28 LYDLINCH (7413)
(O.S. 6 ins. ST 71 SW, ST 71 SE)
The parish has an area of about 3,400 acres and is
divided into two parts, distinct from one another both
geologically and historically. The W. part is roughly
square and lies entirely on Oxford Clay at a general
altitude of 200 ft. to 250 ft., except where a slight
eminence near the centre rises to 300 ft. The other part
is a narrow tongue of land stretching out to the E.; it
lies on Corallian Beds and has an altitude of 200 ft. to
300 ft. The W. area is drained by the R. Lydden and the
Caundle Brook, the latter forming the N. boundary;
the tip of the E. tongue drains into the R. Divelish.
The parish probably contains three original settlements:
Lydlinch, Stock Gaylard and Plumber. The western
square was divided between the first two while Plumber
occupied the eastern tongue. Stock Gaylard, in the
N.W. corner of the area, continued to be a separate
parish until the 19th century; its territory extended over
the S. part of the area although separated from the
village by ground belonging to Lydlinch. (fn. 1) Today
Stock Gaylard village is represented only by its church
(2) and manor house (5). Lydlinch village consists of
the parish church (1) and about twenty houses in the
N.E. quarter of the western square. Plumber is a single
farm (6). Stock Gaylard and Plumber are both named
in Domesday Book, but Lydlinch is not, although it
was almost certainly in existence. Lydlinch and Stock
Gaylard both had open fields, but there is no evidence
of them at Plumber.
Secondary settlements such as Hydes, Stroud Farm,
Ramsbury (which is probably Berry Farm), Blackrow
and Holebrook Green led, by the 14th century at the
latest, to the formation of enclosures beyond the open
fields. (fn. 2) Enclosure of the waste and consequent formation of new farms continued in the post-mediaeval
period; for instance the late 16th-century Haydon Farm
(9) is likely to have come into existence in consequence
of the enclosure of part of Haydon Common, and the
date of Little Rodmore Farm (20) confirms the implication of the geometrical field layout, that the S.W.
corner of the parish was enclosed in the 18th century.
Ridge Farm (18), also with geometrical fields, reflects
later 18th-century enclosure in the S. part of the parish.
The strung-out hamlet of Kingstag in the S.W. corner
of the parish is probably another late 18th-century
development. The monuments noted there are not
earlier than the 19th century, but buildings are shown
on the O.S. map of 1811, and it must be presumed that
several existing late 19th-century cottages replace others
of somewhat earlier date.
Enclosure of the common lands continued into the
middle of the 19th century (fn. 3) , and even today some 80
acres of Lydlinch Common remain unenclosed.
The principal monuments are the parish church and
Stock Gaylard House. The parish is notable for the large
number of 17th-century farmhouses to survive.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Thomas À Becket
stands on the W. side of Lydlinch village. Its walls are
of rubble with ashlar dressings; the roofs are covered
with Welsh slates, except in the chancel which has stone
slates and the tower which is leaded. The Chancel and
Nave appear to be of 15th-century origin but with much
restoration and alteration; the West Tower is of the early
15th century; the North Aisle and South Porch are of the
16th century. In the first half of the 19th century the
nave walls were heightened, the chancel arch was
restored, a new N. arcade was inserted and a new low-pitched nave roof was provided; the North Vestry was
probably added at this period. The chancel was re-roofed
A passage in Hutchins (2nd ed. IV, 62), describing the
church as it was before restoration, mentions two round-headed arches; these might have been of the 12th century
but they have now gone and the font is the only remaining evidence for a building of that period.
Lydlinch, the Parish Church of St. Thomas à Becket
Architectural Description—The walls of the Chancel (20½ ft.
by 16¼ ft.) rise from chamfered plinths. The gabled E. wall has
a restored 15th-century window of three ogee-headed trefoil
lights below vertical tracery; the two-centred head has a
moulded label with square stops. In the N. wall are two square-headed 15th-century windows, each of two ogee-headed
cinquefoil lights; between the windows is a 19th-century doorway to the vestry with a moulded four-centred head and continuous jambs. The S. wall has two windows uniform with those
of the N. wall and between them is a S. doorway with a
moulded four-centred head and continuous jambs, original but
largely restored. The chancel arch is segmental-pointed and of
two orders, the outer with a hollow-chamfer, the inner with an
ogee moulding; these mouldings are continuous on the responds
but the inner order is interrupted at the springing by shaped
brackets of the late 19th century on which rests a modern rood-beam. A projection from the W. wall of the Vestry probably
represents a former rood-loft vice turret.
The Nave (33½ ft. by 22½ ft.) has, to the N., an early 19th-century two-bay arcade with boldly chamfered four-centred
arches, continuous chamfered responds and an octagonal centre
pier. At the S.E. corner is a two-stage buttress, apparently
modern. W. of the buttress a short length of the S. wall is
thicker than elsewhere, the thickness terminating at a weathered
capping some 3 ft. below the eaves; presumably this is a vestige
of the nave wall as it was before being rebuilt and heightened
early in the 19th century. In the thick part of the wall is a
single-light window with a cinquefoil ogee head and blind
spandrels in a square-headed casement-moulded surround. The
S. doorway is flanked symmetrically by two 19th-century
windows uniform with the E. window of the chancel, but somewhat taller. The doorway is of the late 15th century and has a
moulded four-centred head with continuous jambs.
