(62) Stourbridge Chapel, dedicated to St. Mary
Magdalene, stands on the N. side of the Newmarket
Road, N.E. of the railway bridge. The walls of the
chancel and the E. wall of the nave are ashlar-faced; the
remainder are of flint pebbles with later brick patching;
the dressings are of Barnack or Weldon stone. Most of
the original external and internal plastering has now
gone. The roofs are tile-covered. A hospital for lepers
was founded here at some uncertain date, the earliest
reference to it being at the end of the 12th century.
The chapel, consisting of Chancel and Nave, seems to
have been built about the middle of the same century.
It later came into the hands of the monastery of Ely
and at the end of the 14th century indulgences were
being granted for contributions towards repairs; the
roofs may have been renewed at this period.
The chapel and lands were leased by the Bishop of
Ely to the Corporation of Cambridge in 1544, released
to them in 1597 by Elizabeth I, and in 1606 granted by
James I to John Shelbury and Philip Chewte. The
survival of the chapel has been attributed to secular uses
connected with Stourbridge Fair. In 1816 it was bought
by the Rev. Thomas Kerrich and given to the University. It was restored in 1843 and used for services for
labourers building the Eastern Counties Railway.
Subsequent restorations were in 1867, under the direction of Gilbert Scott, when the W. wall is said to have
been remodelled, and in 1949, when the building was
put into sound condition for services. In 1951 the
University gave the chapel to the Cambridge Preservation Society, now the freeholders.
St. Mary's is an interesting survival of a smaller 12th-century chapel connected with a leper hospital. It
contains some rather unusual architectural decoration of
Architectural Description—The Chancel (18 ft. by 12¾ ft.)
has a partly rebuilt E. gable with traces of a later blocked
window and with two string-courses on the wall below, the
upper with billet-ornament and the lower a simple axe-work
ornament of vertical and diagonal lines. The angles both have
two tiers of attached shafts, much weathered; the upper capitals
still retain their scallops. The E. window of one square-headed
light is probably a mid 19th-century insertion. The lower
string-course on the E. wall is continued along the N. and S.
walls. In the N. wall is a 12th-century window of one round-headed light with an outer order carved with conventional
leaf-ornament and springing from shafts with scalloped
capitals and moulded bases. The upper 2 ft. of the same wall
has been rebuilt and incorporates reused 12th-century worked
stones. In the S. wall is a 12th-century window generally of
similar form to the foregoing, but with the inner order
carved with four-leaved flowers and the outer with cheveronornament; the W. shaft is carved with cheveron and spiral
ornament and has a moulded band carved with two rosettes;
the E. shaft is missing. Further W. is a doorway, now blocked,
of uncertain but post-mediaeval date, with jambs and segmental arch of two plain orders. The 12th-century chancel-arch
(Plate 282) is semicircular and of two orders with one roll-moulded order on the E. and beaded cheveron-ornament on
the W.; the responds have attached and free circular shafts with
scalloped capitals and moulded bases. The chancel was formerly
covered by a quadripartite vault that sprang from vaulting-shafts in each corner about 5 ft. high. The shaft on the N.E.
retains its scalloped capital, much damaged; that on the S.E.
has lost its capital; the other two shafts have been removed.
The marks of the vault can be seen on the E., N. and S. walls.
The Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene, Stourbridge
The Nave (31 ft. by 17 ft.) has two external string-courses
similar to those on the chancel and, between them, the angles
are shafted. In the N. wall is a 12th-century window similar
to that on the N. of the chancel, but with cheveron-ornament
on the outer order and cheveron-ornament on the rear-arch,
and jamb-shafts with scalloped capitals and moulded bases.
The 12th-century N. doorway, now blocked, has a semi-circular head with cheveron-ornament and a label with billet-ornament; the order springs from modern shafts with original
scalloped capitals and moulded bases; the plain inner order of
the jambs supports a plain lintel. In the S. wall is a window
similar to that in the N. wall. The 12th-century S. doorway
has a semicircular head of two orders, the inner moulded and
continuous and the outer with cheveron-ornament and springing from restored shafts with original scalloped capitals and
modern chamfered bases; the label has cheveron-ornament.
