4 CRANBORNE (0513)
(O.S. 6 ins., SU 01 (all parts))
Cranborne parish has an area of 4,421 acres, mainly
on Chalk. The land slopes down from the N.W., where
Pentridge Hill rises over 500 ft. above sea-level, to
about 150 ft. in the S.E., where London Clay and
Reading Beds support extensive woodlands along the
E. boundary of the parish. The village stands in the S.
of the parish, on both banks of the R. Crane. Until
1894 the parishes of Alderholt and Verwood were part
Creneburne and Bovehric (Boveridge), the latter 1¼
miles N.E. of Cranborne village, are both named in
Domesday (V.C.H., Dorset iii, 67, 74). Subsequent
settlement developed on the S.E. of Cranborne and
extended along the banks of the Crane into the former
forest, where Holwell Farm and Targett's Farm now
represent the hamlet of Holwell, recorded in 1333.
Cranborne Manor House, historically one of the most
important domestic buildings in England, incorporates
the main walls of a fortified hunting lodge built by
King John in 1207–8 (History of the King's Works, II,
922). It was acquired in 1607 by Robert Cecil, 1st earl
of Salisbury, and is still the seat of the Marquess of
(1) The Parish Church of St. Mary and St.
Bartholomew, near the middle of the village, has
walls of flint and rubble with ashlar dressings of Greensand and Heathstone; the roofs are tiled, stone-slated
and lead-covered. A carved stone fragment, thought to
be of the 9th century and perhaps part of a mural cross
(Plate 9), was discovered in 1935 in a pond about 150
yds. N.E. of the church (Arch. J., CIV (1947), 162, 176);
it is now at the Manor House. Presumably the carving
came from some early religious building of which we
know nothing (see p. xxxvii). A Benedictine abbey was
founded at Cranborne c. 980 (Hutchins III, 381) and it
is presumed that the present church is on the site of the
abbey church. Early in the 12th century the Benedictine
house became a priory of Tewkesbury Abbey and it so
remained until the Dissolution. Two early 17th-century
plans (C.P.M. supplement 18) show the priory buildings
some 50 yds. S. of the church; they were pulled down
Cranborne, the Parish Church of St. Mary & St. Bartholomew
In the present church, the North Doorway is of the
mid 12th century, but no longer in its original position.
The lower part of the S. wall of the South Aisle and the
footings of the Nave colonnades appear to be of 12th-century origin. Early in the 14th century the nave and
aisles were rebuilt. The new nave piers were set on the
earlier bases and the S. wall of the aisle remained in the
former alignment, but the North Aisle was made wider
than before, the 12th-century doorway being reset. The
West Tower is of the 15th century. The nave and S. aisle
have 15th-century roofs; the N. aisle roof is of the 16th
century. A sketch of the N. side of the church in 1769
is in the Bodleian Library (Gough Maps 6, f. 55). The
North Porch, altered in 1855 (Dorset Procs., XXXIX
(1918), 116), was rebuilt in 1873 (Salisbury Field Club
Trans., I, 6). In 1874–5 the Chancel was rebuilt to
designs by David Brandon and at the same time the
North Vestry was enlarged and the Organ Chamber was
added (Sarum Dioc. Regy.; Builder, XXXIII, 967). A
fragment of a stone cornice preserved at the Manor
House is said to be from a former Tithe Barn, adjacent
to the church; it includes a head corbel flanked by
shields with the monogram TP (Plate 40), for Thomas
Parker, abbot of Tewkesbury 1398–1421.
The nave and aisles (Plate 6) provide a good example
of 14th-century architecture and contain interesting
funerary monuments and other fittings. The 15th-century tower (Plate 4) is among the finest in East
Architectural Description—The Nave has approximately
uniform N. and S. arcades of six bays, with two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders springing from piers with ogeemoulded and hollow-chamfered capitals and with chamfered
octagonal bases brought to a square plan by shaped spurs. On
the N., the first and fifth piers are composite, with monolithic
central shafts of Purbeck marble surrounded by three-quarter
shafts of Chilmark stone. The second and fourth shafts are
octagonal and of ashlar; the third shaft, similar to the second and
fourth, has evidently been rebuilt and was originally like the
first and fifth, witness the mutilated base mouldings of a composite shaft. The bases rest on low rectangular footings, the
remains of earlier piers, which retain traces of narrow chamfered
offsets. The S. arcade is similar to that on the N., but here the
composite central pier is preserved. Above the N. arcade, near
the E. end, are two clearstorey windows, each of three elliptical-headed lights in a square surround; the eastern window is of the
16th century, that on the W. appears to be later. The chancel
arch is modern.
The North Aisle has an early 14th-century E. window of two
trefoil ogee-headed lights under a segmental-pointed head with
no tracery. In the N. wall are three windows similar to that
described, but with square heads; the two openings towards the
E. may have been reset at a higher level than originally; that on
the W. has the sill at the original level, just above the wide
chamfered plinth. The reset N. doorway has lightly chamfered
jambs flanked by shafts with scalloped capitals, and vertical
bands of chevron ornament outside the shafts; above, roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered abaci support an arch of two
orders, the inner order two-centred and plain, with voussoirs
not radially jointed, the outer order semicircular and decorated
with chevron ornament under a label with nail-head enrichment.
The anomalous jointing of the inner order suggests that the
intrados was originally segmental, as in the S. doorway of
Milborne St. Andrew church (Dorset III, Plate 10), and that the
pointed outline results from the need to heighten the opening at
some later period. Reset in the W. wall of the N. aisle and
incorporated in the tower buttress is a 13th-century lancet
Low down in the eastern part of the S. wall of the South Aisle
is a short length of narrow 12th-century chamfered plinth. The
wide chamfered capping of the larger 14th-century plinth is set
at a higher level, higher indeed than the 14th-century window
sills so that the capping has to be mitred downwards at each
opening. Near the E. end of the S. wall is an early 14th-century
window of three gradated, trefoil ogee-headed lights under a
chamfered segmental-pointed head. The adjacent window, with
four cinquefoil-headed lights in a square-headed surround, is of
the 15th century. Further W., 14th-century windows uniform
with those of the N. aisle flank a contemporary doorway with a
two-centred hollow-chamfered head and continuous jambs.
The West Tower, of five stages defined by weathered stringcourses, has a wave-moulded plinth and an embattled parapet
with a moulded string-course with central and angle gargoyles.
