3 BUCKHORN WESTON (7524)
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 72 NE, ST 72 SE, ST 72 SW)
Buckhorn Weston, with an area of 1,705 acres, lies
in the extreme W. of the area described in this volume.
The N.E. third of the parish is on the Corallian Limestone escarpment, at altitudes of 300 ft. to 400 ft. above
sea-level. The rest of the land is Oxford Clay, almost
flat, between 190 ft. and 230 ft. above sea-level; this
area is drained by the R. Cale and its tributary the Filley
Brook, forming the parish boundaries on the W. and S.
The village stands at the foot of the escarpment. In
Domesday times Westone was of fair size (V.C.H.,
Dorset iii, 141), with a recorded population of 26, but
little is known of its subsequent history. An isolated
farmhouse (3) in the S.W. appears to stand in an area of
former open fields; it existed in 1641, showing that
enclosure had taken place before that date (Hutchins IV,
(1) The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist,
near the centre of the village, has walls of squared rubble
with ashlar dressings, and tiled roofs (Plate 33). The
Chancel and Nave are of 14th-century origin, but were
extensively restored and altered in the 19th century.
The N. arcade of the nave is of 15th-century origin, as
also is the South Porch. The West Tower was taken
down and rebuilt in 1861; the North Aisle was enlarged
and rebuilt in 1870.
The fittings include a 14th-century recumbent effigy,
a mediaeval silver paten, and a communion cup of 1562.
Architectural Description—The Chancel was extensively rebuilt in the 19th century, but the N. wall is original and contains
a late 14th-century window of two trefoil ogee-headed lights
with quatrefoil tracery in a two-centred head; the rear-arch is
two-centred. The S. wall has, reset, two restored windows
similar to that on the N. and, between them, a doorway with
a chamfered segmental-pointed head and continuous jambs, perhaps original. The chancel arch, of one chamfered order and of
14th-century origin, was partly rebuilt in the 19th century with
re-use of original material; cutting-away of some of the lower
voussoirs indicates the position of a former rood-loft. Above
the chancel arch, on the E. gable of the nave, is a mediaeval apex
finial with leaf enrichment.
Buckhorn Weston, the Parish Church of St John
In the Nave, the N. arcade has piers and responds with attached
shafts alternating with hollow chamfers, and moulded capitals
and polygonal bases. The W. pier is of the 19th century; that
on the E., and both responds, are of the 15th century, the W.
respond having been moved to its present position in 1870 when
the arcade was extended from two to three bays (plan in Sarum
Dioc. Regy.); the capitals, however, and the two-centred
arches with ogee mouldings and hollow-chamfers are wholly of
the 19th century. At the E. end of the S. wall is a 14th-century
two-stage buttress with ogee weathering. The S. doorway has
a three-centred head with a broad recessed chamfer, and continuous jambs; it is of 14th-century origin, but rebuilt and
perhaps heightened. The two S. windows are of the 19th
The North Aisle is largely of 1870, but at the E. end, on the S.,
are three steps and part of the doorway of the 15th-century
rood-loft vice. A three-light window in the eastern part of the
N. wall has trefoil-headed lights and a moulded label; it is of
the late 16th century and was transferred in 1870 from the
former N. wall.
The West Tower, of 1861, is of two stages, with three-stage
buttresses in the lower stage, an embattled parapet, and angle
pinnacles with crocketed finials.
The South Porch has an archway with a four-centred head, with
ovolo and hollow-chamfered mouldings continuous on the
jambs; above the arch is a weathered and hollow-chamfered
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st modern; 2nd by William Knight,
inscribed 'WK, BF 1727'; 3rd dated 1845; 4th by John
Wallis, inscribed 'Praise the Lord IW 1602'; 5th with black-letter inscription 'In multus annis risoent campana iohannis
baptiste' (sic), 15th-century; 6th by William Knight, inscribed
'The gift of George Pitt of Shroton Esq. 1727, WK, BF'.
