15 LANGTON LONG BLANDFORD (8905)
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 80 NE, ST 90 NW)
Langton Long Blandford is a parish of some 1,200
acres, lying on the N. bank of the R. Stour, adjacent to
Blandford Forum (Dorset III, 16). The land is almost
wholly Chalk, rising from about 100 ft. in the S. to
350 ft. above sea-level in the N. A dry tributary valley
of the Stour forms the N.W. boundary. Until 1933 the
parish included Littleton, now part of Blandford St.
Mary (Dorset III, 40); recent enlargement of Blandford
Forum also has deprived Langton of a small area in the
W. The village, reduced to the parish church and a
few houses, stands on the river terrace of the Stour.
Some 700 yds. to the S.E. the stables and other outbuildings of Langton House stand in the park of the
former mansion, now demolished.
(1) The Parish Church of All Saints, in the E. of
the village, was rebuilt in 1861 to designs by T. H.
Wyatt (Sarum Dioc. Regy.); the former church, built
c. 1740, appears to have incorporated some part of a
mediaeval structure (Hutchins I, 284), but nothing of
this remains today. Some fittings from the two earlier
churches are reset in the present building.
Fittings—Bells: three; treble inscribed 'W. W. TP. Anno
Domini 1674', others modern. Brasses: reset in modern slate
tablet (2¼ ft. by 2¾ ft.), comprising inscription plate, three
figures, two scrolls, and shield-of-arms of Whitewood; presumably from former floor-slab of John Whitewood, his wife
Joan, 1457, and his second wife Alice, 1467 (Plate 14); spaces
left in inscription for date of John's death not filled in. Communion Table: In W. tower, of oak, with turned legs, plain
stretchers and plain top, late 17th century. Credence Table: of
mahogany, with moulded edge, legs with fretted stays, drawer
with brass drop-handles, secular, late 18th century.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel, on N.
wall, (1) of Louisa (Craufurd) Farquharson, 1839, marble tablet
by J. Browne, London. In S. transept, on E. wall, (2) of Anne
(Staines) Farquharson, 1837, marble tablet with shaped and
carved head, by J. Browne; (3) of James Farquharson, 1795,
marble tablet (Plate 38) with sculptured oval panel above, and
shield-of-arms of Farquharson impaling Staines; on W. wall,
(4) of Lieutenant Frederick Thomas Farquharson. 1841, marble
wall-monument with representation of a sword, by W. G.
Nicholl, London; (5) of Anne Farquharson, 1834, oval tablet
with foliate border; (6) of Henrietta Anne (Farquharson)
Grove, 1821, shaped marble tablet with urn finial and, on apron,
shield-of-arms of Grove impaling Farquharson, by Shout,
London. In nave, above N. arcade, (7) of Edward Vivian Keane,
1840, circular tablet with wreath surround, by J. Browne; (8)
of Marion Harte, 1845, oval tablet by Marshall of Blandford;
on S. wall, (9) of Sir William Fraser Bt., 1827, tablet by H.
Wood, Bristol; (10) of Keith Fraser, 1826, round marble tablet
with wreath and crossed-sword enrichment, by G. Mann,
London; (11) of Elizabeth, Lady Fraser, 1834, tablet by H.
Wood; (12) of Sir James Fraser Bt., 1834, wall-monument
with shield-of-arms, by J. Browne. In N. aisle, (13) of William
Crosse, 1815, and others of his family, 1792–1851, wall-monument with urn finial, by Kent of Blandford. In churchyard, ten
paces W. of tower, (14) of Richard Pultney, 1801, and his wife
Elizabeth, 1820, table tomb. Floor-slab: see Brasses.
Plate: includes Elizabethan silver cup and cover-paten,
perhaps by Lawrence Stratford, but maker's mark worn away,
with date-letter of 1568; original cover-paten with modern
repairs and date-letter of 1908; also silver flagon and paten, c.
1850 or later, and silver-plated cup.
Langton House (90240562), built in 1827–33 to the design
of C. R. Cockerell in place of an 18th-century house, was
demolished in 1949. An engraving of the 18th-century house
(Hutchins 1, opp. 284) shows a two-storeyed main range with
six regularly spaced bays, flanked by projecting two-bay wings,
also two-storeyed, but lower than the main range. Between the
two central bays of the six-bay front the engraving shows a
doorway and a columned porch with a Doric pediment; this
porch is now at Langton Farm (8).
(2) Stables (90250562) of Langton House, with walls of
finely jointed ashlar and with slate-covered roofs (Plate 47),
stand some 70 yds. N. of the site of the former house (see above);
they were built in 1832 and comprise an octagonal courtyard
surrounded by two-storeyed ranges. Within the courtyard the
ranges have eaves of exceptionally wide spread; externally the
N.W. range extends to fill the N. and W. corners of the otherwise octagonal plan. The former coach-house, in the W. corner,
has recently been remodelled to make a dwelling-house. The
courtyard is entered at the centre of the S.E. and N.W. ranges
through round-headed archways surmounted by plain pediments. Over the N.W. pediment is a clock turret with a cupola
and a weather-vane, the latter with the date 1832.