The western corners have seven-stage buttresses with weathered
offsets; above the nave roof the eastern corners have corresponding square-set buttresses projecting N. and S. The octagonal
stair turret ends in the second stage with pyramidal stone capping; above, the vice continues through the third stage in a
smaller turret, projecting only slightly from the S. wall. The
tower arch is two-centred and of four orders, the inner order
ogee-moulded, the others chamfered; the three inner orders die
into the responds at the springing; the outermost chamfer is
continuous. The thick N. and S. abutments of the archway mask
the western springings of the nave arcades. The doorway to the
tower stair has a chamfered four-centred head and continuous
jambs. The inserted W. doorway has a moulded two-centred
head and continuous jambs in a casement-moulded square-headed surround with a deep label with large carved stops
representing the busts of a man and of a woman in 15th-century
dress; carved in the arch spandrels are the shields-of-arms of
France and England quarterly with a label for difference, and
of Neville (Richard, duke of York, the father of Edward IV,
married Cecilia Neville c. 1438). Straight-joints flanking the
upper part of the doorway show that the opening was made as
an afterthought, and possibly that the W. window sill was
originally somewhat lower. Over the doorway is a window of
five cinquefoil-headed lights with restored vertical tracery in a
double hollow-chamfered two-centred head; the label is continuous with the string-course between the second and third
stages. The fourth stage has a small trefoil-headed window on
the N. and another on the S. Each side of the fifth stage has a
belfry window of two cinquefoil-headed lights under vertical
tracery in a four-centred head. On the N. of the E. belfry window is a small trefoil-headed opening with splayed reveals and
a square rear-arch; grooves in the splays suggest that the opening
originally contained a small bell. The E. and N. belfry window
heads are masked by clock-faces.
The nave Roof is a two-centred 15th-century wagon roof of
twelve bays, with moulded arch-braces, purlins and ridge-piece,
and with deep moulded wall-plates; five chamfered tie-beams
are probably later insertions. The N. aisle has a low-pitched
16th-century lean-to roof with moulded wall-plates and beams
forming five and a half main bays, each bay divided into four
coffers by intersecting moulded beams of smaller size. The S.
aisle roof is contemporary with that of the nave, and of lean-to
form. Shaped stone corbels above the N. and S. arcades remain
from earlier aisle roofs.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 5th with Lombardic inscription 'Ave
Gracia Plena', probably from Salisbury foundry, early 15th
century; others recast 1951. Books: include chained leatherbound
copy of treatises by Bishop Jewel, printed by John Norton, 1610;
Hammond's 'Paraphrase ... of the New Testament', 1681;
'Companion to the Prayer Book', 1748. Brass and Indent: Reset
in chancel step, brass with black-letter inscription of Margaret
(Ashelie), wife of William Wallop, 1582. In nave, near S.E.
corner, indent for small plate.
Carving: (Plate 9, p. xxxvii), now at Manor House (4), of white
limestone, probably terminal from base or arm of mural cross;
flat trapezoidal part (1 ft. 6 ins. by 1 ft. 2 ins. by 6 ins. thick) with
sculptured panel depicting four-legged beast, convex arm
undecorated; reverse and sides coarsely tooled, reverse with wide
tapering mortice; 9th century, recovered from bed of pond in
Chairs: two, of oak, with twisted uprights and lower stretchers,
foliate main stretchers with crowns, stuff seats, carved backs with
stuff panels, and crowns on back cresting; mid 17th century.
Chests: two, of oak; one made up with shaped and carved panels,
perhaps 18th century; another, with beaded lid and moulded
plinth, 18th century. Coffin-stools: four, of oak with turned legs,
moulded stretchers and beaded tops, mid 17th century. Communion Table: of oak, with turned legs, moulded rails and plain
stretchers, 17th century. Door: In ringing chamber of tower,
with plain boards and four-centred head, 15th century. Easter
Sepulchre ?: (Plate 12) Reset in chancel on N., tomb-chest with
moulded Purbeck marble top, front with plain shield in quatrefoil
surround, in recess with moulded segmental-pointed head and
with quatrefoil aperture in back wall, 15th century.
Font: (Plate 18) of Purbeck stone, with octagonal bowl decorated on each side with shallow panels with two-centred heads,
on stout central shaft surrounded by eight lesser shafts, on plain
octagonal base with stepped spandrels, c. 1200. Glass: reset in 3rd
window of S. aisle, fragments including the upper half of an
angel, parts of black-letter inscriptions, a mitre, a crowned head,
a defaced shield-of-arms, perhaps argent, two chevrons gules;
probably 15th century. Graffiti: On W. jamb of N. doorway,
incised cross, 4 ins. high, mediaeval; on monument (8) initials
and dates, 1699–1795.
Monuments: In N. aisle, on N. wall, (1) of John Eliott, 1641,
small alabaster figure seated in niche with black marble surround
(Plate 15), surmounted by achievement-of-arms of Eliott
quartering eleven coats, with Latin epitaph on apron; (2) of Rev.
H. Donne, 1830, and his wife, 1820, marble tablet by Osmond
of Salisbury. Reset near W. end of N. aisle, (3) of Ann (Moore)
Hooper, 1637, Katherine Hooper, 1637, her husband Thomas
Hooper, 1638, others of same family, 1654–71, and Katherine
(Fleming) Wyndham, 1693, wife of Judge Wyndham, sometime wife of Edward Hooper, wall-monument of variegated
marbles with three slate inscription-panels in two-storeyed
architectural surround, with upper pediment enclosing cartouche-of-arms of Hooper of Boveridge, flanked by two shields-of-arms,
Hooper impaling another quartered coat, and with broken
pediment to lower storey with reclining figures of Justice and
Wisdom; lower panels with shields-of-arms of Hooper impaling
Moore. In N. aisle, on W. wall, (4) of John Hawles, 1571,
Purbeck marble table-tomb with moulded top and plinth, with
cusped panels on front of chest; Latin epitaph on Purbeck
marble slab attached to wall above.
In S. aisle, on S. wall, (5) of William Miles, 1806, and others
of his family, oval tablet on obelisk-shaped marble background
with urns; (6) of Mariana Brouncker, 1833, marble tablet by
Sanders, London; (7) of Susanna (Morris) Stillingfleet, 1647,
painted slate inscription tablet in enriched stone surround (Plate
15), with foliate apron and carved upper panel representing
cherubs, torches, hour-glass etc.; reset in S.W. corner, (8) probably of John and Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper, c. 1600 (Plate 13),
canopied table-tomb with effigies of man and woman on tombchest under arcaded canopy resting on Tuscan columns; canopy
with arabesque scroll-work on frieze, obelisk finials, and strap-work cresting enclosing achievement-of-arms of Hooper
quartering Porte. In churchyard, some 11 yds. N. of tower,
(9) of William Carter, 1694, headstone. Paintings: In nave,
above S. arcade, (1) allegory of Three Living and Three Dead,
much defaced; (2) St. Christopher in red outline, partly obliterated; (3) Seven Deadly Sins in yellow wash outlined in red with
foliage in green; (4) Seven Corporal Acts of Mercy, as in (3),
14th century (Plate 25).
