(88) Former Workhouse of the parish of St. Andrew
the Great, now shops, flat and store, stands at the S. end
of St. Tibb's Row, N.E. of St. Andrew's Hill. It is of
three storeys with a small cellar; the walls are of gault
brick and the roofs are slate-covered. Built in 1829
(H. P. Stokes in C.A.S. Procs. XV (1911), 98) and superseded by the Union Workhouse in Mill Road (Monument (90)), it was sold by the Guardians of the
Cambridge Union in 1838 (Camb. Chronicle 14 July
The building is a plain rectangle on plan, 89 ft. by 16 ft. The
original windows are of squat proportions and sash-hung, with
glazing of small panes. In the S. end is a mid 19th-century
shop-front with plain pilasters dividing and flanking doorway
and window. On the W. at first-floor level is a large opening
with segmental head lighting and ventilating the staircase and
latrines behind. The accommodation consisted of 'a sittingroom, large hall, back kitchen, cellar, yard, pump of good
water and twelve good bedrooms'. The ground floor is more
or less altered, but the upper floors are divided into rooms of
nearly uniform size.
(89) Former Workhouse of the parish of St. Michael,
now in part a shop, the rest a store, stands on the E. side
of Gifford's Place, 10 yds. N. of Green Street. It is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the W. wall is of brick,
the other walls are timber-framed and plastered and the
roofs are tile-covered. Two tenements on the site were
rebuilt by the parishioners for the paupers in 1794 (H. P.
Stokes in C.A.S. Procs. XV (1911), 118). See Monument
The building is a plain rectangle on plan. The W. side to the
road is more or less symmetrical, with a doorway in the middle
flanked by sash-hung windows; later brickwork of adjoining
properties extends into each end of the ground floor, on the N.
as far as a doorway to the latrines, on the S. to include a window. Over the main doorway is a timber panel now blank
but formerly inscribed S.M.P. On the first floor are three
sash-hung windows, and in the roof three gabled dormer-windows. All the other walls are blank.
Inside is a large central room with an iron post in the middle
supporting the upper floor and, against the E. wall, a fireplace.
At the N. end and behind the latrine entered from the street
is a dark closet. At the S. end is an unpierced partition to a
narrow room now serving the adjoining property. The first
and second floors each have three intercommunicating rooms
of nearly uniform size.
(90) Former Union Workhouse, now Maternity
Hospital, stands on the E. side of Mill Road, nearly
opposite Tenison Road. The original building is of two
storeys; the walls are of yellow brick and the roofs are
slate-covered. In 1836 the Poor Law Commissioners
ordered that the fourteen parishes of the Borough
should be united for the administration of the laws for
the Relief of the Poor under the name of the Cambridge
Union. The new Guardians at first retained only six of
the parochial Workhouses, St. Andrew the Less, St.
Mary the Less and Holy Sepulchre, Holy Trinity, St.
Andrew the Great (Monument (88)), All Saints and St.
Edward, and appointed a Committee to arrange for a
Central Union Workhouse to take two hundred and
fifty inmates. The building was designed by John Smith
and occupied in 1838; the site had cost £480. (C. H.
Cooper, Memorials of Cambridge III, 147; Camb. Chronicle
2 Aug. 1837, designs on view in Mr. Smith's office.)
Some alterations and extensions were made almost
immediately (Camb. Chronicle 18 May 1839). The
original lay-out included four courts with porter'slodge, tramps' cells, bedrooms and offices, master's and
matron's rooms, day-rooms, dormitories, baths, workshops, chapel and mortuary. Only the administrative
block survives, amongst later buildings.
The Administrative-block is a long narrow building. The S.W.
front is of eight bays; excluding the S.E. bay, the other bays
are symmetrically arranged with a central doorway and the
end bays paired under pedimented gables. At first-floor level is
a continuous plat-band. The ground-floor windows are round-headed, the upper windows segmental-headed, and all contain
double-hung sashes. The doorway has an architrave and a
cornice supported on console-brackets. The pedimented gables
have full cornices of which the lower members are continued
across the building as a widely projecting eaves-cornice; each
tympanum contains a small stucco panel with the date 1838.
None of the other original walls contains features of note and
the interior of the building has been completely modernised.
