High Street (Fig. 100)
High Street was the axial road of the Danish
burh. In the Middle Ages the Butcher Row was in
the middle of the road, at its E. end, and almost
opposite St. Michael's Church; there was a conduit
which shared the same supply as that in St. Paul's
Street. A booth in Butcher Row was given to St.
Michael's nunnery before 1250 (PRO, SC 11/426).
The Shambles was rebuilt in 1751 at a cost of £176
(Chamberlains' Accounts) and a drawing by Nattes
shows the new building to have had a long roof
supported on posts and to have been open along the
sides. In 1720 there were also 'drystandings and
stalls' against the neighbouring shops (Ex. MS,
87/12). A new shambles and market was begun in
1804 and completed in 1808 on an adjacent site (61).
High Street has always been of importance, and
since at least the 18th century it has been the principal commercial street in the town. All buildings
have been more or less drastically altered to suit
them to the needs of the 19th and 20th-century
Former Houses and Shops, No. 1, see mon. 279.
Fig. 100 Map showing monuments in High Street, Ironmonger Street and Wellington Lane.
(172) Shop, No. 3 (Fig. 101), three storeys, plastered
red brick, comprises two blocks, running back from the
street, now linked on the ground floor. It may be identified as the draper's shop, counting house and warehouse
sold by Edward Thorpe to Garmston Chapman in 1824
(Mercury, 8 Oct. and 10 Dec.) and was probably built
shortly before that date. The two-bay street block, with
upper sash window, was formerly separated from the
rear block by a narrow yard. This rear block has a
timber-framed S. wall and the remainder is built of
brick or stone. A fireplace has fluted surround and
Fig. 101 (172) 3 High Street.
(173) Houses and Shops, Nos. 6–7 (Plate 106), two
storeys and attics, have a rear range on the E., probably
originally timber-framed, of the 17th century. The
seven-bay main range was remodelled or rebuilt in the
mid 18th century; the ashlar street front with separated
quoins and first-floor sash windows, having moulded
surrounds and stepped keystones, the central one fluted,
was built at this time. A wooden moulded and bracketed
cornice remains only over No. 7. The early 19th-century
shop front to No. 7 (Plate 138) has a central doorway
integral with flanking bow windows and entrances to
side passages, one of which is now blocked; the cornice
is concave over the doorways and convex over the
windows. The E. passage served the house at the rear of
the shop, and the W. is a public footpath known as
Wellington Lane. The ground floor of No. 6 is gutted,
but at the rear a timber-framed turret contains part of an
early 19th-century stair. A first-floor room in No. 6 has
early 19th-century beaded and panelled window reveals.
A substantial moulded wooden bracket in a rear room
of No. 7 has ornamental guttae, early 18th-century.
(174) House, No. 8 (Plate 110), three storeys and
attics, red brick, gabled mansard roof, interior
gutted, consists of two parallel ranges and a central
linking block running back from the street. The
rear range dates from the first half of the 18th
century and the remainder was built in the 1760s.
In 1768 the building, then the Globe Inn, was described as recently built (Mercury, 21 July), but the
linking block appears to have been altered after that
The mid 18th-century street front of three bays breaking forward in the centre has two platbands, first-floor
sash windows with lowered sills and modern iron
balconies; the central window was originally wider and
scars suggest it was of triple, possibly Venetian, form.
The top-floor sash windows have moulded sills and
shaped brick key-blocks; the central opening is a lunette,
apparently original, with moulded brick architrave,
key block and apron. The mansard roof and a wooden
dentilled eaves cornice are early 19th-century. In each
gable is a blind window with aprons and sills. The
corresponding wing at the rear, also of three storeys and
attics, is built of coursed rubble with freestone quoins,
and has a gabled roof. The N. elevation (Plate 110) of
three bays has platband, moulded string-course, coved
eaves decorated with three demon masks and attenuated
swags in plaster (Plate 122), and later sash windows with
freestone dressings, perhaps of c. 1768. The attic floors
are of plaster.
(175) House, No. 9, front block of three storeys,
ashlar walls, is early 19th-century. The ground floor is
gutted except for a side passage. The three-bay street
front has sash windows and a plain rebuilt parapet. Inside, is an early 19th-century fireplace with cornerbosses. At rear is an 18th-century block with sash
windows and 19th-century staircase; it was later extended at the rear to form a two-storey wing. In c.