In the North Aisle (29 ft. by 8½ ft.) the N. wall has a chamfered
plinth and small square-set buttresses of three weathered stages.
Between the buttresses are two square-headed windows, each of
three cinquefoil-headed lights; they appear to be of the late
15th century and are presumably reset. Hutchins describes two-light windows in this position, possibly in error. In the W. wall
is a 16th-century window of two four-centred lights under a
The West Tower (11 ft. square) has a double chamfered plinth
and is divided into three stages by hollow-chamfered and moulded
string-courses. At the top is an embattled parapet with a continuous moulded coping. At each corner is a diagonal buttress
around which the string-courses are continuous. The buttresses
are of four stages, with moulded and weathered offsets about
half way up each of the tower stages. Above the buttresses,
diagonally-set pinnacles mark the four corners of the embattled
parapet and terminate in obelisk-shaped finials. At the centre of
each parapet a smaller pinnacle rises from a gargoyle in the
parapet string-course and ends in a moulded capping at battlement level; above is an obelisk slightly smaller than those at the
corners. The tower arch is two-centred and has two hollow-chamfered orders with continuous responds and square plinths.
In the E. part of the N. side is a projecting vice turret with two
small loop lights, the upper one with radial tracery. The vice
doorway has a chamfered four-centred head with continuous
jambs. The W. doorway has a four-centred hollow-chamfered
and ogee-moulded head with continuous jambs. Above, the
two-centred casement-moulded W. window contains three
trefoil ogee-headed lights with vertical tracery above, and a
moulded label with square stops. In the second stage the E. wall is
divided at about half height by a weathered offset, above which
the wall is set back about 1 ft.; the outline of a former nave roof,
steeper than the present roof, can be traced immediately below the
offset. The vice turret terminates in a weathered stone capping
at about the same level as the E. offset. Internally the vice newel
ends at a roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered capital; the doorway at the top of the vice is square-headed. The W. wall of the
second stage of the tower has a small window with a two-centred
head and continuous jambs. In the third stage, each side has
a two-centred belfry window of two cinquefoil-headed lights
with a blind quatrefoil above; each window has a moulded
label with return stops; on the E. and N. sides the window heads
are partly masked by modern clock-faces. S. of the eastern
clock-face is a small loop.
The South Porch (7½ ft. by 8½ ft.) has an archway with a
moulded four-centred head and continuous jambs ending at
run-out stops. A churchwardens' inscription dated 1753, over the
opening, probably refers to repairs; the archway appears to be
of the 16th century. At the apex of the gable is an 18th-century
finial with a sundial attached to the S. face. Reset low down in
the E. wall is a small 15th-century quatrefoil loop.
The mid 19th-century Roof of the nave is of four bays and
has three tie-beam trusses filled in with trefoil-headed vertical
tracery in wood; the trusses rest on coved and moulded wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: five, by Thomas Purdue; treble recast 1908;
2nd with initials CB, NR, CW, TP and date 1681; 3rd recast 1908;
4th with initials C B, N R, C W, date 1681 and inscription 'Three
bells were caste and hey made fowre They all here hangs now in
this tower'; 5th with initials C B, N R, T P, date 1681 and inscription 'First second fowrth and tennur tells They were the fowre
made of three bells'. Brass: In N. aisle, reset on N. wall, shaped
brass plate inscribed 'Good Sr. for Jesus sake forbear to move the
bodies that rest here. R.B.P. 1767'. Doors: three; S. door with
vertical external planks and horizontal internal planks, with
original wrought-iron studs and strap-hinges and wooden lockcase, 16th century, with 19th-century cover-fillets; door to
tower vice with chamfered ribs terminating in four-centred head,
16th century; at head of tower vice, similar door, square-headed. Font: (Plate 26) comprising square Purbeck marble bowl
with splayed angles and chamfered under-edge, vertical sides of
bowl decorated with round-headed flush panels in grooved outline, bowl rests on large central shaft with four small corner
shafts, all standing on chamfered base; late 12th century. Gallery:
At W. end of nave, supported on wooden uprights shaped as
hollow-chamfered columns with attached shafts; front of gallery
with carved panelling in which the panel-heads are of cast-iron;
