Blackfriars Street (Fig. 143)
(124) Terrace, Nos. 1–4, two storeys, red brick
front and stone rear walls, dressed quoins, was built
shortly before 1829 by Thomas Pilkington who bought
the site in 1813 (Ex. MS, 84/7). Upper and lower windows have continuous sills, and stone surrounds. The
doorways, above which are blank walls, formerly had
wooden architraves. Each dwelling, of class 15, consists
of a front room, side passage and outshut containing the
(125) Former Balloon Inn, No. 6, three storeys and
cellar, with coursed rubble walls and brick gable walls,
was described as newly built in 1827 (Mercury, 28 Dec.).
It has an L-shaped plan (class 11) and a street front composed of sash windows and two round-headed doorways,
one leading to a central hallway the other to a side
passage. In 1827 there was a parlour, bar and kitchen,
with a dining room on the first floor.