13 IWERNE MINSTER (8614)
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 81 SE, ST 81 NE, ST 81 NW)
The parish, covering 2,865 acres, occupies a broad
strip of land astride the Chalk escarpment. From the
Fontmell Brook, which flows through the parish near
the N.W. corner, the land rises gently eastwards across
Lower Greensand, Gault and Upper Greensand to an
altitude of 225 ft. before falling to the headwaters of
the R. Iwerne. Further E. two large dry valleys cut
deeply into the escarpment, which here is 300 ft. high,
rising to more than 600 ft. above sea-level. Beyond
the escarpment the land slopes gently down to a wooded
area, part of Cranborne Chase. The parish formerly
included the modern parishes of Handley, Hinton St.
Mary, Margaret Marsh and East Orchard, all of which
were parochial chapelries of Iwerne Minster.
There were two early settlements, Iwerne and Preston,
both on the R. Iwerne; a third settlement, Hulle, may
also have existed (Dorset Procs., 69 (1947), 45–50).
Pegg's Farm on the Fontmell Brook, in existence early
in the 14th century, is probably a secondary settlement.
Euneminstre, an old possession of Shaftesbury, was
already a large settlement at the time of the Domesday
survey, being assessed for 18 hides and having 16
ploughs (V.C.H., Dorset, iii, 82). The name suggests
that it was an old minster served by a community of
Iwerne Minster, the Parish Church of St. Mary
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 49) has
walls of flint and rubble with ashlar dressings, of banded
flint and ashlar, and of ashlar; the roofs are stone-slated
and tiled. The Nave, North Aisle and North Transept
are of the mid 12th century; they appear to be parts
of an important church, cruciform in its original plan
and probably at first without a S. aisle, but with a
transept opposite to that which in part survives on the
N. The remains of a 12th-century structure in the
angle between the nave and the former S. transept probably represent a former South Tower. Late in the 12th
century the South Aisle was added on the W. of the
presumed S. tower and early in the 13th century the
N. transept was rebuilt. The present Chancel is of the
14th century, as are the West Tower, the S. and W.
walls of the S. aisle, and the South Porch. In the 15th
century the chancel arch was widened, and a spire was
added to the W. tower. In the 16th century the nave
was heightened and provided with clearstorey windows.
In 1871 the church was restored by T. H. Wyatt and
the N. Vestry was added.
Architectural Description—The E. window of the Chancel has
a chamfered two-centred head and a two-centred rear-arch, both
of the 14th century; the five lights and the curvilinear tracery
are of the 19th century. In the N. wall is a 14th-century window
of two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil light above; the
rear-arch has been rebuilt. Further W. in the N. wall, beyond
the 19th-century vestry doorway, a squint from the N. transept
is of uncertain date, perhaps modern. The opening to the N.
transept (Plate 6) has two two-centred arches, each of two
chamfered orders, the inner orders springing from moulded
corbels with male and female heads, the outer orders continuous;
at the centre the arches rest on an octagonal shaft with a moulded
capital and a chamfered square base with broach stops. The
arches are of the 14th century and replace an earlier opening, of
which there remain the W. respond and the chamfered base of
the E. respond, the latter now reused in the central pier. The S.
side of the chancel is largely of 1889, but the two S. windows,
uniform with that on the N., are restored and reset 14th-century openings. The chancel arch is of 14th-century origin,
but altered and widened, probably in the 15th century; it is
segmental-pointed, with a wave-moulded inner order springing
from restored corbels, and with a continuous outer order chamfered on the W. side and hollow-chamfered on the E. In the
gable above the chancel roof a 14th-century window similar to
that on the N. of the chancel gives light to the nave.
The North Transept has a 19th-century E. window set high
enough to clear the vestry roof; it is of three lights, with curvilinear tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall are two
round-headed lights with wide splays and round-headed rear
arches; they are probably of 12th-century origin, reset in the
13th century. The rear-arches spring from a central column
with a Purbeck marble shaft, a stone base with hold-water
mouldings, and a stone capital with stiff-leaf ornament (Plate
9). Internally, the N. and E. walls have a moulded string-course. The transept is entered from the N. aisle through a
round-headed 12th-century archway of two plain orders springing from moulded imposts on chamfered responds.