1840 a narrow two-storey stone wing with attics was
added beyond; its function is unknown.
(176) Gothic House, No. 10 (Fig. 102), mostly
two storeys, comprises a long range running back
from the street. It incorporates the rear wing of a
large, probably 16th-century, house of which the S.
end was replaced by the present mock-gothic
building in 1849. At the rear of the early house is a
block of the same date, formerly detached, but now
joined to it by a small structure possibly of the late
16th century. The street front of 1849 (Plate 163)
was described at the time as a 'fine specimen of the
revived Tudor style' (Mercury, 22 June).
Fig. 102 (176) Gothic House, 10 High Street.
The early house is of timber-frame two storeys high
and is jettied on the W. where there is a narrow passage.
Six bays remain but, except for the principal posts, the
W. wall below the jetty has been removed from the four
S. bays. Originally the plan consisted of two rooms, of
three and two bays, separated by a chimney stack now
removed. Cross beams have double-ogee mouldings
which continue along the wall-plate but some mouldings have been hacked back as chamfers. Each room was
lit by a continuous range of windows, with four lights
to each bay; mortices for mullions remain in the wall-plate. Each principal post has an external square rib
expanding to a bracket below the jetty; in the sides are
grooves to receive the infill of stone slates, several of
which survive in the N. gable, covered with plaster
(Fig. 103). The roof, originally open to the upper rooms,
has braced and cambered tie beams, collars clasping purlins, and wind braces; half-bays are marked by collars
only. A collar, inserted when the chimney stack was
removed, bears a painted inscription 'T. Rayment 1788'.
Thomas Rayment, a clockmaker, is recorded between
1764, his marriage-date, and 1792, and in 1775 he was
working in the High Street (Mercury, 13 July). The
small late 16th-century structure adjoining on the N. is
timber-framed but generally featureless. The earlier
detached block, also timber-framed, is built across the
site and has evidence of a jetty on the S.; the infilling is
of stone slates covered with plaster. The two-bay roof
has collars clasping wind-braced purlins. Adjoining on
the N. is another building probably of 17th-century
date; the walls are of stone and the single room has
Fig. 103 (176) Gothic House
infilling in timber-frame.
The S. section giving onto the street is of three storeys
and attics and the walls are probably brick but the front
is rendered to imitate timber-framing (Plate 163). Twin
bay windows and gables with carved barge-boards face
the street. Between the bays is the date 'MDCCCXLIX'
but this is now obscured. The interior has been gutted.
(177) House, Nos. 11–12 (Plate 141), two storeys
and attics, timber-framed with later stone end wall,
comprises a front range of the 16th or early 17th century
(class 2 plan), and a slightly later parallel rear range; the
main front was jettied, now only traceable in the E. end
wall. In the 18th century two three-storey bay windows
were added; they rise above the eaves and have canted
sides and semi-octagonal hipped roofs. The rear wall,
slightly jettied, has exposed timber studs marked with
Roman numbers. In the E. end wall is a four-light
wooden ovolo-moulded window. Inside, on the first
floor, the absence of mortices in some studs implies
former, smaller, windows in the positions of the 18th-century bays. In the rear wall are two rectangular oriel
windows carried on brackets; they are probably replacements.
(178) House, No. 14 (Plate 92), three storeys, cellar
and attics, has dressed stone walls and some timber-framing now mostly internal. The earliest, perhaps late
medieval, structure of which there is evidence is a rear
wing, of timber-frame with a stone stack on the E. side;
its roof has a pair of collared rafters. In c. 1700 the S.
range next to the street was rebuilt in stone; it extended
back as far as the early stack. At about the same time a
two-storey block with full-height bay window, now
demolished, was built N. of the stack. The ashlared
street front of c. 1700 is decorated with bolection-moulded framework defining panels and windows. The
wide eaves are supported on shaped brackets (Plate 123).
