Gas Street (Fig. 85)
This street runs along the E. side of Tenter
Meadow adjacent to the site of the Blackfriars, and
takes its name from the gas works established next
to it in 1825 (452).
(171) Houses, Nos. 5–9 (Fig. 99), consist of two pairs
and a single class 15 dwelling, each with coursed rubble
walls. Nos. 5 and 6 have ashlar quoins and dressings, and
rebuilt outshuts; on the front is a date-panel, 'W.R.
1819'. Nos. 7 and 8, without quoins, were built soon
after Nos. 5 and 6; No. 9 is set back and was the last to
Fig. 99 (171) 5–6 and 9 Gas Street.