The Nave (Plate 50) has a mid 12th-century N. arcade of three
bays, with round arches of two plain orders, and piers and responds with stout cylindrical shafts, scalloped capitals (Plate 9),
and moulded bases on high chamfered plinths. Above, the 16th-century clearstorey has two single-light windows with hollow-chamfered four-centred heads, wide splays and chamfered segmental rear-arches. In the S. arcade, the E. bay has an archway
of 14th-century origin, with a two-centred head of two chamfered orders, but with the western arc distorted in the widening
of the archway, probably in the 15th century. The inner order is
continuous on the E. respond while on the W. respond it
springs from a shaped corbel; the outer order dies into the E.
respond, but continues as a chamfer on the western pier. The
two western bays of the S. arcade are of the late 12th century and
have two-centred arches, each of two stop-chamfered orders,
springing from chamfered E. and W. responds with attached
shafts and moulded capitals, and from a central pier with a
cylindrical shaft, a plain bell-shaped capital and a moulded base on
an octagonal plinth. Above, the clearstorey has two single-light
windows with elliptical heads and segmental rear-arches. A
third window has been blocked.
The North Aisle has single-stage buttresses with weathered
heads and chamfered plinths. In the eastern bay is a late 14th-century window with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and
a two-centred rear-arch. The middle bay has a late 15th-century window of five trefoil-headed lights under a chamfered
square head. The western bay has a window with details
similar to that of the eastern bay, but of one light. In the W.
wall is a small 12th-century window with wide splays and a
round rear-arch; the square head of the light is modern.
In the eastern part of the South Aisle the S. wall of the presumed South Tower was refaced in the 19th century and the
window, of three trefoiled ogee-headed lights with curvilinear
tracery in a two-centred head, appears to be of that period; on
the other hand the lower part of the S. wall and the entire S.W.
buttress, with broad chamfered plinths, are 12th-century work.
On the W., the opening to the western part of the aisle is
spanned by a half-arch, restored in the 19th century; its apex
rests on the spandrel of the eastern arch of the S. arcade. Further
W., the S. doorway, with a double roll-moulded two-centred
head and continuous jambs, is of the early 14th century; the
rear-arch is flat, with shouldered jambs. Adjacent on the W. is
a square-headed 15th-century window of three trefoil-headed
lights. The S.W. corner of the aisle has a diagonal buttress of
two weathered stages.
The West Tower is of two stages defined by a weathered
string-course; at the top is a corbel-table and an embattled
parapet; at the base is a low chamfered plinth. The N.W. and
S.W. corners have angle buttresses of four weathered stages;
corresponding square-set buttresses rise above the W. walls of
the N. and S. aisles. There is no vice. The tower arch is of three
chamfered orders with continuous responds ending at broach
stops above splayed plinths. In the lower stage the N. and S.
walls have original windows of one trefoil-headed light with
chamfered surrounds. The W. doorway has a moulded two-centred head with continuous jambs, and a moulded label with
returned stops. In the upper part of the lower stage the E. wall
of the tower has a doorway to a modern organ-loft; in the W.
wall is a single-light window with a trefoil head and a chamfered
surround. The upper stage has, in each side, a belfry window
of two trefoil-headed lights with a central quatrefoil in a chamfered two-centred head. The octagonal spire has two bands of
stonework with cusped panelling; the arrises have rollmouldings; at the apex is a moulded capstone and an iron
weather-vane. Rebuilding of the spire in the 19th century has
reduced the height and somewhat altered the profile.
The South Porch has a two-centred archway with a chamfered
inner order dying into the responds, and a continuous chamfer
on the outer order and jambs. Above is a plain parapet with
a moulded string-course and coping. Inside are plain stone
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd by Abraham Bilbie, inscribed 'Mr
Thomas Harvey & Mr John Applin wardens, 1768. My treble
voice makes hearts reoice Abram Bilbie founder'; 3rd by John
Wallis, inscribed 'Feare The Lorde, IW, 1609'; 4th inscribed in
Lombardic letters 'huic ecclesie dedit mercia sit bona sub iesv
nomina sona', early 14th century; 5th by John Wallis, inscribed 'Give laud to God, IW, 1618'; 6th by John Wallis,
inscribed 'O be joyful in the Lord, IW, 1618'; 1st modern.
