(10 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
(1) 'Celtic' Fields (SP 180093) covering some 70 acres
are recognisable on the limestone pasture of Bibury old
race-course and on the arable ground immediately to
the S., the whole area being flat or gently sloping. In
the W., the fields which lie S. and S.E. of earthworks
'a' (SP 178092), which appear to be contemporary, are
remarkably well preserved although others have been
broken or obliterated by ploughing, some of it marked
by low plough-ridges 5 yds. wide. The fields formerly
continued in all directions; they are similarly orientated
and were probably continuous with the fields in Eastleach (3), 300 yds. to the S.E. (Plans, pp. 1 and 2.)
'Celtic' fields in Aldsworth and Eastleach.
The fields are bounded by stony banks up to 20 ft.
across and 1 ft. high, probably collapsed walls, and by
lynchets 1½ ft. to 3 ft. high. A double line of collapsed
walls about 4 yds. apart, suggesting a track, runs for
nearly ½ mile N.N.E. through the fields, approximately
parallel with and some ½ mile away from a less well-defined but probably similar line in Eastleach. The
banks are regularly arranged in parallel lines, resulting
in individual fields between 58 yds. and 62 yds. long.
Areas vary from about ⅓ acre to ½ acre. The fields
S.S.E. of 'a' are not less than 80 yds. long and one of
them is only 25 yds. wide. The earthworks at 'a', from
which these fields extend, are undated and incomplete;
their surviving stony banks are up to 15 ft. across and
2 ft. high above the accompanying silted ditches.
R.A.F., VAP 106G/UK 1721: 6262–3.