Between the two features in the S. wall internally is a rectangular area of blocking; Cotman's sketch of 1818 shows a fireplace inserted here. The W. wall has had the flint-pebble
facing renewed. In it are three windows, the two lower round
and the one above, in the gable, similar to those in the sidewalls. None of the three is shown in Cotman's sketch of 1818
and the uppermost is probably of 1867, but the lower are not
of this date and it is possible that they were in Cotman's time
covered by rendering.
The Roof of the chancel is of c. 1400 and of three bays, with
moulded principals, plates, purlins and ridge; the principals
have curved braces and wall-posts, both moulded, standing
formerly on stone corbels; these last have been defaced or
removed except one in the S.W. corner carved with a half-angel. The roof of the nave is of similar type and construction
but of four bays and with vertical ashlar-pieces; four of the
corbels retain carvings of a flower and grotesques.
(J. S. Cotman, Antiquities of St. Mary's Chapel at Stourbridge
Fittings—Lockers: In chancel—in N. wall, rectangular
recess with rebated reveals, late mediaeval; in S. wall, rectangular recess without sill, of uncertain purpose and date.
(63) Augustinian Friary, founded in 1290, occupied
most of the site on the N. side of Pembroke Street
bounded by Corn Exchange Street, Wheeler Street and
Free School Lane. In the basement of the modern Arts
Schools are some reset architectural features and fragments from the buildings of the friary; Cole, born in
1714, remembered a gateway 'much like that of Trinity
Hall' (see Monument (41)), comprising a large archway
with a 'smaller wicket' beside it, fronting Peas Hill.
The reset material includes three clunch doorways with
two-centred heads, one of two continuous stop-chamfered
orders, 13th or 14th-century, another of one chamfered order
within a square casement-moulding with quatrefoils in the
spandrels, c. 1400, and the third originally of two continuous
moulded orders but with only the inner order and the lower
courses of the outer order surviving, 13th-century. The first
two are said to be reset below the positions they previously
occupied. The fragments consist of moulded stones from
door-jambs and an arch-respond, 14th-century.
(64) Barnwell Priory, Augustinian canons, stood
to the N. of the Newmarket Road, immediately N. of
the church of St. Andrew the Less. Only a fragment of
the buildings survives, comprising a single vaulted
chamber standing at the corner of Priory Road and
Beche Road. The walls are of clunch-rubble with
dressings of Barnack stone and some clunch; brick has
been used for repairs and patching; the roofs are tilecovered. Since 1886 it has been the property of the
Cambridge Antiquarian Society.
Founded in 1092, the house, originally of Canons
Regular, was moved here from near Cambridge castle
in 1112. The church was not consecrated until 1190; the
other buildings seem to have been extensively rebuilt
during the first threequarters of the 13th century, including the greater part of the claustral block subsequent to
c. 1254. The priory was surrendered in 1538 and towards
the end of the century it was being used as a quarry;
some of the stone for the new chapel of Corpus Christi
College was from here. Between 1810 and 1812 the site
was levelled and the foundations were largely destroyed.
The conventual buildings lay in all probability to the N.
of the church and it has been conjectured that the surviving fragment adjoined the N.W. corner of the N.
and W. ranges of the cloister. The plan and details suggest that it may have been the Kitchen, forming the
western part of the N. range, and the lost N. building
the service stair to a first-floor Frater.
Barnwell Priory, Remains of Claustral Buildings
Architectural Description—The building is of the mid 13th
century, much repaired and with modern buttresses; originally
it continued further to the E., another building adjoined it on
the S. and perhaps a second on the N. It was originally divided
into double bays, of which the two westernmost pairs survive,
by octagonal piers and semi-octagonal vaulting-shafts supporting two-centred quadripartite vaulting with chamfered
ribs; pier and shafts have moulded capitals and bases and, with
the ribs, are of Barnack stone; the vault is of clunch. The E.
wall butts against complete vaulting-shafts in the side walls
while the central pier or shaft is bonded into it; this curious
arrangement suggests that the E. wall represents in part an
original partition, but probably the eastern area of the vaulting
and clearly the greater part of the wall have been rebuilt in
modern times and therefore the central shaft may well be
reused material. In the N. bay of the same wall is a doorway
with four-centred head, now blocked, of uncertain date.
