26 TARRANT HINTON
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 90 NW, ST 91 SW, ST 91 SE)
Tarrant Hinton, a parish of some 2,300 acres, occupies
the Tarrant valley immediately S. of Gunville (Plate 73).
The land, entirely Chalk, falls from about 400 ft. above
sea-level in the S.W. to about 220 ft. at the Tarrant,
and then rises to a little over 300 ft. before falling once
more to the Crichel Brook, which crosses the narrow
N.E. extremity of the parish.
The open fields, together with some downland, were
finally enclosed in 1827 (Map and Award, D.C.R.O.).
Until 1933 the parish included the mediaeval settlement
of Hyde, now part of Pimperne (p. 52). Hinton
village, the original mediaeval settlement, consists of
farmhouses and cottages, mostly grouped between the
church and the point where the road from Blandford
Forum to Salisbury crosses the Tarrant. The church is
the most noteworthy monument. Notable monuments
outside the village include Pimperne Long Barrow (24)
and two Iron Age settlement sites (18), (19).
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the
N. of the village. The walls are partly of ashlar and
partly of squared Greensand rubble with flint banding
and ashlar dressings; the roofs are lead-covered (Plates
4, 75). The font and some carved stone fragments
reset in the S. wall of the aisle indicate a 12th-century
church; the earliest part of the present building, however, is the 14th-century Nave and its S. arcade, The
Chancel Arch and the West Tower are of the 15th century.
Later in the 15th century the nave roof was raised and a
clearstorey was inserted, the South Aisle was rebuilt,
and the South Porch was built. In the first half of the
16th century the North Chapel was added, together with
an Easter Sepulchre on the N. of the chancel. At an
unknown date, perhaps early in the 19th century, the
easternmost bay of the N. chapel was removed and the
present E. wall was built. In 1874 the church was
re-roofed and the chancel was largely rebuilt under the
direction of Benjamin Ferrey.-The S.doorway is of 1892.
The Easter Sepulchre (Plates 76, 77) is one of the most
important monuments in North Dorset. The initials
of Thomas Weaver, rector 1514–36, are incorporated
in the design. Hutchins (1, 316) assigns it to the year
1515, but gives no authority; stylistically it appears
to be somewhat later, perhaps of c. 1536.
Tarrant Hinton, the Parish Church of St.Mary
Architectural Description—The E. and S. walls of the Chancel
are of 1874 (Sarum Dioc. Regy.). In the N. wall is the arched
recess of the 16th-century Easter Sepulchre (see Fittings). Two
small windows with two-centred heads appear to be of the 19th
century and to take the place of blind panels in the original
design. The recess has a four-centred head with double ogee
mouldings and continuous jambs. Adjacent on the W., the archway to the N. chapel has mouldings uniform with those of the
recess, ending in pyramidal stops. The 15th-century chancel arch
is of two hollow-chamfered orders above responds with attached
shafts and hollow chamfers; the pseudo-14th-century moulded
capitals are probably of 1874. The S. respond is pierced by a small
square-headed squint from the S. aisle.
The N. wall of the Nave has a chamfered and wave-moulded
plinth which continues inside the N. chapel; the square-set
central buttress, of two stages with moulded weathering, is a
15th-century addition. The archway to the N. chapel is uniform
with that on the N. of the chancel, but higher; incorporated with
the W. respond is part of the jamb and head of an original N.
window. Further W., the existing N. window is of two uncusped
pointed lights, with a central tracery light in a two-centred outer
head with a moulded label. On the S. the nave arcade has three
plain two-centred arches with chamfers which continue on the
piers and responds and end in carved stops above chamfered
plinths. Above each arch is a late 15th-century clearstorey
window of two cinquefoil-headed lights, with blind spandrels
externally in a chamfered square-headed surround; the rear-arches are segmental and of two chamfered orders dying into
The 16th-century North Chapel appears originally to have had
an additional bay on the E., removed at an uncertain date when
the present E. wall was built. The N. wall has a chamfered and
wave-moulded plinth, and two-stage buttresses with weathered
and wave-moulded offsets; the eastern buttress is partly of brick.
Although now considerably lower, the present E. bay appears
formerly to have been of equal height with the W. bay of the
chapel. The N. window in the E. bay is of three lights with
uncusped four-centred heads below intersecting tracery in a
shallow four-centred outer head; internally the mullions and
tracery have ogee mouldings; the opening has deep casementmouldings inside and outside, and an external label with square
stops; this window may have been taller originally than now.
