Architects and Craftsmen
This biographical list is confined, with few exceptions, to those masons, carpenters, builders and architects
who lived and worked in Stamford and whose work may be identified. Journeymen and men whose status
is at present uncertain have been excluded. The chief sources used in compiling the list are the Hall Books,
recording admissions to freedom and to scot and lot; the Chamberlains' Accounts, recording expenditure
by the Town Council after 1710; and the Exeter Day Books recording the building activities of the Earls
of Exeter between 1770 and 1800. Other information comes from the court rolls, churchwardens' accounts,
Browne's Hospital accounts, parish registers, Exeter MSS, the Mercury, and the Dictionaries of Colvin and
Bingham, Edward (d. 1796). Marble mason, of Peterborough. Best known as a monumental mason; he
signed tablets in 1751 and 1782 at All Saints', and 1788 and 1789 in St. Martin's. He did work for Lord
Exeter at Burghley including two lions in 1775 and marble window sills in 1790. He made a chimney-piece
in 1787 for 35 St. Mary's Street (366) costing £8.11.6., two more for the Assembly Rooms (58) in 1793
costing £26.9.0., and two for 27 St. Mary's Street (361) in 1795 for £20.12.0.
His son James continued the business and must be responsible for the monument of 1803 in St. Martin's.
Booth, John. Cabinet maker and carver, freeman 1784. He was employed by Lord Exeter from 1770
to 1796, and his work included chimney-pieces at 34–36 St. Mary's Street (366) in 1785–6.
Boyfield, John I. (1733–79). Carpenter, freeman 1764. Did small jobs for the town, made furniture,
and established the family business.
Boyfield, John II. (c. 1754–1825). Builder, first worked under Christopher Staveley at Melton Mowbray as carpenter; on death of cousin(?) John I, joined his widow Elizabeth to run firm (Mercury, 4 Feb.
1779). Lived at, and rebuilt in 1791, 1 All Saints' Place (70). Important business; employed by the Town
and at Burghley. Worked in 1785 at the George Hotel (239); in 1791 at 4 St. Mary's Place (342); in 1796
at Corporation Buildings, Scotgate (422); and in 1799 at Assembly Rooms extension (58).
Boyfield, John III. (c. 1796–1836). Builder, continued the family business. In 1831 his plans for remodelling St. Michael's church adopted, leading to its collapse in 1832.
Browning, Bryan (1773–1856). Architect, born at Thurlby, Lincs. (parish register). Around 1819–22
had a London address; 1835 said to be at Northorpe, Lincs.; in 1826 married Ruth Snart of Stamford and
moved to Stamford c. 1838. In 1840s he was retained by Exeter as architect for £180 p.a.; by 1847 was practising at 16 Broad Street. His Stamford work includes the workhouse of 1835 (demolished); rebuilding S.E.
pillar in St. Mary's church, and layout of Blackfriars Estate in 1840; internal vestry, St. Mary's church, 1841;
Stamford Institution (59), 1842; remodelling of Barn Hill House (96), 1843; Grant's iron foundry (451),
1845; 4–5 Red Lion Square and 1 High Street (279), 1848; and Byard House, St. Paul's Street (380), 1851.
Browning, Edward (1816–82). Architect, son of Bryan by first wife; began in father's firm and may
have been involved in some of his later work. His Stamford work includes Town Bridge and adjacent
work (64), 1847–9, the bridge with his brother Henry; cemetery chapels, 1852; Corn Exchange, Broad
Street, 1858; St. Michael's National School, 1860; Butter Market, Red Lion Square, 1861; High School,
St. Martin's, 1875; and St. George's vicarage, 1881. He or his father were responsible for the W. porch
of St. George's in 1848, and the restoration of St. Mary's chancel in 1849.
Browning, Henry B. (1822–c. 1908). Son of Bryan, began in family office where his mathematical
abilities must have been of use; 1851 went to Cambridge, graduated and in 1855 was ordained.
Charlesworth, John (d. 1781). Brickmaker, with kilns in St. Martin's by 1763; after his death his
widow had kilns N. of the river in 1788.
