(O.S. 6 ins. aTL 45 N.E., bTL 55 N.W.)
The parish of only 1221 acres lies immediately to the E.
of Cambridge, on almost level chalkland sloping gently
towards Teversham Fen on the N.E. and the Caudle
Ditch on the S.E. Until modern development took place
the small village consisted of dwellings extending along
a N.W.-S.E. road across the centre of the parish. However, a small rectangular green just E. of the church,
now encroached upon by a 17th-century house (4),
suggests that this was the original centre of the village.
The existence of the moat at Manor Farm (10) shows that
the spread of the village S.E. towards Fulbourn had
already occurred by the end of the medieval period. The
common fields of the parish, together with the former
waste of Teversham Fen, were enclosed in 1815 following an Act of Parliament of 1810.
a(1) Parish Church of All Saints (Fig. 122; Plate 17)
stands at the N.W. end of the village. The walls of field
stones, flint and clunch, with limestone and clunch
dressings, are partly cement-rendered. The roofs are
tiled. The church consists of a Chancel, Nave with North
and South Aisles, West Tower and South Porch. The
chancel and the nave with aisles were built early in the
13th century. In the late 14th century the aisles were
rebuilt slightly wider than before; the roofs were made
continuous with the nave roof, so obscuring the 13th-century clearstoreys. At the same date the chancel arch
was rebuilt. The W. tower was added within the W.
bay of the nave and partly to the west of it, in the early
15th century. A vestry, on the N. side of the chancel
and evidently of the 15th century, does not survive.
The chancel was repaired in 1863 (Ecclesiologist, XXIV)
but proposals for lowering the aisle roofs in c. 1888
under J. P. St. Aubyn (C.A.S. Procs. XXXV (1935), 85)
were not carried out. Restoration work has affected the
exterior to a greater extent than the interior, where the
elaborate 13th-century arcades are preserved largely
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¾ ft. by 14¾ ft.)
of the 13th century is without plinths or buttresses. It has an
E. gable parapet and plain eaves. The E. window is modern.
In the N. wall is a 15th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs, moulded four-centred head and a segmental rear-arch
on the N.; the vestry it served has been destroyed. To the W.
is a 13th-century lancet with externally rebated jambs, and a
14th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the chamfered rear-arch rests
awkwardly on the splayed jambs, the E. of which, in smaller
stones, may be 13th-century. In the S. wall are three windows:
the first, of the 14th century, has two trefoiled ogee lights,
demi-quatre-foiled tracery in a square head, with continuousmoulded splays and pointed segmental rear-arch; the second is
much renewed except for splays and chamfered rear-arch,
which are clumsily related; the third, of the early 14th century,
has one trefoiled light with continuous-moulded external
jambs and a transom, below which is a 'low-side' with chamfered and rebated surround. Two external cement-rendered
projections at plinth level are of unknown origin. The chancel
arch has three moulded orders, the two outer being chamfered
and continuous, but with a recessed chamfer above the springing, and the inner rising from semi-octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals; the responds with roll-moulded bases are
mostly in limestone and of the late 13th century but the arch
and capitals, in clunch, are late 14th-century; on the E. of the
S. respond, a hacked-back weathered coping with moulded
ridge, at dado-level, is probably a survival of a former stone
screen of the first period.
Fig. 121 Teversham Village, Map
The Nave (31¼ ft. by 16½ ft.) (Plate 17), of the early 13th
century, has a steeply-pitched roof continuous with those of
the aisles. It has N. and S. arcades, originally of four bays but
now of three. The arches, of two hollow-chamfered orders
with broach-stops on the N. and S., have roll-moulded labels
on the nave side; the octagonal piers have moulded bases,
capitals carved with varieties of stiff-leaf foliage, and round or
octagonal abaci (Plate 36). The E. responds have attached shafts
with roll-moulded bases and tall conical capitals carved with
stiff-leaf foliage, considerably restored. The springing of the
fourth arch survives but the remainder is obliterated by the
later tower (Fig. 123). The 13th-century clearstorey, now
internal, has on N. and S. two windows of horizontal-vesica
shape with splayed jambs and rebated openings, set above the
piers. On the N. of the N.E. respond is the rounded recess of a
former rood-loft stair, perhaps of the 15th century, leading to
an upper doorway in the N. wall of the nave.