Bracket: inserted in capital of eastern pier in N. nave arcade,
with moulded edges and sunk panel on underside, probably
mediaeval. Chests: of oak, one with beaded panel and lid,
18th century; another with moulded panels, decorated stiles,
drawer below, 18th century. Clock: in belfry, c. 1750 with
modern variable chiming mechanism. Communion table: of oak,
with turned legs, beaded stretchers and moulded rails, 17th
century. Font: octagonal, with slightly tapering sides, each
with a quatrefoil, plain octagonal stem and hollow-chamfered
base, 15th century. Glass: in S. window of chancel, by
Willament, 1847. Graffito: on stone bench in porch, 'W.D.
1773'. Hatchments: three; on canvas, in wooden frames, with
shields-of-arms of Bower quartering and impaling other coats,
Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In S. aisle, on W.
wall, of Robert Fry, 1684, his wife Mary (Cox) and others of
their family; slate inscription panel in foliate stone surround
above apron with drapery, skull, wreath and cherub-heads, also
with scrolled cheek-pieces, cornice, and finial with cartouche
containing arms of Fry (Plate 16). Floor-slabs: In nave, near
S.E. corner, (1) of [John Ridout, 1764] and his wife Henrietta,
1730. In S. aisle, (2) of [Katherine, wife of] Francis Melmo [uth],
1718, and of Mrs. Bower, 1721; (3) of Thomas Bower, 1728,
with worn shield-of-arms; (4) of John Bower, 1711; (5) of (undecipherable), with arms of Bower; (6) of R. . . Freke, 1655,
stone slab with bold lettering.
Niche: In porch, over S. doorway, with roll-moulded and
hollow-chamfered two-centred head and continuous jambs,
14th century. Plate: includes Elizabethan silver cup by the
'Gillingham' silversmith (Dorset III, liii), with churchwardens'
inscription probably of 1782, and cover-paten, probably 18th
century; also set of silver cup, stand-paten and alms-dish, with
date-marks of 1832 and donor's inscriptions of Rev. Christopher
Nevill; also pewter dish and flagon, late 17th century.
Pulpit: of oak, with five sides, panelled in two heights (Plate
13), with fluted corner stiles, rails with guilloche and brattished
enrichment, and panels with reticulate enrichment, mid 17th
century; cornice and base modern. Recess: In N. aisle, in
middle bay of N. wall, with chamfered four-centred head, late
15th century, restored. Royal Arms: of George III, on canvas
in moulded wood frame (Plate 27). Sundial: on S.W. buttress
of W. tower, scratch-dial, much worn, perhaps 16th century.
Wall: bounding churchyard on S. and W., of banded flint and
ashlar with weathered, roll-moulded coping, and in part with
weathered ashlar buttresses; mediaeval. Miscellanea: In
vestry, fragment of shaft capital, late 12th century; glazed slip-tiles, 14th and 15th century.
(2) Baptist Chapel (86641432), of one storey with rendered
walls and tiled roofs, stands nearly 200 yds. S.W. of the church.
According to an inscription it was built in 1810 and enlarged in
1860. The main part of the building has a round-headed doorway in the gabled E. wall and, above, a round-headed sashed
window. The S. elevation has three windows similar to those
described. At the corners of the building and between the
windows are plain pilasters with moulded capitals; similar
pilasters occur on the N. wall, but there are no windows. On
the W. is an extension with lower walls than the main hall, but
with pilasters and windows as described. Inside, a W. gallery
with a panelled wooden front rests on two plain iron columns.
(3) West Lodge (89411573), on the N. boundary
of the parish, is partly of one storey and partly of two,
with cellars, and has brick walls, partly rendered, and
slated and tiled roofs. The site is that of one of the
ancient lodges of Cranborne Chase (W. Shipp, Chronicle
of Cranborne, (Blandford 1841), 270), and a map of the
Chase dated 1677, copying a map of 1618, shows a
house in this position. Nothing seen above ground
today, however, is likely to be of so early a date,
although the cellars may perhaps be of the 17th century.
The present building is of the first half of the 18th
century, with early 19th-century single-storeyed wings
on the S.W. and N.E., the latter incorporating part of
a late 18th-century kitchen building.