In the W. bay of the chapel the N. wall is two-storeyed, each
storey having a low window of three lights with four-centred
heads in a square-headed casement-moulded surround; the upper
storey evidently corresponded with a gallery, now gone, but
attested by blocked holes for the floor beams; the rounded recess
on the W. presumably contained a wooden stair. A plan of 1874
(Sarum Dioc. Regy.) shows that the two bays of the chapel were
at that time separated by a wall, but this is unlikely to have been
an original feature and the former gallery probably overlooked
the eastern bay of the chapel as well as the nave.
The South Aisle has a chamfered and moulded plinth, a
diagonal S.E. buttress of two weathered stages, and a corresponding square-set buttress on the S.W. The roof is masked by an
embattled parapet with a hollow-chamfered string-course and
continuous moulded coping. The E. window is of three cinquefoil-headed lights, with vertical tracery in a two-centred head
under a moulded label with square stops with leaf centres;
mullions, jambs and tracery have hollow-chamfers and ogee
mouldings inside and outside; the rear-arch is chamfered. The
eastern window of the S. wall is similar to that in the E. wall; the
label has head-stops. The two-light western window is square-headed and without tracery; here the label-stops are shield-shaped
The West Tower (Plate 75) has three stages, with a chamfered
and moulded plinth, weathered string-courses between the
stages, and an embattled parapet similar to that of the S. aisle.
In the two lower stages the N.E. and S.E. corners have square-set
three-stage buttresses, and the N.W. and S.W. corners have
diagonal buttresses of four stages; the top stage has corner
pilasters which continue in the parapet and support gargoyles
where they intersect the parapet string-course. The vice turret
has a small single-stage buttress, and a weathered stone roof
below the second stage of the tower. The tower arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer order continuous
and the inner order dying into the responds. Above the tower
arch and below the present nave roof are the remains of the
creasing-course of a low-pitched roof, dating from before the
construction of the clearstorey. The lower and upper doorways
in the stair turret have chamfered two-centred heads and continuous jambs; four plain loops lights the stairs. The W. window is of
three cinquefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head under a moulded label with square stops, and with
a chamfered two-centred rear-arch. The ringing chamber floor
rests on four stop-chamfered beams. In the second stage there is
a square-headed N. window. In the top stage each side of the
belfry has a window of two trefoil-headed lights with a central
quatrefoil in a two-centred head under a moulded label with
The South Porch has plinth and parapet continuous with those
of the S. aisle; the S.E. and S.W. corners have small two-stage
buttresses. The porch archway has a rounded head with a
moulded arris under a moulded label with square stops with
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st with black-letter inscription 'Sunt
mea spes hij tres xpe. maria joh'es', mediaeval; 2nd by Robert
Austen (Dorset Procs., 60 (1938), 119), inscribed 'At thy departure
I shall sound and ring to bring thee into ground' above band of
scroll-work, roses and thistles, and '1640 WI.RH'; 3rd by T.
Mears, 1831. Brackets: two, on responds of archway from chancel
to N. chapel, octagonal, with mouldings corresponding with
those on Easter Sepulchre (see below) and with deeply carved
foliate enrichment on under side; W. bracket retains dowel hole
of supporting shaft, now gone; c. 1536. Communion Rails:
(Plate 21) with moulded and foliated rails shouldered at N. and
S. ends, enriched turned and twisted balusters, and end-posts
carved with cherub heads and flower pendants; made c. 1665 for
Pembroke College Chapel, Cambridge; transferred c. 1880 (see
R.C.H.M., Cambridge City, 153).
The Easter Sepulchre (Plate 76, 77) comprises a recess with a
moulded four-centred head and continuous jambs flanked by
half-columns which carry an entablature. Part of the four-centred head is visible on the N. face of the wall, showing that
the recess was originally an opening through the wall and implying that the N. chapel formerly comprised a third bay on the
E. The spandrels on the S. face of the four-centred head are
embellished with scroll-like ribbons and medallions; the E.
medallion contains three figures, probably the three Marys, one
bearing a vase, the others defaced; the W. medallion contains an
angel bust. The columns have pedestals with cherub heads; the
shafts are fluted in the lower half and in the upper part are
enriched with arabesques; the capitals are composite, with tall
acanthus leaves and reversed volutes, a possible prototype of the
reversed volutes of the 18th-century Blandford architects
(Dorset III, Blandford Forum (45), (47); Oswald, 32–5).