The North Aisle (8½ ft. wide), rebuilt and widened in the
14th century, has walls consisting of roughly-coursed limestone rubble in the lower half and squared clunch in the upper;
the relative levels of the clearstorey windows and the top course
of limestone demonstrate that the N. wall of the aisle was
probably rebuilt on a new line, rather than heightened only,
in the 14th century. The limestone may have been reused from
the former aisle wall. Three two-stage weathered buttresses
are mostly coursed with the limestone and clunch of the
aisle wall. All the openings are 14th-century but some are
restorations. In the E. wall is a window with two ogee cinquefoil lights, a quatrefoil in the head and external label with
mask stop; below is an external weathered string-course
extending beyond the jambs. The first window in the N. wall,
of one cinque-foiled light, continuous-moulded rear-arch and
jambs with moulded stops, is set low in the wall. The second,
completely restored except for sill, has two cinque-foiled lights
with tracery in a segmental head, moulded rear-arch and external string as in the E. window. The N. doorway has
moulded jambs and a label. In the W. wall is a two-light window of 14th-century character, much restored; below is an
external moulded string-course. In the S. wall and set in the
clasping buttress of the tower is a rounded corbel, presumably
for a roof timber; it aligns with horizontal set-backs above the
clearstorey suggesting a heightening of the arcade walls and reroofing of nave and aisles at a slightly higher level in the 19th
century. A similar corbel exists in the S. aisle.
Fig. 122 Teversham (1), The Parish Church of All Saints
The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide), rebuilt and widened in the
14th century as on the N. but with a greater use of clunch, has
walls of squared clunch with the lower courses of limestone
and flint. The S.E. and S.W. lateral buttresses, of one stage
with weathered tops, are perhaps 15th-century additions. The
S. openings are largely late 19th-century but the limestone
window-sills and a moulded string-course immediately below
them are 14th-century. The S. doorway is much renewed.
The South Porch has clunch walls with limestone lower
courses which are integral with the aisle walls and include
reused moulded medieval fragments. The archway and roof
are late 19th-century.
The West Tower (9 ft. by 10 ft.), of the early 15th century,
has three stages with wide clasping buttresses rising to the base
of the belfry stage, stepped parapet and gargoyles. The ground
stage has moulded plinths. The weathercourse of the steeplypitched nave roof survives on the E.; the roof appears to have
been raised in the 19th century and is set close to the weathercourse. The tower arch, set in reveals formed by the clasping
buttresses, has two chamfered orders, the outer continuous on
the E. but dying into the side-walls on the W., and the inner
springing from attached shafts with moulded caps and bases.
The stair in the S.W. turret has a doorway with a chamfered
four-centred head. The 15th-century W. window has three
cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery and a label. In the
N., S. and W. walls of the second stage is a small rectangular
light with double-chamfered jambs. The belfry-stage has in
each wall a window of two cinque-foiled lights, a quatrefoil
between vertical bars in the head and a label with beast-head
stops. The ground-stage of the tower has a boarded ceiling
with ribs forming sixteen panels painted in red, green and white
with conventional flowers, the four middle panels containing
shields: two bearing a crown and two the sacred monogram in
black-letter; probably early 16th-century, but restored in
The Roofs are late 19th-century.
Fittings—Bells: one, by Taylor of St. Neots, 1799. Bell
frame: for three bells, probably medieval. Bier: oak, with drop
handles, 19th-century. Coffin lid: fragment with simple
foliated cross, perhaps 13th-century. Door: to ringing-chamber,
two oak planks, nail-studded with two long hinges now
reversed, and lock-plate, 15th-century. Font: octagonal limestone lead-lined bowl with rounded under-edge, octagonal
clunch stem with moulded cap and chamfered base; the much-restored and recut bowl is perhaps 13th-century but the stem
is 15th-century. Glass: in W. window of tower, fragments of
canopies and borders, reset in tracery and main lights, 15th-century.
