(71) Wheatsheaf Inn, Nos. 7–9, comprises two houses
with rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. No. 9
has two storeys and an attic and is of the 14th century;
No. 7, of three storeys with attic and cellar, is of the
15th century. An extension on the S. of No. 9 is of c.
(71) Wheatsheaf Inn.
No. 9 has a gabled and jettied N. front; the original
S. front is masked by the extension; the W. elevation has
no notable features. Inside, the N. first-floor room has a
beam with roll and ogee mouldings. The roof has braced
collared rafters with a collar purlin. A crown-post
remains in the roof at the position indicated (cp).
No. 7 has first and second-floor jetties in the gabled
N. front (Plate 64) and restored bow windows in the
second and third storeys. Inside, although the partitions
of the rooms in the two lower storeys have gone, the
beams define three main bays. A 15th-century stone fireplace (Plate 90) is not in situ; masonry in the cellar
suggests that it formerly stood on the E. side of the S.
bay. In the third storey, where original partitions
remain, the S. chamber has a beam and wall-plates with
ogee and triple roll-mouldings.
A mediaeval house of two storeys and an attic, adjoining the Wheatsheaf Inn on the E., appears in an old
photograph (Lov. Cn., 107).
(72) House, No. 3, of two storeys with an attic, has
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and is of the 15th
century. The gabled N. and S. elevations are largely
masked by modern extensions. Inside, original timber
framework indicates a plan with two square rooms on
each floor, each room having two bays. Mortices indicate
the position of former partitions, windows etc. A
chimney-stack occupies the middle of the E. wall. The
four-bay roof has three tie-beam trusses with cambered
collars, lower king-struts and clasped purlins; the gable
trusses have lower angle braces.
(73) House, of three storeys with attics, with rendered early 16th-century timber-framed walls and with
tiled roofs, was extensively damaged by fire in 1973,
especially at the S. end. The wide plan comprises two
parallel original ranges with roofs ridged N.–S., each
range having four bays; the first and second floors are
jettied N. and E. A fifth bay added on the S., perhaps c.
1800, concealed the original S. front which came to
light in 1973. The N. elevation has two equal gables; on
the S. the roof is hipped. Above modern shop windows
the second and third storeys had early 19th-century
windows, now renewed. In the second storey the N.E.
corner retains a moulded dragon post and bracket; elsewhere the second-floor jetty is supported by hollow-chamfered brackets. The two four-bay roofs have tie-beam trusses with lower angle-braces and cambered
collars. The date 1664 is punched on the bressummer of
a first-floor fireplace.