Austin Street (Fig. 201)
Forming a back lane to St. Peter's Street, this
narrow street runs along the top of the scarp above
the Welland Valley.
Fig. 69 (85) Austin House.
(85) Austin House, No. 4 (Fig. 69; Plates 146, 149),
three storeys, attics, ashlar S. wall, otherwise coursed
rubble with plain quoins, mansard roof, was built in
c.1800. The house is an elegant example of Regency
architecture. In plan it conforms to class 10, the entrance
at street level being a storey higher than the garden
level. On the street front a central door, and above it a
shallow bow window of two stages rising to the attics,
are the only openings. The main rooms are lit by tall
bow windows on the garden side. The stair-hall was
originally lit from the bow on the street side, but
marginally later partitions enclosing closets now block
this source of lighting. The shallow bow windows on
the S. rise the full height of the house, the upper two
stages having Venetian-type sash windows with Gothic
glazing, but the ground stage, containing service
rooms, has casement windows. Between these bays, a
central round-headed door, with porch having fluted
pilasters and columns, leads to a single flight of steps
which divides into two side flights, all with iron railings.
Above the door is a round-headed window with heavy
architrave set in an incised surround with a pedimented
hood; this incongruous feature is an insertion which
may have been introduced to light the stair-hall. The
interior fittings are refined. The stair has slender hollowmoulded balusters set diagonally and shaped brackets to
the treads. Other fittings include moulded plaster
cornices, round-headed cupboards and recesses, and
moulded panelled doors.
(86) House, No. 11, two storeys, stone walls, consists of two parallel gabled ranges on a sloping site, the
main room on the garden side being therefore above
ground level. This room has an original verandah. In
1801 the owner of the site, Browne's Hospital, granted a
lease to Joseph Robinson conditional on his demolishing
three tenements and rebuilding a 'good and more substantial messuage' (Browne's Hospital leases). However
Robinson only carried out repairs at a cost of £90,
which proved ineffective and the structure began to
collapse (deeds). The present house was built in 1808
and was described as 'newly erected' in October of that
year. The house remained unoccupied and in October
1809 Robinson exchanged five acres of land for the freehold. He immediately enlarged the house by adding the
two-storey S. range above a basement. (Inside not seen.)
(87) House, No. 12, three storeys, coursed rubble
walls with freestone dressings and quoins, class 10 plan
with kitchen wing at side, stands on sloping ground and
so has a street-entrance at a higher level than the main
ground-floor rooms. It was built in the very early years
of the 19th century. The garden front has sash windows
with continuous sills, on both floors. The staircase has
shaped tread-brackets and turned newels.
(88) Former Houses, No. 14, two storey, attics,
coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, hipped on the W.,
were built as a pair of class 15 dwellings in the early 19th
(89) House, No. 15, two storeys, coursed rubble
walls, class 15, early 19th-century.
(90) Terrace, Nos. 16, 16A, 16B, two storeys,
coursed rubble walls, ashlar dressings, projecting keystones to doors and windows, comprises a class 10
house of c. 1840 and a pair of slightly later class 15
houses. In the centre is a communal passage.
(91) House, No. 26, two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, approximating to class 10 plan, bears a
panel inscribed 'IDM 1706'. The windows have wooden
lintels. On the S. elevation are two small blocked lights,
probably for closets beside the stack in the gable wall.
Originally there were two main rooms each entered
from a central lobby, but the cross wall has since been
(92) Houses, Nos. 27–28, a pair, two storeys and
attics, coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, probably
late 18th-century. Each has a class 15 plan but the W.
house has a side passage to a yard. Inside, the upper
floor is of plaster.