Carved in relief on the frieze of the entablature is the inscription
VENITE ET VIDETE LOCV[M] VBI POSIT[US] ER[AT] D[OMI]N[U]S,
flanked by cherub-head panels and, at each end, by the monograms TW and TT, for Thomas Weaver, alias Trotteswell (see
Pimperne (4)), rector 1514–36. Over the entablature is a recess
with a four-centred head with double ogee mouldings, continuous on the jambs and running out in plain chamfers. The splayed
sides of the recess contain semicircular niches with four-centred
heads with carved spandrels. The rear wall of the recess has three
panels, the two lateral panels now with windows, the central
panel blind. On the wall flanking the recess are two kneeling
angels, in high relief, their knees on small moulded corbels. On
the W. of the sepulchre the archway to the N. chapel has mouldings of the same profile as the upper recess; the brackets (q.v.)
which project from the responds have details corresponding
with those of the entablature above the lower recess.
Font: (Plate 11) of Purbeck marble, with square bowl with
five round-headed sunken panels on each side, on cylindrical
centre shaft and four small corner shafts, and chamfered square
base, 12th century; font-cover of oak, with flat round board and
six scroll-shaped supports to centre post, 17th century. Lectern:
(Plate 13) of wrought-iron and brass, 1909.
Monument and Floor-slabs: Monument: In S. aisle, of Ann King,
1822, marble tablet by Simmonds of Blandford. Floor-slabs: In
nave, at E. end, (1) of Richard Fowler, 1697; (2) of [Mrs.
Niches: In S. aisle, reset at E. end of S. wall, with chamfered
pointed head and continuous jambs, perhaps originally a window,
13th century; in S. porch, reset above doorway, with chamfered
four-centred head, continuous jambs and shaped stops, 15th or
Plate: includes silver cup with assay marks of 1820, paten of
, alms-bowl of 1804, and flagon of 1840. Piscina: in S. aisle,
adjacent to niche, with reused double-chamfered round head,
perhaps from a 12th-century window, and rectangular bowl with
drain, probably 15th century. Pulpit: of oak, hexagonal, with
two heights of fielded panelling, and moulded cornice and base,
18th century. Royal Arms: painted on board in moulded frame,
1802. Seating: in tower, oak bench with plain arm-rests and back,
upright members with knob finials, 17th century. Stoup: in S.
aisle, beside S. doorway, with projecting bowl cut off, in recess
with chamfered two-centred head. Wall: bounding churchyard
on S. and W., of rubble and ashlar, with chamfered plinth,
weathered and roll-moulded coping, and weathered buttress,
15th century. Miscellanea: In S. aisle, on sill of E. window, part
of Purbeck marble slab carved in relief with cross patonce,
perhaps from small 13th-century coffin-slab; reset above S.
doorway, carved fragments of column shaft and of chevron
mouldings, 12th century.
(2) Bridge (93701114), across the Tarrant, with a single brick
arch, and brick parapets with stone coping, has a date stone of
(3) Old Turnpike (94741148), cottage, of one storey, with
rendered walls and a slate-covered roof, is of c. 1840; the N.W.
front has a three-sided bay with casement windows with traceried
cast-iron glazing bars.
(4) The Old Rectory (93621103), of two storeys with attics,
has walls of red brick patterned with blue headers, ashlar
dressings, and tiled roofs. The house was designed by Benjamin
Ferrey in the 'Tudor' style and dates probably from c. 1850. The
S. front (Plate 74) is of three bays, with ground-floor windows
of four mullioned and transomed square-headed lights with iron
casements with geometrical glazing, first-floor windows of three
untransomed lights, and gabled dormer windows of two lights.