Inside, a staircase of c. 1700 exists on the first and second
floors of the S. range, the scar of its lower flight being
traceable against the S. face of the chimney stack; it has a
continuous mast-like newel, square end-newels, heavy
moulded hand rail, turned balusters and closed string
(Plate 132). The first-floor room had until recently
bolection-moulded panelling in two heights with
elaborately moulded cornice and pulvinated frieze.
Some early 19th-century wall-paper with a coffered
pattern was noted. In the rear range there was formerly
a bolection-moulded fireplace surround of c. 1700; the
stone jambs of another surround with recessed mouldings survive.
Fig. 104 (178) Range behind 14 High Street
Section of roof of middle block, c. 1700.
Parallel to the main house and facing Silver Lane is a
long range of three dates: the larger and central block
of c. 1700 has two storeys and attics, stone walls, and is
undivided internally; the roof has principal rafters with
curved feet, and collars (Fig. 104). The S. block, of ashlar with moulded window surrounds, linked with the
main house, is early 18th-century and of two storeys; an
upper room has fielded panelling of two heights. The
small block on the N. is two-storey and late 18th-century.
(179) Houses And Shops, Nos. 15–17 (Plate 92), three
storeys and attics, ashlar front and coursed rubble rear
walls, timber-framed stair turrets, were built c. 1700.
The street fronts conform generally to the design of No.
14 but the deep bracketed eaves are lower (Plates 122,
123). The segmental-headed dormers are 19th-century.
The houses originally had class 15 plans but the ground
floor has been entirely gutted for modern shops, and at
the rear various later additions have been made. The
upper stages of the street elevations are ornamented by
moulded ribs which form architraves to the windows
and string-courses at lintel level; vertical ribs denote the
tenements which are each of three bays. No. 17 is
elaborated by further vertical ribbing; the triple window
with cornice and pediment on the first floor replaces a
bow window shown in this position in 1804 by Nattes.
No. 15, seen before the present shop front was installed,
had the jambs of tall ground-floor openings probably
implying that the row was originally designed for
shops; the ashlar jambs were rebated, and framed by
Behind each house was a square timber-framed stair
turret. That behind No. 15 was removed in 1970–1;
the stair in No. 16, with splat balusters, moulded string
and handrail and square newels, alone survives (Fig. 15).
Between the turrets of Nos. 16–17 a timber-framed
gallery, of two storeys, the upper jettied, was added in
the 18th century. At the rear are a number of ranges dating from the 18th and early 19th centuries.
(180) Houses and Shops, Nos. 18–19, three
storeys, attics and cellar, ashlar front and rubble rear
walls, were built between 1719 and 1736; side walls
are partly timber-framed but no earlier structure is
traceable. This is probably the building described
by Stukeley in 1736 as 'entirely new built, pulled
down by Mr. Moore father of the present owner'
(Stanfordia Illustrata ii, 102); a Thomas Moore
bought two houses in High Street in 1719 (Court
Rolls). Later in the 18th century a pair of dignified
shop fronts was added, possibly replacing earlier
shop windows of which four ovolo-moulded jambs
survive; an apothecary's workshop was also built in
the yard. The E. shop remained a chemist's until
c. 1968 (Pl. 93). The building demolished after 1719
had 'a room wainscoted, upon every panel the
monogram . . . IHS painted and inlayd with gold,
very thick and splendid', and a chimney-piece with
arms said to be of Edward III (Stanfordia Illustrata
ii, 102, 116).
Fig. 105 (180) Apothecary's workshop
behind 18–19 High Street
Plan, sections and elevation.
The five-bay street front has upper windows with
moulded architraves and fluted keystones, spaced rusticated quoins, platband, and plain parapet with pilasters
rising above a shallow moulded cornice; one surviving
lead rainwater head is inscribed 'TMM' for Thomas
Mills, druggist (died 1839). The shop fronts, separated
by a central passage, have eight wooden fluted Corinthian columns supporting an architrave with panelled
soffit, frieze fluted over the doorways, and cornice; the
smaller front on the W. has been removed except for
the end columns, and the window and door arrangement of the E. front recently altered. The rear elevation
has windows with wooden lintels and the doorways
have freestone lintels with keystones. The ground-floor
plan, originally consisting of two dwellings of classes 9
and 13, has been destroyed except for a central passage,
probably an original feature, which separated them; the
stair, rebuilt in the 19th century, has modern lower
flights. The first-floor rooms are arranged in double
depth. Original fielded panelling remains in some upper
rooms in one of which is an internal porch; beadedpanelled window reveals and a mahogany glazed cupboard in an alcove are early 19th-century. On the
second floor fireplaces have wooden bolection-moulded
surrounds of the early 18th century. The attic floors are
of plaster laid on reeds or straw.