Plate: includes silver cup and paten with assay marks and
donor's inscriptions of 1632; smaller cup with assay marks of
1712; large stand-paten with assay marks of 1690, engraved with
arms of Hooper impaling Ashley-Cooper and donor's inscription
of 1715. Pulpit: (Plate 19), of oak, circular, with panelled sides
with blind tracery; above, embattled cornice with spaced bosses
representing crowing cock, eagle, bird seizing hare, talbot and
monogram TP (Thomas Parker, abbot of Tewkesbury 1398–
1421). Royal Arms: painted on board, of Queen Anne, 1709.
Stoup: On S. of W. doorway, outside, recess with chamfered
trefoil head and worn bowl, c. 1438. Miscellanea: In N. aisle
at W. end, fragments of carved stonework including finials, one
bearing shield charged with emblems of Passion, probably 15th
century; also grotesque gargoyle, and voussoir from 14th-century window tracery.
(2) St. Aldhelm's Chapel, Boveridge (06161465), I
mile N. of (1), has walls of banded brick and flint with
stone dressings, and slate-covered roofs. A chapel at
'Boridge in Cranborne' is mentioned in a will of 1595
(S.D.N.Q., X (1907), 165). The present building, however, is of 1838 and consists of a Chancel and Nave
combined, with a N. Chapel and a small N.W. Tower,
all in simple classical style. The windows are round-headed. A stone bell-cote on the tower has four RomanDoric columns supporting a canopy with a vase finial.
The Chapel, Plan
Fittings—Chair: of yew, with cabriole legs, perhaps 18th
century. Font: of Portland stone, with gadrooned and fluted
bowl, probably 1838. Hatchment: Arms of Brouncker impaling
Burdett, mid 19th century. Monument: In N. chapel, of Henry
Brouncker, 1825, and others of same family, plain stone tablet
with pediment. Panelling: Reset on walls of chancel and nave,
oak wainscot, some panels with linenfold decoration, others
with arabesques and strap work, others plain; 16th and 17th
century. Miscellanea: In chancel, reset on N. wall, carved stone
cartouche painted with arms of Hooper impaling AshleyCooper, on bracket dated 1708; on S. wall, matching cartouche
carved with arms of Brouncker, on bracket inscribed 'Rebuilt
(3) Chapel (05421335), Wesleyan, with brick walls, slate-covered roof and tall round-headed windows, was built in 1847
and has recently been converted to secular use.
Former Chapel in Cranborne Manor House, see (4).
(4) Cranborne Manor House (053132), of three
storeys with basements and attics, has walls partly of
rendered rubble and flint with ashlar dressings, and
partly of ashlar; the roofs are tiled and stone-slated. The
building dates from the first decade of the 13th century;
important alterations and additions were made in the
first half of the 17th century. As one of the oldest
surviving domestic buildings in England, preserving its
original form to an extraordinary extent, Cranborne
Manor House is of great significance in architectural
The accounts of King John's journeyings show that
he visited Cranborne on many occasions; (fn. 1) it was conveniently placed for hunting in Cranborne Chase and
was within a day's journey of Clarendon Palace. In
1207–8 Ralph Neville the chief forester expended
£67. 6s. 4d. on 'building the king's houses of Cranborne'. (fn. 2) Many architectural details characteristic of the
early 13th century leave no doubt that a great deal of
this building survives.
Early in the 17th century the Cranborne estate was
acquired by Robert Cecil, 1st earl of Salisbury, who
employed John Norden to make a general survey of the
property. Norden's survey, dated 1605, is preserved at
Hatfield House (fn. 3) and upon the title page of the accompanying terrier is drawn the plan and elevation of the
manor house (Plate 42). The drawing shows a heavily
buttressed and crenellated building with two main
compartments (C and D) separated by a thick wall, a
projecting tower (A) at the S.W. corner, a smaller
turret (F) for latrines at the S.E. corner, a winding stair
(E) in a three-sided turret projecting from the S. wall,
and a straight flight of stairs (G) giving access to the
building, at the N.E. corner. The walls, with pointed
and square-headed windows, stood three storeys high
and were crowned by an embattled parapet with
machicolation. When Norden drew it, the large
western compartment was roofless and its W. gable (K)
stood isolated; compartment D, on the other hand,
retained a pitched roof.
Except for the N.E. stairs (G) which have gone and
the fenestration which has been greatly altered, most of
the features depicted by Norden exist today (Plate 43).
The principal external changes are that tower A has
been heightened and a corresponding tower masks
turret F. Important features to survive include the
coupled blind arches seen in the lower storey of Norden's
E. elevation. The actual arches are masked by a modern
addition, but corresponding arches are seen in the W.
elevation. Another important feature noted by Norden
is the embattled parapet with ornamental machicolation
of trefoil archlets on moulded and carved brackets,
some of them retaining scalloped decoration typical of
the early 13th century (Plate 42). Other details of the
mediaeval house have been brought to light in recent
years. Removal of the plaster on the S. elevation has
exposed a jamb and part of the head of the upper pointed
window shown by Norden on the E. of the stair turret.
In the northern part of the E. elevation the single pointed
window shown by Norden between two buttresses has
been reopened; inside, this window illuminates a wide
embrasure with shafted jambs and a small piscina on
the S., evidently the recess for an altar, indicating a
chapel in this corner of the building. A large aumbry
to the S. of the recess has rebated jambs and a trefoil
sinking on the face of the lintel. The aumbry is now in
the same room as the altar recess, but it is possible that
a wooden partition originally stood between the two
features, the aumbry thus being in a room beside the
chapel. The chapel being presumably the king's private
oratory, the adjacent room was doubtless that of the
royal clerk or chaplain, and it may be conjectured that
the aumbry was for the safe-keeping of personal effects.