19th century. A section of same parapet, perhaps originally from
W. end of N. aisle, now forms dado on N. side of chancel.
Glass: In nave, reset in E. window of S. wall, formerly in
chancel (Hutchins IV, 191), four panels depicting winged angels
with feathered bodies, two headless (Plate 144), 15th century. In
W. window of tower, in tracery lights, five 15th-century fragments. Hatchments: In chancel, on S. wall, (1) wooden lozenge
(Plate 44) with cartouche-of-arms tierced in pale, Brune, Dennis,
Collier quartering Williams, presumably for Charles Brune,
c. 1650, who married Margaret Dennis and Jane Collier. In nave,
on N. wall, (2) lozenge of wood and canvas with arms of Fane
impaling Flint, 19th century; on W. wall, (3) wooden lozenge
with arms probably of Jeffery. Graffiti: On S. doorway, 17th-century scratched initials and dates; on stone seats in porch, 18th
and 19th-century initials and dates.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave, on E. wall,
(1) of Nicholas Romayne, 1702, baroque white marble wall-monument with shield-of-arms of Romayne, flower-swags and
drapery, surmounted by metal crest. In N. aisle, on E. wall, (2)
of John Combe, 1745, grey and white marble wall-monument
with black slate panel and brackets, erected 1746; on N. wall,
(3) of Philip Henville, 1803, white marble tablet with gadrooned
head on black back-plate with arms, by Reeves of Bath; (4) of
Francis William Fane, 1844, tablet by White of Bath. In churchyard, E. of chancel, (5) of John Bugg, 1781, headstone; (6) of
Richard Crocker, 1806, headstone; N. of chancel, (7) of Levi
Bewsey, 1831, headstone; S.E. of chancel, (8) of Elizabeth, 1653,
and of Richard [Tr]ime ?, 1654, table-tomb; S. of chancel, (9)
of Thomas Forward, 1609, table-tomb with Latin inscription;
(10) of Robert Fill, 1640, table-tomb with inscription on fascia
of top slab, further inscription on plinth defaced; S. of S. porch,
(11) of an anonymous lady, a benefactor of the church, table-tomb, probably 18th century. Floor-slabs: In nave, (1) of Nicholas
Fill, 1662, and Ann Fill, 1668, grey Purbeck stone with incised
decoration and inscription; (2) of Joseph and Nicholas Romayn,
both 1668, grey Purbeck stone with incised decoration and
inscription; (3) of Joseph Romayn, 1661, grey Purbeck slab
with incised decoration and inscription. In N. vestry, reset
headstones from churchyard, (4) of John Williams, stone slab
with pointed head and partly defaced inscription; (5) of Samuel
and Thomas Lambert, 1803, 1810, stone slab with shaped head;
(6) of Mary Lambert, 1811, similar slab carved in two oval
panels, with drapery.
Piscina: In chancel, in S. wall, with two-centred head and
cinquefoil cusping, 15th century. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of silver, both with date-marks of 1573 and maker's initials
I P, cover-paten inscribed 1574; another paten without hallmarks inscribed 1717. Pulpit: of oak, now forming three sides of
hexagon, with fretted decoration of cusped arcading below
cornice, stem similarly decorated; early 19th century, originally
free-standing. Royal Arms: In tower, on S. wall, painted wood
lozenge with arms of James II, dated 1686. Screen: In tower arch,
of wood with fielded panels, upper part of door with balustraded
openwork, late 18th century. Sundials: On apex of porch gable,
square stone with iron gnomon, probably 18th century; on
S.W. buttress of tower at top of second stage, stone plate with
Roman numerals, much worn; on S.E. buttress of tower, traces
of similar sundial. Miscellanea: In gable of porch, square stone
inscribed '. . . Romayn [C]hurch [W]ardens, 1753'. Reset in E.
wall of porch, small fragment of 12th-century carved stone. In
vestry, plans of church lands dated 1711 and 1720. In ringing
chamber of tower, painted inscription—
Rules to be observ'd by Ringers.
Put off your Hats, your Belts & Spur's,
And when you ring make no Demurs,
Sound out the Bells well if you can,
(Silence is best for evry Man,)
But if a Bell you overthrow,
Six Pence unto the Clerk you owe.
John Hopps & John Young. Church Wardens 1746.
(2) The Church (of unknown dedication) at Stock
Gaylard (72241298) stands near the N.W. corner of the
parish, in the park of (5), and is no longer associated with
a village. The walls are of squared rubble with ashlar
dressings and the roofs are stone-slated. The building
comprises Chancel, Nave, South Porch and North Vestry;
it was almost completely rebuilt in 1884. Among various
mediaeval features included in the rebuilt church are a
well-preserved 13th-century tomb effigy and a bell that
probably is of about the same date.
The Chancel has, in the S. wall, a restored mediaeval doorway
with a chamfered two-centred head and continuous jambs. To
the W. is a window of one light with a chamfered two-centred
head and trefoil cusping, perhaps old but restored. In the Nave the
N. wall has a reset 16th-century window of two segmental-headed lights in a square-headed casement-moulded surround;
a similar window is reset in the S. wall. The mediaeval S. doorway has a two-centred ovolo-moulded head with recut chamfered jambs and broach stops. At the centre of the gabled W.
wall is a restored square-headed window, perhaps originally of
the 15th century, with two hollow-chamfered lights with four-centred heads below blind spandrels. The South Porch has an
archway with a chamfered two-centred head, probably of the
Fittings—Bells: two, in bell-cote over W. gable; 1st perhaps
13th century with narrow pear-shaped form; 2nd probably 15th
century with Lombardic inscription, AVE GRACIA GABBRALA AVE.