(91) Former Female Refuge stands 27 yds. S. of
Christ Church to the S. of the Newmarket Road. It is of
two storeys, with walls of gault brick and slate-covered
roofs. An institution was established at Dover Cottage,
East Road, in 1838 to 'afford to females who have been
leading a sinful course of life, and express a desire of
returning to the path of virtue, a temporary refuge where
they may be sheltered from temptation, be provided
with proper employment, receive religious and useful
instruction'. In 1839 the managing Committee advertised for fresh premises or a building-site. The site was
acquired and the present building completed probably
by 1841, the date on a tablet in the boundary-wall
(Camb. Chronicle 15 June, 6 July, 26 Oct. 1839). It is now
divided into flats, and partitions have been built in the
The Refuge is of interest as a 19th-century welfare
institution of unusual character retaining the original
buildings and much of the original layout.
The building is symmetrical and consists of a tall block, T-shaped on plan, sited axially upon Christ Church and midway
between Napier Street on the E., Christchurch Street on the
W.; single-storey ranges extend to both streets from the cross-arm of the T. The whole is enclosed on the E. and W., from
the graveyard on the N. and private properties on the S. by a
high wall. The entrance-front, the N. side, of the main block
is in seven bays; the middle bay is partly screened by a singlestorey porch; the end bays project. At first-floor level is a
continuous plat-band; a second, narrower, band continues the
sills of the first-floor windows. At the wall-head is a wide
timber eaves-cornice with modillions. The low-pitched roofs
are hipped. The porch has clasping Roman Doric pilasters at
the angles with exaggerated entasis, an outer round-headed
archway of brick in two orders, a modillioned eaves-cornice
and a low-pitched roof. The entrance-doorway has a fanlight
in a segmental head. The windows have segmental brick heads,
blind recesses of similar form taking the places of windows in
the end bays. Symmetrically placed at the roof-ridge are two
large chimney-stacks with paired groups of flues linked by open
round-headed arches. The other sides of the main block have
windows and blind recesses as described above except in the S.
wing where, on the upper floor, modern windows replace
small windows, now blocked, probably originally barred, set
high up under the eaves.
The low E. and W. ranges formerly comprised a laundry
and small cells; they are now bathrooms and stores.
The interior is severely plain. The arrangement shown on
the plan is, in the main, repeated on the first floor, but here
some of the partitions in the S. wing are older than those
The brick enclosing wall is 12 ft. high with an offset and
pilaster-buttresses at intervals inside. On the W., towards the
N. end, is a carriage-way with massive piers and, nearer the
middle, a shallow projection containing an arcade of two blind
arches flanking a doorway, all uniform and with round heads;
the doorway gives access through the low W. range to a side
door in the main block. Symmetrically on the E. is a similar
blind arch in a projection of the wall to Napier Street. A stone
tablet in the S. wall is inscribed 'This wall and the ground on
which it stands belong wholly to the Cambridge Refuge July
1841. This stone was replaced March 1884'.
(92) Former Union Workhouse, Chesterton, standing on the S.W. side of Union Lane, 195 yds. from High
Street, is now Chesterton Hospital. It is of one and three
storeys, with walls of gault brick, stone dressings, and
slate-covered roofs. The purchase deed for the land is
dated 17 October 1836. Mr. Bell's tender for the building
for £5,716, to John Smith's designs, was accepted the
same year. Completed probably in 1838, some modifications, in particular the enlargement of the N.W. end
range, were made either during building or very soon
after. Subsequently many of the iron casement-windows
have been replaced by sashes and the kitchen has been
enlarged. In modern times extensive additions have
involved the destruction of most of the boundary-wall.
Much of the original building survives and is of
interest in the context of social history. It is one of a
number of Workhouses in England, with a remarkable
plan devised for this special purpose, inspired by
Sampson Kempthorne's designs accompanying the First
Report of the Poor Law Commissioners of 1835. The
details in the Tudor style here are Smith's applications.
The plan of the Workhouse consists of a cross with equal
arms extending from a central octagon and ending in short
ranges at right angles to them. The N.E. range contains the
main entrance and a Boardroom above; it is flanked by low
detached buildings, L-shaped on plan, bordering a forecourt.
The octagon, containing the main Kitchen on the ground floor
and the Master's Lodging above, is slightly higher than the
three-storey wings and ends in a low-pitched pyramidal roof.
