AMPNEY ST. PETER or EASTINGTON
(3½ miles E. of Cirencester)
A Romano-British building imprecisely located about
¼ mile N. of the village was partly excavated by J. Y.
Akerman, c. 1860. (fn. 1) His account refers to an urn containing a hoard of Roman coins dug up in a garden 'not
many hundred yards from Ranbury Ring'.
Monuments in Ampney St. Peter and Poulton.
(1) Ranbury Ring Hill-fort (SP 090009), bivallate by
reason of a feeble outer bank and ditch, its banks treecovered, unexcavated, encloses 11½ acres on the plain
S.E. of the village, about 310 ft. above O.D. The perimeter of the enclosure generally follows the contours
of a slight eminence, rising from the almost flat surrounding ground. The inner bank, about 35 ft. wide,
stands 7 ft. above the interior and 12 ft. above the ditch,
which is 30 ft. wide. Beyond this is a berm 10 ft. to 15 ft.
wide. The generally denuded outer bank, about 15 ft.
wide, survives in places to a height of 4 ft. The outer
ditch can be traced only along the S. half of the S.W.
side, where it is 6 in. deep and 12 ft. wide. The entrance,
in the middle of the S.E. side, is now marked by a gap
40 ft. wide in the inner bank. The outer bank has been
destroyed on the N.E. of the entrance. The interior has
been much ploughed.
Ampney St. Peter. (1) Hill-fort. Plan and profiles.
Playne (1876), 216, No. 35. Witts (1883), 42, No. 84.
Bagendon, 25, n. 4.
|| PSA, 2nd series, III (1864–7), 203–4. Finds lost.