Communion Table: In chancel, with stone slab (6 ft. by 2½ ft. by
5½ ins.), perhaps originally from a table-tomb, roll-moulded and
hollow-chamfered on N., W. and S. edges, E. edge hidden; slab
rests on reset Purbeck marble table-tomb, 1¾ ft. high, with
moulded and chamfered corners, decorated on exposed faces
with retooled, cusped and sub-cusped hollow-chamfered tracery
forming square quatrefoil panels alternating with narrow
cinquefoil-headed panels, each quatrefoil with blank shield at
centre; below, moulded plinth with square quatrefoil panels.
Stone slab, probably 14th century, discovered in church during
restorations; table-tomb, 15th century, brought from Canford
Magna (Dorset Procs., XLVI, 25). Font: Octagonal stone bowl
with vertical sides and hollow-chamfered under-edge, vertical
faces with quatrefoil panels enclosing flowers, hollow-chamfered
under-edge with coarse foliate carving, octagonal panelled stone
pedestal and chamfered base; 15th century. Glass: In S. window
of chancel, roundel depicting Crucifixion (8½ ins. diam.), early
16th century, Flemish; in nave, reset in S. window, two panels
representing St. James and St. John, mid 19th century.
Monuments: In nave, in S. wall, reset in 19th-century cinquefoil-headed recess, (1) recumbent effigy (said to be of Sir Ingelramus
de Walys) in mail armour (Plate 14), with plain heater-shaped
shield hanging from left shoulder, legs crossed and right hand
resting on pommel of sword, spurred feet on couched lion;
Ham Hill stone, second half of 13th century. On S. wall, W. of
S. doorway, marble tablets: (2) of Rev. John Yeatman, 1819;
(3) of Emma Yeatman, 1842; (4) of Rev. Harry Yeatman, 1796;
(5) of members of Lewys family, 1749, tablet with arms; (6) of
Theophila Burland, 1802, tablet with arms, by T. King, Bath;
(7) of John Farr, 1773, and his wife Mary, 1783; (8) of James,
1811, and Bridget Wolcott, 1835; (9) of Louisa Moilliet, 1844,
white marble monument by Osmond of Sarum. In vestry, (10)
of Anna [(Freeke) Stevens, 17]20, painted wooden panel with
mitred surround, painted scroll-work and shield-of-arms, now
indecipherable. Externally, on N. wall of chancel, (11) of Richard
Stevens, rector, 1728, stone cartouche with scrolled surround.
Painting: In vestry, oak panel 4 ft. high by 1½ ft. wide representing apostle, perhaps St. John, probably part of rood-screen,
early 16th century. Piscina: In chancel, in E. wall, with chamfered
two-centred head and corbelled bowl, perhaps mediaeval. Plate:
includes silver cup with hallmark of 1732, maker's initials I.W.
and inscription 'Deo et Ecclesiae de Stock Gaylard', and matching silver flagon with hallmark of 1750 and similar maker's mark,
inscribed 'The gift of Mrs. Braithwaite'; also silver alms-dish
with hallmark of 1791, maker's initials R.S., dedicatory inscription of Berkeley Burland and arms of Burland impaling Lewys;
also pewter alms-dish, perhaps mid 18th century. Miscellanea:
Refixed on modern S. door, oak box lock, perhaps early 17th
(3) Mission Room (72531123), 1 m. S. of (2), is of one storey,
with walls of coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, and with
a thatched roof; it was built probably in 1836. In the W.
front the entrance doorway has a moulded and hollow-chamfered round head and continuous jambs; to the S. is a
square-headed window of two round-headed lights with mouldings as on the doorway; to the N. are two windows uniform
with the first. An iron strip in the threshold is dated 1836.
Internally there is a single room with a raised platform at the S.
end. A lean-to kitchen has been added on the E.
(4) Twofords Bridge (75071375), ½ m. N.E. of the
parish church, carries the main road from Sherborne to
Blandford across the R. Lydden and appears to be of
the 18th century. It is of coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings and has two segmental arches. The central pier
has semicircular cut-waters with rounded tops. The
parapets have rounded ashlar copings and there is an
ashlar plat-band at road level. The causeway to the E.
was raised on three land arches in 1825 (Agreement of
25th August 1825, D.C.R.O.).
(5) Stock Gaylard House (72231330), 1¼ m. S.W.
of Lydlinch church and some 30 yds. N. of (2), is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble, in
most cases rendered externally, and the roofs are stoneslated. The house appears to date from early in the 18th
century. Towards the end of the same century the
principal rooms were remodelled and the house was
enlarged westwards, probably by John Berkeley
Burland whose wife Theophila (Farr) inherited the
estate in 1773. The original W. walls are to some extent
indicated by old plinths, now seen indoors. Further
additions are of the 19th century.