Some 5¼ ft. to the W. of the E. wall are traces of bondingstones remaining inside the N. and S. walls perhaps marking
the position of an early partition.
The N. and S. walls both retain the W. jambs of openings
at their eastern extremities. Continuing westward, the N. wall
has a tall wall-arch with two-centred head embracing a doorway below and narrower two-centred window above both
patched and altered, a 13th-century doorway with modern
wood lintel, now blocked, and a fireplace. The fireplace
occupies most of the W. bay and has chamfered jambs, a
square recess on either side, a square head and a rough relieving-arch; it is of the 13th century, altered and in part destroyed.
In the 19th century, evidence remained of an external wall
with chamfered plinth running N. close E. of the 13th-century doorway. The S. wall has, outside, three 13th-century
vaulting-shafts, with moulded bases and capitals, standing to
the springing; the centre shaft is an angle-shaft and the W.
shaft has been reset; a large 19th-century arched opening
occupies most of the W. bay.
In the W. wall, in each bay, is a 13th-century transomed
window of two paired lancet lights, rebated externally above
the transom and chamfered externally and rebated internally
below, with a moulded label following the heads of the lights
and a segmental chamfered rear-arch; the windows are much
damaged and patched and in part blocked, and the lower
portion of the S. pair has been entirely destroyed for a doorway,
now blocked. Fragments of a stone wall-bench survive that
ran along the inside of the W. wall and the E. bay of the S.
wall, now outside.
In the building are three stone coffins, one retaining part of
a lid carved with a cross, 13th-century, and a number of
enriched architectural fragments of the 12th and 13th centuries.
See also Monuments (46) and (270) for other architectural
(65) Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and
the English Martyrs (R.C.), standing at the corner
of Hills Road and Lensfield Road, was built in 1887
–90. It contains the following:
Fittings—An oak statue of about half life size of the Virgin
suckling the Child and standing on a crescent (Plate 35), of the
mid 16th century, traditionally from Emmanuel College; the
connection is unknown. A statue of our Lady of Grace, which
acquired some fame, is first recorded at the Dominican priory
in 1515. In the Chapel of John Fisher, on the E. wall, a wood
figure of St. Andrew crucified, about half life size, set against a
large roundel with spandrels carved with seated angels holding
St. Andrew crosses and a wide border with painted inscription: 'The Gift of A. Welby Pugin A.D. 1843 St. Andrew pray
for us'. It was first in the church of St. Andrew in Union Road,
Cambridge, designed by A. W. Pugin and consecrated in 1843,
then of the Sacred Heart, St. Ives, and finally erected here in
memory of Mgr. Canon Scott, S.T.D. (Plate 11).
(66) St. Andrew's Street Chapel (Baptist) stands
on the W. side of the street, next N. of the Police
Station. It was built in 1903 in replacement of the chapel
of 1836, which itself replaced one of 1764. Nothing of
the older structures survives but the chapel contains the
Fittings—Books: include a bible, London, 1679, in original
binding with silver mounts, another in German, Minden,
1753, with original binding, six works by Robert Robinson
of 1790–1812 and his MS. description of his estates at Chesterton, 1783, vellum-bound, tracts, pamphlets and other works
forming a small library of some fifty books. Chairs: two; one
with reeded horizontal bars in the back, scrolled arms, turned
legs and cane seat, early 19th-century, on inscription-plate
'Chair used by the Rev. William Carey, D.D., at Serampore',
the pioneer of modern foreign missions, who inspired the
founding of the Baptist Missionary Society; the second in S.
vestry, of oak, with panelled back and shaped head-rail carved
and inscribed 'DS 1670', shaped arms and turned legs, given
in 1938. Monuments: On W. wall, (1) of Rev. Robert Roff,
1850, minister, oval wall-tablet of white marble. In churchyard—N. of chapel, (2) of Charles, son of Richard and Martha
Foster, 1818, William Foster, 1837, and James M. Foster, 1853,
table-tomb with oval inscription-panel; (3) of Katharine
(Smith) Eaden Lilley, 1842, plain table-tomb; two other tabletombs and some twelve headstones of the first half of the 19th
century. Plate: includes a pair of cups each with two scrolled
handles and flared stem, the maker's mark TW JH in a square
and the London assay-marks for 1819, given in that year. Miscellaneous: In vestry, framed medallion with modelled portraitbust of the Rev. Rob. Hall Leicester, by T. R. Poole 'medallion modeller to the Prince of Wales', 1814.