The N.E. front of the entrance-range is the only one of any
elaboration; it is in four bays, the middle two projecting
slightly under a single gable, and has a stone plat-band at first-floor level, an eaves-cornice of oversailing courses of brickwork
and a plain gable-parapet rising from moulded stone kneelers.
The doorway in the middle and the windows have four-centred heads, the first having a rusticated stone architrave;
the original door is in two panelled leaves. The other elevations
are generally solely functional.
The interior, which is more or less altered, is for the greater
part severely plain. The stone staircases have plain iron
balustrades. The Boardroom has a cornice, moulded timber
skirtings, window-surrounds and doorcases, all original. The
Kitchen is covered with parallel segmental brick barrel-vaults
on four segmental arches. The stack of the central fireplace is
carried up through the middle of the Master's Lodging above
where it is the central feature of a small square diagonally-set
hall; from this last access is gained to small polygonal rooms
and an entirely plain angular staircase. The fireplaces in the
Lodging have fluted timber surrounds with bosses at the
(93) Former Storey's Almshouses consist of two
separate groups; the first group, of four dwellings, now
shops and tenements, stands on the S. side of Northampton Street, 120 yds. W. of Magdalene Street; the second
60 yds. to E.S.E. of the first, in Tan Yard. They are of
two storeys, the first with attics. The walls are of red
brick; the roofs are tiled. The Almshouses were founded
from a bequest of Edward Storey of Cambridge, bookseller, who died in 1693, for four widows of ministers
of the Church of England, two widows and one
maiden from the parish of St. Giles and three widows
from Holy Trinity. The first group, for the clergymen's
widows, was built in 1729 and the S.E. wing extended
to provide an additional dwelling shortly after.
The second group consists of a range of six dwellings.
It is probably in part the building, shown freestanding
here in Loggan's map of Cambridge of 1688, which was
a stable (31 Report of the Commissioners for inquiring
concerning Charities (1837), 55). The ground floor is
earlier than 1688 but the loftier upper floor was built or
rebuilt in 1729. New Almshouses were provided on
another site in 1844 (see below).
The group by Northampton Street is L-shaped on plan and
comprises four dwellings. The wing aligned with the street is
gabled at each end, though the S.W. gable-end is masked by an
adjacent building; the S.E. wing is gabled at the free S.E. end.
At first-floor level is a continuous plat-band, except where
interrupted by a modern shop-front on the N.W.; upper platbands extend across both the free gable-ends at eaves-level. On
the later extension the lower plat-band is deeper than elsewhere,
of three courses, as opposed to two. The openings have flat
brick arches and the larger windows are for the most part
fitted with later sliding casements or double-hung sashes; small
rectangular windows light the closets. On the roofs are four
hipped dormer-windows, one of the two on the S.E. wing
retaning an original leaded casement. The three chimneystacks are largely rebuilt.
The interior retains original stop-chamfered ceiling-beams,
those in the 1729 building with scroll-stops. The original
arrangement seems to have provided a lobby, living-room and
closet on the ground floor, and a bedroom and closet above
reached by a stair flanking the chimney. The party-walls are of
stud, lath and plaster. A number of 18th-century plank doors
with original hinges remain.
The group in Tan Yard has a plat-band at first-floor level
and to a height of six courses below this the walling is of 17th-century brickwork, the bricks being thinner and more vitrified
than those above. The ground-floor openings have segmental
arches with solid tympana above later rectangular timber door
and window-frames, the latter with sliding casements; one S.
window retains an original two-light frame. For the rest the
features are generally similar to those described in the first
Inside, the ground-floor ceiling-beams are square and of
heavy scantling. The dwellings each included an entrance and
staircase-lobby to the N. and a living-room to the S. on the
ground-floor, a bedroom above. The diagonal fireplaces on the
ground floor have timber eared surrounds, and those above
plain segmental heads; an inserted late 18th or early 19th-century surround in No. 6 Tan Yard is moulded and with
paterae at the angles. The 18th-century doors are in two
Storey's Almhouses stand at the N.W. end of the
site bounded by Mount Pleasant, Pleasant Row and
Shelly Row. They are in two groups, of six and nine
dwellings, of two storeys, with walls of yellow brick
with freestone dressings and slated roofs. They were
built in 1844 in the Tudor style (see above).