The S.E. front (Plate 44) is symmetrical and of eleven bays,
comprising a five-bay central pavilion of two storeys, flanked
by single-storeyed three-bay wings. The three central bays of
the façade are emphasised by a portico with stone three-quarter
columns of the Tuscan order, supporting a timber entablature
and pediment. Between the shafts the lower storey has three
large sashed windows and the upper storey has three circular
windows; a lunette window opens in the pediment. The
flanking bays of the central pavilion have doorways with pedimented Tuscan surrounds in the lower storey, and sashed
windows above. The extremities of the centre pavilion are
defined by wooden pilasters, beyond which each single-storeyed
wing has three large sashed windows. The last bay of the N.E.
wing includes part of the two-storeyed kitchen wing, probably
of the late 18th century and perhaps originally a separate building.
The N.W. front of the centre pavilion is of Flemish-bonded
brickwork, with wooden cornices and pediment. At the centre
is a wooden porch with a pedimental hood supported on Ionic
columns and pilasters. The ground and first-floor windows of
the three central bays are mullioned and transomed and of two
lights, with wooden frames and 18th-century wrought iron
casements with leaded glazing. At right-angles to the N.W.
façade, the S.W. elevation of the projecting N.W. wing is of
two storeys, with mullioned and transomed windows as before;
presumably this is part of an original service building, but there
have been many alterations and the original plan cannot be
Inside, the house was remodelled in the second half of the
19th century and few original features remain. Until quite
recently the large central room was higher than at present, the
circular windows opening into the upper part of the room, but
a floor has now been inserted. The S.W. staircase has cast-iron
balusters and newel-posts. In a corridor of the service wing,
a plinth projecting from the N.E. wall of the central block
shows that this wall was originally external.
The cellars under the N.W. part of the central pavilion have
rubble walls and brick vaults.
Stables, see Sutton Waldron (5).
(4) Pegg's Mill Bridge (84891529), crossing the Fontmell
Brook, has a single segmental arch of ashlar and parapets of
coursed rubble with rounded ashlar capping. It is of the early
(5) Pegg's Farm (851155), in the N.W. of the parish, comprises a farmhouse, a cottage, a water-mill and a barn. The
House, two-storeyed with header-bonded brick walls and with
tiled roofs with stone-slate verges, is of the 18th century; in the
Salisbury Journal, 18 July 1774, it is advertised as new-built. The
S. front is symmetrical and of three bays, with a central doorway
and with wooden casement windows of two and three lights.
The gabled E. and W. end walls culminate in brick chimneystacks.
The Cottage, adjoining the house on the N., is two-storeyed,
with Flemish-bonded brick walls and with a tiled roof; it is
of 18th-century date, but later than the house.
The Mill, adjoining the house on the W., has ashlar walls and
tiled roofs and dates from c. 1800. The mill-wheel is now used
to generate electricity.
The Barn, some 60 yds. E. of the house, has walls of rubble
and of brick, and a thatched roof. The rubble occurs at the base
of the walls in the N. part of the building and is probably of the
17th century; the brickwork represents 18th-century rebuilding.
At intervals the walls are strengthened with brick buttresses.
The roof rests on crude tie-beam trusses, strutted in some places,
with rough hammer-beams below.
(6) Preston House (86411396), of two storeys with an attic,
has walls of ashlar and of rubble, and a tiled roof. It dates from
early in the 17th century, but was considerably altered late in the
19th century. In plan the house was originally L-shaped. The
ashlar-faced S. front is symmetrical and of five bays, with a
central doorway flanked by Tuscan columns supporting an open
pedimental hood, and with uniform casement windows of two
lights in both storeys of the lateral bays; above the doorway is
a bull's-eye window. A weathered label over each casement
window appears to be original, but the openings have been
altered and enlarged. The other elevations are of rubble and
contain some original casement windows with hollow-chamfered ashlar surrounds and weathered labels. An original
doorway, now converted into a window, occurs in the N. wall
of a small lean-to projection on the W.; it has a chamfered
four-centred head and continuous jambs with moulded stops.
Inside, the two ground-floor rooms of the S. range have 18th-century fireplace surrounds of carved wood. A first-floor room
has an original stone fireplace surround with a moulded four-centred head and continuous jambs with run-out stops.