(67) Former Zion Chapel (Baptist) stands on the S.E.
of East Road, some 135 yds. N.E. of Parker's Piece. It is
of two storeys with basement. The walls are of gault
brick; the low-pitched roofs are slated. The original
chapel with a schoolroom in the basement, built on the
initiative of the Rev. Henry Battiscombe, former
Fellow of King's College, was opened in 1838. It has
been used as a hall and schoolrooms since the addition
of a new chapel adjoining on the N.E. between 1877
and 1879, when also the N.W. wall was rebuilt further
forward to allow the addition of a porch and staircases;
at the same time minor alterations were made on the
S.W. side. The later works were to the designs of
William Peachey, architect, of York.
The S.W. side has a lofty shallow wall-arcade of four bays
containing the ranges of four rectangular sash-hung windows
on the basement, ground and first floors; the arches have
semi-elliptical heads. The doorway between the two eastern
bays is an insertion of 1877–9 and the additions of this date
include the cornices to the ground-floor windows, the
moulded string at first-floor level and the simple eaves-cornice. '1837 Zion Chapel Sunday School 1879' is inscribed
on the street front over the doorway. The S.E. end is masked
by 1 Petersfield, a house of 1842 given for the ministers' use
in 1853 and approached through an internal doorway.
Inside, the upper floor is supported on cast-iron fluted
columns with foliated capitals designed originally to carry
galleries. On the ground floor, the plain timber internal porch
is probably of 1837 and the enclosure of the stairs to the
basement is made up of panels from the original pulpit, the
latter with blind arcading of three semicircular-headed arches
springing from half-round columns, early 19th-century. The
baptistery bath has been removed.
(68) Chapel Street Church Hall, Chesterton,
(former Baptist Chapel) stands at the N. end of the
street, on the W. It is of one storey. The walls are of
gault brick; the low-pitched roofs are slated. The
original building is of c. 1844; it was extended E. later
in the 19th century when also separate rooms were
added on the W.
Both sides of the original building have a shallow wall-arcade of three bays with semicircular arches springing from
plain brick responds. In each recess is a semicircular-headed
window with glazing including narrow marginal panes. The
interior is plain and retains no original fittings. It is now used
by the Church of England.
(69) Eden Chapel (Baptist) stands at the corner of
Fitzroy Street and Burleigh Street, some 180 yds. E.
of New Square. It is a building of 1874, replacing the
original Calvinistic Baptist Chapel opened in 1825, and
contains from the latter, except where otherwise
described, the following:
Fittings—Monuments: In vestry—(1) of Lydia Tunwell
Flack, 1839, plain shaped wall-tablet of stone; (2) of Susanna
and Isabella Wybroe, 1836 and 1840, stone wall-tablet with
black marginal line; (3) of John Cream, 1848, stone walltablet with cornice on black backing. In forecourt—(4) of
John Stittle, 1813, plain stone tablet, from the Independent
Chapel, 'Stittle's Chapel', formerly on the site of 3, 4 and 5
Green Street; (5) of Sarah Hindes, 1818, headstone; (6) of
Rob. Benton, 1837, and Rebecca his wife, 1817, coffin-shaped
stone in paving.
(70) Former Providence Chapel stands on the S.E.
of East Road, between Schoolhouse Lane and Caroline
Place, 343 yds. N.E. of Parker's Piece. The walls are of
gault brick; the roofs are slate-covered. It was built as a
Calvinistic Baptist Chapel in 1833 on the initiative of
the Rev. William Allen. The trustees mortgaged it for
£400. The mortgagor died in 1834, his executors foreclosed and the chapel was sold for £577 in 1837 to
become a church school. The second minister, Henry
Battiscombe, then founded Zion Chapel (Monument
(67)). It is now a wholesale shop.