Lastly, in the lower part of the N. elevation, between
the two western buttresses, a double loop has recently
been exposed from which bowmen might cover the
northern approaches to the house in case of attack
From these data much of the original arrangement of
the royal hunting lodge can be reconstructed. Compartments C and D were undercrofts; in C the vaulting
rested on two piers; in D it rested on the walls alone;
the double bowman's loop was manned from undercroft C. Stairway G probably led to a mezzanine floor
in the upper part of undercroft D; this room, lit by the
lower of the two windows seen by Norden in the
eastern part of the S. wall, is likely to have been the
guardroom. In the S.W. corner of the guardroom an
obliquely set doorway led to the spiral stairs, which
wound down to the lower part of the undercroft and
up to the battlements, as they still do. Two or three
steps up from the threshold of the guardroom doorway
another doorway gave access to the great hall which
occupied the whole area above undercroft C and
probably was open to the roof. The hall was lit by large
pointed windows in the S. wall and perhaps by other
windows on the W. and N.; the single chimney-stack
seen in Norden's drawing presumably served a fireplace
in the N. wall. A doorway in the S.W. corner of the
hall led to a vice, now gone, but attested by loops in
the E. wall of tower A; this served apartments on two
or three floors in the tower. From the level of the hall,
the spiral stair first mentioned rose to the floor over the
guardroom, where were the king's chapel and the
presumed clerk's chamber with its aumbry, the chamber
being lit by the pointed window on the E. of the stair
turret. Adjacent on the S.E. Norden shows a garderobe.
Continuing upwards, the spiral stairs led to the storey
above the chapel and clerk's chamber, lit by the two
upper windows seen in Norden's E. elevation; no doubt
this was the king's own chamber. It is possible that a
snote iderbe was contrived at this level in the thick
ness of the buttressed wall, directly over that of the
floor below; dotted lines on Norden's plan suggest that
the garderobe was directly accessible from the spiral
stair by means of a narrow passage. The chimney-stack
with two flues which Norden shows rising from the E.
walk of the battlements probably served fireplaces in
the king's chamber and in the clerk's chamber below.
Cranborne Manor House
Since the main walls of the 13th-century building
were sound and of great strength, Robert Cecil proceeded to re-use them in the construction of his new
house, but although the walls were retained, the floor-levels and the fenestration were changed. The battlements of the mediaeval S.W. tower were removed and
its height was increased. At the S.E. corner of the house
a corresponding tower was built, obliterating the former
garderobe turret which now is attested only by thickening of the inside walls at certain places. The centre
buttresses on the E. and W. walls were removed; those
on the N. wall were disguised with classical pilasters,
coupled and arranged in three storeys. Plans of the house
and gardens by Thomas Fort, master mason, preserved
at Hatfield (C.P.M. supp. 70 A, (1–5)), show that the
main approach was originally on the N., although the
direction has now been reversed.
At basement level, in the angle between the E. wall
of the mediaeval building and the new S.E. tower,
Fort's plan (Plate 41) shows the new kitchen; a 'pasterie'
extended the range further E., and larders lay to the S.;
these rooms were at about the same level as 'the oulde
kitchen' which occupied most of compartment C on
Norden's plan. Above these rooms, on the ground floor
Fort's plan shows the hall and screens-passage, a buttery
to the E. of them, a pantry in the new S.E. tower and,
further E., a staircase and 'lodgings', the latter with bow
windows facing N. and S.; the new kitchen was high
enough to extend into this storey. The same plan shows
the mediaeval S.W. tower occupied by a staircase,
which still exists; further W. is a wing with a parlour
and a chamber, with N. and S. bow windows to match
those of the E. wing. Fort's plan of the first floor shows
the upper part of the hall, lodgings in the E. wing, and
a withdrawing chamber and a large 'new dininge
roome' in the W. wing. The place of King John's
oratory and his clerk's room is taken by an apartment
named 'Prince's Chamber'. The second-floor plan shows
the great chamber and a withdrawing chamber in the
area above the hall, and a room marked 'the Kinge's
chamber' in the position similarly identified in the
foregoing analysis of the mediaeval building; the S.E.
tower has a lodging at this level; the rest of the plan
shows 'ded roomes' in the roof-spaces of the E. and W.
wings. The topmost plan shows lodgings and 'gutters'.
The building account-book records that the 'tarris'
was built on the N. of the house in 1610; steps from it
led to an arcaded porch sheltering the main entrance. A
somewhat similar porch with a 'studie' above it was
built on the S. side of the house. The N. courtyard was
formed in 1611 and the 'courte garden' was laid out on
the S. of the house in 1620. Over £3,000 was spent on
the house between 1608 and 1612. In 1636 Thomas
Sawyer, mason, received payment for stone rails and
balusters in the court before the house.
In 1643 troops were quartered in the house and did
considerable damage. A letter of c. 1645 from Thomas
Fort complains that the gateway of the N. court and
the balustrades of the terrace had been 'broken down
by ye souldiers', and asks for new designs from Captain
Ryder. The same letter mentions that the early 17th-century W. wing was in a bad state and that Captain
Ryder had already drawn up plans for rebuilding it. The
accounts of 1647 include items—'to the workmen for
pulling down the west part of Cranborne House in
April and May', 'paid to Thomas Forte freemason for
building the west end, until June 28, £196. 0. 5', 'for
9000 bricks for ... buttresses to join the old and the
new building together', and 'the finishing over the
Porch with my Lordes Arms'. The accounts of 1648
include Captain Ryder's bill for 'a design for the new
building at Cranborne'. The rebuilding of the W. wing
was finished by 1648, but notes of minor works occur
in the account-book until 1657. The house, however,
seems to have remained unoccupied by its owners; a
note of 1685 states 'there is no tenant of the mansion
house nor hath been for many years'. In 1716 the work
of demolishing the early 17th-century E. wing appears
to have been started when a certain Andrew Coney
began to pull down the chimneys. Throughout the
18th century and until 1860 the building was divided
into two farmhouses. In 1828 James Buckler made
drawings from the N. and the S.E. (B.M., Add. MS.,
36361, 140–1; 36439, 228). In 1863 a programme of
repairs and alterations was initiated and the house was
once more taken into use as a residence by the 2nd
Marquess of Salisbury.