Clarke, William (d. 1786). Mason, admitted to scot and lot 1738. Lived at 13 St. Paul's Street (376)
which he bought as sitting tenant in 1743 and probably refronted. Married Mary daughter of William
Lindsey, carpenter, and his relations with that family appear to have been close. Besides small jobs for the
Town he built in 1761 a house in Water Street for £60 (demolished), the Theatre (60) in 1766, and in
c. 1768 he rebuilt a house 'near Burghley Lane'. In 1758 he arbitrated in a dispute over damages to a house
in Broad Street (deeds, 9 Broad Street).
Cole, John (d. 1797). Mason, freeman 1766. Did maintenance work at Browne's Hospital, 1783–1800,
his business being continued by his widow and son. In 1791 he advertised for no less than 10 journeymen;
in 1792 built 37–9 St. Mary's Street (367), and in 1794, 1–2 St. Mary's Hill (331). He also was a monumental mason, signing an oval tablet at Tinwell in 1796; his only known apprentice was William Harrison
(1790–7). Subscribed to George Richardson's New Designs in Architecture (1792).
Collins, Charles (c. 1788–1863). Builder, began work in Stamford c. 1828; admitted to scot and lot
1834. Contractor with R. Woolston for St. Michael's church, 1835–6. In 1844 made pews in St. Martin's
and St. George's churches with R. Woolston; in 1849 built 10 High Street (176).
Cosin, Thomas (fl. 1686). Signed engraved coffin-plate to James Langton, St. Michael's church. Probably related to Richard Cosins, goldsmith, who owned 9–11 Ironmonger Street in 1696 (deeds).
Dixon, John (d. 1782). Joiner, son of Joseph, carpenter; admitted to scot and lot 1748; his marriage
settlement in 1750 included 2 All Saints' Place. In 1762 he bought 33 St. Peter's Street (413), and in 1778
he leased 34 St. Peter's Street (414), where he seems to have lived. He did small jobs for the Town between
1760 and 1781; maintenance at Browne's Hospital; and in 1759, with Robert Timperon, cabinet maker,
wainscotted St. George's church. Having helped survey the new sheepmarket in 1777 he made the pens
for it in 1781, and in the same year rebuilt a house, probably (384), in St. Paul's Street. In 1780 he made
plans for wainscot and removable seating for the Court at the Town Hall.
Dixon, Joseph (d. 1777). Carpenter, father of John, Richard and Joseph. Freeman 1722, worked for
Town and Browne's Hospital, and in 1742 demolished buildings at 9 Barn Hill.
Dixon, Joseph (d. 1787). Mason, son of Joseph, carpenter; admitted to scot and lot 1767 when he was
said to have been born in Stamford and to be a citizen of London where he became free of the Mason's
Company in 1760. In 1783 Lord Exeter paid him for drawing plans. He is probably the Joseph Dixon
who built Blackfriars' Bridge, London, to Mylne's designs, 1760–9; worked for Holland 1767–70; became
bankrupt in 1778; died in 1787 (PRO, PCC 171 Major); buried in St. Mary's church, Battersea, which he
designed in 1775.
Dixon, Richard (fl. c. 1765–78). Carpenter, son of Joseph, carpenter; admitted to scot and lot 1767.
In 1766–78 was surveying and working for Lord Exeter at Burghley and London. His brother John is
described c. 1767–71 as being of Pimlico, so Richard may be the builder of St. Mary, Battersea, 1775–7,
designed by Joseph Dixon. He was surveyor for the Westminster New Lying-in Hospital, 1765, and became
bankrupt in 1778.
Dixon, Samuel (fl. 1789–c. 1823). Carpenter, apprenticed 1772, admitted to scot and lot 1789, died
before 1835. By 1794 had large building business; 1801 valued premises in Water Street; 1822–3 did
carpenters' work at Snowden's Hospital (52).
Exton, John (c. 1695–1785). Glazier and plumber, apprenticed 1711, freeman 1718, retired 1773 in
favour of his journeyman George Bacon. Removed glass from St. George's church, and 1758–62 worked
for Lord Exeter at Burghley and St. Martin's church.
Fearn, George (fl. 1843–61). Monumental mason, born in Derbyshire, began business in High Street,
Stamford c. 1843; by 1856 had moved workshop to Scotgate. Sold business in 1861 and is said to have
died in Halifax in 1877. Monuments survive in All Saints', 1845, St. Michael's, 1849, St. Martin's, 1850.
Gilbert, Daniel (d. 1862). Monumental mason, with workshops on S. side of Tinwell Road from at
least 1841. Signed wall-slab and gravestone, 1847, in St. John's church.