The building consists of a rectangular block with pedimental gables to N.W. and S.E. and a single-storey porch on
the N.W. below a semicircular-headed window within a wallrecess of the same shape. The walls have plain parapets above
a simple stucco cornice. The sides are divided into three, and
the S.E. end into two bays by continuous brick pilaster-strips.
The window with flat brick arch in the upper part of each bay
of the side walls is original. The porch, which is now incorporated in later additions, has an outer semicircular-headed
archway of two plain brick orders.
The internal arrangement of chapel and gallery, with a
basement, formerly a schoolroom, survives, but the upper floor
with central opening retains nothing of the original gallerystructure. Below the chapel a small section of the basement
formerly enclosed by brickwork was probably the baptistery.
Emmanuel Congregational Church, Trumpington
Street, see Monument (71).
(71) Former Congregational Chapel, now Concert
Room of the University Music School, stands in Downing Place. The walls are of white brick and the roofs are
tiled. Built as Emmanuel Congregational Chapel in
1790, a single-storey porch etc. was added on the W.
late in the 19th century and the interior completely
modernised in 1936. The fittings from here listed below
are now in Emmanuel Congregational Church in
Trumpington Street, built in 1874.
The original chapel is an oblong building with hipped roofs.
The entrance front, the narrow W. end, where rising clear of
the later additions, has a stone plat-band at first-floor level, a
simple eaves-cornice and a parapet-wall; it is in three bays, the
middle bay projecting 4½ ins. and pedimented, and contained
originally three tall semicircular-headed windows. These last
have now been in part blocked to form six windows. In the
tympanum of the pediment is a small round light. The E. end
and the N. and S. walls are plain and also contain tall windows,
the E. windows similar to those opposite, the others with segmental heads and in part blocked. A lead rainwater-pipe survives on the S.W. with moulded head dated 1790.
Fittings, in the new church—Monuments: In lobby, (1) of
Rev. Joseph Sanders, 1788, white marble wall-tablet; (2) of
Joseph Thodey, 1835, stone wall-tablet with cornice. Plate:
includes a porringer (Plate 23) with foot and lower part of
bowl gadrooned and two beaded scroll-handles, London
assay 1698, inscribed 'CWS' and 'Given by Mrs. S. Ewens
1756', a porringer (Plate 23) similar to the first but smaller,
London assay 1705, inscribed with indecipherable monogram in
a cartouche and 'Given by Mr. J. Audley 1816', a porringer as
before but with slighter handles and only a flange for foot,
London assay 1711, inscribed 'SPF' with stars in a cartouche,
and 'Given by F. Jennings 1816', and a flagon (Plate 23) 9½ ins.
high with shaped body, spout, scrolled handle, shaped lid and
moulded foot, London assay 1816, inscribed 'Given by Mr.
C. Rutherford 1816'.
(72) Friends' Meeting House, 12 Jesus Lane, stands
near the junction of Jesus Lane and Park Street. It is of
two storeys, with walls of brick and slate-covered roofs.
It is the Meeting House built in 1777, but drastically
remodelled and heightened in 1925 and now linked to
a building of 1894 on the S.
The E. and W. walls and part of the S. wall of the 18th-century building stand free; all have been heightened, the first
is set back 3 ins. at first-floor level. Four rectangular sash-hung
windows on the ground floor on the E. may be original; all
the other openings are modern.
The interior has been largely rebuilt and completely refitted.
(73) Pound Hill Chapel (formerly Methodist,
latterly Catholic Apostolic) stands on the N.W. of
Pound Hill 20 yds. from St. Peter's Street. It has a
gallery and basement. The walls are of gault brick; the
roofs are slate-covered. The building is shown, as
'Methodist Chapel', on Baker's map of Cambridge of
1830 and must, for stylistic reasons, have been built only
shortly before that date. It is now a warehouse.
Consisting of an oblong block lengthways with the street,
the N.E. and S.W. ends have low-pitched gables. The two
sides both have three bays of ground-floor and gallery windows
divided and flanked by lofty wall-recesses with elliptical brick
heads just below the eaves and sills weathered out to the normal
wall-face just above basement-level. The basement windows
are symmetrically arranged but at odds with the baying above.
