Church Street (Fig. 111)
The road from Easton-on-the-Hill formerly ran
along Church Street, and thence along Church
Lane to High Street St. Martins. In 1796 the present
Kettering Road was created, forming a more direct
(163) House, No. 1, three storeys, coursed rubble
walls, originally comprised two houses, the W. having
a class 15 plan and the E. a class 10. The end room of the
latter unit has been removed. The building-date is given
on a panel, 'JB 1828'.
(164) Church Court, a row of class 15 dwellings,
one storey and attics, coursed rubble walls, red brick
chimney stacks, converted to garages, is now derelict.
The row may have consisted of three or four units, and
was built in the 18th century.
(165) Warehouse, two storeys and attics, coursed
rubble walls, mansard roof, is early 19th-century. On
the E. are four oval openings for ventilation with red
brick surrounds and iron-barred wooden frames.
Above are tall windows, many blocked. The original
function of the building is unknown but the ground
floor was used for storage.
(166) Former Malting, Nos. 2–4, coursed rubble
walls, was originally of three storeys extending to the
rear wing of mon. (235). Demolition of a central section
has left the W. part detached and this has become two
houses and a store. Originally there were small square
openings on each floor. The site was bought by Moses
Lumby in 1813; he cleared four houses and built the
maltings before his death in 1838 (deeds).
Nos. 6 and 8 Church Street, see mon. 156.