(7) 'The Chantry' (86791441), house, 50 yds. S.W.
of (1), is of three storeys with attics and has walls of
banded flint and ashlar, with chamfered plinths and
ashlar dressings, and stone-slated roofs. The house
dates from the first half of the 17th century.
The S. front is of three bays, that in the centre projecting and
gabled (Plate 52). The central doorway has a moulded square-headed surround with a label. The windows are of two and of
three square-headed casement lights with hollow-chamfered
stone jambs and mullions, and moulded labels with returned
stops. The first-floor window in the W. bay, however, has been
enlarged and has sliding sashes, probably of the 18th century.
The central brick chimney-stack with two diagonally set flues
appears to be original; the similar chimney-stack on the E.
gable is modern, but it replaces a plain square stack which
probably was added in the 18th century. The gabled E.
elevation has a blocked doorway at first-floor level and a small
attic window in the brick gable. To the N. the ground floor is
below ground level, and the lower windows in the two-storeyed elevation are those of the first-floor rooms; the
elevation is of two bays, with stone windows of four square-headed lights. The W. elevation is masked by the adjoining
Inside, the centre bay of the S. front contains an original oak
staircase with closed strings, turned and enriched newel posts,
turned balusters and moulded handrails. The two first-floor
rooms (see plan) have 17th-century stone fireplace surrounds,
with chamfered four-centred heads and continuous jambs with
shaped stops; that on the E., served by an 18th-century chimney,
is presumably reset. In the original plan, it is probable that the
W. room on the first floor was the hall and that on the E. was
the parlour; the lower storey, lit only from the S., presumably
contained the service rooms.
(8) Bay House, adjacent to the foregoing on the W., is of two
storeys, with brick walls and tiled roofs; the greater part of the
building is of the late 19th century, but it incorporates early
features and evidently replaces an earlier house. Projecting at
the E. end of the N. front is a stone porch in which the plinth is
continuous with that of the N. wall of 'The Chantry'; over
the porch is a chamber with timber-framed walls. Projecting
northwards at the W. end of the same front is a two-storeyed
wing with walls of flint and rubble in the lower storey, and of
timber-framework above; the upper storey is jettied and gabled
on the N., the gable having cusped bargeboards, probably of
(9) Barn (86751440), with rubble walls and a tiled roof, dates
probably from the late 16th or early 17th century. The long
N.W. side has ashlar buttresses of two stages with weathered
(10) Brookman's Farm (86981434), house, is single-storeyed
with attics and has walls of rubble with brick dressings, and
thatched roofs; it is of 18th-century origin with 19th-century
additions. The S. range is symmetrical and of two bays with a
central doorway. There is a large brick chimneybreast with
stepped and weathered offsets on the gabled N. wall of the N.
A Barn, some 70 yds. N.W. of the house, with brick walls and
formerly with a thatched roof, is of 18th-century origin. A
projecting bay with a doorway occurs on the E. side.
(11) The Vicarage (86931438), of two storeys with attics,
has walls of ashlar and of coursed rubble, and tiled roofs. It was
built in 1836. The windows have stone mullions, transoms and
labels, and the porch has a chamfered round-headed doorway.
(12) Barn (86711462), at Churchill's Farm, with walls of
ashlar, coursed rubble and clunch, and with stone-slated roofs,
is of the 17th century. The walls have ashlar buttresses generally of two and of three stages, with chamfered plinths and
weathered offsets. The S. end has two-stage diagonal corner
buttresses and, at the centre of the gable, a square-set buttress
of five stages.
(13) Cottage (86571451), of one storey with attics, has walls
of brick, rubble and cob, and a thatched roof; it is of 17th-century origin. Inside, two stop-chamfered beams are exposed,
and an open fireplace has a chamfered and cambered oak
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(14) Cultivation Remains. The last fragments of the former
open fields of Iwerne Minster, then divided into two fields
known as Town and Poly Fields, were enclosed in 1848 (Enclosure Map and Award, D.C.R.O.); they lay respectively
N.E., and S. of the village. The strip lynchets on both sides of
Brookman's Valley (around 876142) lay within old enclosures.
Strip lynchets on the N. side of Preston Hill (868136) are the
remains of cultivation associated with the mediaeval settlement
Roman and Prehistoric
(15) Iron Age Settlement and Roman Villa
(856137), near Park House Farm Buildings, were
excavated in 1897 by General Pitt-Rivers. The site is
on Upper Greensand, about 230 ft. above sea-level, on
a gentle rise in the low-lying ground at the headwaters of the R. Iwerne; from S. and E. it is over-looked by the higher ground of the escarpment.
