. Aisle is of the same date and type as
that of the Nave but narrower and more steeply pitched; blank
shields decorate the wall-plates at the springing of the moulded
transverse members. The S. Aisle and the S. Chapel have a
continuous flat roof of twelve bays defined by heavily moulded
transverse beams with slightly raised centres; the beams are
intersected by a moulded longitudinal member and they rest
on moulded wall-plates, thus forming square coffer-like panels
(Plate 21); the panels are spanned alternately by joists set E.-W.
and N.-S. Carved wooden leaf-bosses at the junctions of the
main members are perhaps not original. The Porch has a similar
roof of four panels with no bosses.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd inscribed 'Feare God IW 1613'; 3rd
inscribed 'Ave gracia [pl]ena' in Lombardic letters, c. 1400;
4th inscribed 'Sancte Andrea' in floreated Lombardic letters,
c. 1400; 5th inscribed 'Remember thy end IW 1613'; others
modern. Benefactors' Tables: In S. aisle, on W. wall, endowment
record, 1709. In porch, endowment record, 1843; adjacent,
matching table of kindred and affinity. Brackets: In chancel,
below piscina, moulded polygonal stone bracket with angel
head retaining traces of red pigment, 15th century. In nave, on
E. respond of S. arcade, stone head-corbel with flat top, with
traces of pigment, 15th century. Chest: of oak, with panelled
front and sides, enriched styles and rails, 17th century. Coffin-stools: two, of oak, with square legs, 18th century. Doors: In S.
doorway, of oak, with vertical external planks and internal
battens, wrought iron strap-hinges, ring-handle, escutcheon-plate and lock, probably all 15th century; in tower vice doorway,
with original planks and hinges, 15th century; in W. doorway,
dated 1827. Font: of Purbeck marble; octagonal bowl decorated
on each face with two shallow round-headed panels and with
chamfered lower edge, cylindrical pedestal surrounded by
eight smaller shafts on chamfered octagonal base, late 12th
century. Font cover of oak, octagonal, with fretted cornice and
tent-shaped head, 18th century, formerly part of pulpit
sounding-board (see old photograph in church).
Glass: In chancel, in tracery of E. window, centre quatrefoil
with blue Tudor rose with yellow rays, N. trefoil with shield-of-arms quarterly of Montagu and Monthermer, S. trefoil with
shield-of-arms paly of Bryan and Bures; in lower tracery lights,
in N. spandrel, leaf pattern, in adjacent cinquefoil, winged seraph
in silver-stain, in next three cinquefoils, reset Tudor roses and
sun, in S. spandrel, plain blue glass, all 15th or 16th century; in
S. window, quatrefoil with leaf patterns and, in place of central
roundel, fragment of glass with lettering, 15th century. In S.
chapel, in E. window, tracery lozenge with fragment depicting
tonsured head, 15th century; in centre light, reset fragment of
canopy. In N. aisle, in E. window, in centre quatrefoil, inverted
yellow and white crown; in two trefoil-headed tracery lights,
lion and eagle symbols of Evangelists, each named on scroll;
below, in two lights, fragments of crocketed canopies. In N.
side of N. aisle, in easternmost window, rose in top quatrefoil
and seraphs in three of four tracery lights (Plate 139, b), fragments of canopies in cinquefoil heads of main lights below; in
second window, rose in top quatrefoil and angel bearing shield
with monogram in each tracery light (Plate 139, a, c and f), also
fragments of canopies below; in third window, angels holding
shields with monograms and emblems in three tracery lights
(Plate 139, d and e), also fragments of canopies below; in fourth
window, small fragments; all 15th century. In tower, in W.
window, another mediaeval fragment. Inscriptions: On plinth
on S. face of tower, 'W.P. 1739'.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel, on N. wall,
(1) of Francis Reed, rector, 1821, marble tablet with arms, by
Gray of Weymouth. In churchyard, against S.E. buttress of
S. Chapel, (2) of Nicholas Kellaway, 1714, headstone with
cherubs' heads (Plate 32); S. of S. porch, (3) of Mary Strange,
1840, 17th-century table-tomb reused. Floor-slabs: In nave, W.
of chancel step, (1) of Richard Hill, 1764; adjacent, (2), (3) and
(4) of Eliz. Woodrow, Elizabeth Hill Woodrow and . . .
Woodrow, three worn 18th and 19th-century Purbeck slabs
forming pavement; further W., (5) illegible, 1696, similar slab.