(3) Kitchen Wing (90260556) of Langton House, of two
storeys with walls and roofs as in (2), stands immediately N.E.
of the site of the former house; it dates from c. 1827. The threebay S.W. front, originally facing a courtyard at the back of the
main house, has a pedimented centre bay with a round-headed
window in the upper storey.
(4) Brew-House (90320551), of two storeys, with walls and
roofs as in (2), has in the S.E. front an archway surmounted
by a turret with a cupola. The S.W. front is masked by an
arcaded loggia of three bays, with round-headed arches springing from coupled rectangular piers. The building probably is
of c. 1830.
(5) South Lodge (89880592), cottage, of one storey with
rendered walls and slate-covered roof, was built c. 1830. In
the S. front and in the E. and W. sides of the central block
the wide eaves are supported on slender Roman-Doric colonnades.
(6) Lodge (90460526), cottage, of one storey with walls and
roofs as in the foregoing, is probably of c. 1840. The S.W.
front is symmetrical and of three bays, with a round-headed
doorway and with plain sashed windows.
(7) The Rectory (89660587), of two storeys, with rendered
walls and slate-covered roofs, is mainly of the early 19th
century, but it incorporates a small 18th-century range in the
western part. The S.E. front is symmetrical and of three bays,
the centre bay defined by pilasters and a small pediment. At
the centre is a french window; in the lower storey the side
bays have sashed windows, in the upper storey all three bays
have casement windows with glazing-bars arranged to form
narrow marginal panes. The N.W. elevation incorporates
banded rubble and brickwork of 18th-century date. Inside, the
stairs have plain balustrades and an inlaid mahogany handrail.
Reset in an internal wall is a 16th-century stone window of
two lights with four-centred heads; it is perhaps from the
(8) Langton Farm (89590585), house, of two storeys with
attics, has walls of flint, rubble and brick, partly banded and
partly rendered, and tile-covered roofs. In the N.W. range,
now of ten bays, the six bays on the N.E. are of 17th-century
origin; early in the 18th century the range was extended on the
S.W. by another four bays and a S.E. wing was formed at the
S.W. end of the extension. The mid 18th-century stone porch
from Langton House (see above) was reset on the N.E. front,
presumably c. 1827. Recently the main N.E. range has been
rendered and the windows have been provided with modern
casements. Inside, the original range contains some exposed
beams; the 18th-century extension has chamfered beams with
shaped stops resting on lightly chamfered wall-plates. A staircase with slender Tuscan-column balusters and a moulded
handrail occurs in the 18th-century extension.
(9) Scotland Cottages (90840614), pair, of two storeys,
with brick walls with some flint banding near the ground, and
with tiled roofs, are probably of late 18th-century origin.
Small brick buttresses in the lower storey suggest that the external
walls may originally have been those of a barn. A cottage
adjacent on the E. is of c. 1800.
(10) Langbourne House (90500808), of two storeys, has
walls of rubble and brickwork, in part rendered, and tiled roofs.
The W. range is of c. 1840 and has a rendered W. front of three
bays in which a central doorway with a porch with Tuscan
columns is flanked by plain sashed windows; similar windows
occur in the upper storey; the roof is masked by a parapet
above a moulded cornice. To the E. of the 19th-century range,
on the S., extends an earlier range, probably of the 18th century,
with walls partly of rubble and partly of brickwork. Many of
the windows have iron casements with leaded lights, but on
the S. side of the E. range the windows of the upper storey
Roman and Prehistoric
A number of finds indicative of Iron Age and Romano-British settlement are known from the parish, all on the lower
slopes of the Stour valley. Roman pottery including samian
ware, and brooches have been found, principally near 89710597;
bronze brooches and a pin in the B.M. (Durden Collection)
probably came from this site. An inhumation in a cist N. of
Langton House might also be Roman, since samian sherds were
found nearby (Hutchins I, 289–90; Archaeologia, XXIII (1830),
415–6). 'Human remains and British urns' were found in
1840 at 90790544, and at least four silver Durotrigian coins
were found at 90500530 (O.S. records).
Monuments (11–13), Round Barrows
(11) Bowl (91260732), on the parish boundary with Tarrant
Monkton, lies on the crest of a N.–S. Chalk ridge, 360 ft.
above O.D. Diam. 50 ft., ht. 5 ft.
(12) Bowl (91580658), on Little Down, on the crest of a
Chalk ridge, 330 ft. above O.D., was about 45 ft, in diameter,
but now is ploughed out. Probably this is 'Down Wood
Barrow', opened by Cunnington in 1881 to yield three primary
contracted inhumations and three secondary cremations,
but no grave goods (Dorset Procs., XXXVII (1916), 46; Cunnington MS., no. 42).
(13) Bowl (91790613), in Buzbury Plantation, 350 ft. above
O.D., probably is the barrow in which several urns were
found in 1840 (Durden Catalogue, 18). Diam. 30 ft., ht. 3 ft.
Linear Ditches around Buzbury Rings; see Tarrant
Keyneston (18), (19), p. 104.
'Celtic' Fields; see p. 118, Group (70).