Architectural Description—The N. court, now a garden, is
entered from the N. through an 18th-century gateway with
rusticated pilasters and ball finials. The gateway broken down by
the soldiers in 1643 is shown on Thomas Fort's plan of c. 1610
as an arched opening surmounted by a scrolled gable with three
large finials. A short flight of steps on the S. of the court leads
up to the terrace of 1610, remade in 1647; it has a stone balustrade
with turned balusters and extends from E. to W. along the N.
front. The N. front (Plate 43) is approximately symmetrical and
of three main bays defined by square buttresses of three stages;
these probably incorporate part of the original mediaeval
buttresses, but they have 17th-century facing (Plate 45). Each
outer buttress is embellished with coupled classical columns and
entablatures in three stages; the lower stage is of the RomanDoric order and has plain capitals, and strapwork enrichment
to the pedestals, shafts and frieze; the middle stage has egg-anddart carving on the Doric capitals; the upper stage is richer and
has Ionic capitals. The inner buttresses are as described except
that their lower stages are incorporated with the porch. The
porch has three semicircular arches on Roman-Doric columns
supporting a classical entablature; strapwork enrichment occurs
in panels on the flanking piers, on transennae in the lateral arches,
on the frieze and on the parapet. Above, a rectangular stone
panel with a moulded surround encloses the achievement-of-arms of the 2nd earl (quarterly of six: Cecil, Winstone, Caerleon,
Heckington and Walcot). The windows of the N. front are of
three transomed square-headed lights; the doorway within the
porch has a roll-moulded four-centred head and continuous
jambs under an ogee-moulded square-headed surround, with
strapwork in the spandrels. Above the window-heads of the
second storey the mediaeval embattled parapet, partly obliterated
by 17th-century chimneystacks, rises from a corbel-table with a
moulded and hollow-chamfered string-course and trefoil
archlets resting on moulded and carved corbels. Some corbels,
notably those at the N.E. angle (Plate 42), are clearly of the
early 13th century; others are probably 17th-century replacements. Low down in the N. front on the W. of the porch is a
13th-century archers' loophole with two splayed loops (Plate 42).
Set back at the W. end of the main N. front is the N. front of
the W. wing, rebuilt by Captain Ryder in 1648; it has details
similar to those of the W. front, described below.
The S. front (Plate 43) comprises five main bays and two
further bays in the W. wing. Of the main bays, the three in the
centre survive integrally from the 13th-century building; they
are defined by a buttress of three weathered stages and by a
projecting stair turret with canted sides and a weathered head.
At the top is an embattled parapet with weathered coping, looped
merlons, and a weathered and hollow-chamfered string-course
above a trefoiled corbel-table; all these features appear on
Norden's drawing of the building as it was before 1608 (Plate
42). The western bay, projecting as a tower, comprises Norden's
tower A in its two lower storeys; the 17th-century top storey,
with smaller quoin stones than below, has a cornice imitated
from the corbel-table of the mediaeval walls. The loops noted
by Norden near the re-entrant angle between the tower and the
main building have recently been rediscovered. The three-storeyed eastern bay, also projecting as a tower, is of the 17th
century. All windows in the S. front are of three square-headed
lights, mostly with transoms. In the eastern part of the façade
the intermediate lights of the double-transomed windows are
blind and mask the first floor. Close to the stair turret, on the E.,
is seen the quoin and part of the arched head of one of the large
mediaeval windows depicted by Norden.
Projecting at the centre of the S. front, between the stair
turret and the buttress, is a 17th-century portico (Plate 45) with
three rusticated arches, the middle arch elliptical, the lateral ones
semicircular, resting on Roman-Doric columns with shafts
rusticated in the lower part; above is an entablature with a
frieze of strapwork panels. The early 17th-century doorway
within the porch has a moulded elliptical head and continuous
jambs. The portico has an upper storey with a square-headed
window flanked by conch-headed niches; this is crowned by a
modillion cornice and a parapet in which the two round-headed
central 'merlons' have circular recesses enclosing the sculptured
symbols of Libra and of Virgo (drawing, p. 120); it is probable
that the ten plain circular recesses below the second-storey
windows of the S. front formerly contained, or were designed
to contain, other emblems of the zodiac.
The W. front of the two-storeyed W. wing (Plate 44) is
symmetrical and of three bays; the lower storey has a square-headed central doorway flanked by two-light casement windows. The storeys are defined by a plat-band; heavy quoins
emphasise the corners; the eaves of the steeply hipped roof have
a deep cornice with large wooden modillions. All these features
except the windows were designed by Captain Ryder in 1648.
The surviving plans (Plate 41) and accounts show that the
preceding 17th-century wing had two bays of windows in the
W. front, bow windows on the N. and S., and a gabled roof.
The present windows are of 1863; a drawing by F. de Roos
dated 1829 shows mullioned and transomed two-light openings
with architraves and triple keystones; the ground-floor windows
had shallow segmental heads, the taller first-floor windows were
square-headed. The N. and S. fronts of the W. wing have details
corresponding with those of the W. front. On the N. of the W.
wing, the northern part of the W. elevation of the mediaeval
building retains, in the lower storey, two shallow round-headed
recesses with arches in which alternate voussoirs are of Chilmark
and Heathstone; part of the southern recess is masked by the
17th-century W. wing. Adjacent on the N. is a mediaeval
buttress of three weathered stages, with ashlar coursing of two
contrasting colours. Part of the original corbel-table survives
near the top of the wall.
The E. elevation of the mediaeval building is masked in the
two lower storeys by modern additions, but early photographs
show round-headed recesses similar to those on the W. Above, at
a level intersected by the present second floor, a 13th-century
lancet light has recently been reopened. This is the lower of the
three arched windows shown on Norden's E. elevation. The two
upper windows seen by Norden have been replaced by a 17th-century transomed four-light window. To the N. of the lancet
light is a three-stage mediaeval buttress of banded ashlar, as on
the W. The corbel-table is largely of the 13th century.
The courtyard on the S. of the house dates from early in the
17th century; it has brick walls in English bond. At the centre
of the S. wall is an ashlar-faced gateway with a moulded semicircular arch; above, the wall has a weathered brick coping with
two merlons. Flanking the gateway and set diagonally on plan
are two small two-storeyed lodges (Plates 33, 47) with pyramidal
Inside the house, the screens-passage has twin 17th-century
doorways on the E., with hollow-chamfered four-centred heads
in moulded square-headed surrounds, with carved spandrels. A
similar doorway splayed across the S.E. corner is set at a higher
level so that its threshold may correspond with one of the steps
in the mediaeval circular stair from which it opens, indicating
that the present floor-level is below that of the mediaeval hall.
The oak screens have two segmental-headed doorways flanked
by Roman-Doric pilasters which carry foliate brackets and a
moulded entablature; the gallery over the screens-passage has an
oak front with arcaded panelling; all these features are carved
with guilloche ornament and scroll-work. The walls of the hall
have early 17th-century oak panelling in five heights. The
fireplace has a stone surround with a shallow four-centred head
in a square-headed frame with modillions. The doorway in the
S.W. corner of the hall has a moulded four-centred head in a
square-headed surround, with foliate spandrels and shaped stops.