A weathered first-floor string-course is turned up, as a label,
above the windows of the lower storey; the first-floor windows
have separate labels. The gabled E. and W. walls of the S. range
have ashlar coping above shaped kneelers, projecting chimneystacks with weathered offsets and, at the apex, coupled diagonally-set brick flues. The main doorway, in the N.E. wing, has a
moulded four-centred head with pierced spandrels in a square-headed surround, and continuous moulded jambs. Inside, the
principal rooms have stone fireplace surrounds with moulded
Reset over an opening in the wall of a courtyard on the N. is
a 16th-century four-centred stone door-head, with ogee and
hollow-chamfered mouldings, and carved spandrels. One
spandrel has a crowned shield-of-arms charged with three
coronets, and scroll-work with lettering EST: the other spandrel
has similar scroll-work with VIRGO entwined in foliage. The
inscription of Thomas Trotteswell/Weaver, recorded by Hutchins
(1, 318), has gone.
(5) Cottage (93441080), of one storey with an attic, with
cob walls and a thatched roof, dates from about the middle of the
18th century and originally had a class-S plan. Early in the 19th
century a two-storeyed bay was added on the N. (Demolished,
(6) 'Crossways' (93831091), house, of two storeys, has walls
partly of brickwork and flint, partly rendered and perhaps of
cob, and a thatched roof. The N. end of the E. range retains two
pairs of crucks and is probably of 16th-century origin. In the
17th century a bay was added on the S., with a large open fireplace, now blocked. The range was extended further to the S.
in the 18th century; at the same time a fireplace was inserted in
the original part of the building, a service wing was built on the
W., and the E. front was remodelled and made nearly symmetrical.
(7) South Farm (93811100), house, of two storeys, with walls
partly of banded brick and flint, partly of brick and partly of
cob, and with tiled roofs, is of the late 18th century. The S.W.
front is symmetrical and of three bays, with segmental-headed
windows of two and of three lights, and with a central doorway
under a hip-roofed porch. The plan is of class T, with a large
(8) Post Office (93761108), of two storeys, with cob walls
and a thatched roof, is of the late 18th century.
(9) Cottage (93731112), single-storeyed with an attic, with
walls of flint and rubble in the lower part and of cob above, and
with a thatched roof, is of 17th-century origin. Inside, the attic
floor rests on a stop-chamfered beam. Extensions on the S.W.
and S.E. are of the 19th century.
(10) House (93691112), formerly a School, of one storey with
attics, has walls of flint and ashlar, and tiled roofs. It was built in
1849 in the 'Tudor' style, and has recently been extended on
(11) Cottage (93641112), of two storeys, with brick, flint
and cob walls, and with a thatched roof, is of the late 18th
century. The plan is of class T.
(12) Cottage (93621112), of one storey with an attic, with
cob walls and a thatched roof, may be of the 18th century,
perhaps incorporating parts of an earlier building.
(13) Cottage (93601113), of one storey with an attic, has cob
walls and a thatched roof; it probably is of the early 18th century,
but has been greatly altered internally. A 17th-century chamfered beam is from elsewhere.
(14) Cottage (93691115), of one storey with an attic, has cob
walls and a thatched roof; it dates from c. 1800 and originally
had a class-S plan.
(15) Cottage (93711112), probably of c. 1830.
(16) New Barn (93631156), about 400 yds. N. of the church,
with walls of weather-boarded studding above high flint and
brick plinths, is of the early 18th century. The roof-trusses have
tie-beams and braced collar-beams and support two purlins on
each side; the roof covering is modern. A Granary adjacent on
the N.W. has timber walls on staddle-stones. A Stable range on
the S.E. of the farmyard has flint and brick walls and a tiled roof
and probably is of the 18th century.
Roman and Prehistoric
(17) Roman Settlement (926119), including a villa, lies
N.W. of Barton Hill Dairy on a site overlooking the Tarrant,
on the S. and E. slopes of a Chalk spur between 300 ft. and 360 ft.
above sea-level. Excavations in 1845 revealed 'extensive remains
of foundations, and walls with stucco and coloured facings,
extending over an area of nearly twenty acres'. On the N. side
of the field, 'at some distance from the spot where the principal
remains of foundations were discovered', two rooms about
5½ ft. square flanked a narrow corridor; their floors were
variously described as paved with red and white tesserae arranged
in parallel rows, or as stuccoed. The walls, of flint and greensand
3 ft. thick, were plastered internally and were painted with
'ribbon-work, arches, foliage etc.' . A well 30 ft. deep contained
the base and part of the shaft of a large column 'of a classic
character and resembling the Ionic'. Finds included flue and
roofing tiles, tesserae, samian and coarse pottery, amphorae,
circular pipes (presumably of earthenware), querns, bronze
brooches, shale rings, and coins of Constantine and Constantius.
