For monuments on the N. side of the Market Place, see
p. 132; for those on the E., p. 81. For notes on the evolution of the Market Place and surrounding streets, see
(34) House, No. 32 Cheesemarket, of three storeys
with brick and ashlar walls and with slate-covered roofs,
dates from the second half of the 18th century. The
lower storey of the four-bay facade has 19th-century
stone rustication; the brick upper storeys retain original
stone quoins, plat-band, cornice and parapet. The
square-headed sashed windows and other original woodwork remain. A photograph (Plate 14) taken before
1859 depicts the facade of No. 32 very much as it is
(35) House, No. 31 Cheesemarket, of three storeys
with a modest 18th-century brick facade and a tiled
roof, is substantially a timber-framed building of 14th-century origin. Described in mediaeval leases as a messuage with shops and cellars, it was owned in 1396 by
Nicholas Taillour, citizen and draper of London and
Sarum; 1396–1417 by William Baly, draper; 1417–22
by Richard Oword; then by Richard Gage. (fn. 1) A market
regulation of c. 1440 orders 'that victuallers bringing
cheese, milk, grapes, plums, apples, pears and other
fruits to the city shall be constrained in future to keep
the place assigned them opposite the tenement once of
Richard Oword, now of John (sic) Gage, where the new
cross is built'. (fn. 2) The mediaeval tenement occupied the
sites of Monuments (35) and (36) and perhaps also (34).
In 1541 it was sold by Sir Henry Lang to Robert Eyre,
with a garden which lay across the river, behind the
mill. (fn. 3)
During the second half of the 17th century, when Sir
Samuel Eyre built a large house (36) on land immediately to the W., part of the lower storey of the old
house was opened up to make a carriage through-way.
The S. wall of the original building, with very stout
chamfered posts and curved braces, is visible on the S.
side of the through-way. Inside the house a few chamfered beams, stout posts and braces are exposed, but the
14th-century structure is largely masked by plaster. In
the roof a collar purlin and some curved braces are seen.
For a time during the 19th century the building was the
Post Office. (fn. 4)
Monuments W. and S. of the Market Place
Map based on O.S. 1880.
(36) House, No. 29 Cheesemarket, a large town house
of the latter part of the 17th century, is of two storeys
with cellars and attics and has brick walls and tiled roofs.
After being acquired in 1541 by Robert Eyre (see (35))
the tenement remained with the Eyre family until 1780.
The house was built by Sir Samuel Eyre between 1663
and 1689. A lease of 1697 granted by Robert Eyre
to Ferdinand Younge, apothecary, provides a schedule
of goods and a list of rooms, including a withdrawing
room and a great parlour; it also mentions a bridge with
two doors leading to a garden on the other side of the
river. (fn. 5) The old house (35) was used for service rooms,
but there were 'two wainscot rooms' over the coach
house, wood house and coal house.
(36) No. 29 Cheesemarket
The symmetrical five-bay S. front has been partly
covered by additions, but the rusticated brick quoins,
plaster eaves cove and moulded cornice remain visible.
The central doorway has gone. Many windows have
18th-century sashes, but the staircase window in the N.
elevation retains an original oak mullion and transom
with leaded iron casements. Inside, the 17th-century oak
close-string staircase (Plate 87) has panelled newel posts,
turned and twisted balusters, stout moulded handrails
and dados with fielded panelling. Some first-floor rooms
have moulded plaster cornices, panelled dados and bolection-moulded chimneypieces. The attic stairs have
original turned balusters and moulded handrails. Beams
with 15th-century mouldings in the cellar are
(37) Offices and Shops, formerly the Vine Inn, Nos.