The E. front is symmetrical, with a pedimented centre
pavilion of three bays and two flanking bays on each side. The
windows are sashed and have moulded stone architraves; the
central doorway has stone pilasters and a pediment; at the eaves
is a moulded stone cornice. The N. front is of five bays, in general
with sashed windows as on the E. In the two eastern bays a
three-light sashed window of c. 1800 takes the place of the
original ground-floor windows. In the two western bays the
ground-floor windows have casements with moulded stone
surrounds, mullions and transoms of the late 18th century; the
attic has been developed into a third storey by raising the old
cornice and substituting low-pitched slates for the former stoneslates. The S. front is of five bays, with sashed windows somewhat higher than those on the E.; the three eastern bays are
more closely spaced than those to the W. and a straight joint in
the stone plinth indicates the original extent of the range. The
W. wall of the S. range has late 18th-century casement windows
with moulded stone surrounds, as at the western end of the N.
On the W. of the principal building and perhaps originally
isolated, the late 18th-century kitchen range is single-storied
with an attic and has walls of rubble and of ashlar; it is roofed
with stone-slates; the windows are casements, with stone
mullions and transoms as before described.
Inside, the entrance hall has a fireplace surround with a
frieze of foliate swags, and mutules below the mantelshelf; above
is a portrait medallion of John Berkeley Burland. The drawing
room was redecorated late in the 18th century, presumably by
Burland, and the ceiling level was raised at the expense of the
chambers above; the fireplace surround is of wood with cartonpierre enrichments depicting wreathed musical instruments and
other emblems; the door-case has an entablature with inverted
swags and paterae. In the dining room the sideboard recess is
flanked by classical columns. The stairs have open strings,
scrolled spandrels, mahogany newel posts in the form of
slender Doric columns, and moulded mahogany handrails. The
bedrooms over the heightened drawing room are approached
by flights of steps and have deep coved ceilings rising into the
Stock Gaylard House
In the garden to the W. of the house is a circular Pigeon Cote
with rubble walls, and a tiled roof partly hidden by a parapet. The cote appears to have been remodelled as a summer-house in the 19th century, with the re-use of earlier elements
from elsewhere. To the S. are an upper and a lower doorway
and small windows flanking the lower doorway; all these openings have segmental-pointed heads and are of the 19th century;
the lower doorway has a brick head while the other openings
have heads and jambs of moulded ashlar. Over the upper doorway is a lozenge shaped stone panel carved with the arms of
Lewys (Plate 48). Small windows similar to those already described open to E. and W. in the upper storey. On the N. side is
a ground-floor window of two lights with two-centred heads
and continuous hollow-chamfered jambs; in the upper storey
a single-light window is blocked by a clock which is probably
of the late 18th or early 19th century. A cast-lead rainwater head
has the shield of Lewys and the date 1675. A scrolled wrought-iron weather-vane caps the conical roof.
The Stables, to the W., are of one storey with rendered walls
and slated roofs; they are of the late 18th or early 19th century.
(6) Plumber Manor (77181179), 2 m. S.E. of (1) and
at the E. extremity of the parish, is of two storeys with
attics and is built partly of rubble and partly of brick,
with ashlar dressings. The roofs are slated. Although
extensively remodelled, the house incorporates a considerable part of the 17th and 18th-century mansion
illustrated by Hutchins (IV, facing 189).
The S. range has a S. front of coursed rubble with a chamfered
plinth and a coved eaves cornice. All openings are modern
replicas in the 17th-century style and probably replace those
depicted by Hutchins in the right hand part of his engraving.
The E. wall of the wing is of rubble below and of ashlar above
the first floor. In the upper storey, to the N., is a square-headed
two-light window with chamfered and hollow-chamfered
jambs and mullions. The N. elevation of the S. range is of
English-bonded brickwork with a chamfered plinth of rubble
and quoins of ashlar. On the ground floor are two two-light
windows with restored stone jambs and heads; the first-floor
openings are modern. Near the W. end of the N. elevation, at
right-angles and thus facing E., is a gabled 17th-century stone
bay with an attic window of two square-headed lights and the
remains of a moulded label; below, the bay is masked by modern
additions. The roof of the S. range is modern but the E.
chimney-stack, of brick, in two separate parts united at the top
by an arch, is as depicted by Hutchins and presumably is of the
The large W. range seen in Hutchins's engraving has been
demolished. The W. end of the S. range repeats the plinth and
cornice of the S. front and is probably a modern rebuilding.
N. of this, the W. front is set at an angle for a short stretch and
this too is modern. Reset in this part of the wall is a chamfered
four-centred 17th-century door head, now spanning a window.
Further N. the masonry appears to be old, although repointed
and pierced by modern openings; it is probably the E. wall of
the demolished W. range, reused inside-out; in the upper storey
is a blocked stone window of one light, probably reset. At the
N. end of the W. front the old masonry returns and is incorporated in the S. front of a modern N. range; in it is a reset
doorway with a chamfered square head and jambs; beside the
doorway is an old pump with a cast-lead head bearing the letter
B and four rosettes. Internally, the house has been entirely
rebuilt and an 18th-century wooden staircase has been brought
To the S., a large block of Farm Buildings of squared and coursed
rubble is perhaps of the late 18th or early 19th century; the
roofs are modern. The walled inner Garden depicted in Hutchins's
engraving lies to the N. of the house but all the other garden
walls and pavilions depicted have gone. Some 75 yds. S. of the
house, a small late 18th or early 19th-century Bridge spans the R.