Each group forms a range symmetrically designed towards
the front, with a plinth, a moulded string at first floor sill-level,
a parapet-string and parapet-wall with moulded coping;
projecting porches with plain parapets contain paired entrances
with four-centred arches. At Mount Pleasant the three porches
are set against slight projections of the main wall-face that are
continued up to finish in small gables containing blank shields.
The ground-floor windows are of three mullioned and transomed lights; the upper are of two and three lights. At the
roof-ridges are chimney-stacks with grouped shafts on
Inside, each dwelling has two main rooms on the ground
floor and two above.
(94) Wray's Almshouses stand on the N. side of
King Street, 85 yds. E. of the turn into Hobson Street.
They are of two storeys, with brick walls, stucco-faced
towards the street, and tile-covered roofs. A panel on the
building is inscribed to the effect that Henry Wray,
late of Cambridge, stationer, by his will proved 17 April
1629 gave these houses to be a hospital for the reception
of four poor widowers and widows and gave also some
lands and tenements towards the maintenance thereof;
and that eight tenements here were rebuilt in 1838 by
the Trustees, whose names are listed. The Almshouses
now consist of a straight range of four dwellings
towards the street dated 1698, but remodelled in 1838,
pierced by a passage to a courtyard on the N. flanked by
ranges each of four dwellings wholly of 1838.
The S. front of the earlier range has a plain plastered plinth
and parapet-wall, the last with a panel inscribed 1698. It is
symmetrical; the lofty archway to the through-passage in the
middle has a chamfered four-centred head and the two doorways to each side have timber frames with heads of the same
form with sunk spandrels. Three of the four ground-floor
windows have fixed glazing of small panes with one pane
hinged to open; the fourth window has a modern frame. The
six upper windows are of three timber-framed lights with
casements; they flank the inscription-panel referred to above.
The back wall where not concealed by 19th-century additions
is of red brick; the N. sides of the chimney-stacks are without
rendering and the easternmost contains two sunk panels with
arched heads of early 18th-century character. The ranges to
the courtyard are of gault brick; they are similar to the industrial type of housing of the period and without features of
note. The interiors of the dwellings are plain.
(95) Jakenett's Almshouses stand on the S. side of
King Street opposite Belmont Place. They are of two
storeys with walls of gault brick with red brick dressings
and tile-covered roofs. A panel on the building has an
inscription recording that Thomas Jakenett, formerly a
burgess of Cambridge, and Agnes his wife founded an
Almshouse in 1469 on the S. side of Great St. Mary's
churchyard; that it was taken down in consequence of
an Act of Parliament for paving and lighting the town,
and rebuilt on this site in 1790 at the joint expense of the
University and the parishioners of Great St. Mary's. In
B.M. Add. MSS. 9412 f. 314 is an undated note [3 Feb.
1808?] that John Carter contracted for two tenements
for the almshouses containing a room each for eight
poor persons for £210.
The late 18th-century building consists of a single long range
with a small gabled projection in the middle of the S. side. The
street front is severely plain; it is symmetrically designed, with
two doorways and four windows on the ground floor and four
windows on the first floor. All the openings have flat brick
arches and the windows contain timber frames of three lights
with four-centred heads to the fitted casements. Midway
between the floors, centrally, is the stone inscription-panel
referred to above in a recess with segmental brick arch and sill;
a second similar panel inserted over the E. doorway records
an endowment by Joseph Merrill in 1805 of £166, the
dividends to be distributed among the inhabitants of the Almshouses.
Inside are small staircase-halls flanked on each floor by bedsitting rooms. Small extensions were made at each end of the
S. side in the 19th century.
(96) Victoria Homes stand on the N. side of Victoria
Road, 170 yds. N.W. of the junction of Milton Road
with Chesterton Road. The main building is of two
storeys, with walls of white brick and slate-covered
roofs. The Cambridge Victoria Friendly Society was
founded in 1837 to provide almshouses for decayed
members of benefit societies. The first homes were in
cottages in James Street, Barnwell. In 1841 the range
described below was built; it was designed by George
Bradwell (C. H. Cooper, Memorials of Cambridge III,
177). After 1850 further accommodation was provided
in separate groups of single-storey dwellings.
