(14 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
Monuments in Barrington.
(1) Romano-British Building (SP 204138), in Barrington Park approximately 330 yds. N. of St. Mary's
Church, on a gentle S.-facing slope, was discovered by
chance about 1867 and was partly dug in 1882. A wellbuilt wall 4 ft. thick, a plunge bath, roof slates and tiles,
'grooved' tiles, pottery and bones were noted.
MS. Notebook III of Dr. John Moore, pp. 14–16 (9 Mar.
1882), in library of Brist. & Glos. Archaeol. Soc.
N.M.R., OAP SP 2013/1/16–23; 2013/2/24–30.
(2) Romano-British Settlement (SP 217132), 4/5 mile
E.S.E. of St. Mary's Church, extends over some 7
acres on the almost flat alluvial terrace immediately N.
of the R. Windrush. Remains of buildings with stone
footings and tessellated pavements are reported in
parts of the area. Two channelled streams flow through
the site. Disturbed earthworks survive at SP 217132,
but the ground to the E. is flattened in arable. Air
photographs (Plate 50) indicate a double ditched feature
(t), probably a track, earlier than modern enclosure and
drainage patterns, approaching the site from N.W.
Roman tiles, tesserae and wall plaster, possibly found on
this site in 1931, are now in Gloucester City Museum.
Similar material was found c. 1935 together with a
coin of Gratian.
Information, from letters and notebooks in private possession, supplied by Dr. J. Liversidge.
Air photographs: W. G. Allen OAP 585–7.