A four-bay rear wing of two storeys and attics, with
brick walls, is early 19th-century. The recentlydestroyed late 18th-century apothecary's workshop of
three bays, of one storey and attic in mansard roof, was
of ashlar and brick. The main compartment had a
barrel-vault above which was a plaster floor to the
attic; in the rear wall were round-headed recesses containing later boilers etc. (Fig. 105).
(181) House, No. 20, front of three storeys and attics
in a hipped mansard roof, rear section of two storeys
under pitched roof, parapet, ashlar front, rubble rear
wall, has a class 13b plan. It was built in c. 1820 in which
year Thomas Mills, druggist, leased the site from the
Marquess of Exeter (Ex. MS). The two-bay street front
has upper windows with moulded surrounds, keystones
and moulded sills; below is a modern shop. It generally
conforms with Mills' own house adjoining (180).
(182) House, No. 21 (Plate 101), on a corner site,
three storeys and attics, ashlar-fronted, originally
class 10 plan with stacks in the rear wall, was built
in 1732. This date with initials 'HI', probably for
Humphry Iliffe, is inscribed on the surviving
chimney stack, together with the date '1793' and
initials 'TSE' for Thomas Snow, upholsterer, and his
wife Elizabeth. Snow bought the property in 1792
having leased it for several years, and dated rainwater heads bear his initials 'TS 1801' (deeds at No. 3
St. Leonard's Street).
The main front, in Ironmonger Street, has a central
round-headed doorway set in horizontally rusticated
walling almost totally removed by later shop fronts.
The upper storeys on both elevations exhibit an elaborate design articulated by fluted pilasters which
accentuate the central entrance bay on the E. The pilasters with bases at first-floor level carry separate architraves, friezes with triglyphs, and a continuous moulded
cornice below a plain parapet. The five-bay E. front
and two-bay S. front have platbands at sill level; the
windows have exaggerated voussoirs and moulded surrounds interrupted by rusticated blocks (Fig. 10). Interior fittings are limited to windows with moulded
architraves and beaded side panelling of the early 19th
century. The ground floor had become a shop by 1804
(Nattes' drawing), but in 1836 the present shop front
was installed by the proprietor Richard Knight who is
recorded as adding 'several elegant windows' (Mercury,
6 May 1836). These shop windows are on both elevations and have classical columns, some round, some
square, and modern plate glass.
(183) Undercroft (Fig. 106; Plate 59), beneath No.
23, with coursed rubble walls, and quadripartite vault
of segmental section, is of medieval date. The diagonal
ribs run down to the modern floor level, the remainder
die into the wall; all are heavily projecting and chamfered. The S.W. diagonal rib divides in order to
accommodate a doorway in the S. wall. This S. doorway, approached by a flight of steps, although much
restored retains some part of the original internally
rebated and externally chamfered jambs. The web of the
vault on the N. rises higher than elsewhere so as to
avoid an opening in the N. wall; this opening is now a
doorway but doubtless replaces an original feature,
probably a window. To the E. is a segmentallyvaulted compartment opening off the main undercroft
with which it is apparently contemporary. The axial rib
of the main vault is carried on the keystone of the outer
arch of the compartment. In the back wall is a recess of
Fig. 106 (183) 23 High Street
Plan of undercroft.
(184) House, Nos. 25–26 (Fig. 107; Plate 99),
originated as a timber-framed structure of the early
17th century, probably comprising three rooms
with continuous jetty facing the street. In 1645 a
stone-built wing was added at the rear and at sometime in the 17th century the back wall of the main
range was replaced in stone. Early in the 18th
century the street front was heightened and encased
and a further wing, jettied on the E., was added at
the rear; this resulted in a pair of houses of classes 9
and 13. Refitting in the early 19th century included
a central staircase and shop fronts.
