Church Lane (Fig. 111)
(156) Houses, Nos. 1, 3 Church Lane and 6, 8
Church Street, three storeys, coursed rubble walls with
freestone dressings, red brick chimney stacks, comprise
four houses of c. 1830; they are probably those shown
on Knipe's map of 1833. The doorway and sash windows on the rounded corner are all curved. Nos. 1 and
3 Church Lane are of class 14a, and 6, 8 Church Street
of class 15.
(157) Former Red Cow Inn, No. 2, two storeys,
coursed rubble walls, class 10 plan but much altered;
(158) House, No. 4, two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, class 15 plan but the rebuilt E. gable may
indicate truncation in the early 19th century; 18th-century.
(159) House, Nos. 9–11, two storeys and attics,
coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, has an L-shaped
plan. The main range, class 10 plan, bears a date-panel
inscribed 'RB 1823'. The short rear wing, built slightly
later, has recently been partly demolished.
(160) House, No. 13, two storeys with attics, coursed
rubble walls, mansard roof, brick chimney stack, class
8a plan with side passage, ovolo-moulded mullioned
windows of two or three lights; probably built in
(161) House, No. 21, two storeys, rubble walls,
dressed plinth, class 10 plan with slightly later wing at
rear, timber lintels over doors and windows; early
(162) House, No. 23, three storeys, coursed rubble
walls, class 15 plan, single windows on each floor, sash
and casement; after 1833 (not on Knipe's map).