The building of 1841 consists of a single elongated range with
a wide carriage-way through the middle. Both the N. and S.
sides are symmetrically designed; each has a plinth, a plat-band
at first-floor level interrupted by two colossal Roman Doric
pilasters flanking the centre bay, and a deep projecting band at
the wall-head representing the architrave and frieze of an
entablature of which the boxed eaves form the cornice, the
whole returning across the centre bay as the entablature of the
order and pedimented. For the rest, the centrepiece has on the
ground floor a wide archway with segmental head springing
from stucco imposts, on the first floor a wide sash-hung window
with tripartite timber frame, 'Cambridge Victoria Homes'
painted on the entablature, and a clock in the tympanum
flanked by the painted legend 'Estd. 1837'. The doorways to
the dwellings have round brick arches and stucco imposts; the
windows have flat brick arches, double-hung sashes and stone
The interior arrangement to each side of the through-way
consists of small staircase-halls the full width of the range, with
doorways in both external walls, alternating with main rooms,
and all intercommunicating. The whole has been modernised.
(97) Old Perse School, now part of the University
Department of Physical Chemistry, stands on the E. side
of Free School Lane towards the southern end. It is of
two storeys, with walls of brick and tile-covered roofs.
The School was founded under the terms of the will
of Stephen Perse, M.D., Senior Fellow of Gonville and
Caius College, who died in 1615, and completed
presumably by February 1623–4 when rules for
governance were drawn up. The building consisted of a
range running N. and S. with two W. wings, which
formed three sides of a court open to Free School Lane.
It was much altered in 1841–2 and bought by the
University in 1890 when it ceased to be used for the
Only the N. to S. range (22 ft. by 70 ft.) of the 17th-century
School building remains identifiable. The W. front is entirely
concealed by modern laboratories. The N. and S. ends have
parapeted gables and are faced with 19th-century white
brickwork; all the openings are of 1841 or modern. The E. side
has the lower part masked, the upper faced with 19th-century
brick and pierced for access to a modern E. wing.
The interior of the range is divided into two storeys by a
modern floor. Recent alterations have exposed the walls in
section; the original brickwork is 1½ ft. thick, with a 19th-century 9 ins. brick facing. The timber roof is divided into five
bays over all by restored 17th-century hammer-beam trusses.
These last spring from moulded stone corbels and have
moulded pendants below the hammer-posts and centrally
under each collar between arched braces; the spandrels are
filled with pierced scroll-work and the bays are ceiled in plaster
at collar-beam level. The trusses are copied in the modern E.
(98) Former National School, now garage and
workshop, stands on the N. side of King Street some
30 yds. W. of Belmont Place. It is of two storeys; the
walls are of white brick and the low-pitched roofs are
slate-covered. It was built in 1816 (Camb. Chronicle
23 Feb. 1816). Adjoining on the S. is a small contemporary dwelling, probably for the teacher.
The School building is rectangular on plan, gabled to N. and
S. The longer sides are divided into five bays by pilasterbuttresses the height of the ground floor and have three oversailing courses of brickwork at the eaves. Those windows
unaltered here and in the teacher's dwelling are sash-hung.
The whole is built with the severest economy. The interiors
have been remodelled.
(99) Former Pound Hill School with teacher's
house, now a medical centre and private dwelling
respectively, stand on the N. side of Pound Hill some
50 yds. N.W. of Northampton Street. The two adjoin
and are of one build though separately roofed. The
first is of one storey with cellars, the second of two
storeys and a basement. The walls are of brick;
the low-pitched roofs are slated. In 1810 tenders were
invited for the supply of building materials and in
March 1811 the School was described as 'lately established'. (Camb. Chronicle 13 July 1810, 2 March 1811).
Additions were made later.
The School building is rectangular on plan, orientated S.E.
and N.W., with the teacher's house on the N.W. end. The
additions at the opposite end are of the later 19th and 20th
centuries. The S.W. side is in five bays; the centre bay projects
and has a stepped stone blocking-course inscribed 'Free School
supported by voluntary contributions'. All the windows on
this side have been enlarged except the one in the N.W. bay,
with square head, stone sill and double-hung sashes. The end
walls are masked. The N.E. side is divided into bays by
pilaster-strips as shown on the plan; it retains the original
entrance doorway and five original windows.