Fig. 107 (184) 25–26 High Street.
The front elevation, of three storeys and attics, has
ashlar wall above the shop fronts. The windows, arranged as three pairs, have eared surrounds which step
up at the centre of the head (Fig. 10); single-sheet glazing recently replaced sash windows. A platband and
continuous sills stop short of the rusticated quoins. A
moulded cornice is independent of the quoins. Early
19th-century shop fronts largely survive and consist of
two doorways with classical columns between shop
windows; in the end bay is a plain opening to a public
footpath. Inside, ceiling beams in the front range indicate former axial and cross partitions; in the former
back wall is a 17th-century ovolo-moulded window. In
the N. gable of the rear wing is a stone inscribed '1645';
the windows, originally mullioned, have hood-moulds.
Fittings of the 18th century include a staircase in No. 25
with shaped splat balusters and a fireplace with a stone
eared surround now containing an early 19th-century
cast-iron grate with rococo decoration. Two rooms
with fielded panelling have quarter-octagonal corner
porches. The stair in No. 26 of the early 19th-century
has turned balusters and is set in a circular well having
round-headed niches at intervals.
(185) House, Nos. 28–30 (Plate 112), two storeys and
attics, originated as a single, probably timber-framed,
structure of unknown date. Early in the 18th century
Nos. 28 and 29 were refronted in ashlar. No. 30 became
a shop, and shortly before 1876 it was refronted with
terracotta details of extravagant design by Blashfield
(Mercury, 3 Mar.). The five-bay front of Nos. 28 and 29
has moulded plinth, platband, and a boldly projecting
cornice with plain frieze; surrounds to the windows and
to the central doorway have ovolo mouldings and keystones (Fig. 11). Shop fronts of c. 1830 have panelled
pilasters, capitals with roundel decoration, and later
(186) House, No. 31 (Plate 111), two storeys, attics
and cellar, ashlar front and coursed rubble rear walls, is
stylistically of c. 1740. The ground stage of the street
front has been removed for a shop, but above, the wall
has quoins alternately rusticated and beaded on the
arris. The windows have rounded surrounds of unusual but doubtless original profile. The widely projecting eaves are carried on a heavy modillion cornice.
On the ground floor the quoins have been reset further
E. beyond the modern shop front. Inside, the plan probably conformed to class 13b with the present modern
stairs in the position of the original. In an upper room is
18th-century panelling in two heights with bolectiontype moulding, dado rail and wooden cornice.
(187) House, No. 40, originally one storey and
attics, raised to two storeys and attics in the later 19th
century, has stone walls and is probably 17th-century.
It consists of a single ground-floor room and a side
passage, the 17th-century doorway to which has four-centred head and chamfered jambs in a rectangular
(188) House, No. 41 (Plate 105), two storeys, ashlar
walls, large and small unchamfered quoins (Plate 121),
was totally reconstructed as a shop in recent years. It
was built in the mid 18th century and some architectural
elements of this date have been reset in the present building the upper storey of which bears a superficial resemblance to the original. The ground floor is completely
modern. The main front is on the W.; the three upper
windows have moulded surrounds, eared at head and
foot, and triple keystones (Fig. 10). The centre part of
the wall extends above a renewed wooden dentilled
cornice as a decorative frontispiece with shaped cheeks
and a pediment enclosing branch-sprays; on the face is a
cartouche with scrolled surround, formerly bearing the
letters 'JSL' and crest (demi eagle with wings displayed).
Before the recent rebuilding, there was an early 19th-century shop front occupying two bays, and an adjacent
window with plain surround and triple keystone, all
below a platband; the parapeted gables terminated with
central chimney stacks, and there were dormer windows. The N. elevation now has a first-floor window
uniform with those on the W. but with a pediment.
No early features survive internally. At the N.E. corner
of the modern E. range is a one-stage buttress with
weathered top, of uncertain antiquity.
House, Nos. 46–47, demolished in 1966. Medieval
doorway reset at (253) Maiden Lane (q.v.).
Fig. 108 (189) 51 High Street (demolished).