Niches: In porch, on E. wall, (1) shallow niche with chamfered
trefoil head; to E. of doorway to S. aisle, (2) roughly scooped
round-headed niche. In N. aisle, in N.E. corner, (3) and (4), with
shafted jambs, rib-vaulted canopies with rich crocketed cresting
and angel-brackets, 15th century; on N. wall, (5) large reset
niche, perhaps originally sedile, with grotesque-headed corbel,
banded lateral shafts with crocketed finials, and ogee canopy
with cusping and crockets; canopy flanked by quatrefoil
spandrels with flower centres and surmounted by tall finial
prolonged beyond square outer head, 15th century; niche now
used as setting for modern sculpture. On S. and W. faces of W.
tower, see Architectural Description. Paintings: On S. wall of
nave, texts in two panels, that to E. with angel supporters; late
16th or early 17th century. Piscinae: In chancel, on S. side,
lower part of piscina comprising bowl with central outlet and
chamfered jambs of niche with broach-stops, 15th century; head
of niche formed from fragment of window tracery, 14th century.
In S. chapel, on S. wall, with chamfered round head and cutback basin. Plate: includes silver cup with hallmark and inscription of 1630, paten of 1813, and candlesticks, pair, silver-plated,
late 18th century. Pulpit: of oak, octagonal, inscribed 'Ben
Lidford 1782', with later pedestal and stairs; above, sounding-board with inlaid soffit and fretted cornice, suspended by chain
from nave roof, 18th century; for former head to sounding-board see font-cover. Royal Arms: At W. end of N. aisle,
square panel painted with arms of Queen Anne, superscribed
G.R. 1715. Sundials: On tower, on third stage of S.W. buttress,
inserted rectangular stone slab with iron gnomon, 18th century.
Miscellanea: Reset at N.E. and S.E. corners of S. chapel, two
capitals, one with crowned monogram 'S T' in deeply undercut
foliage surmounted by a moulded abacus (Plate 16), the other
with foliage only, 14th century.
(2) Malthouse Farm (74990835) is a two-storied house with
walls of squared rubble and slated roofs; it is of the late 17th
century with 18th-century additions. A few windows have stone
mullions and weathered hood-moulds. A Barn to the W. is of
the 18th century. Treswell's map shows a house in this position.
(3) Barn, 50 yds. S. of the church, is of the 16th century with
later repairs. The walls are of coursed rubble and the roof is
thatched. The E. wall contains a doorway 10 ft. wide located
20 ft. from the N. end, and what is probably the jamb of a second
doorway 30 ft. further S.; beyond this the building has been
rebuilt. The W. wall has one jamb of an original doorway
opposite to the first but the N. and S. extremities of the wall are
secondary. A cross wall half-way between the two E. doorways
divides the original barn into two parts. The roof is supported
on a series of jointed cruck trusses spanning E.–W. and set 10 ft.
apart; the N. half retains three nearly complete trusses and the
remains of a fourth; the truncated S. half retains two. The
vertical members of each truss start at ground-level and stand
9 ft. high; they curve inwards at the top and are notched into the
principals and fastened with pegs and free tenons. The principals
are tenoned and pegged at the apex and support three purlins on
each side; collar beams occur at the level of the middle purlins.
Treswell's map shows a building in this position.
(4) Droop Farm, 200 yds. S. of the church, is a two-storied
house of coursed rubble with a thatched roof. The S.W. front
has four bays with sashed windows set at wide intervals; an old
gable-line on the end wall shows that it has been heightened.
A stone casement window in the S.E. wall has hollow-chamfered
jambs and a square head. The house was probably built in the
late 17th or early 18th century and remodelled in the 19th
(5) Cottage (75360805), perhaps of the late 16th or early
17th century, is built of rubble in two storeys with an iron roof.
It contains elements of cruck trusses and an 18th-century plank-and-muntin partition.
(6) Cottage (75430797), of rubble, in one storey, with attics
under a thatched roof, is probably of the late 17th or early 18th
century. At the N.W. end is a later extension.
(7) Mount Pleasant Farm (77000837) is an L-shaped two-storied building with rubble walls with some brick dressings,
and slated roofs. The oldest part, at the angle of the L, is an
18th-century cottage with wooden three-light casement
windows; this was extended to the E. in the later part of the
century, and to the S. in the 19th century.
Unless otherwise described, the following monuments are of the 18th century and are two-storied, or
single-storied with dormer-windowed attics; they have
rubble walls, brick chimneys, thatched roofs and casement windows.
(8) Cottage (74420806), has some original leaded casement
windows of the early 18th century. Inside, a large fireplace with
a chamfered bressummer stands against the E. end wall and has
the stairs beside it to the S.