Gilbert, Henry (fl. 1827–45). Monumental mason, son of John; by 1827 working in his father's former
premises in Broad Street, and had recently copied Roubiliac's bust of Newton at Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1845 carved lions in Ketton stone for a bridge at Burghley.
Gilbert, John (c. 1773–1839). Monumental mason, born at Deeping St. James where a James and
William Gilbert were working in the late 18th century. John was journeyman to George Sparrow before
1807, when he set up on his own in Broad Street. He was admitted to scot and lot in 1813 and moved to
Cambridge c. 1825 (RCHM, Cambridge City; Cambs. I and II). By 1822 he had an agent in Spalding
(Mercury, 16 Aug.).
Goodwin, Robert. Mason, admitted to scot and lot 1792 after an apprenticeship to John Hames; in
1788 he helped to repair St. Mary's spire. He did work for the Town in 1796–1819, and signed a monument
in St. John's in 1796.
His son, also Robert (1799–1871) was admitted to scot and lot in 1820. Father or son built Snowden's
Hospital (52) in 1822, and signed a monument in Barnack church in 1823.
Gregory, Francis (born c. 1798). Carpenter, and builder; in 1832 began the alterations in St. Michael's
church which ended in its collapse. Still alive in 1851.
Gregory, William (c. 1772–1852). Builder, admitted to scot and lot 1827. Member of Improvement
Committee 1845. He and Francis hard to distinguish. William sold 47–52 St. Leonard's Street (325) in
1835, and one of them, with Tinkler, built Grant's iron foundry (451) in 1845.
Hames, John, junior (d. 1828). Mason. His father John had in 1743 been apprenticed to Richard Bunch
(1672–1753) and died in 1782. John the son built 34–36 St. Mary's Street (366) in 1786, repaired St. Mary's
spire under Christopher Staveley in 1787, built 39–40 Broad Street (147) in c. 1786, 11–12 St. Mary's Hill
(337) in 1790, 4 St. Mary's Place (342) and the S. range of the George Hotel (239) in 1791, and a stable at
36 St. Mary's Street (366) in 1790. No. 16 All Saints' Place (74) may also be by him. In 1786 he inherited
five houses, probably 70–73 Scotgate and 14–15 All Saints' Place (432), from William Clarke and in 1790
took over Clarke's old limekiln in St. Martin's. He is not known to have done any building after his bankruptcy in 1794; he valued stone in Bellaer's yard in 1801 and surveyed houses built by John Boyfield in
1815. Of signed monuments, the floor slab in All Saints' is by father or son; the son repaired Truesdale's
monument in All Saints' in 1786, and made a tablet in St. John's in 1789.
Hames, Robert (fl. 1784–1810). Mason, probably brother of John, junior, with whom he worked at
Burghley in 1788–99. Before 1796 he had a quarry in St. Martin's at TF 036069. In 1784 he refronted 33 St.
Mary's Street (365), in 1792 he rebuilt Tickencote church under direction of S. P. Cockerell, in 1794 and
1797 repaired Great Casterton church, in 1797 built 14 St. John's Street (313), and in 1810 built new walls
round St. Michael's churchyard. He demolished St. George's Gate in 1805 and opened a quarry at Ketton
in 1807. In 1788 he set up, for £40, the monument to Elizabeth Cecil, relict of William, 2nd Earl of Exeter,
in Tinwell church after its removal from Clerkenwell.
Harrison, William (probably 1760–1845). Mason, apprenticed to John Cole 1790, freeman 1797.
In 1808 rebuilt porch at Browne's Hospital under John Walters, architect, and carried out maintenance
work from 1800 onwards. He is known mainly as a monumental mason, his first signed work being of
1798 at Uffington; other tablets of 1808 and 1810 are in St. Martin's, of 1812 in St. Mary's, and two illegible
floor slabs in All Saints'.
Holmes, John (fl. 1780–97). Mason, laid flagged floors in 1780 but known mainly as monumental
mason with tombstones at Great Casterton (1783, 1784) and Tickencote (1790, 1797).
Kidson, Henry I, II, III. Carpenters. Henry Kidson I bought 54 St. Leonard's Street in 1702 and his
son Henry Kidson II (1695–1760) became freeman in 1718, doing work for the Town between then and
1743. His son Henry worked at Truesdale's Hospital between 1768–73.
Lamford, John (fl. c. 1805–25). Carpenter, apprenticed 1797 to Bartholomew Richardson. In 1821 he
adapted a building to serve as the Congregational schoolroom (56).