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: In chancel—(1), of
John Brocklebank B.D., 1843, white marble tablet, by
Tomson and Son, Cambridge. At W. end of S. aisle—(2)
(Plate 46), of Edward Styward (d. 1596) and Margaret (Kirby)
his wife, set up by Thomas Jermy, husband of their surviving
child Joan, tomb chest of alabaster and other marbles, with
effigies of a man in Greenwich armour on rolled rush-mattress,
and of a woman with head on cushion; the tomb chest with
the N. side of two bays having middle and angle pilasters,
moulded base and primitive gadrooned edge to slab, has
achievement of arms on E., two shields of arms on N. and
inscription tablet on W.; the achievement has shield of fourteen quarters: 1 Styward or Steward (a lion rampant debruised
by a bend ragulée), 2 Styward (a fesse checky), 3 Boreley (three
boars' heads), 4 Walkfare (a lion rampant), 5 Baskerville (a chevron
between three hurts), 6 Bestney (a lion rampant crowned), 7 unidentified (a tower), 8 unidentified (a two-headed eagle displayed),
9 Spenlow (a cross flory between four martlets), 10 unidentified
(quarterly of nine, fleurs-de-lis in each), 11 FitzGeffrey (three lions
passant), 12 Beruen (a lion rampant guardant within a border
engrailed), 13 Blackney (a chevron between three leopards' heads),
14 unidentified (a griffin); the other shields are (1) for Styward
with fourteen quarters as above, impaling Kirby (a lion ram-pant), and (2) for Kirby alone. The monument originally stood
in the N. aisle (Palmer, Inscriptions and Arms from Cambs., 168;
Parker, Ecc. Top. Cambs. No. 74). In churchyard—headstones
include five carved with floral swags and emblematic decoration, of the second half of the 18th century; also a rectangular
pedestal with urn, of 1843. Floor slabs: in chancel—(1), of 'J.B.',
rector 1843, for John Brocklebank; (2), of Catherine Ashley,
1844; (3), of Ellen Ashley, 1846. In nave—(4), of John Rant,
1696, and Johan (Jermy) his wife, 1663, black ledger with
achievement of arms of Rant impaling Jermy; (5), of Thomas
Fig. 123 Teversham Church
South arcade: south side of third bay
Piscinae: in chancel—(1), recess with buttressed jambs, trefoiled and sub-cusped ogee head with crockets, rising into a
cresting of pierced arcading of three cinque-foiled openings,
15th-century. In N. aisle—(2), in N. wall, recess with moulded
jambs, ogee trefoiled head and sex-foiled drain, 14th-century.
In S. aisle—(3), in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head, 14th-century but much restored. Plate (Plate 62): cup (ht. 7½ ins.)
with baluster stem, London 1638; cover-paten, inscribed as
gift of Ralph Witty, rector, early 18th-century. Pulpit (Plate
61): oak, octagonal, sides panelled in three heights, the lowest
fluted, the middle carved with conventional leaf-design and
the upper with guilloche ornament, dentilled cornice; early
17th-century, on modern stone base, purchased in 1891 from
Cherry Hinton church (Churches of Cambs. (1845), Pl. opp. 22).
Screen (Plate 57): under chancel-arch, oak, of six bays, the
centre two amalgamated by a four-centred septfoiled and sub-cusped arch over entrance; each bay has a cinque-foiled ogee
and sub-cusped arch above which are two tiers of tracery in a
four-centred head; the lower parts of the side mullions have
been removed. The dado is blind-panelled: N. of the entrance
are four trefoiled sub-cusped panels with foliated spandrels
and brattishing, and S. of it, two panels with semicircular
enriched heads of the early 17th century. The screen, which is
carved on both sides, is late 14th- or early 15th-century and
retains some original colouring. For former stone screen, see
Seating: in nave, seven oak benches with moulded rails,
panelled ends and modern buttresses, 15th- or early 16th-century. Sedilia (Plate 38): in chancel, of clunch in three bays with
stepped seats and recesses divided by shafts with moulded
bases and embattled caps, flat arched heads and miniature
vaulted canopies with nodding ogee cinque-foiled and
crocketed heads, somewhat mutilated; the wider E. bay has
canopy of two arches with central shaft and behind the heads
is a stone backing with trefoil-headed piercings; 15th-century.