(9) Cottage (74340807), 80 yds. W. of the foregoing, has a N.
front of two bays with a central doorway. The fireplaces are in
the end walls.
(10) House, immediately W. of the foregoing, is of rubble
with brick dressings; it has two storeys with dormer-windowed
attics under a tiled roof and is of the late 18th century.
(11) House, facing the foregoing on the N. side of the lane,
is of brick and has gabled end walls with stone copings; the
symmetrical three-bay S. front is patterned with blue headers.
(12) Cottages (74380808), four, stand in a row facing S.W.
Treswell's map shows that cottages were set close together here
in 1607, as is the case today, but none can be positively identified.
The most southerly is two-storied, of coursed rubble with a
slated roof, and is probably of the early 19th century. The next
has brick walls on a high ashlar plinth and may go back to
Treswell's time although the brick upper part, in English bond,
was probably rebuilt early in the 18th century. The thatched
roof continues over the next cottage to the N.W. which has
similar brick walls and is probably contemporary. The next
cottage is also contemporary with and in the same alignment as
the foregoing; it has been heightened by the insertion of 19th-century semi-dormer attic windows.
(13) Cottages, two adjoining, continue the line of the foregoing towards the N.W. and are probably of the early 18th
or possibly of the late 17th century. The S.W. fronts are rendered
and the interior has been much altered in the conversion of the
two dwellings into one.
(14) House (74280818), 100 yds. N.W. of the foregoing and
on the opposite side of the road, is built of rubble to the height
of the first-floor window-sills; above, it is of brick and the
gabled S. end wall is patterned with blue headers. The roofs
are slated and the windows are sashed. Presumably the original
rubble house was heightened when the brick walls were built,
and this work is probably dated by a stone plaque over the doorway, inscribed 'J.S.S. 1812'. The original building may date from
the late 17th or early 18th century.
(15) The Drum Inn (74380815), 100 yds. E. of the foregoing,
has rubble end walls and a three-bay brick S.E. front patterned
with blue headers; the roof is slated.
(16) Cottages (74310821), two adjacent, were partly refronted
and heightened in brickwork in the 19th century. Inside, the N.
cottage has a stop-chamfered beam.
(17) House (74220837), perhaps originally of the late 17th
century, was refronted with brick and divided into three
tenements in the 19th century (date-stone 'WJM 1821'); it is
now reconverted to a single house. Inside, the N. end room has
a large fireplace, now blocked, with a wooden staircase beside
it, and each of the other ground-floor rooms has a similar
fireplace. One room has a chamfered beam.
(18) Cottage (74240840), has a large fireplace with stairs beside
it against the N. end wall.
(19) Cottage, adjacent to the foregoing, to the N., may be of
the late 17th century. The E. front is of two bays. The roof is
(20) Cottage (74380870), has a rendered three-bay front,
subsequently extended S. The roof is tiled.
(21) Cottages (74450877), four adjoining, are perhaps of the
early 19th century; tiles, slates and thatch are used on the roofs.
The two middle tenements are earlier than the end ones.
(22) Cottage (74730883), has rendered walls and may be of the
late 17th century. A two-light casement window on the E. front
has an ovolo-moulded wooden surround and mullion.
(23) Cottage, 100 yds. N.W. of the foregoing, has rendered
walls; it may be of the late 17th century.
(24) Farmhouse (74660900), has rendered brick walls and tiled
roofs and is of the late 18th or early 19th century, with a
symmetrical three-bay S.E. front and sashed windows.
(25) Inn, 150 yds. S.W. of the foregoing, is a mid 18th-century building with walls of Flemish-bonded brickwork patterned with blue headers; the roofs are tiled. The symmetrical
three-bay S. front has casement windows of three and two lights,
and a plat-band at first-floor level. A rear wing at right-angles to
the front range has walls of the same type of brickwork but with
lower eaves. The E. room of the S. range has a corner fireplace,
with an 18th-century stone surround with a fluted keystone and a
moulded cornice. The room is lined with fielded oak panelling
in two heights with a moulded dado rail.
(26) Farmhouse (74250953), 1 m. N.W. of the parish
church, is two-storied and has cob walls and a thatched
roof (Plate 59). A house is shown here on Treswell's
map of 1607 and it is probable that this is the actual
building; Treswell makes a distinction between houses
with central fireplaces and those with the fireplaces
against the end walls, and the building corresponds with
the map in this respect as well as in location; thus the
house may be assigned with some probability to the
end of the 16th century. To the N. is a single-storied
extension, probably of the 19th century, containing
appliances for cider making. Inside, the former open
fireplace and oven have been blocked. The stairs are
modern. The first floor rests on rough stop-chamfered
(27) High House Farm (73700949) has rendered walls and a
tiled roof and probably dates from the first half of the 18th
century; nevertheless there was a house here in 1607.