Legg, William Daniel (d. 1806). Architect. Legg set up in business in Stamford c. 1778. By 1788 he
had completed Vale House (250), in 1797 was concerned with an unexecuted municipal project for
housing the poor of Stamford, and in 1799 began the new Lodges to Burghley Park. In 1804 he
designed the new Shambles (61). He employed masons and provided stone. In 1790, 1793 and 1799 he was
paid as architect by the Earls of Exeter; the extent of his responsibility for the 9th and 10th Earls' buildings
in Stamford is uncertain. He cannot be proved to be the carpenter of Coleman Street, London, in 1774,
and designer of stables at Panton Hall, Lincs., in 1777, but he certainly made alterations at Casewick
Hall, Lincs., in 1785.
Lindsey, William (d. 1763). Carpenter, son of Thomas, carpenter; apprenticed to Benjamin Tipping,
cabinet maker, 1725; admitted to scot and lot 1733. William lived at 1 St. George Square (291), which he
must have fitted up. In 1748 he sold a house, possibly 22 St. Mary's Street (357), to Leonard Stevenson;
in 1759 with his son John (admitted to scot and lot in 1750) and Robert Pilkington he built a gallery in
St. George's church. His daughter Mary married William Clarke, mason (q.v.).
Lumby, Thomas. Surveyor, presumably of Lincoln. He surveyed and valued for Lord Exeter between
1780 and 1794, staying at the Crown when he visited Stamford. He specifically worked in St. Mary's Hill
in 1780–1 and St. Mary's Street in 1784; his visits in 1780–1, 1784, 1789–94, correspond with the building
activities in Stamford of the 9th Earl of Exeter, and he may have been employed primarily as a surveyor.
In 1780 he was working at Burghley.
Manton, Thomas (d. 1789). Mason, freeman 1769. He did much work for Lord Exeter at Burghley,
1775–84, and in Stamford. He built new houses in 1777 and 1778; 14–16 St. Mary's Hill (339) in 1780, and
stables at 34–36 St. Mary's Street (366) in 1785. Between 1784 and 1789 he was working at the George
Hotel (239) on the stables and other work, including the N. range, in 1787. He carved a tombstone at
Great Casterton, 1782.
Newark, John. Brickmaker and confectioner, began brickmaking in St. Martin's in 1754.
Norris, Toby (d. 1626). Bellfounder, freeman 1607. He cast a bell for St. John's church in 1605 (now
gone), two for St. Mary's church in 1625 and a third in 1626. He lived at 12 St. Paul's Street (375), which he
bought as sitting tenant in 1617. His bell-metal monument is in St. George's church.
He had two sons Toby II, freeman 1628; and Thomas, freeman 1625, to whom the house and business
passed, who may have cast a bell for St. Mary's in 1638, and who resigned from the Town Council in 1678.
Thomas' son Toby III (1634–99) also lived and worked at 12 St. Paul's Street until 1689.
Peal, Moses (c. 1786–1855). Builder, born at Northborough; admitted to scot and lot 1813 as a carpenter.
In 1838 repaired nave roof of St. Mary's church; 1841 constructed an internal vestry and made several
pews at St. Mary's and built the Stamford Institution (59); 1842 with R. Tinkler made alterations to the
gaol (demolished); 1847 built a fever-ward at the workhouse, and in 1848 built 1 High Street and 4–5 Red
Lion Square (279). His small houses include 1–8 Adelaide Street (114), c. 1840–1, eight houses in Ryhall
Road (289, 290), before 1838, and 4 St. Leonard's Street (317), 1845.
Pearson, John (d. 1808?). Mason, son of Thomas. Quarried at Wothorpe for Lord Exeter from 1777
onwards. He built houses in 1777 and 1782 and 11–12 St. Mary's Hill (337) in 1791. He rebuilt part of
15 St. Mary's Street (351) in 1775, and following enclosure of St. Martin's was in charge of building the
new wall round Burghley Park in 1798.
A second John was born c. 1776 and died 1817.