28 Cheesemarket and 2–4 St. Thomas's Square, are
mainly two-storeyed and have walls partly of brick and
partly of timber framework, tile-hung to simulate brickwork; the roofs are slate-covered and tiled. Although the
buildings appear to be mainly of late 18th and early
19th-century origin the plan indicates a large mediaeval
courtyard house, and this is confirmed in several documents. In 1400 Thomas Boyton, bowyer, bequeathed
the tenement to his wife Gunnora (fn. 6) and in 1421 his
executor sold it to Robert Okebourne. Many later deeds
survive. (fn. 7) Early in the 17th century, when the house
belonged to the Webb family, it was occupied as a town
house by Edward Penruddock of Compton Chamberlayne. The lease included a schedule of 'thinges to be left
att the end of his tearme' listed room by room. The
document shows that the house comprised nine ground-floor rooms including a hall, a large parlour hung with
pictures, and a study; there were eleven upper chambers.
Subsequently the house declined in status and later
tenants were a tanner, a clothier and a goldsmith. In
1637 Sir John Webb sold the house to William Joyce. In
1647 Joyce let it to William Vyner, vintner, again with a
room-by-room schedule; a new staircase rising through
three storeys is mentioned. Hence forward the building
was called the Vine Inn. A trade token issued by Vyner
in 1657 shows the device of a bunch of grapes; (fn. 8) he was
mayor in 1668 and died in 1677. In 1679 John Joyce or
his executors sold the property to the Corporation. A
survey made in 1716 shows that some of the main rooms
overlooked the street while others, including the hall, lay
on the N. of a courtyard and extended as far as the
river; (fn. 9) eleven chambers had names such as Lyon,
Dolphin and Vine (the latter on the first floor at the
N.E. corner of the house, overlooking Cheesemarket). A
range on the S. of the courtyard contained kitchens and
In 1795, as part of an exchange made when the
Guildhall (13) was built, the Vine Inn became the
property of the Dean and Chapter. (fn. 10) In 1835 a row of
buildings adjoining the Vine Inn was pulled down for
the enlargement of St. Thomas's churchyard and the S.
range of the inn was refronted. (fn. 11) In 1861–2 the part of
the tenement adjacent to the R. Avon was leased to the
Church for the construction of a school. (fn. 12) The school
was pulled down in 1974 to make way for two new
houses, one of them St. Thomas's Rectory.
Of this extensive inn, the yard and the carriage
through-way leading into the yard from Cheesemarket
are still distinguishable. The through-way has become a
shop (No. 28). The jettied first floor can be seen in the
northern part of the E. front (No. 28a) behind 19th-century and later facings. Inside, an 18th-century closestring staircase with a moulded handrail and turned
balusters, on the N. of the former through-way, is
probably the 'substantial staircase up to a room called
the Vine' covenanted for in a lease of 1702. (fn. 13)
(38) House, No. 27 Cheesemarket, of three storeys
with late 18th-century walls of ashlar and brick and with
a modern flat roof, occupies the site of the mediaeval
Council House (1416–1584). It was built in or soon
after 1797 by H. Jeffrey, who acquired the tenement
from the Corporation in that year. In 1783 the former
building was still known as 'the old council house'. (fn. 14)
The W. front, of ashlar in the lower storey, has three
bays. A 19th-century shop window occupies the N. bay.
The middle bay has a doorway of c. 1797 with a
panelled door-case with reeded pilasters and an open
pediment hood with a wreath in the tympanum (cf.
(415)). The S. bay has a plain sashed window. The brickfaced upper storeys have plain sashed windows with
gauged brick heads and keystones, or blind recesses. At
the top is a moulded and bracketed wooden cornice and
a plain parapet. The two-bay N. elevation and the S.
elevation have similar features. Inside, the stairs have
open strings and scrolled spandrels ornamented with
guttae. Several rooms have panelled dados.
(39) Warehouse, of three storeys with brick walls
and slate-covered roofs, is of the early 19th century.
(40) House, No. 19 Oatmeal Row, of three and two
storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of
15th or 16th-century origin but has been much altered.
The jettied E. front is hung with mathematical tiles and
has sashed windows. Inside, the E. first-floor room
retains some original plasterwork with roses and estoiles.
The winding stairs are largley modern, but retain an
original circular oak newel post and some original oak
(41) House, No. 18 Oatmeal Row, demolished 1958,
was timber-framed and of three storeys with an attic; it
probably dated from late in the 16th century. The E.
front was jettied at the second floor. The building had
been altered inside and the roof had been renewed, but
the moulded barge-boards of the E. gable were probably
original. Being of later date than the houses on each side,
the building had no lateral walls.