The principal windows have flat brick arches and, on the street
side, rectangular panels below the sills; they contained double-hung sashes, but are now mostly blocked. The entrance from
the street is through a doorway in the northernmost wallrecess.
Inside, the gallery returns round three sides of the building
in horseshoe form supported on cast-iron columns; it has a
panelled front. The other fittings are of the later 19th century.
(74) Cambridge General Cemetery lies on the E. of
Histon Road, some 200 yds. N. of Huntingdon Road.
Provided and administered by a Company formed by
trust deed in 1843, it was opened the same year and in
1936 conveyed and assigned to the Town Council.
Original buildings include an entrance lodge and a
mortuary chapel, the first in the Elizabethan Tudor style,
the second in mid 14th-century Gothic. The date 1833
in the chapel glass perhaps indicates the inception of
The Lodge and the Mortuary Chapel are good
examples of their kind.
The Entrance Lodge (Plate 309) is of two storeys. The walls
are of white brick with red brick diapering and stone dressings.
The roofs are covered with polygonal slates. It has acutely
pointed gables to N. and S., a semi-octagonal stair-tower on
the W., triangular bay-windows, and boldly projecting
chimney-stacks. On the E. is a flat-roofed extension incorporating the original porch, now largely remodelled, with a
stone panel over the entrance doorway inscribed '1843'.
Flanking the Lodge are iron gates hung on brick and stone
piers; the N. pier of both pairs of the last has on the E. face a
slate panel incised with the regulations for the conduct of the
The Mortuary Chapel has walls faced with flint pebbles and
roofs covered with polygonal slates. It is centrally planned, in
the form of a Greek cross, with transverse gabled roofs. The
W. arm is extended to form a porch with a large open
western arch; in the end of each of the other arms is a three-light window with curvilinear tracery in a two-centred head,
and in every gable-apex a pierced curvilinear triangle or
roundel. The W. doorway is contrived below the springing of
an arch with two-centred head, this last containing glazed
The crossing inside, forming the main compartment, has E.,
N., S. and W. arches with two-centred heads, the spandrels
between the last and the gabled roofs being pierced and
cusped. Original fittings include, among the woodwork, a
traceried Screen of seven bays in the E. arch, a buttressed and
traceried Lectern, and Benches with shaped ends and poppyheads carved with foliage. In the Glass over the W. doorway
are two roundels, one with initials EBL superimposed upon a
pair of compasses, the other '1833' in ribbon-like numerals;
the other windows contain 19th-century glass with geometric
patterns in grisaille and colour, the arms of England and
roundels, one with the initial H, another with a stag. A clunch
Monument with crocketed gable and finials in the N.E. corner
of the eastern arm, of Ebenezer Foster, 1851, and his wife
Elizabeth, 1850, with a shield-of-arms of Foster below, is by
Rattee. The floor is laid with 19th-century red Tiles with
geometric and foliage patterns and EBL with a compass, as
in the glass, in white slip.
A number of memorials in the Cemetery are before 1850.
The following, (1–4) standing S. of the path between the
Chapel and the Lodge and (5) S. of the last, are the more noteworthy: (1) of Elizabeth Headland, wife of Joel Smart, 1846,
fluted demi-column with flaming urn, on pedestal, by Wiles;
(2) of Eliz. Swinton, 1844, tall tapering pedestal supporting
gadrooned urn with swags; (3) of Naomi Saunders, 1843,
similar to (2); (4) of Thomas Foote, 1847, similar to (1) and by
the same maker; (5) of William Adams, 1849, large pedestal
with arabesque-enriched frieze supporting urn. The fine table-tomb in the 14th-century Gothic style, S. of (3) and (4),
though recording earlier deaths, is probably shortly after 1850.
(75) Mill Road Cemetery lies some 360 yds. E. of
Parker's Piece. It was consecrated in 1848. The custodian's House in the S.W. corner was formerly the
Mortuary Chapel etc. and so served until a larger chapel
was built in the middle of the cemetery. The later
chapel has been demolished.
