Selwyn College Arms
(38) Selwyn College, at the corner of Grange Road
and Sidgwick Avenue, was begun in 1881. The early
20th-century Hall contains, on the back wall of the dais,
reset woodwork given in 1914 in memory of E. W.
Benson, Archbishop of Canterbury, by A. C. Benson.
It consists of the reredos from the English church of St.
Mary at Rotterdam and was brought over by Benson in
1913, the year the church was demolished.
Description—The reredos extends the width of the W. wall;
it is of oak, with coupled pilasters at each end and a central
pedimented feature with freestanding columns, all of the
Corinthian order, on low pedestals. The pilasters support a
plain entablature, the columns an enriched entablature with
dentils and modillion-cornice; on the pediment are two urns.
The lining is of fielded panelling, with short returns on the side
walls flanked by plain pilasters with stylised capitals and carrying simple entablatures. The rest of the 18th-century panelling
in the Hall is partly fielded, partly plain, with a cornice. The
woodwork is considerably restored and much of the panelling
A pamphlet, An Account of the Money Collected for the English
Church at Rotterdam, published in two parts, in 1702 and 1706
(University Library), records that in 1702 the draft for
'erecting a convenient and ornamental building' was submitted to the Duke of Marlborough and the Magistrates.
The list of contributors is headed by Queen Anne. The last
page has a list of contracts but concludes, the 'inward
work not yet contracted for'. The reredos is stylistically
of the early 18th century.