10 HINTON PARVA (0003)
(O.S. 6 ins., ST 90 SE, ST 90 NE, SU 00 SW)
This small parish of less than 500 acres lies on the E.
bank of the R. Allen. In the N. and S. the land is Chalk;
in the E. and W. it is Reading Beds.
(1) The Parish Church of St. Kenelm, in the S.
of the parish, was rebuilt c. 1860 (Hutchins III, 138).
Re-erected in the new building, but extensively
restored and probably widened, the 12th-century
Chancel Arch of the former church comprises a semicircular arch of one plain order, outlined on E. and W.
by large plain roll-mouldings and hood-moulds with
chevron ornament. The arch springs from chamfered
abaci, largely restored. Free-standing shafts on the
responds correspond with the roll-mouldings above. On
the chancel side the shafts are plain; that on the N. has
a 19th-century capital, that on the S. retains an original
scalloped capital. On the nave side the N. shaft has
spiral fluting with beaded flutes at intervals and the
capital has upright leaves; the S. shaft has imbricated
ornament and the capital appears to represent four
Fittings—Bells: six, Nos. 4, 5 and 6 by Mears, 1840, others
modern. Image: Reset over S. doorway, carved stone panel, 1¼ ft.
high (Plate 9), representing angel with book and cross, probably
Monuments: In N. transept, on W. wall, (1) of Sir Richard
Carr Glyn Bt., 1838, and his wife Mary (Plumptre) 1832,
marble tablet in surround in 15th-century style, with shield-of-arms of Carr quartering Glyn, impaling Plumptre; on N. wall,
(2) of Thomas Christopher Glyn, 1827, and others of his family,
tablet by Marshall of Westminster. Plate: includes silver flagon
and stand-paten, each with assay marks of 1836.
(2) The Old Rectory (00440378), of two storeys with brick
walls with stone dressings and with tiled and lead-covered roofs,
is mainly of late 19th-century date, but it incorporates a nucleus
of c. 1820.
(3) Building and Occupation Debris (00390387), immediately N.W. of the church, were found in 1939. The site lies on
Chalk at 100 ft. above O.D., on the lower slopes of the Allen
valley. A rubble wall, stone roofing slabs, tiles, wall-plaster and
some pottery were noted (Dorset Procs., 71 (1949), 66).