Squints: in N. and S. responds of chancel arch, slanting
rectangular openings, perhaps 15th-century. Table: in N. aisle,
with turned legs and bracketed top rail, early 18th-century.
b(2) Baptist Chapel, built in 1858, owns a two-handled
silver cup (Plate 63) without stem, of 1720, bearing inscription
stating that it was presented by St. Andrew's Street Church,
Cambridge, in 1921.
a(3) Rectory (Plate 113), of two storeys and white brick
walls, has slated parallel gabled roofs with chimney stacks at
each end. It was designed and built by James Webster in 1819
at the expense of the Rev. John Brocklebank, rector 1817–43,
(C.U.L., C 3/21, Churchwardens' presentments, 1836) at a cost
of £2000 (Church Commissioners' Records). The former
parsonage house, which stood to the E., seems to have remained until the completion of the present building (C.A.S.,
two watercolours by Relhan). The S. elevation, in four bays,
has sash windows and a moulded timber eaves cornice concealing the gutter. The entrance is centrally-placed at the W.
end beneath the roof-valley; the flanking gable walls have
blind window recesses behind the chimney stacks. Later
additions on the E. and N. have been removed, so restoring
the building to its former rectangular shape. The plan conforms to the pattern of parsonage houses of the time by
providing an incumbent's study close to the front door. Inside,
the central axial passage separates two main rooms on the S.
from the staircase and lesser rooms on the N. Architectural
interest is given to the passage by round-headed cross-arches
(Plate 98). The door-heads to the main rooms are strangely
low. The S.W. room has a moulded plaster cornice enriched
with key-pattern, and reeded wooden fireplace surround with
angle-roundels. A modern rectangular window replaces a
former round-headed window which lit the plainly-designed
staircase at mezzanine level.
Stables, S.E. of house, of white brick and slated roofs, are
a(4) House, of one storey and attics, timber-framed with
thatched gabled roof, is probably 17th-century; except for the
E. gable it is brick-cased. A single-storey thatched addition on
the S. may be 18th-century. The plan approximates to Class J
but the position of the original entrance is not certain. Inside,
the axial beam of the centre room is cased.
a(5) House, Class J, of two storeys, timber-framing on brick
plinth, with tiled gabled roof, is 17th-century. The E. gable
wall has a first-floor jetty with exposed joists. On the S. are
two additions. The internal chimney stack has four conjoined
diagonal shafts on a square base. A former chimney stack
against the W. gable has been demolished but the stop-chamfered bressummer of the fireplace it served survives internally.
The central and W. rooms have stop-chamfered axial beams;
the cross beam in the E. room is plain. The roof, in five bays,
has collars clasping purlins.
a(6) Teversham Hall (Plate 113), of two storeys with white
brick walls (13½ ins. thick on the ground floor and 9 ins. on the
first floor), and slated roofs behind parapets, has an L-shaped
plan; footings to the rear wing include old red bricks and
large boulders. In 1837 tenders were invited for '. . . taking
down part of Teversham Hall and making certain additions
and alterations in erection of farmhouse and other buildings
. . . Mr. Lane, Teversham, Thomas Ward Archt. London'
(Camb. Chron. 7 Oct. 1837). No part of the earlier building
referred to can be traced although irregularities in the rear
wing may be due to a structure which may have stood against
its E. side; a building is certainly shown on the Enclosure
Map of 1815. The main range on the S. contains a central
stair hall and two large flanking rooms with chimney stacks in
the rear walls; the front and rear wings are separated by a cross
passage, which is single-storey, except for part concealing
water-tanks. The S. front is of five bays, the centre breaking
forward to take a columnar porch, originally with Ionic caps
and bases, and a doorway with rectangular cast-iron fanlight.
Below the plain parapet is a cement-rendered cornice, and a
first-floor platband in cement at sill level; only the lower
windows have sills. The return elevation repeats the theme
with the addition of blind recesses; a doorway to the cross
passage has a fanlight with radial bars. Inside, the stair has plain
balusters, mahogany handrail terminating in central iron newel.