Some of these finds, and also fragments of mosaic with guilloche,
angular and curved patterns in red, white and two shades of
grey, are in D.C.M.; other finds are in the B.M. It has been
suggested that the site is Anicetis of the Ravenna Cosmography
(J.B.A.A., 3rd ser. XVII (1954), 77–8).
The two primary accounts of the excavations of 1845, both by
W. Shipp, differ in detail (Hutchins I, 318–19; Brit. Archaeol. Ass.
(Winchester Congress, 1846), 179–82). Two Durotrigian silver
coins in the Pitt-Rivers collection, described as from Tarrant
Gunville, may come from this site (S. Frere, ed., Problems of the
Iron Age in Southern Britain (1960), 240).
Limited test excavations in 1968 and 1969 tended to confirm
the 19th-century accounts, yielding evidence of flint walls,
generally 2 ft. thick, over a wide area. Two plain tesselated
pavements, severely damaged by ploughing, and much decorated wall plaster also came to light. Nearly 50 coins were found,
ranging from Lucius Verus to Valentinian, but chiefly of the
3rd and 4th centuries.
(18) Iron Age and Romano-British Settlement (920110),
S. of Hinton Bushes, now almost entirely levelled by ploughing,
lies between 300 ft. and 380 ft. above sea-level on the gentle S.
and E. slopes of a Chalk ridge. It comprises two oval enclosures
(Plate 79), linked by a ditch and associated with a series of
irregular angular enclosures defined by banks and ditches; it also
is associated with 'Celtic' fields (Group 73) immediately on the
W., which appear to connect the settlement with the neighbouring enclosure, Pimperne (18).
The northern oval, a fragment of which survives in Hinton
Bushes, is 600 ft. by 450 ft. in diameter and some 5 acres in area.
Formerly it was defined on the S. and E. by a low bank between
ditches, and on the N. and W. by a ditch between banks. Slight
hollows have been observed in the interior, but no certain
entrance is identifiable. A ditch runs southwards from the oval
and then curves to link it with the E. side of the southern oval,
some 200 yds. away. The latter, 850 ft. by 500 ft. in diameter, is
8 acres in area and appears to have been entered on the E. It was
formerly defined by a bank between ditches on the S. and E., and
by a bank with an external ditch on the N. and W. Numerous
hollows and irregularities inside the oval indicated occupation.
The site is almost certainly of more than one structural phase;
finds, chiefly from the southern oval, indicate a lengthy period
of occupation. The finds include Iron Age 'A' and 'C' pottery,
samian ware, flanged bowls and New Forest ware, parts of two
stone mortars, part of a rotary quern, a roof tile, iron nails, and
a point, perhaps from a goad. (Sumner, Cranborne Chase, 41–2
and pl. xx; Dorset Procs., 82 (1960), 84.)
A boundary dyke, now levelled by ploughing, extends S.W.
from the southern oval for some 800 yds., curving around the
southern end of Pimperne Long Barrow and extending into
Pimperne parish. It consists of a ditch, formerly flanked on
each side by low banks. (Sumner, Cranborne Chase, 75–6 and
(19) Iron Age and Romano-British Settlement (945126),
on Tarrant Hinton Down in the N. of the parish, lies on the S.E.
slope of a Chalk ridge, between 260 ft. and 340 ft. above sea-level;
it has been levelled by cultivation. Air photographs (Plate 78;
N.M.R., ST 9412/5–7), and finds, indicate that the main area of
occupation is a strip of land, some 500 ft. by 200 ft., adjoining
the parish boundary with Chettle. Immediately S. of this area is
an approximately rectangular enclosure, 550 ft. by 250 ft., from
the N.E. corner of which a narrow, parallel-sided way leads to a
smaller oval enclosure, 320 ft. by 250 ft. It is probable that a third
enclosure adjoins these on the S.E., and lengths of boundary dyke
extend away from the settlement to the S.W. (apparently linking
it with the Roman road), and to the S.E. Pottery from the site is
chiefly of late Iron Age or early Romano-British type, and later
occupation is represented by 3rd and 4th-century flanged bowls
and New Forest ware. (Sumner, Cranborne Chase, 42 and pl. xxi;
Dorset Procs., 82 (1960), 84.)