Book: attached to oak lectern (q.v.) by iron chain, Reliquiae
Sacrae Carolinae, incomplete, leather-bound, with brass clasps
and mounts, brass roundel on cover inscribed 'This book given
by Steven Thos 1690, John Sampson Rector, set up 1696,
Christr Thomas, Thos Davidg churchwardens. Beata Benefactoris Memoria'. Chest: of cast iron, for registers, 1813, on
oak stand made up with carved 17th-century members. Font:
of stone, octagonal, with quatrefoil panel and central boss on
each face, below, spaced leaf-bosses, moulded octagonal stem,
and base with shaped stops, 15th-century. Image: see Niche.
Lectern: (Plate 13) of oak, with turned stem on shaped cross
foot, shaped cross-piece at top and two back-to-back desks with
beaded edges, probably 1696 (see Book); roughly incised on
desk, 'IE 1701'.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel, in N.
wall, (1) recess with two-centred, ovolo-moulded, hollow-chamfered and cusped head, containing recumbent effigy of man
in late 14th-century dress (Plate 15) with short jupon with tippet
and hood, tight house, belt with purse; hair long, hands together in prayer, feet resting on unidentifiable beast; head on
tasselled pillow with angel supporter on N., S. angel gone; late
14th century. Above the foregoing, (2) of Samuel Clark,
rector, 1761, and Ann Clark, 1764, marble wall monument with
enriched border and pediment, with pelican-in-piety as finial,
flanked by urns with flame finials (Plate 17). In churchyard,
8 paces E. of chancel, (3) table-tomb of John Davidge, 166—,
with heavily moulded top slab and oval panels in sides. Floor-slabs: In chancel, (1) of John Samp [so]n, rector, 1715, slate slab
with foliate border; (2) of [Joseph Bannister, 1731]; (3) of
Samuel Clark, 1761.
Niche: In gable of S. porch, with polygonal base, plain sides,
canopy with cusped arcading, pinnacles and crocketed finials,
probably late 15th century. Within niche, worn figure said
to represent St. John the Baptist, with oblong pillow behind
head, probably 15th century. Paintings: six, on panels,
formerly comprising front of W. gallery (Hutchins IV, 117),
now reset in W. tower, two depicting landscapes with angels
blowing trumpets, one with Nativity, three with saintly figures,
paint badly deteriorated; 18th century.
Piscina: reset in chancel, round stone basin with cusped outlet,
probably 14th century. Plate: includes silver cup (Plate 24)
with hallmark of 1562 and maker's mark, letter 'a' at centre of
sun-burst; silver paten of c. 1510 (Plate 24), cusped bowl with
IHS in black-letter, cusps with leaf decoration, diameter 5 ins.;
maker's mark a circle divided into four quarters, each quarter with
a pellet; also 17th-century pewter flagon and 18th-century brass
alms-dish, the latter perhaps part of a warming-pan. Seating:
Small bench with turned legs and beaded stretchers, early 18th
century. Sundial: reset on S. wall of tower, square stone plate
with arabic numerals and inscription ANNO DO 1599.
(2) Hope Farm (75192463), house, of two storeys
with attics, has walls of rubble and coursed rubble with
some brickwork, and is roofed with tiles and stoneslates; it is of late 16th-century origin with early 18th-century alterations.