(42) House, No. 17 Oatmeal Row, of three storeys
with attics, with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is
of the first half of the 17th century. Above a modern
ground-floor shop window the gabled E. front has an
original two-storeyed bow window with moulded timber
mullions and transoms and a flat roof supported on
shaped brackets with turned pendants; between storeys
the mullions continue, enclosing plaster panels with
fleur-de-lis enrichment. The roof is of five bays.
(42-3) Nos. 17 and 16 Oatmeal Row.
(43) House, No. 16 Oatmeal Row, with characteristics
as in (42), is of the late 16th or early 17th century. The
gabled E. front is jettied at the second floor. Inside, the
E. first-floor room has 17th-century oak panelling and a
contemporary chimneypiece with shafted uprights and
chip-carving. At the W. end of the W. room the posts
of a former outside wall retain mortices for a window
which projected under the second floor jetty. In the
third storey the W. elevation has a rectangular projecting
window of seven lights. The S. wall of this house comprises the former N. front of the adjacent house (44),
an earlier building.
(44) House, No. 15 Oatmeal Row, perhaps originally
two houses, each three-storeyed with attics, has tile-hung timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and is of the
mid 16th century. The building was originally isolated
and the upper storeys are jettied on all four sides; where
revealed, the jetties have heavily moulded oak sills.
Mortices for the mullions of projecting windows, now
gone, are seen on the underside of the jetties. The two
lower storeys have been combined by the removal of the
first floor and the space so formed is occupied by a
shop. On the N. side the two upper storeys are seen inside the adjacent house (43).
(45) House, No. 14 Ox Row, of three storeys and
attic, with brick walls and a tiled roof, is of the early
18th century. In the upper storeys the original stairs
have close strings and turned balusters. The roof has
collared trusses with cruck-shaped principals.
(46) Warehouse, No. 13 Ox Row, demolished in
1962, had a four-storeyed N. front of brickwork, with
three bays of plain sashed windows; externally the building appeared to be of the late 19th century. Inside, however, there was an early 18th-century staircase with
square newel posts, moulded close strings and twisted
balusters. The N. room on the first floor had contemporary bolection-moulded panelling in two heights. Removal of this panelling revealed a two-storeyed late
mediaeval building with timber-framed walls with wattleand-daub infilling.
(47) City Arms Inn, of two storeys with tile-hung
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of 16th-century
origin, but considerably altered. Inside, a ground-floor
room retains a moulded beam and a stone fireplace
surround with a moulded four-centred head and jambs
with shaped stops. Scratchings on the fireplace fascia
include a unicorn, a stag, other animals and numerous
initials; these appear to the of the 17th century or
(48) Houses, two, Nos. 6–7 Ox Row, now united and
used as a shop, are three-storeyed and have brick walls
and tiled roofs; they are probably of mid 18th-century
origin, but retain few original features. On the S. front
each building has an early 19th-century elevation, but
on the N. they are united by a common facade with a
wide pediment-like gable with a moulded wooden
cornice, often a conspicuous feature in early views of the
Market Place (e.g. Rowlandson, c. 1800, V.C.H., Wilts. vi,
opp. p.138). In the top storey the facade retains three
original windows with false round heads, the lateral windows being of Palladian form. The two lower storeys
have modern windows. Probably reset at the W. end of
the ground floor is an original pedimented door-case, the
entablature of which includes a window.
(49) Shop, No. 5 Ox Row, of three storeys with cellar
and attic, with rendered and tile-hung timber-framed
walls and a tiled roof, is of the early 18th century. In
the first and second storeys the N. front has original bow
windows, each of three bays with hung sashes, curved on
(50) Duchess of Albany, former inn, demolished in
1973, was of three storeys with cellar and attic; it had
brick walls and slated and tiled roofs. It was partly of
the late 18th and partly of the mid 19th century.