Divelish with three round-headed brick arches with ashlar
(7) Lydlinch Old Rectory (74351330), 150 yds. S.E. of the
parish church, is of two storeys with rendered walls and slated
roofs; it is of the mid 19th century. To the N. an L-shaped range
of outbuildings and a barn have rubble walls with slated roofs
and are probably of the 18th century. At the N. end of the barn
is a two-storied cottage with rubble walls and a tiled roof; it also
is of the 18th century.
(8) Stock Gaylard Old Rectory (72071240), 650 yds. S.W.
of (2), is two-storied with rubble walls, partly rendered, and
with tiled roofs. The main part of the house is of the early or
mid 19th century; it has a three-bay S.E. front with sashed
windows and a central doorway. The lower rear wing probably
dates from the 18th century; in its original form it may have
(9) Haydon Farm (76301159), house, has an L-shaped plan
and is of two storeys with rubble walls, in part rendered, and
with tiled roofs; it dates from the late 16th century. All windows
are modern, but the S.W. doorway has a moulded stone architrave with a square head, above which is a moulded hood
supported on scrolled stone brackets. On the N.E. front a
square-headed doorway, nearly opposite the first, has a heavy
moulded oak frame and a door made of vertical and horizontal
planks fastened with iron studs. Inside, the parlour in the projecting N.E. wing has a four-panel ceiling with richly moulded
cross-beams and wall-plates. The original fireplace in the N.E.
wall is blocked up; beside it is a newel staircase to the first floor.
The S.W. wall of the adjacent passage is of plank-and-muntin
construction, as are both sides of the through-passage which
connects the N.E. and S.W. doorways; in the through-passage
the muntins have moulded edges. The room to the S.E. of the
through-passage has a ceiling of sixteen square panels formed
by the intersection of six elaborately moulded beams, three each
way, and corresponding wall-plates. The S.E. room, separated
from the middle room by another plank-and-muntin partition,
has two unmoulded ceiling beams and an open fireplace. Other
plank-and-muntin partitions occur on the first floor.
Except as otherwise noted the following monuments
are 17th-century farmhouses of two storeys, with rubble
walls, thatched roofs and casement windows.
(10) Manor Farm (74331324), house, 130 yds. S.E. of the
parish church, is an early 18th-century farmhouse with walls
of coursed rubble, brick chimneystacks and stone-slated roofs.
A small two-storied extension to the W. is of brick with a tiled
roof. The main part of the house has a symmetrical N. front
of three bays (Plate 58). The central doorway is sheltered by a
small gabled porch with an arched entry; on either side is a
casement window of three square-headed lights with chamfered
and hollow-chamfered stone jambs and heads, and hollow-chamfered labels with return stops. Corresponding with these
openings, on the first floor, are three similar two-light windows.
All these windows are leaded and in each light the top row of
panes is arcaded. The S. elevation is rendered and the casement
windows are modern.
(11) Coombe Farm (74351350), house, 200 yds. N.E. of the
parish church, has roofs which appear formerly to have been
thatched although they now are covered with asbestos tiles.
The house dates from the 17th century and is of one build
except for the E. wing, which appears to be a little later than the
main range. The casement windows are of wood and are nearly
all modern; however, the E. elevation has, on the ground floor
near the N. end, a window of one light with an oak frame with
pegged joints, perhaps original, and a similar two-light window
on the first floor. To the S. of the projecting E. wing the E.
elevation has an original doorway with a square-headed chamfered
oak surround, and a door of nail-studded planks hung on wrought-iron strap hinges with triple poppy-head finials. On the first
floor in this part of the E. elevation a stretch of disused wall-plate indicates a former roof level.
Inside, the original ground plan of the house is only partly
preserved. The central stairs and chimney-stack are probably
insertions, and a plank-and-muntin partition that originally
traversed the house to the S. of the W. doorway has been
partly reset. In the N. room the open fireplace has been modified;
to the E. of the chimney breast is an original spiral staircase with
solid wooden treads. The ceiling has moulded wall-plates and
a moulded cross-beam supporting heavy joists of square crosssection. The S. wall of this room is a plank-and-muntin partition
in which the muntins are beaded on the N. and ogee-moulded
on the S.; the doorway through the partition has an ogee head
and a nail-studded plank door. The central room has a stop-chamfered beam and exposed ceiling joists; the fireplace has a
chamfered bressummer, one chamfered jamb and one moulded
jamb, both of wood but mounted on stone plinths. On the W.
side of the fireplace the entrance passage is closed with a nail-studded plank door. To the E., the doorway into the E. wing
has an ogee-headed surround set in a length of reset plank-and-muntin partition. The S. room has a stop-chamfered ceiling
beam and, in the S. wall, an open fireplace with a chamfered
bressummer; to the W. is an oven. The N. side of this room
retains part of an original plank-and-muntin partition, and
mortices for the continuation of the same partition are seen in
the transverse beam. Associated with the inserted stairs is an
open partition composed of two heights of turned oak balusters,
presumably reset. The E. wing has a stop-chamfered ceiling
beam and wall-plates. On the first floor, the N. and middle
rooms have stone fireplace surrounds with four-centred heads
and continuous jambs, that of the N. room is moulded and that
of the middle room is chamfered. There are various lengths of
plank-and-muntin partition on the first floor, and several doorways have nail-studded plank doors.