Pound Hill School
Inside, the roof of the main schoolroom is divided by
trusses into seven bays; a wider eighth bay over the classroom
to the S.E. is spanned by a longitudinal truss supporting the
hip of the roof. Various partitions and a chimney have been
inserted in modern times.
The Teacher's House is severely plain outside and in except
for the pilaster-strips on the N.W. and N.E., as shown on the
plan; the entrance door-case is of timber, with fluted architrave, roundels at the corners and a shallow hood. The
windows have double-hung sashes. The staircase is original,
with plain balusters; spanning the passage behind it is a semi-circular arch springing from console-brackets.
(100) Former Infant School with teacher's house,
now a store, off the N.W. side of Albion Row, near
Mount Pleasant, has walls of gault brick and slate-covered roofs. It is of one storey and was built probably
c. 1825. (References to Infant Schools, Camb. Chronicle
28 April, 8 Dec. 1826). Later alterations and additions
have been made.
The building is rectangular on plan and consists of a large
schoolroom with a teacher's house on the N.W. end; the two
are of one build but separately roofed. The first is lit by three
sash-hung windows on each side and is open to the roof, which
has three king-post trusses. The Teacher's House, entered from
the schoolroom through a doorway in the middle of the N.W.
wall of the latter, has had all the internal walls and floors etc.
(101) National School stands on the S. side of
Russell Street, 160 yds. from Hills Road. It is of two
storeys, with walls of gault brick with stone dressings
and slate-covered roofs. The School was established in
1845, presumably on rented land, for the site was given
in 1847 (C. H. Cooper, Memorials of Cambridge III,
163–4). Subsequently two S. extensions have been made,
the first replacing most of an original single-storey
projection, and the boys' entrance-porch has been
enlarged and heightened to two storeys. In 1952 the
girls' timber staircase was replaced by one of concrete.
The original building contains one large schoolroom on
each floor, a staircase across the N. end, and lateral N.W. and
N.E. porches. The N. front to the street is of some architectural pretension although the narrow single-flight staircase
intervenes between it and the schoolrooms. It is pedimented
and has three tall round-headed arched recesses on the ground
floor, blind below the returned impost-band and originally
pierced above, with tall keystones rising to a brick plat-band
at first-floor level interrupted in the middle by a stone panel
inscribed 'National School'. The first-floor windows have
segmental brick arches, stone sills and double-hung sashes. The
timber cornice is continuous round the building and in the
tympanum of the pediment is a round louvred opening. The
entrances to the porches have low elliptical arches with stone
imposts and keystones, these last rising to panels in returns of
the main impost-band inscribed 'Boys' in one, 'Girls' in the
The schoolrooms are lit by five segmental-headed windows
down each side. The original S. end is masked. The later 19th-century S. extension incorporates in the lower part of the W
wall some original walling in continuation of the main W.
Inside, the boys' schoolroom is divided into five bays by
plain pilasters and tie-beams; the beams have the further
support of staggered cast-iron columns down the middle of
the room. In the S.W. corner is the doorway, now disused, to
the former S. projection. The girls' schoolroom is spanned by
The original massive brick and stone piers of the two gates
to the street survive. They are linked by a dwarf wall and have
brick plinths and necking courses and stone caps with flat
pyramidal tops. All the original ironwork has been removed.
(102) School, in Chesterton, on the N. side of High
Street, 35 yds. N.E. of Ferry Lane, is of one storey. The
walls are of brick, the roofs slate-covered. It was built
The school is T-shaped on plan. The main cross-range is
gabled and has in the S.E. gable-end a panel inscribed 'School
Rooms in union with the National Society in 1844'. Additions
have been made subsequently on the N.W. side of the N.E.
wing. The building is severely plain.
(103) School, in Trumpington, on the N. side of
Church Lane, 86 yds. E. by N. of the parish church, is
of one storey with brick walls and tile-covered roofs.
A letter in the Cambridge Chronicle of 22 July 1843 refers
to it as recently built.
The original schoolroom some 20 ft. by 36 ft. is half obscured outside by extensive later additions; it is gabled to N.
and S. and has a moulded brick plinth. The E. wall is divided
into three bays by weathered buttresses and in each bay is a
window-opening with depressed triangular head containing
a timber frame comprising three lights with trefoiled openings. The window in the N. wall is similar to the foregoing
in design but larger. The position of the original entrance is
not certainly identifiable..The inside has been modernised.