The circular stair to which the S.E. doorway in the screenspassage gives access is of stone. Two steps down from the screenspassage doorway, a doorway to the former buttery has a chamfered triangular head and chamfered jambs; the stair is lit by
square-headed loops. In the basement, four steps up from the
bottom of the stair, the newel terminates at a shaft-base with
13th-century hold-water mouldings (Plate 42). A recess at this
level has, on the W., an original doorway, now blocked, with
a chamfered two-centred head; doubtless it opened into the
undercroft marked C on Norden's plan. The kitchen, occupying
the greater part of the undercroft, has plain 17th-century vaulting, four-centred in cross-section, with moulded ribs with leaf
enrichment at the intersections; the vaults spring from piers and
corbels with modillion capping; the square piers have chamfered
arrises with shaped stops. The large kitchen fireplace, on the
N., has an ashlar surround with a chamfered segmental head. In
the E. wall of the kitchen are two 17th-century stone doorways
as described, and a food-hatch with a similar surround.
The basement doorway to the S.E. tower has a chamfered
four-centred head and continuous jambs; on the E. splay is a
mason's scratching with '1609, R.R.' in a scribed circle and
In the S.W. tower the early 17th-century staircase is of oak,
with continuous square newel posts converted above hand-rail
level into Roman-Doric columns (Plate 34); stout turned
balusters support heavy moulded handrails; at second-floor
level the square newel posts terminate in large ball finials. In the
W. wing, which is entered through the staircase tower, the two
small eastern rooms on the ground floor survive from the early
17th-century building. The drawing-room, in the part of the
wing which was rebuilt in 1648, was remodelled in 1863; its
two fireplaces probably survive from the early 17th century
when there were two rooms here, a parlour and a chamber. On
the first floor the two eastern rooms of the W. wing remain as
shown on the early 17th-century plan (Plate 41). The 17th-century panelling in the 'withdrawinge chamber; is in four
heights capped with a strapwork frieze; the obliquely set doorway from the staircase has a timber frame with a chamfered
four-centred head and an original door with peg-studded planks
and iron strap-hinges. The large western room, originally the
'new dininge roome', but rebuilt by Ryder in 1648, is now a
library; the windows were remodelled in 1863, but traces of
mid 17th-century window embrasures of finely jointed ashlar
with segmental heads were found in 1969 when the 19th-century panelling was temporarily removed. At the top of the
main staircase, the doorway to 'the greate chamber' over the
hall has a moulded four-centred head in a square surround, as
before, and a peg-studded plank door with strap-hinges. The
fireplace in the N. wall of the great chamber is similar to that
of the hall, but smaller. The carved wooden overmantel appears
to be of the 16th century and presumably is reset; it has a centre
panel of elaborate scroll-work flanked by tapering pilasters with
Corinthian capitals surmounted by obelisk finials. The withdrawing chamber on the E. of the great chamber has a fireplace
with a stone surround, as before, under a chimneypiece formed
of 16th and 17th-century carved woodwork, reassembled.
Adjacent on the E., the King's Chamber has a fireplace with a
stone surround under an oak chimneypiece (Plate 36) in which
the panelled overmantel has tapering pilasters with strapwork
enrichment flanking twin aedicules with broken pediments and
vase finials; above is a triglyph frieze. On the first floor, below
the King's Chamber, the room named Prince's Chamber on the
early 17th-century plan has a reset 16th-century oak chimneypiece carved to represent a grapevine, with a central niche containing a figure of Atlas, an old man bearing a globe in his arms.
A recess with ashlar walls on the E. side of the room is part of
the 13th-century domestic chapel. It has a 13th-century lancet
window with wide splays; the S. jamb of the recess retains an
attached capital with a trumpet-shaped bell and a moulded
abacus; below it is the rebate for a column-shaft, now gone. In
the S. side of the recess a small square-headed niche with a
chamfered surround contains the remains of a piscina, indicating
that the recess originally contained an altar. To the S. of the
shafted jamb is a large square-headed aumbry with chamfered
and rebated jambs which continue on the lintel in the form of a
trefoil panel. In the N. wall of the room are the splayed sill and
jambs of a northward-facing lancet, now blocked.
(5) Cranborne Lodge (05601314), originally the
house of the Stillingfleet family, is of three storeys with
cellars and attics, and has brick walls with stone dressings,
and tiled and leaded roofs. The square central block is
of c. 1700. Soon after the middle of the 18th century,
when the house belonged to the Drax's, E. and W.
wings were added to the southern part of the block
and E. and W. staircases to the northern part; on the
first floor the W. wing contains a handsomely appointed
drawing-room (advertisement, Salisbury Journal, 3 Feb.
1766). Extensions on the N.E. are of the late 18th or
early 19th century.
The N. front of the original building is symmetrical and of
four bays with a pediment; in the lower storey the two middle
bays contain a central doorway with a columned and pedimented
porch. The first-floor windows have rusticated architraves with
heavy keystones; the second-floor windows are plain and the
pediment has a round-headed central window. The E. and W.
staircase bays have round-headed mezzanine windows.
The pedimented S. front of the original building (Plate 46)
is of three bays. The lower storey, with a columned and pedimented central doorway, is rendered and forms a podium for a
tetrastyle facade with Ionic pilasters which extend through the
second and third storeys. The central window in the second
storey is round-headed and has heavy rustication. The E. and
W. wings are each of three bays; the storeys are higher than in
the centre block and above the second-floor windows the roof
is masked by a parapet.
Inside, the rooms have 18th-century fittings of good quality,
with moulded cornices and skirting-boards, and panelling with
fielded centres. The S. hall has a stone pavement and probably
was the entrance hall in the original plan; it has a carved stone
chimneypiece of c. 1700 (Plate 46). Ionic columns at the W. end
of the hall replace the former outside wall. The first-floor
drawing-room in the W. wing has a modelled and coloured
plaster ceiling (Plates 38, 39) with rococo scroll-work and flower
wreaths surrounding a gilt eagle with clouds and lightning; it
closely resembles contemporary work at Came House (Dorset II,
386); the finely carved wooden chimneypiece has similar
enrichment (Plate 46). The chamber over the N. hall has a highly
enriched plaster entablature of c. 1700, retaining original gilding
and colouring (Plate 38).
(6) The Fleur-de-Lis Inn (05571326), of two storeys with
brick walls and tiled roofs, dates from the 16th century, but has
been much altered. The walls, originally of timber framework,
were cased in brick late in the 18th century.