(12) Rodmore Farm (72491208), house, nearly 1½ m. S.W. of
the parish church, is of the 17th century but with a modern
slated roof. The plan of the original house is L-shaped, with the
re-entrant angle to the S.E. The W. front is of three bays and
has, to the N., a stone window of three square-headed lights;
at the centre is a similar but slightly lower two-light window
and to the S. is another, now blocked; the latter has a hollow-chamfered label with return stops. On the first floor, the N. bay
has a four-light window, the middle bay has a two-light window
and the S. bay is blank. Although the pitched roof of the W.
range stops at a gabled N. wall with a brick chimney-stack at the
apex, the W. front continues beyond the line of this gable to
form a single-storied N. extension with a lean-to roof against
the N. gable; the masonry of the extension is continuous with
that of the W. front. In the attic storey of the extension is a
blocked square-headed single-light window with a chamfered
and hollow-chamfered stone surround. On the E. front, the
lean-to N. extension has a two-light stone window on the
ground floor and another in the attic; the former retains part of
a moulded label. The E. gable of the E. wing has, at the apex, a
cylindrical stone chimney-stack with a moulded square capping
(cf. Glanville's Wooton (6)). Internal inspection was not
(13) Blackrow Farm (72731197), house, 1¼ m. S.W. of the
parish church, has an L-shaped plan with the main range facing
N.W., and a S.E. wing at the back; it appears to be of the late
17th or early 18th century. The N.W. front has four bays; the
two to N.E. have, in each storey, uniform stone windows
of three square-headed lights with chamfered and hollow-chamfered surrounds; the ground-floor windows have hollow-chamfered labels, those above are without labels. The third
bay of the N.W. front contains the doorway, sheltered by a
modern porch; above it on the first floor is an oval bull's-eye
window with a moulded ashlar surround. The fourth bay is
uniform with the first two. Inside, few original features remain.
Some rooms have chamfered ceiling beams and there are some
plank-and-muntin partitions, notably between the N. and
central rooms, where the muntins have beaded edges. One
fireplace has a head with a raised centre.
(14) Holebrook Green Farm (74721196), house, nearly 1 m. S.
of the parish church, is a mid 17th-century farmhouse with an
L-shaped plan. Originally it was of one storey with attics in a
thatched roof, but the rubble walls have been heightened in
brickwork to provide an upper storey and a new roof of
corrugated iron has been substituted. The S. front, of four bays,
retains one original stone window of three lights with chamfered
and hollow-chamfered surrounds, and a hollow-chamfered
label with return stops; the other openings are modern. Inside,
a central through-passage has, on one side, a plank-and-muntin
partition in which an ogee-headed doorway leads to the E. room.
Here the ceiling rests on two chamfered beams and the open
fireplace has a chamfered bressummer with a raised centre. In
the W. room, chamfered wall-plates and intersecting beams form
a panelled ceiling, and the fireplace has another chamfered
(15) Stroud Farm (72871357), house, nearly 1 m. W. of the
church, is a late 17th-century farmhouse with an L-plan in
which the S. wing is two-storied and the W. wing is one storied
with an attic; to the S. is a two-storied late 18th-century extension. The original part of the house has recently been re-roofed.
Internally there are no noteworthy features; the ceiling beams
are rough-hewn and all old fireplace openings have been blocked
(16) Hydes Farm (73241234), cottage, nearly 1 m. S.W. of the
church, is of one storey with attics. The farmhouse evolved in
three stages: at the centre is a small 17th-century rubble cottage
of one storey with an attic; in the 18th century the cottage was
extended to the S. in brickwork; to the N. is another addition,
perhaps a little later, of light timber framework with brick
nogging. N.E. of the cottage are large farm buildings, substantially built in rubble.
The following houses are of the 18th century and,
except as otherwise noted, are of two storeys with
rubble walls and casement windows.
(17) Blackmore Farm (74381369), house, 400 yds. N.E. of the
parish church, has walls of rubble and of brick, partly rendered,
and tiled roofs. The windows are modern wooden casements.
The oldest part of the house faces S. and is of four bays. The
E. bay has a three-light ground-floor window and a two-light
first-floor window. Next is the front doorway with a moulded
timber frame and a tiled hood on wooden brackets; over it on
the first floor is a round bull's-eye window. The third and fourth
bays are uniform with the first. The E. gable wall is of rubble
and there is a blocked window on the first floor. To the rear,
in line with the E. gable, projects a two-storied N. wing, of
rubble on the ground floor and of brick above. At the W. end
of the S. front a two-storied addition extends the range for one
more bay and then turns S. in an L-shaped plan; this wing
contains stables and lofts. Inside the house, the W. room of the
original range is lined with 18th-century fielded panelling in
two heights with moulded skirting, dado rail and cornice. The
stairs, opposite the front doorway, are of oak, with close strings,
turned newels and balusters, and moulded handrails. The ground-floor room in the W. extension has a chamfered beam and an
open fireplace with a cambered and chamfered bressummer.