On the first floor is a reeded stone fireplace surround with
angle-roundels, now marbled in dark paint.
a(7) House, of two storeys, brick, perhaps formerly timber-framed, with slated gabled roof, was built in the early 19th century on a Class-I plan to which a wing was later added on the N.
a(8) House, of one storey and attics, timber-framed and
plastered, with pantiled gabled roof, is a single room surviving
from a larger house possibly of the 17th century. A later wing
is on the W. The early part is gabled along the long axis. Inside,
corner posts are traceable; the axial beam is cased.
b(9) House, of two storeys, brick with slated gabled roof,
is a small double-depth dwelling of the early 19th century; the
upper windows have sliding sashes.
b(10) Manor Farm, of two storeys, timber-framing largely
brick-cased, with tiled gabled roofs, has a 17th-century origin
approximating to Class J. Alterations have been considerable
but probably in the 18th century the use of the rooms was
reversed, the former parlour, next to the stack, being rebuilt
and a service wing added at the rear. A passage, axial with the
main range, was added later and in the early 19th century a
small study with lean-to roof behind a high parapet was built
at the W. end. No original features show externally. Inside,
the centre room has 18th-century plaster cornices enriched with
acanthus and reeding. The rear wing, widened by an outshut
on the W., has a stop-chamfered cross beam. Reset, upstairs, is
an early 17th-century door with run-through panelling, carved
upper panel and scrolled iron hinges.
The house stands in the N. corner of a Moated Site (Class A1
(b)) of roughly rectangular shape and two acres in area; it was
formerly bounded by a water-filled ditch 35 ft. wide and 4–6 ft.
deep. The N.E. side and part of the S.E. have been filled in
except at the E. corner. The interior is flat with two modern
depressions within it. On the Enclosure Map of 1815 the moat
is shown complete, with a causewayed entrance in the centre
of the S.E. side. No trace remains of the cross ditch described
by V.C.H. (Cambs. II, 42).
b(11) Terrace of three dwellings, of two storeys, white
brick, with slated roofs, is early 19th-century. The dwellings
are symmetrically arranged, the flanking ones being entered
from the ends. The main elevation in five bays is articulated
by pilasters at the arrises; the gabled outer bays and the central
bay break forward. The windows are sash and the central door
has a panelled door-surround with angle-roundels. The end
houses each have double-depth rooms and the centre block
approximates to Class U.
a(12) Roman Settlement (TL 49965753), lies on chalk at
about 40 ft. above O.D. Large quantities of Roman pottery
including Horningsea and Nene Valley wares, as well as tiles
and building material, have been found.
Medieval and later
For Moat at Manor Farm see (10).
ab(13) Cultivation remains. There were three large common fields around the village before their enclosure in 1815.
Ploughed-out and destroyed ridge and furrow of these fields
can be traced on air photographs in two places. Within Cambridge Airport (around TL 489587) are some 50 acres of ridge
and furrow arranged in rectangular interlocked furlongs up
to 250 yds. long and 7 yds. wide. This area was in the former
Causeway Field. On the S. side of Teversham Fen (TL 506585)
are some 15 acres of ridge and furrow arranged in a reversed-S
curved furlong at least 200 yds. long, and a further 10 acres N.
of Manor Farm (TL 502581) arranged in a C-curved furlong;
these were formerly in Mill Ditch Field.
Ridge and furrow within fields already enclosed in 1815
remains or can be seen in air photographs in many places
immediately around the village. It is usually straight, up to
170 yds. long, 5–7 yds. wide with headlands up to 15 yds.
within the field boundaries. (C.R.O., Enclosure Map and
Award, 1815; air photographs: 106G/UK/1490, 4159–62;
commercial air photographs in N.M.R.)
a(14) Crop marks (TL 49705675), lie in the extreme S. of the
parish, N. of Fulbourn Old Drift on chalk at 50 ft. above
O.D. Air photographs show an incomplete rectangular
ditched enclosure, orientated N.W.-S.E., 240 ft. by 110 ft.
with only slight traces of a S.W. side. (C.U.A.P.)