(64) Shoulder of Mutton Inn, demolished in 1962,
was two-storeyed with brick walls and tiled roofs and
appeared to be of late 18th or early 19th-century origin.
A plan of 1849 by Peniston is in W.R.O. (451/187).
(65) House, now a shop, is two-storeyed with brick
walls and a tiled roof and dates from the middle of the
18th century. The S. front was formerly symmetrical
and of five bays with a central doorway and sashed
windows, but the openings of the lower storey have been
replaced by shop-windows. The plan, formerly of class
T, has been obliterated.
(66) Town Mill, of three storeys with lofts and
having brick walls and tiled roofs, probably occupies the
site of a mill built by Bishop Richard Poore in the 13th
century (V.C.H., Wilts. vi, 90). The present mill dates
from 1757. Extensions with walls of flint and ashlar and
with mullioned and transomed stone windows were
added in 1898. The 18th-century building, oblong on
plan and plain in elevation, spans a branch of the R.
Avon; its S.W. corner rests on an ashlar substructure
with a wide chamfered plinth, possibly mediaeval. The
date 1756 is carved on the keystone of a relieving arch in
the N. wall. The five-bay roof has tie-beam trusses with
lower angle struts.
(67) Houses, three adjoining, Nos. 12–14 Bridge
Street, of three storeys with brick walls and slated roofs,
appear to be of the first half of the 19th century. A plan
of 1849 by Peniston (W.R.O., 451/187) designates the
two western houses 'London Inn', as also do Kingdon &