(18) Ridge Farm (72971075), house, 1¾ m. S.W. of the parish
church, is of two storeys with dormer-windowed attics. The
walls are of rubble in the lower storey and of cob above; the
roofs are thatched. The W. front, of three bays, has a central
doorway flanked symmetrically by original four-light casement
windows above which, on the first floor, are three uniform
three-light windows; the jambs, mullions and heads are of oak,
and the casements are of wrought-iron with leaded glazing.
Internally, some ceilings have chamfered beams; there is an
open fireplace, now blocked.
(19) Berry Farm (73751149), house, 1¼ m. S. of the parish
church, has walls of rendered rubble and tiled roofs. The plan
is oblong, with a lean-to addition along the whole length of the
rear N. side. Inside, are chamfered beams and large fireplaces,
(20) Little Rodmore Farm (72061113), house, nearly 2 m. S.W.
of the parish church, is of early 18th-century origin and formerly
was of one storey with a dormer-windowed attic; it had rubble
walls and a thatched roof. In recent years the attic has been
removed, the lower storey has been re-roofed with asbestos and
the walls have been incorporated in a range of farm buildings.
(21) The Three Boars' Heads Inn (74591373), 600 yds. N.E. of
the parish church, has brick walls, in part rendered, and a tiled
roof. The symmetrical three-bay S. front has sashed windows
and a central doorway. It is probably of the late 18th century.
(22) Cottage (74481368), ¼ m. N.E. of the parish church, is of
one storey with a dormer-windowed attic; some walls are of
rendered brick and others are of timber-framing with cob
infilling; the roof is thatched. The leaded casement windows
have wooden mullions and heads. Inside, there is a plank-and-muntin partition with beaded muntins, and some chamfered
(23) Cottage (74321332), 80 yds. S.E. of the church, has a
tiled roof and appears to have been much restored. Inside, the
S. room has an open fireplace with a moulded timber bressummer
with a raised centre; on the N. side of the room is a chamfered
plank-and-muntin partition. Certain older fittings have recently
been brought from elsewhere.
Early 19th-century buildings in the parish include the following:
House, 330 yds. N. of the church, is of two storeys with rendered
walls and low-pitched slated roofs; it has a symmetrical threebay S. elevation with sashed windows and a central doorway
with a metal hood on trellised iron uprights. Cottages, two,
220 yds. S.E. of the church, are two-storied, with rubble and
brick walls and slated roofs, the E. cottage perhaps being of the
18th century. Cottages, three, at Kingstag (72491095), (72521095)
and (72521101), are two-storied with walls of brick and cob, and
with thatched roofs.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(24) Settlement Remains (723130), formerly part of
the village of Stock Gaylard, lie immediately E. of (5).
The village is probably the 'Stoches', belonging to
William of Eu in 1086 (D.B. Vol. I, f. 82a), which had
a recorded population of 11. The church was not taxed
in 1291 (Hutchins III, 690). By 1304 only two people
are listed as belonging to the manor (Cal. I.P.M., Vol. 4,
144), and only three are listed in the 1327 and 1333
Subsidy Rolls; thereafter there is no record of population.
The remains, covering about 2 acres, consist of a roughly
rectangular area bounded to N., E. and S. by a low bank or
scarp 1 ft. to 2 ft. high, and by the garden of Stock Gaylard
House on the W. The interior is disturbed by later drainage
channels but there are remains of closes bounded by low scarps,
and at least two well-defined building platforms.
(25) Cultivation Remains. In the mid 14th century a three
field system was in operation at Lydlinch (Dorset I.P.M., Vol. I
(1916), 438); the fields appear to have been gradually enclosed
over a long period of time and a small fragment still remained
in the present century (S. & D.N. & Q., XXIII (1939–42), 62).
Traces of ridge-and-furrow of these fields can be seen on air
photographs (R.A.F. CPE/UK 1974: 1168, 2183–4) in a number
of places around the village (e.g. 741124, 744123 and 753133);
they consist of gently curving furlongs underlying existing field
Nothing is known of the date of enclosure of the open fields
of Stock Gaylard but it had taken place before the 18th century,
when the park at Stock Gaylard House was laid out. Ridge-andfurrow of these fields remains in the park (e.g. at 721132) and
further traces can be seen on air photographs; the ridges are
6 yds. to 8 yds. wide and are arranged in butting furlongs.
Ridge-and-furrow within old enclosures beyond the former
open fields remains on the ground or can be seen on air photographs in a number of places; for example N. of Hallow Hill
Plantation in an area enclosed from Lydlinch Common (732135),
also N. of Little Rodmore Farm (721111) and S.W. of Haydon
Farm (762115). These remains all lie within the existing fields
and have ridges 7 yds. to 9 yds. wide and headlands 10 yds. wide.