Pearson, William (1737–1806). Mason, freeman 1762; to be distinguished from a second William
(c. 1758–1835). He did small jobs for the Town between 1765 and 1788; in 1767 dismantled part of Scotgate Gate. In 1795 he built 27 St. Mary's Street (361) and worked on 23a High Street St. Martins (213) in
Pepper, John (fl. 1784–1810). Surveyed masons' and carpenters' work for Lord Exeter in 1787–93;
apparently lived in Stamford.
Pierce, Thomas. Architect. In 1819 he redesigned the roof and probably the entrance hall of the Town
Hall (57). He designed a new gaol behind the Town Hall in 1821 and Snowden's Hospital in 1822, and in
1825 he and James Richardson gave an estimate of £260 for repairs to the school (54).
Pilkington, George (d. 1785). Carpenter, son of Thomas. Admitted to scot and lot 1764. He worked
at Burghley for Lord Exeter, in 1778 he built a house in St. Martin's, and in 1775 demolished and rebuilt
part of 15 St. Mary's Hill (339). After his death the family business was continued by his widow Alice until
at least 1795, she doing work at Burghley, the George Hotel (239) in 1788 and 37–39 St. Mary's Street
(367) in 1793.
Pilkington, Robert, senior (fl. 1714–36). Carpenter. His father, also Robert, worked for the Town
1709–22 and did maintenance work at Browne's Hospital; he died in 1723. The younger Robert became
freeman in 1714 and worked for the Town between 1727 and 1736. In 1725–6 he worked at the George
Hotel (239) making the S. stair in 1726.
Pilkington, Robert, junior (fl. 1752–91). Carpenter, son of Thomas, admitted to scot and lot 1752.
He worked for Lord Exeter and also the Town 1757–91. In 1759 he made a gallery at St. George's with John
and William Lindsey; in 1772 he estimated with William Clarke and John Burton, slater, for work at the
Bull Inn (352); he was working at 14–16 St. Mary's Hill (339) in 1780 and the George Hotel (239) in 1786.
In 1771 he leased a yard in Scotgate.
Pilkington, Thomas. The first Thomas, carpenter, was apprenticed to his father Robert in 1718,
became free in 1724; he worked for Lord Exeter 1758–61, and in 1751 helped rebuild the Shambles in High
Street. A second Thomas, carpenter (c. 1732–1809), did work at the extension to the Assembly Rooms
(58), at 27 St. Mary's Street (361), and 14 St. John's Street (313) in 1795. The third Thomas, carpenter,
freeman 1797, was calling himself architect and builder in 1822, retired in 1829 and died 1830. He built
1–4 Blackfriars Street (124) and 10–12 St. George's Square (295), both designed by him or his son.
Pilkington, Thomas. Architect, son of Thomas Pilkington III, carpenter. He 'received instruction
under an eminent carpenter and builder in London' and entered partnership with his father in 1822, being
admitted to scot and lot in 1830. In 1832 he demolished the tower of St. Michael's church and submitted
an unsuccessful design for the new building, and in 1836 he built the Union Workhouse with Richardson.
He moved to Bourne before going to Edinburgh in 1854, returning to Bourne in 1874.
Portwood, George, senior (d. 1742). Mason, probably took Robert Skynnar as apprentice in 1707.
In 1710 he was working in St. Michael's church, in 1713 was repairing Browne's Hospital, in 1723 dismantled steeple of Pickworth church, Rutland, in 1724 refronted the George Hotel (239) and in 1726 built a
cockpit there. In 1725–6 he did the surveying work for Lord Exeter, in 1730 was involved in the choice
of site for a new gaol, for which he built a 'necessary' in 1733, and in 1737 designed the steeple of Withamon-the-Hill church, Lincs. (built by another mason). The unexecuted design for 9 Barn Hill (Fig. 181) was
drawn in 1741; in 1742 he was engaged in a large project at Browne's Hospital, which was taken over
at his death by Benjamin Stanmore.
Portwood, George, junior (d. 1761). Mason, son of George, senior. In 1720s working as journeyman
for father; in 1737 became freeman and set up independent business. He did lesser work for Lord Exeter,
and for Truesdale's and Browne's Hospitals. He died in 1761 (All Saints' parish register). His brother Samuel
worked for their father and died in Browne's Hospital.
Richardson, Charles (1813–63). Architect and builder, son of James; freeman 1835. His known
works in Stamford are 5–8 Broad Street (129) of 1846 and the shop-front at 31 Broad Street (141) of 1848.