The plan is a variant of class J, but L-shaped, having an original
wing on the N. In the S. front the three western bays are
symmetrically arranged, with casement windows of three
square-headed lights flanking the doorway, corresponding
windows in the upper storey, and with a two-light window over
the doorway. The ground-floor windows have stone mullions
and moulded stone surrounds under brick relieving arches and
are probably of the early 18th century; a similar window occurs
in the gabled N. wall of the N. wing. Inside, the central room
of the S. range has deeply chamfered wall-plates and ceiling
beams, intersecting at carved bosses enriched with shields bearing
the monograms 'W', 'RC' and 'ST'. In elevation the E. bay is
slightly lower than the rest of the S. range. Although formerly
used for storage, this bay has now been made into a separate
dwelling. There appears to be no doorway from the E. room
to the rest of the range and it may have been a separate dwelling
(3) Pelsham Farm (74512355), house, is two-storeyed and
has walls of ashlar and of rubble, and slate-covered roofs. The
plan is L-shaped and the principal range, on the N., is of the late
17th century; the S. wing is perhaps of the first half of the same
century. The N. front is symmetrical and of five bays, with a
central doorway and uniform casement windows, each of two
square-headed lights with moulded architraves; the windows
of the lower storey have plain aprons rising above offsets in
the moulded plinth. A plat-band marks the level of the first
floor. Inside, the N. range has a class-T plan, with the earlier S.
range constituting a service wing. The roof has original collar-beam trusses. At the S. end of the S. range is a 19th-century
Unless otherwise described the following buildings
are of the second half of the 18th century; they are two-storeyed, with rubble walls and with tiled or slated
(4) Caggypole Farm (75292353), house, is L-shaped in plan.
The S. range has a symmetrical S. front of three bays, with a
doorway at the centre, sashed windows on each side of it, and
casement windows in the upper storey.
(5) Court Farm (75682479), house, is of two dates: the
original range on the N.E. is of the 18th century; added to it is
an ashlar-fronted 19th-century block with a S.W. façade of three
bays, with a central doorway and with large sashed windows in
(6) Hill Farm (75882482), house, is of the late 18th century.
(7) Newhouse Farm (76912524), house, is L-shaped in plan and
has walls of coursed rubble with ashlar quoins. The S. front is
of two bays with a central doorway.
(8) House (75632463) is of the early 19th century; the walls
are partly of brick and partly rendered. In the symmetrical
S.W. front the central doorway, with a porch with wooden
Roman-Doric columns, is flanked by sashed windows; three
similar windows occur in the upper storey. Adjacent on the W.
is a former Smithy, probably of the late 18th century.
(9) Inn (75652462), comprises buildings of two dates. The
main range is of the 19th century and has a rendered N.W. front
of three bays, with a central doorway under a Roman-Doric
porch, flanked by three-sided bay windows, and with sashed
windows in the upper storey; the extremities of this façade are
marked by pilasters. Adjacent, on the N.E., is an 18th-century
range, originally a stable or coach-house, but now incorporated
in the dwelling; the rubble walls retain traces of former coachhouse doorways.
(10) House (75542463), of two storeys with attics, with ashlar
and rubble walls and with a tile-covered roof, is of the early 19th
century. The N. front is symmetrical and of three bays, with
a central doorway and with square-headed sashed windows.
Minor buildings of the late 18th and early 19th century, with
rubble walls and generally with thatched, tiled or slated roofs,
are dispersed in the parish, as follows: Cottage (76612648);
Cottage (76542620), now two tenements; Cottages (76542615),
two adjacent, that on the E. being the earlier, now combined as
one dwelling; Cottage (76542611); Cottage (76512613);
Cottages (75892554), two adjacent; Cottage (76312540), with a
symmetrical S. front of two bays with a central doorway;
Cottage (76442540); Cottages (76962470), pair; Cottage
(76292436); House (75342467); Cottages (75332469), pair;
Cottage (75302470), adjacent to the foregoing.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(11) Cultivation Remains. Little is known of the enclosure
of the open fields in the parish. Pelsham Farm (3), which
appears to lie within the area of the open fields, was in existence
in 1641 (Hutchins IV, 116) and some enclosure, if not all, presumably had been effected by that date. Ridge-and-furrow of
the open fields, arranged in interlocking furlongs of curved and
reversed-S type, exist all over the S. and E. of the parish; in
places it is associated with flat strips, slightly lyncheted (R.A.F.
CPE/UK 1924: 2236 and 4235–7).