33 PAPWORTH EVERARD
(O.S. 6 ins. TL 26 S.E.)
Papworth Everard takes its name from Evrard de
Beche (d. 1175); it has also been distinguished from the
twin settlement to the N. by the epithets 'Little',
The village seems to have started along a small
comparatively steep-sided valley between the church
(Monument (1)) and a spring at N.G. TL 28356235 (see
Monument (6) Village remains). The site is only a
short distance W. of Ermine Street.
The parish of 1157 acres has comparatively regular
boundaries on the E. and S.W. On the N.W. it is
divided from Papworth St. Agnes by the road to the
N. from Gamlingay and Eltisley. The land, varying in
altitude from over 217 ft. to about 70 ft., drains by
small streams flowing N. Oxford clay predominates,
except for an area of glacial gravel W. of the church.
When the parish was enclosed by act of 1815 (map
of 1818 in C.R.O.) it was almost entirely in one ownership; and the open-field system, remains and traces of
which are described below (Monument (8)), had
already disappeared. A pattern of concentric field
boundaries radiating to the N. and E. from the vicinity
of a moated site (Monument (7)) taken with field names
(map of 1825 in C.R.O.) suggests successive emparking.
This has obviously at one time extended beyond the
Ermine Street to the W.
The present direct line of the main road through the
parish follows the Roman road. Field boundaries on the
O.S. 6 ins. and small irregularities in the boundary with
Papworth St. Agnes, now adjusted, suggest that there
has been at one time a N. and S. route along the ridge
between N.G. TL 289622 and 281639, passing immediately E. of the churchyard. Short lengths of this road
still survived in 1813 (map, B.M. Add. MS. 36278 E);
these had diminished by 1818 and today even the field
boundaries have been grubbed up. Between 1820 and
1825 there were evidently proposals for realigning the
turnpike approximately on this old course (Baker's map
of Cambridgeshire, 1821) but these were apparently
dropped. Re-enlargement of the park to form a worthy
setting for the recently erected Papworth Hall (Monument (2)) may have been the reason. Something of the
same sort could account for the original diversion,
although Papworth's exceptionally tenacious and
slippery soil must always have made the going difficult
along the ancient highway.
There are few monuments in the village which is
dominated by a large hospital and related modern
development. A strip of land in the extreme S. of the
parish beyond the St. Neots road was occupied in
1825 by a planned agricultural colony, with allotments
in a field to the N.E. on the boundary with Eltisley;
the buildings no longer exist, although the strip is still
(1) Parish Church of St. Peter stands in a churchyard which has been extended on all sides owing to the
pressure of modern burials. It was virtually rebuilt in
1850 at the expense of W. H. Cheere, and others, in
memory of his mother. It was lengthened W. in 1870.
The fabric had already been extensively damaged in
1741 when the tower fell 'after a very great storm'
(B.M. Add. MS. 5810, 81). The foundations of this
tower are reported to have been found in 1870 when
the W. extension of the nave was under construction.
The walls of the chancel and nave, including the
buttresses, are however of 13th-century origin, with the
exception of the E. wall of the chancel, which is
probably of the 17th century, and the W. bay of the
nave. The latter incorporates reused mediaeval material
in the plinth, buttresses and jambs of the W. window.
Papworth Everard, the Parish Church of Saint Peter
Fittings—Bell: small, by Joseph Eayre, 1743; a faculty for
disposing of the earlier bells was applied for in the previous
year. Font: plain octagonal bowl and stem, 13th-century.
Monuments: In nave—on N. wall (1) of Edward Morden,
1812, his wife Charlotte, 1861, and his sons John Atterbury
Morden, 1826, and William Morden, 1839; on S. wall (2) of
Charles Madryll Cheere, 1825, neo-Greek wall monument
by Gaffin, London; (3) of 'remains of 28 persons in the family
line of the late Edward Morden', buried between 23 Nov.
1634 and 24 March 1839; tablet dated 1850. In churchyard—
to S.E. of chancel (4) broken 17th-century headstone, inscription not read; W. of tower (5) of Charles Madryll Cheere,
as in (2) above, table tomb. Tiles, in the chancel, of c. 1850,
record three other burials. Plate: includes a cup, paten, alms-dish
and flagon, all London 1843, inscribed and presented in that
year. Table: with turned legs, moulded front stretcher, top
rail chip-carved and with shaped brackets; 17th-century. Tiles:
in chancel, composition with roundels of the Lamb of God,
and emblems of the evangelists; inscription on the risers of
the steps records the rebuilding of the church in 1850, the
tiles themselves being approximately of that date.
(2) Papworth Hall, designs for which by George
Byfield were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1809,
was built for Charles Madryll Cheere (d. 1825).
Some alterations have been made in the early years of
the present century, and more recently to accommodate
the administration of Papworth Hospital.
The house is two-storeyed, square on plan, of brick covered
with stucco; low slated roofs are masked by a parapet above
a moulded cornice. The windows generally are sashes, those
on the ground floor being taller than those above.