Richardson, James (c. 1782–1860). Builder and carpenter, admitted to scot and lot 1808. Became
Borough Surveyor 1825; lived at 16 Barn Hill (103) as had his father Bartholomew. In 1845 took sons
Charles and Samuel into the business. He worked on the Town Hall improvements of 1819; repaired the
School (54) in 1825 with Thomas Pierce, and made further alterations to the Town Hall in 1839. In 1832–3
he built Truesdale's Hospital (53), followed by an extension in 1844. In 1843–4 with R. Tinkler he altered
Barn Hill House (96), and in 1847 repaired Bourn Court (73). Small houses built by him include 11–12
Bath Row (108) of 1834 and 16–19 Adelaide Street (116) of c. 1840–1. In 1820 he took an auctioneer's
licence, and this branch of the business remained in Barn Hill until 1971.
Sharpe, Edward (d. 1764). Mason, freeman 1714. Marble monument, 1736, in North Witham church,
Lincs. His son Edward became freeman 1749.
Smith, Thomas (fl. 1828–42). Mason, admitted to scot and lot 1832, and lived at 19 St. George's
Square until he sold his stock and left Stamford in 1842. In 1828–32 he built a house in St. Martin's and
worked at Burghley under Gandy; in 1836 he was clerk of works at the Union Workhouse; in 1841 he
repaired St. Mary's Church and tendered for the Stamford Institution. He submitted an unsuccessful
design for St. Michael's church in 1834. As a monumental mason his work was prolific, in the plain Grecian
style of the day: 13 wall-monuments survive in Stamford, and a gravestone of 1833 at Tickencote.
Sparrow, George (fl. 1788–1805). Mason, freeman 1792 as a housepainter but by 1793 was working as a
marble mason; in 1806 he moved to W. D. Legg's former house in Broad Street. He was a member of the
Sparrow family of monumental masons and may have come from Grantham.
Staveley, Christopher (c. 1727–1801). Architect, of Melton Mowbray. In 1787 he repaired the tower
and spire of St. Mary's church, and in 1794 drew plans of sluices for an improvement in the Welland
navigation. John Boyfield II was his foreman before 1779.
Sutton, John. Mason, freeman 1662. In 1672 he contracted with Sir Abel Barker to build part of
Lyndon Hall, Rutland.
Tatam, Henry (fl. c. 1772–1804). Cabinet maker, worked with Cobb in London before starting business
in Stamford; freeman 1772. Made furniture for Burghley House. Acting as representative of the Wansford
Road Trustees he 'explained' the plan of the proposed Town Hall to the Council in 1775, signed the
building proposals, and in 1780 designed an embattled folly to replace Scotgate gate. In 1777 he planned and
estimated for new sheep pens with John Dixon, and in 1804 unsuccessfully submitted a plan for the new
shambles. He was almost certainly responsible for the design of 9 Barn Hill (97), c. 1796–1801.
Tinkler, Robert (1797–1868). Mason and builder, born at Woolsthorpe, Lincs. Among his works are
repairs to St. Mary's spire in 1842, alterations to Barn Hill House (96), 1843–4, various stations for the
Midland Railway, c. 1847, and the W. porch of St. George's church in 1848.
Willford, Joseph (d. 1780). Brazier. He made a chandelier for St. Martin's church in 1732, a bell for
the Town Crier in 1740, and did unspecified work for Lord Exeter, 1770–80.
Wing, John (fl. c. 1674–1714). Surveyor, of Pickworth, Rutland. In 1714 a Mr. Wing was paid 10s. for
'measuring joiners work' at Browne's Hospital. This was probably the campaign of work costing over £150,
George Portwood being paid £50. In 1700 he published a revised version of his uncle Vincent Wing's
work Geodaetes Practicus Redivivus, in which he advertised himself as a land and quantity surveyor and
Woolston, Robert (d. 1856). Builder, admitted to scot and lot 1825 as bricklayer. In 1847 began
building Town Bridge (64), became bankrupt 1848 but continued in business, tendering for the Infirmary
Lodge (45) in 1849. He was a brickmaker, and a monument signed by him in 1829 is in All Saints' church.
Contractor with Charles Collins for St. Michael's church, 1835–6. In 1844 he made pews in St. George's
church with Collins, and in 1847–8 was building lodges for the Midland Railway.