(189) House, No. 51 (Fig. 108), was demolished in
1966. It originated as a three-storey late medieval
timber-framed house with an L-shaped plan and first-floor jetty (class 3); the compartment W. of the central
passage was originally divided into two rooms. In the
17th century a rectangular bay window was added, and
later the jetty was largely under-built. A second bay
window with canted sides was added in the 18th century, and a new roof constructed, lower on the E. than
on the W. The N. elevation (Plate 82) had an 18th-century central stone doorway with moulded architrave and cornice, and pulvinated frieze. The rectangular bay window had stone mullions on the lower two
floors, but the top storey was an 18th-century addition
of timber. On the extension of the rear wing was a
plaster panel dated 1690 and a representation of a windmill in the pargetting. Inside, the E. room had an
original stack in the rear wall. In the 18th century the
ceiling was raised and the room fitted with a plaster
cornice containing heads in roundels, and urns, linked
by swags; a chair rail with rosettes and a mahogany
veneered door with decorative inlay and enriched
architrave were also added. The W. room was sub-divided until c. 1600 when the E. wall was painted with
floral decoration (Plate 85). Built into the chimney was a
limestone panel (Plate 33), now in Stamford Museum,
'Vous qen ceste mesoun entrez
pur Blau(n)che fem(m)e al seign(eur) Wake p(ri)ez
file al counte de Lancastre Henri
as queux dieux face vraye merci'
Lady Wake, daughter of Henry, Earl of Lancaster, died
in 1380 and was buried in the Greyfriars, Stamford.
(190) House, No. 53, two storeys and cellar, class 4,
almost entirely rebuilt in recent years using some earlier
materials. A jetty on the N. is preserved (see Stamford
Report I, no. 66, p. 48).
(191) Houses, Nos. 54–55 (Fig. 109; Plate 93),
originated as a two-storey timber-framed building
of the early 16th century. It comprises two ranges:
one, of class 2 plan, faces High Street and is jettied
on that side; the other, slightly later, is parallel to
Cheyne Lane and jettied on both sides. In the late
17th century the jetty of the street range, on the N.,
was under-built in masonry, apparently with a shop
front. The same range was heightened to three
storeys in the first half of the 18th century, given a
new roof having principal rafters with curved feet,
and provided with an ashlar front elevation. The
lower part of a large chimney stack at the junction
of the two ranges was removed in this century.
The street front, of ashlar, has rusticated quoins,
moulded window surrounds with keystones, platband,
block cornice and a parapet. On the ground floor a
section of the 17th-century under-building of the
original jetty remains in the N.W. corner; it consists of
a moulded pilaster with vertical ribs, and there is indication of a large window opening on the main front with
a horizontal rib beneath the sill (Fig. 110); the feature is
repeated midway along the front. The whole length of
the W. side is jettied, but at the junction of the two
blocks the overhang varies suggesting marginally
different dates for the ranges. The rear range remains
two-storeyed, but no original openings survive.
Fig. 109 (191) 54–55 High Street.
Internally, the main range has wave-moulded axial
beams and a dragon beam at the N.W. corner. In the
angle of the two ranges was a timber-framed 18th-century stair turret, now surviving only on the upper
floors; the stair has turned balusters with square knops.
One room retains a fireplace with eared surround and
moulded shelf. In the rear range are axial beams with
mouldings similar to those in the main range, but other
beams are encased. The original arrangement of rooms
in this range is not clear but it may have consisted only
of two rooms on the ground floor. The roof, of three
bays, has tie beams with arch braces to swell-headed
Fig. 110 (191) 54–55 High Street
Remains of 17th-century shop front.
(192) House, No. 56, three-storey main range, twostorey rear wing, resembling class 5; originally timber-framed throughout but the street front was cased in
stone in the early 19th century. It is probably 16th-century but has had a number of later alterations. The
main building is L-shaped with a jetty along the full
length of its E. side, facing Cheyne Lane, and the remains of a second jetty on the W. side of the rear wing.