(20) Enclosure (91651175), at Hinton Bushes, probably of
Iron Age or Romano-British date, lies at 390 ft. above O.D. near
the crest of a spur which slopes E. to the Tarrant valley. Now
levelled by cultivation, the ditch surrounding the enclosure is
visible on air photographs (C.U.A.P., wx 59–61) as a roughly
circular crop-mark, about 400 ft. in diameter and enclosing an
area of 3 acres. On the S., a second ditch runs for a short distance
outside the main ditch, which it joins on the S.W.
(21) Enclosure (925102), on South Tarrant Hinton Down,
probably of Iron Age or Romano-British date, lies at 270 ft.
above O.D. on the S. slope of a Chalk spur. Although ploughed
flat, the enclosure is seen on air photographs (C.U.A.P., xz 22,
25; 58/RAF/3250: 0135–6) as a pear-shaped crop-mark, about
650 ft. by 400 ft., 5 acres in area.
(22) Dyke (96401328–96071285), in the extreme N.E. of the
parish, is now totally flattened by ploughing. It extends from
N.E. to S.W. for some 600 yds. and then turns abruptly and runs
N.W. for 135 yds. to 95971294. The earthwork appears on air
photographs (C.U.A.P., ANC 26, 28) as a soil-mark comprising
twin ditches, with a medial and possibly with flanking banks.
(23) Long Barrow (92270935), at Telegraph Clump, lies
across the parish boundary with Tarrant Launceston and forms
part of the Telegraph Clump barrow group (see below, (27–34)).
The barrow is aligned W.N.W.-E.S.E. along the summit of a
Chalk ridge, at an altitude of 400 ft. The mound, damaged by
a modern brick structure, is 315 ft. long, up to 75 ft. across and
10 ft. high; between it and the irregular and disturbed side
ditches are the remains of a berm.
(24) Pimperne Long Barrow (91751050), one of the finest
surviving burial mounds in Wessex, lies along the boundary with
Pimperne on the summit of a Chalk ridge, at an altitude of 370 ft.
above O.D. Aligned from N.N.W. to S.S.E., the mound is
parallel-sided, 330 ft. long, 65 ft. wide and up to 9 ft. high. On
the E. it is flanked by a berm up to 10 ft. wide and by a ditch
40 ft. across, and up to 4 ft. deep. On the W. side there are traces
of a narrow berm at the N. and S. ends, and of a ditch narrower
and shallower than that on the E. (Sumner, Cranborne Chase
75–6 and pl. xlvi.)
(25) Long Barrow (96451317), near Thickthorn Farm in the
extreme E. of the parish, lies 280 ft. above O.D. on the almost
flat summit of a Chalk ridge. The oval mound, which has been
heavily ploughed, measures 110 ft. by 70 ft. and is 3 ft. high.
It is aligned S.S.E.–N.N.W. There are traces of a ditch, which
seems to have encircled the mound (C.U.A.P., ANC 26, 28).
[Dyke (94851191–95481185) on Tarrant Hinton Down continues
into the adjacent parish. See Dorset V, S.V. Long Crichel.]
'Celtic' Fields, see p. 119, Groups (72–4).
Monuments (26–53), Round Barrows
In addition to five undated mounds (54), some
twenty-eight round barrows occur in the parish, most
of them levelled or damaged by cultivation. A few
were dug into in the 19th century, and among these
are two which cannot be precisely located. One of
them, 'near Pimperne Long Barrow', was small and
contained at the centre an extended, probably intrusive
inhumation with the head to the W.; in a cist in the
Chalk near its feet lay another inhumation, probably
primary (C.T.D., Pt. 2, no. 24). The other unlocated
barrow, 'about ¼ mile E. of Pimperne Long Barrow',
contained an extended inhumation, probably primary,
with 'fragments of a rude urn' at its side, covered by
a cairn of flints. Above the cairn was a pot containing
a hoard of Constantinian coins (C.T.D., Pt. 3, no. 99;
Hutchins I, 318–9).
(26) Barrow (91870906), has been destroyed in the construction of Blandford military camp.