The Iron Age settlement is represented by numerous pits.
From it came Durotrigian silver coins, a La Tène I bronze
brooch, a bronze belt-link, and a bone weaving comb. In early
Roman times the settlement was modified by the digging of
ditches and sub-rectangular pits; finds of this period included
coins from Vespasian to Commodus, brooches, and samian
pottery of the 1st and 2nd centuries. No house-site was found,
but there were suggestions that the centre of occupation lay
N.W. of the excavated area.
During the 3rd century a building, nearly rectangular in plan,
112 ft. by 39 ft., with flint footings 3 ft. wide, occupied the
western part of the site. The N.E. end of the building was
divided into three rooms, 8 ft. in length and respectively 7 ft.,
13 ft. and 8 ft. in width. The entrance was probably on the
N.E., where post-holes for a porch were found. The rest of the
building, with a pit or post-hole at the centre measuring 8 ft.
by 2½ ft. by 6 ft. deep, was partly flint-paved; it has been suggested that it was an aisled barn, although no holes or bases for
aisle-posts were noted. Coins ranging in date from Gordian I
to Tacitus were found in or near the building.
Iwerne Minster. (15) Iron Age Settlement and Roman Villa
Lastly, c. A.D. 300, a substantial building was erected on an
oblong site levelled into the rising ground on the E., some 25 ft.
away from the building described above; it measures 126 ft. by
18 ft. and the walls, of flint rubble, 2½ ft. to 3½ ft. in thickness,
remain standing in places to a height of 6 ft. (Plate 48). The
main range is divided into four compartments, and a fifth room,
16 ft. square, projects from the N.W. side. A corridor or out-building lay along the S.E. side. The compartment at the N.E.
end, 15 ft. long, may have been a porch. The adjacent room,
64 ft. long, was probably a cattle-shed since a stone-filled drain
2 ft. wide extended down the centre of the range from a point
28 ft. from the S.W. end of the room; a quern was found in
situ near the middle of the western part of the room. Next on
the S.W. is a room 27 ft. long, roughly paved, and communicating by axial doorways 2 ft. wide with the rooms to N.E. and
S.W. The S.W. room is paved with small slabs of Kimmeridge
shale and its walls, except on the N.E., are lined with plaster,
painted with rectangular panels above a broad dado-line. The
fifth room, on the N.W., has doubled walls, the inner of which,
only 4 ft. high, probably carried a floor; this is likely to have
been a granary. Coins ranging from Maximian to Decentius
and New Forest ware and coarse pottery, found during the
excavations, indicate occupation of the building until c. A.D. 360.
(Arch. J., CIV (1947), 50–62. Finds and models in Farnham
Museum, Dorset. Photographs in D.C.M.)
Monuments (16–20), Round Barrows
All the barrows lie on high ground in the E. of the
parish, four of them composing a group on Iwerne Hill.
A small barrow was destroyed in 1846 during the
ploughing of the high downland between Iwerne Hill
and West Lodge; on its floor was an inverted urn
covered by a quantity of black ash and surrounded by
six cremations in cists cut in the Chalk; its exact
location is not known. (Hutchins III, 555; C.T.D,
Pt. 2, no. 4; Dorset Procs., L (1928), 121; Warne,
MS. album in D.C.M., 209.)
(16) Folly Barrow (88561563), bowl, about 600 ft. above O.D.
on Bareden Down, on a southward-facing slope, lies just below
the crest of the escarpment. It is in a small wood and is thickly
overgrown. Diameter 50 ft., height 5½ ft.; ditch 9 ft. across
and 1 ft. deep.
The Iwerne Hill Group comprises four barrows on the crest of
the escarpment, more than 600 ft. above O.D. All have been
reduced by ploughing; (17) is in arable land, the others are
(17) Bowl (88941490); diam. 70 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(18) Bowl (89061493), 140 yds. E.N.E. of (17); diam. 45 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.
(19) Bowl (89071499), 60 yds. N. of (18); diam. 45 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.
(20) Bowl (89081503), 40 yds. N. of (19); diam. 45 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.