The roof of the original range is of oak with heavy tie-beam
trusses, one with scissor-bracing, others with cambered collar-beams; these support two purlins on each side and retain some
curved wind-braces. In the N.W. wing the roof is of similar
construction, the purlins resting on the wind-braces of the E.-W.
roof; one truss has a lower king-strut.
The ground-floor rooms of both ranges have intersecting
beams with shaped stops; mortices in the soffits indicate former
partitions. The N.W. wing retains part of a beam with ogee and
ovolo mouldings and shaped stops.
(7) House (05511327), of two storeys with brick walls and a
thatched roof, is of the late 17th or early 18th century; it is now
divided into two tenements. Inside, an open fireplace has a
chamfered bressummer with run-out stops. A ground-floor
room has a large chamfered beam with ogee stops. The stairs
have splat balusters.
(8) Cottages (05481336), two adjacent, with timber-framed
walls and thatched roofs, are now of two storeys, but originally
were of one; they date from the 17th century. The framework
has brick nogging and in places has been replaced by brickwork.
The former eaves plate is seen below the first-floor window sills.
Unless described otherwise, the following monuments in Cranborne village are of the 18th century and
are two-storeyed, with brick walls and tiled roofs.
(9) Cottage (05621334), of one storey with dormer-windowed
attics under a thatched roof, was built early in the 18th century.
It has a moulded brick plinth and string-course, and lozenge-shaped panels of blue bricks below the dormer window sills.
(10) House (05571334), of two storeys with attics, dates from
early in the 18th century. The S. front, of six evenly spaced bays
with a plat-band and plain pilasters, was largely rebuilt in the
19th century. Inside, the stairs have original splat balusters, and
one room has a deeply chamfered beam.
(11) Cottage (05551334), with a slate-covered roof, is of the
late 18th century. The S. front is symmetrical and of three bays,
with a blue-brick chaînage.
(12) Cottage (05471337), of early 18th-century origin, but
much altered in recent years, retains a panelled chimney-stack
with a cornice with shaped modillions.
(13) House (05441336), with a symmetrical three-bay S.W.
front, dates from the middle of the 18th century. The central
doorway has a flat wooden hood on shaped brackets; sashed
windows in both storeys have gauged brick heads with ashlar
keystones. The middle first-floor 'window' is false.
(14) House (05391346), with a class-U plan, is of the early
19th century. The symmetrical three-bay E. front has a central
doorway with a fanlight in a rusticated surround, and plain
sashed windows in each storey. Inside, the opening between the
E. vestibule and the W. staircase hall has an elliptical head and a
door-case with fluted pilasters and carton-pierre enrichment. The
stairs have plain balustrades and scrolled step spandrels.
(15) House (05371352), of two storeys with attics, comprises
two parallel ranges; that on the W. is of c. 1770, that on the E,
is later. The E. front was originally symmetrical and of three
bays, with a central doorway and with segmental-headed sashed
windows with ashlar keystones; an extension on the S. is modern.
Inside, several rooms have contemporary fireplaces with moulded
(16) Cottages (05511343), two adjacent, are single-storeyed
with attics and have walls partly of timber framework and
partly of brick and rubble; the roofs are thatched. They are
probably of early 17th-century origin.
(17) House (05681323), of two storeys with a thatched roof,
is of the second half of the 18th century. The S. front is symmetrical and of three bays. The plan is of class T.
(18) House (05751328), with a date-stone of 1712, has a
symmetrical W. front of three bays. Inside, are two chamfered
(19) House (05621325), of mid 18th-century origin, has a
19th-century symmetrical S. front of three bays with a central
doorway. The plan is of class T.
(20) Boveridge House (06991476), of two principal
storeys with cellars and attics, has brick walls with
ashlar dressings, and slate-covered roofs (Plate 47). It
was built by Henry Brouncker (d. 1825) to designs by
William Evans of Wimborne. The original house was
smaller than at present, the S. front comprising only
five bays and the service rooms being in the basement.
Additions made during the second half of the 19th
century on the W. of the original house include a
vestibule with flanking rooms, a ground-floor service
wing to N.W and a loggia to S.W. The central W.
portico with Greek-Doric columns probably comes
from the original façade: an inscription records its
restoration in 1887. Probably at this time, too, the
roofs were altered and the attics were enlarged. The
E. drawing-room was built in 1920.
(21) Almshouses (06051469), range of five small single-storeyed dwellings with cob walls and thatched roofs, appear to
date from the early part of the 19th century. The original plan
comprised five bedrooms and one communal living room, but
at present the charity is extinct and the building is in private
occupation. The only feature of note is a rude porch on the N.E.
(22) Boveridge Farm (06391498), house, of two storeys with
brick walls and slate-covered roofs, dates probably from early
in the 19th century. It appears to incorporate elements of 'the
old mansion of the Hoopers . . . pulled down about the beginning of this century' (Hutchins III, 385). Inside, there are 18th-century doors and doorcases, and some reused 17th-century
chamfered beams with rounded stops.
(23) Cottage (06401510), at Boveridge Farm, is two-storeyed and has flint and brick walls and slated roofs; it bears a
date-stone of 1833. The small red bricks, however, are earlier
than this date and probably were salvaged at the demolition of
the old mansion (see (22)). Inside, a ground-floor room has a
17th-century chamfered beam with ogee stops at one end only.
(24) Cottages (05921502), range of four, 500 yds. W. of the
foregoing, are two-storeyed and have cob walls with brick
plinths, and thatched roofs. Probably they are of the late 18th
(25) Cottage (05871490), single-storeyed with a dormerwindowed attic, has cob walls and a thatched roof; it is of the
first half of the 18th century. The plan is of class S. Inside, one
room has a beam with narrow chamfers and shaped stops. The
fireplace has a chamfered wooden bressummer with run-out
(26) Cranborne Farm (04141454), house, of two storeys with
brick walls and slated roofs, is of late 18th-century origin with
an early 19th-century extension on the N. A barn on the W.,
with walls partly of brick and partly of timber framework and
with a modern iron-covered roof, is of the late 17th or early
18th century. A barn on the N. with timber-framed walls is of
the 18th century.
(27) Biddlesgate Farm (07741428), house, of one storey with
attics, has walls of cob and of brick, and slate-covered roofs. The
original range has a class-J plan and is of the late 17th century.
About the middle of the 18th century a wing with a class-S
plan was added at right-angles to the range, on the E., and early
in the 19th century a small extension was made on the W. of the
range. Inside, the dairy at the N. end of the original range has a
chamfered beam with run-out stops. The 18th-century wing
contains a chamfered beam with rounded stops.