Telegraph Clump Group comprises eight barrows (27–34),
together with Long Barrow (23), all over 360 ft. above O.D.,
on and near the summit of a Chalk ridge. Barrows (29–32) lie
close together in a line immediately W. of (23); the others are
more scattered. It is possible that some of these barrows, together
with neighbouring barrows in Tarrant Launceston, were opened
in the 19th century. W. Shipp opened a barrow 'near the
Telegraph' which contained a human leg-bone beneath a large
cairn (C.T.D., Pt. 2, no. 5). J. H. Austen opened two barrows in
the same area; in one he found a primary cremation in a cist, in
the other he found nothing (Ibid., nos. 25 and 26). In 1840 Austen
opened another barrow 'near Race Course', which contained a
primary crouched interment with a long-necked beaker (Ibid.,
no. 23 and Pl. VII, no. 1).
(27) Bowl (91950935), destroyed since 1939 by the military
(28) Bowl (92010931), damaged by a modern road; diam.
30 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(29) Bowl (92120935), now much disturbed; diam. 20 ft.,
ht. 1 ft.
(30) Bowl (92160937), severely damaged by digging; diam.
about 40 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(31) Bowl (92190936), disturbed and spread; diam. 70 ft.,
ht. 1 ft., with traces of a ditch about 10 ft. wide.
(32) Bowl (92210935), immediately S.E. of (31); diam. 21 ft.
by 15 ft., ht. less than 1 ft., surrounding ditch 3 ft. across.
(33) Bowl (92260945), now much ploughed; diam. 65 ft.,
ht. less than 1 ft.
(34) Bowl (92150950), under arable; diam. 45 ft., ht. less
than 1 ft.
(35) Bowl (91901028), within arable, S.S.E. of (24); diam.
40 ft., ht. 3 ft.
Four barrows (36–39) lie between 360 ft. and 380 ft. above
O.D., on the S.E. slopes of a Chalk ridge at the S. end of Hinton
Bushes; (36–38) are in woodland, (39) has been levelled by
(36) Bowl (91651135); diam. 30 ft., ht. 3 ft.
(37) Bowl (91681132); diam. 60 ft., ht. 3½ ft., with a well-marked ditch 10 ft. across, and an outer bank best preserved on
the W. side.
(38) Bowl (91791129), damaged in the centre; diam. 55 ft.,
ht. 3 ft.
(39) Bowl (91811130); former diam. 45 ft., ht. 3 ft.
Four round barrows on Barton Hill (40–43), now totally
flattened by cultivation, are visible as soil-marks on air photographs (N.M.R. ST 9113/1; V 58/RAF/3250: 0134); they lie at
over 300 ft. above O.D. on the summit of a spur overlooking the
(40) Barrow (92901150); diam. about 45 ft.
(41) Double Barrow (92931150); diam. of each segment about
(42) Barrow (92991152); diam. about 50 ft.
(43) Barrow (93031154); diam. about 55 ft.
(44) Barrow (94341081), now levelled by ploughing, but
visible as a soil-mark on an air photograph (N.M.R. ST 9410/1),
lies at over 250 ft. above O.D. on a gentle W. slope, E. of
Manor Farm; diam. about 140 ft.
(45) Bowl (95571194), adjacent to the boundary with Tarrant
Launceston, lies on a N.E. slope at 240 ft. above O.D.; diam.
22 ft., ht. 1 ft.
Tarrant Hinton Down Group comprises five barrows (46–50),
all now flattened by cultivation. They lie at 260 ft. above O.D.
on the gentle N. slope of Tarrant Hinton Down.
(46) Bowl (94931213); former diam. 48 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
(47) Bowl (94951214); former diam. 55 ft., ht. 2 ft.
(48) Bowl (94971216); former diam. 40 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(49) Bowl (94961216); former diam. 33 ft., ht. 1 ft.
(50) Bowl (94941216); former diam. 21 ft., ht. under 1 ft.
Three barrows lie at about 240 ft. above O.D. on the S.E.
slope of the Chalk ridge of Thickthorn Down. Now levelled by
ploughing, they are visible as soil-marks on air photographs
(C.U.A.P., ANC 26, 28).
(51) Barrow (96131286), immediately S. of Dyke (22);
diameter about 55 ft. A second, smaller barrow appears to
adjoin it on the N.E.
(52) Barrow (96131299); diam. about 48 ft.
(53) Barrow (96151300), immediately adjacent to (52);
diam. about 40 ft.
(54) Mounds (917106). Five very small barrows or mounds,
now levelled by ploughing, formerly lay N.N.W. of (24).
Their position, almost on the parish boundary with Pimperne,
and their small size suggest that these earthworks may be of
pagan Saxon origin.