(28) Common Farm (73520960) is one-storied with attics,
with rubble and brick walls and thatched roofs, and is of the 18th
century. Inside, there are a stop-chamfered ceiling beam and a
(29) Hazelbury Mill (73140975) is an 18th-century structure
of rubble and brick in two storeys with tiled and stone-slated
roofs. Later remodelling is attested by a stone inscribed 'WSA
1817'. A mill stood here in 1607.
(30) Cottage (72881039), of rendered rubble in two storeys
with a tiled roof, is of the late 18th century.
(31) Cottages (73001020) are of rubble in two storeys with
slated roofs. The S. cottage is of the late 18th or early 19th
century; the other is a little later.
(32) Farmhouse (74940987) consists of two parts, a front
range facing E. and a rear range at right-angles; the latter was
originally an independent cottage. Both ranges have thatched
roofs. The E. range, of Flemish-bonded brickwork patterned
with blue headers, is of the 18th century and has a symmetrical,
two-storied front of five bays, with a central doorway and
casement windows; the first floor is marked by a plat-band and
there is a coved eaves cornice; the gabled end walls are surmounted by chimney stacks. The cottage at the rear is of the
17th century. It has one storey with an attic; the N. and S. walls
are of coursed rubble and the gabled W. wall is of cob. A small
three-light window on the N. side has chamfered wooden
mullions. Internally, the original partitions of the cottage are
lost but the ceiling is supported on large stop-chamfered beams,
one transverse and one longitudinal. At the W. end is a large
open fireplace and to the S. of the fireplace is space for a winding
stair; both these openings are spanned by a continuous chamfered
beam with splayed stops on which is carved the date 1666. A
house is shown in this position on Treswell's map of 1607.
(33) Cottage, 50 yds. E. of the foregoing, is of rubble and
brick in two storeys with thatched roofs. It is of 17th-century
origin but was refronted in the late 18th or early 19th century.
(34) Farmhouse (74960971) is an 18th-century building of
rubble and cob in one storey with attics.
(35) Cottage (75050972) is timber-framed and probably of
the 16th century, but most of the original fabric was hidden or
replaced by rubble walling in the 17th or 18th century. In the
19th century the walls were heightened in brickwork and the
cottage now has two storeys. It is identifiable on Treswell's map.
(36) Cottage, 70 yds. S.W. of the foregoing, is of rubble and
cob in two storeys. The original 18th-century walls were
heightened in brickwork in the 19th century.
(37) House (75090976), of coursed rubble in two storeys with
tiled roofs over thatch, dates from the early 19th century. The
symmetrical three-bay S.W. front has a round-headed central
(38) Date Stone of 1679, from a cottage that was recently
burned down, is preserved in a modern cottage on the same site,
30 yds. N. of (37).
(39) Cottage (75080980), 15 yds. N. of the foregoing, is
two-storied and of coursed rubble with a tiled roof; it is of the
early 18th century. The rendered S.E. front of the original range
has a central doorway flanked by casement windows, and three
corresponding windows on the first floor. The building was
extended S.W. in the 19th century.
(40) Back Lane Farm (75250944) is a single-storied rubble
and cob building with attics under a thatched roof; it is probably
of the 17th century. The N.W. front is of two bays with a central
doorway. Inside, at the N.E. end is an open fireplace with an
oven; a second chimney-stack occurs at the centre of the plan.
Treswell's map of 1607 shows a house in this position.
Late 18th and early 19th-century monuments also include—
Almshouses, immediately N. of the church, with a lengthy poem
incised on two marble wall tablets by Marshall of Blandford;
Sunday School, 275 yds. N.W. of the church, dated 1832; House
(73950950); Kingstag Bridge (72711035), apparently a mid 19th-century structure although a bridge is shown on the plan of
1607; Lyddon House (73200974), with brick stables and barn;
Smithy and House (75300996); two Cottages at Woodrow
(74120962 and 30 yds. to the S.E.); Cottages at Park Gate, at the
S. end of the parish; Stockfield Farm (75500902).
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(41) Cultivation Remains. Treswell's map shows that the
open fields of the parish were already enclosed by 1607. Fragmentary remains of ridge-and-furrow occur in a few places,
for example at 769084 and 769077; these and other traces that
appear on air photographs (R.A.F. CPE/UK 1974: 1180–4,
3180–5) clearly antedate the field boundaries of 1607. The ridge-and-furrow was arranged in curving furlongs.