(28) Ashes Farm (07791375), house, is single-storeyed with
dormer-windowed attics and has brick walls and a thatched
roof; it dates from c. 1700. The plan is of class J and some
chamfered ceiling beams are exposed.
(29) Harb Lane Farm (08291232), house, of one storey with
attics, has brick walls and a thatched roof. It dates probably from
the early part of the 18th century, but has been much altered in
(30) Targett's Farm (06761304), house, of two
storeys, has brick and stone walls, partly rendered, and
a tiled roof; it is of late 15th-century origin with 18th
and 19th-century additions. The early range may
originally have had rubble walls, the brickwork being
refacing of the 17th century. Noteworthy external
features are the chamfered ashlar plinths of the original
range, and stout ashlar N.E. and N.W. quoins. The
roof retains 15th-century trusses.
The plan of the original house does not belong to one of the
classified groups (see p. xlvi). The hall at the S. end of the range
appears to have been chambered over from the beginning; its
ceiling rests on two chamfered beams and a corresponding S.
wall-plate. The N. bay is partitioned off to make a throughpassage; a beam some 2 ft. N. of the N. side of the passage
implies that the passage was originally wider than at present.
Further N., the ground-floor rooms have no notable features.
The position of the original fireplace is unknown. In the E.
side of the hall is an original square-headed doorway with a
chamfered oak surround with ogee stops; it leads to a lobby
containing an 18th-century oak staircase with cut strings, turned
balusters, chamfered newel posts and moulded handrails.
Although the stairs are of the 18th century the doorway from
the hall suggests that an original stair stood in the same position,
and the splayed corner shown on the plan probably remains from
this stair. Further E., the parlour has a moulded plaster cornice
and a fireplace of c. 1820.
On the first floor, a doorway similar to that in the hall gives
access from the staircase to the hall chamber; this room is
spanned, some 10 ft. from the S. end, by an original collar-beam
truss with chamfered arch-braces supporting heavy purlins with
curved wind-braces. In a position above the presumed N. side
of the through-passage the roof has a collared tie-beam truss,
indicating that the chamber storey was originally divided at this
point. About half-way between the tie-beam truss and the N.
end of the range there are remains of another collar-truss, this
time without arch-braces.
A Barn some 30 yds. N.E. of the farmhouse has walls partly
of brick and partly weather-boarded, and modern iron roofcovering; doubtless it was formerly thatched. The roof, with
four queen-strutted collar and tie-beam trusses of oak, braced
to oak posts, is probably of the 17th century. The posts were
once flanked by aisles on both sides, but that on the N. has gone.
The S. aisle has a 17th-century brick wall and a modern roof.
Mediaeval and Later Earthworks
(31) Motte and Bailey (059126), nearly ½ mile S.E. of (1),
stands on a prominent rise called Castle Hill, at the N.W. end of
a broad ridge. Nothing is known of its history. The earthworks
cover some 2½ acres and comprise a circular motte, 180 ft. in
diameter and 28 ft. high, surrounded by a small ditch with an
outer bank on the W. and N.W. A crescent-shaped bailey on the
E. is bounded by a rampart up to 25 ft. high, with an outer
ditch. A causeway across the ditch, and what appears to be an
entrance through the rampart, are at the S. end of the bailey.
(32) Deer Park, of about 1,040 acres, known as Blagden Park,
occupies the N. part of the parish on the E. slopes of Pentridge
Hill. It was created soon after 1321 (Dorset Procs., 86 (1965),
165–70) and until 1485 it lay wholly in Cranborne parish,
Bokerley Dyke (Pentridge (16)) being used as the N.E. boundary.
Subsequently the park was extended into Hampshire. The park
pale is a bank 14 ft. wide and 3 ft. high, where best preserved,
with an inner ditch.
Roman And Prehistoric
(33) Roman Building (07291262), found in 1867, occupied a
site at Holwell, below Jordan Hill, on low ground immediately
E. of the R. Crane. Two areas of red tessellated pavement were
traced. Finds included samian ware, New Forest and other
coarse pottery and a Constantinian coin; some of these are in
D.C.M. (Arch. J., XLIV (1887), 395–6; Hutchins III, 388).
(34) Romano-British Settlement (047155), now almost
totally levelled by ploughing, occurs on either side of the track
leading N.W. from Jack's Hedge Corner (Plate 86, centre). The
site lies on the gentle E. slope of a ridge at about 350 ft. above
O.D. Air photographs (C.U.A.P., ANB 67–71, V–DG 40;
N.M.R., SU 0416/1/49–51) suggest that it was unenclosed and
covered at least ten acres; they also indicate that it overlies
'Celtic' fields (Group (85), p. 118).
Romano-British Pottery has been found N. of the village
(05341406), where a ditch containing oyster shells was seen,
together with tiles and a coin of Constantine I (Dorset Procs., 86
(1965), 119); also at Castle Hill (Hutchins III, 381), and near
West Blagdon (ibid., 385). The last-named site may be identical
Bokerley Dyke (Pentridge (16)) forms part of the N.E. boundary
of the parish.
(35) Bowl (04011569), on the summit of a spur on Blackbush
Down, has been damaged by digging; diam. 30 ft., ht. I ft.
(36) Bowl (04131480), just N. of Cranborne Farm, lies on a
gentle slope overlooking the Crane valley; diam. 65 ft., ht. 2 ft.
A Barrow appears to have existed on Castle Hill and to have
yielded a bucket urn (Dorset Procs., XXIX (1908), 137; Ant. J.
XIII (1933), 444). Two 'Wessex Culture' bronze daggers, found
in digging foundations near Boveridge House (069148) in 1802,
were possibly associated with another barrow (Dorset Barrows,
104). 'Knap Barrow' (05151474), and other irregularities within
the copse in which it lies, are natural features, the remains of
Tertiary capping overlying the Chalk.
A grave, containing a bell-beaker (Clarke, type E), flint flakes
and cores, apparently unmarked by a mound, was recorded, but
not precisely located, by Pitt-Rivers on Blackbush Down
(Excavations III (1892), 240–1; Clarke, Beaker Pottery of Gt.
Britain (1970), 479, No. 169).
(37) Mound (06571488), known as Noddle Hill, lies in woodland on the summit of a ridge W. of Boveridge House. It is
roughly oval (120 ft. by 80 ft. and 12 ft. high), and is partly
surrounded by a level area which may be the remains of a shallow
ditch with an external bank. The mound has been extensively
damaged by quarrying and by the insertion of a water-tank in