The W. or principal front has an Ionic portico with four
giant unfluted columns rising to a pedimented entablature,
the cornice of which returns from the main face. A single
flanking bay either side has ground-floor windows divided
into a pedimented central and narrower side lights under a
blind segmental head. The front door is in two leaves, each
of three panels, the middle of which is circular; the rectangular
fanlight has a cast-iron frame and projecting lantern.
The S. elevation is in seven bays, three of which form a
slightly projecting pedimented centre piece; a semicircular
porch, supported on two free-standing Roman Doric columns
and two corresponding attached half shafts, has a garlanded
frieze rising to a cast-iron railing; access to the balcony so
created is by a larger window with consoles supporting a
shallow hood. The E. elevation has a central recessed portico
of two giant unfluted Ionic columns with pilastered antae;
the side pieces are each of two bays. Both porticos have added
first-floor balconies. On the N. are lower offices, original
but much altered.
The interior is divided into three compartments by two
E. and W. spine walls. The W. portico leads into an Entrance
Hall, floored with grey marble, the E. end divided off by two
Ionic columns in scagliola simulating red porphyry with
corresponding pilasters in the two side and end walls. This E.
compartment is lit by a circular aperture in the ceiling enclosed
on the first floor by a balustrade. To the S. of this compartment is an oblong ante-room (Plate 134) the two ends of which
have rounded angles with niches, and are divided off in each
case by a pair of Corinthian columns in yellow scagliola
supporting an enriched entablature. Over the niches at the
S. end are small panels depicting festive scenes in grisaille.
Double doors in the side walls lead E. and W. into principal
rooms; that to the E. has an enriched fireplace surround of
white marble. The ante-room is balanced on the N. by a
stair with stone treads, cast-iron balustrade enriched with leaf
patterns and geometrical figures, and mahogany rail.
N. of the domestic wing are a laundry and stables, more or
less contemporary with the house, but much altered.
(3) Houses, a pair, two-storeyed, with framed and plastered
walls and half-hipped thatched roof.
(4) School and School House, built to a Class-B design,
of white brick with thatched roofs, and dated 1843. The main
range was open to the collars and served as a class room
approached through the front room of the E. cross wing.
The W. cross wing is somewhat the larger, and presumably
housed the master. The S. elevation is symmetrical, with side
porches, three-sided ground-floor bays to either gable end
and octagonal chimney stacks at the junction of the main
range and wings.
(5) Rectory, now alienated, main block two-storeyed,
of Class-U plan but with service wing to N. of two storeys
and attic; the whole of brick with hipped slate roofs; c. 1840.
S. front symmetrically arranged in three bays with sash
windows having marginal panes; to the E. on the ground
floor an original semicircular bay with curved sash window.
(6) Village Remains (not on O.S.), on either side of a steepsided valley, S. of the church and around a spring at N.G.
TL 28356235. Early 19th-century maps suggest that some
occupation continued until a late date. The most conspicuous
feature is a hollow-way 30 ft. wide on the S. boundary of the
churchyard, where there is a scarp 4 ft. high and 260 ft. long;
the degraded S. edge, 3 ft. high, is in a field to the S., now
arable. S. of the hollow-way, pottery of the 12th to the 14th
centuries have been found and there are 13th- to 14th-century
sherds W. of the stream around N.G. TL 283623, perhaps
indicating house sites.
(7) Moated site (Class A1 (c); N.G. TL 290628), on the crest
of a low hill of boulder clay overlooking Ermine Street
120 yds. E.N.E. of Papworth Hall. It has been identified as the
seat of Evrard de Beche (V.C.H., Cambs. II, 37).) The circular
moat is 165 ft. in internal diameter. The steep-sided ditch,
35 ft. to 40 ft. wide, 12 ft. deep, V-shaped and partly wet, is
crossed by two causeways on the axis of a vista from the
house, 42 ft. wide, W., and 13 ft. wide, E. The tithe map of
1825 shows an entrance by a bridge from the N.W. Alterations due to gardening make it difficult to know what was the
original form of the earthwork; the sides of the ditch are
planted with trees and the interior is a garden.
(8) Cultivation Remains (not on O.S.). Ridge and furrow
100 yds. to 230 yds. long, 7 yds. to 11 yds. wide and 9 ins.
high remains in three places, in each case running N.W. and
S.E.: in the park around N.G. TL 295634, 18 curving ridges;
around 288629, 20 curving ridges; and around 289625, two
almost complete furlongs of 20 straight and 23 reversed-S
ridges. Almost the whole open-field lay-out of blocks of
curving ridge and furrow, much of it reversed-S, can be
seen on air photographs; around the church and Fir Tree
Farm the traces appear to be those of old enclosures. In 1813
there were three fields, called 'London Brook', 'Wood
Brook' and 'South Brook'.
(Ref: map of 1813 (B.M. Add. MS. 36278 E); enclosure
map 1818 (C.R.O.); tithe map 1825 (T.R.C.); air photographs:
106G/UK/1490/3230–3, 3252–6, 4343–5.)