The House has the more conspicuous walls faced with
knapped flints and flint pebbles with dressings of limestone
ashlar. The W. wall is of brick. The roofs, formerly covered
with stone slates, are now tiled. It consists of a main E. to W.
block, formerly containing the chapel open to the roof, with a
two-storey W. cross-wing containing a committee-room to
the S., custodian's rooms to the N. and above. In the middle of
the S. wall of the first is a wide doorway sheltered by a shallow
gabled porch with a stone tablet over the entrance inscribed
'Parochial Burial Ground Consecrated Nov. 7th 1848'. The
wing is gabled to N. and S., the stone copings rising from
shaped kneelers with cusped gablets to cusped apex-finials.
The windows have timber casements of one, two and three
lights in stone reveals. At the intersection of the roof-ridge is a
Inside, the former chapel, now with a staircase and floor
inserted, has a roof divided into three bays by tie-beam trusses
with wall-posts and braces and braced collars, most of the
latter braces being cut away. The original floor of 9 ins. by
9 ins. tiles remains.
In the cemetery is a number of monuments dating from
before 1850 but none is architecturally noteworthy.
(76) Miscellaneous. Built into the Museum of
Archaeology and Ethnology, in the main gallery on
the second floor, is the central archway and surrounding
stonework of the choir-screen designed by Inigo Jones
and set up in Winchester Cathedral between the easternmost piers of the nave in c. 1638. The screen was
demolished between 1819 and 1827 though the two
bronze figures by Le Sueur, of James I and Charles I,
that embellished it, were retained and are still in the
nave. (John Britton, Cathedral Antiquities, III, pl. x
(1818), shows the screen in position; Winkle's Cathedral
Churches (London, 1838), pl. 52, shows the succeeding
Gothic screen, designed by William Garbett, with the
statues reused. The Gentleman's Magazine, 89, pt. ii
(1819), 306, refers to Ingio Jones' screen still in place and
ibid, 97, pt. ii (1827), 111, refers to it as removed.) The
fragments were found between 1908 and 1910 in the
triforium by Sir Thomas Jackson, Bt., R.A., consulting
architect for the Cathedral and architect of the Museum,
on whose recommendation the Dean and Chapter presented the middle part to the University. Much of the
rest of the screen was used for patching the stonework of
the Cathedral and the remainder stowed in the crypt.
Many of the stones were found to be reused mediaeval
dressings. (Museum Arch. and Eth., MS. note dated
3 Jan. 1914 signed T. G. Jackson).
Two 17th-century drawings of the screen are in the
R.I.B.A. Library, one attributed to Inigo Jones in the
Burlington-Devonshire collection (Drawer 1, no. 53),
the other, differing slightly from the finished work, on
the flyleaf of Inigo Jones' own copy of the Venice edition (1619) of Sebastian Serlio, Tutte L'Opere d'Architettura etc. (E.W. 72: 013(45), in safe). At Chatsworth are
drawings for the two statues (Sketches for Masques, vol. I,
no. 129). An agreement for the bronzes was made with
Le Sueur on 17 June 1638 and witnessed by Inigo Jones;
the figures were to be 5 ft. 8 ins. high, in Roman
armour and to be finished by the following March for
£340 (S.P. Dom., Charles I, 442, 2); in the event they
were fashioned in contemporary armour.
The screen, though fragmentary, is of architectural
importance. When complete with the two statues, it
was one of the early works of coherent and scholarly
Classical design in England.
The re-erected fragment is of Beer stone, extensively restored and painted. It consists of a projecting pedimented bay
containing an archway and flanked by half bays (Plate 246).
Freestanding fluted Composite columns, pilaster-responds and
flanking pilasters all on renewed pedestals support the enriched
pedimented entablature, which has a modillioned and dentiled
cornice. The attic-face above is panelled and capped by a
minor dentil-cornice. The central archway has a semicircular
head, a moulded archivolt with carved scrolled keystone and
plain jambs with moulded imposts and bases.
(The Burlington-Devonshire drawing is reproduced in
Archl. Review (March 1911), 130, and R.I.B.A. Journal xxxvi
(24 Nov. 1928), no. 2; reproductions also of the Chatsworth
drawings are in the second.)