The long jetty is carried on six unchamfered brackets
and stops at its S. end against a corbelled-out masonry
wall, originally the S. gable wall of the wing; the W.
jetty is largely hidden by a long 19th-century bay
window. The wing was extended first in coursed rubble
in the 17th century, then in brick in the early 19th. The
roof of the front range is asymmetrical; the ridge is
centred over the front part and the eaves on the street
side are higher than those at the rear. The street front
has a long early 19th-century shop front with pilasters;
the upper part of the wall is in three bays with sash
windows and continuous sills. Inside, the front range
has an axial, cased beam placed off-centre, perhaps
suggesting a former passage at the rear of the front
room; on the third floor such a passage exists. The rear
range has a thick S. gable wall incorporating a chimney
stack, but this has been removed on the ground floor.
The ceiling has intersecting beams with wave-andhollow mouldings. On the first floor, the wing has a
central and two terminal tie beams supported by arch
braces from swell-headed posts; the roof has clasped
purlins and wind-braces. In the W. wall the absence of
peg-holes in the wall plate indicates two former windows. Later fittings include an early 18th-century
bolection-moulded overmantel in three panels.
(193) House, No. 57, of two and three storeys, cellars,
with ashlar walls, consists of an early 18th-century street
block and a rear wing, possibly contemporary, with
small projecting closet at its far end. The front elevation
is late 19th-century in a mid 18th-century style. The
windows of the rear wing have moulded architraves
and fluted keystones. The ground floor has been gutted
for a shop, but on the first floor an early 18th-century
wooden cornice remains (Plate 123). In the rear wing is
a mid 18th-century cupboard with rounded head, key
block and semi-dome painted with scene of frolicking
cupids with bunches of grapes.
(194) House, No. 59 (Plate 92), formerly the Pineapple Inn, three storeys and attics, has a wide eaves
cornice supported on moulded brackets (Plate 123),
ashlar front wall with bold quoins, platband, and windows with moulded architraves; it was built in the early
18th century. The roof with clasped purlins remains.
(195) House, No. 63, three storeys, ashlar front, class
14b, probably dates from 1819 when the freehold was
sold (Mercury, 15th Oct.). It was then described as good
and substantial and having a shop, counting house, two
good parlours and four bedrooms. The ground floor
has been gutted for a modern shop.
(196) House, No. 64, two storeys and attics, ashlar
front and rubble rear walls, has a class 12 plan; ground
floor partitions have since been removed. It was built in
the first half of the 18th century but the plain two-bay
front wall is early 19th-century. The rear wing has
windows with emphasized keystones and heavy glazing
bars. Inside, the first-floor rooms have fielded panelling
of two heights and wooden cornices; off the front room
is an original closet. The stair, of which only the upper
flights survive, has turned balusters, cut string with
scrolls decorated with rosettes, and ramped and moulded
(197) House, Nos. 68–69, two storeys, is 18th-century.
The ashlar front wall has bold quoins, platband, two
pairs of first-floor windows with moulded architraves
and plain keystones. The remainder is much altered and
(198) House, No. 70, two storeys, attics and cellar,
stone walls, is 18th-century. The ground floor, originally conforming to class 14b, has been entirely gutted
except for an internal side passage. One room has an
18th-century wooden cornice. The house was extended
at the rear twice in the early 19th century, first in brick
then in stone.
(199) House, No. 71, three storeys and cellar, with
ashlar front elevation having platband between upper
storeys, was built c. 1820–30; soon afterwards two
warehouses each of two storeys were added at the rear.
The house, comprising a single room on each floor and a
kitchen in the cellar (class 15), has a plain but elegant
semicircular staircase behind a chimney stack. The first-floor room contains a fireplace with angle-roundels
and a plaster ceiling with Greek key pattern. The first
warehouse has brick walls, the second stone, and both
have mansard roofs.
(200) House, No. 72, two storeys and attics, ashlar
front and rubble rear walls, class 10 plan, is mid 18th-century. The front has rusticated quoins, and four upper
windows with continuous sills, moulded architraves and
keystones; the ground floor has been gutted for modern
shop. Rooms on the first floor, originally arranged in
double depth, contain 18th-century moulded door
(201) House and Shop, No. 74, three storeys and
attics, coursed rubble with freestone dressings, class 10
plan, sash windows, moulded stone cornice to gabled
roof, was described as being newly built and having a
large shop when it was sold in 1840 by St. John's
Rectory (Ex. MS, 63/2 1–7). The present shop front