The position of monuments (104)–(117) is shown on
the map of New Street Chequer, p. 95.
(104) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 73 and 71, of three
storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs, were built early
in the 19th century. The N. front of each house comprises a modern shop window in the lower storey and a
sashed window in each upper storey.
(105) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 63 and 61, of two
storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, date
from c. 1820. The N. fronts have square-headed doorways and plain sashed windows.
(106) House, No. 47, of two storeys with attics, has
walls partly of flint and rubble and partly of timber
framework; the roofs are tiled. Of 14th-century origin,
the building was enlarged and altered late in the 16th
century and further enlarged in the 18th century.
Mediaeval rubble masonry in the N. front rises
through two storeys in the eastern bay and extends into
the gable; the lower part has large ashlar quoins. Wall
thicknesses suggest that the rendered lower storey of the
western bay and also the E. wall are contemporary. The
upper storey and gable of the western bay of the N.
front are now tile-hung but a photograph taken before
1948 shows timber framework, perhaps of the 16th
century. A lead rainwater head is dated 1569.
In the timber-framed S.E. wing the first floor is
jettied on the W., but the overhang is masked by the
18th-century stair bay. The W. ground-floor room of the
N. range has an open fireplace with hollow-chamfered
stone jambs and a later timber bressummer. The N.E.
room has 18th-century panelling. (Illustration, p. 79.)
(107) New Inn, of two storeys with timber-framed
walls and tiled roofs, is of the late 15th or early 16th
century; the S.W. wing was added late in the 18th
century. In the three-bay N. front (Plate 62), jettied
at the first floor, the arrangement of doorways and
windows suggests that the range was once divided to
form three cottages, but this was not the original arrange
ment. The roof, with four upper-cruck trusses, has pegholes and mortices which show that the second truss
from the E. was originally arch-braced (section B-B)
whereas the other trusses are closed with studwork and
wattle; it thus appears that the two E. bays of the range
originally contained a first-floor hall.
(106–7) No. 47 New Street and New Inn.
Inside, the ground-floor room of the middle bay has
an original chamfered ceiling beam. The E. and S. fireplaces have chamfered timber bressummers. The S.W.
wing contains a large first-floor room lined with pine
panelling and lit by a Palladian window in the S. wall.
(108) Cottages, pair, Nos. 37–9, originally one, are
two-storeyed with brick-faced and rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. The two-bay N. range,
probably of 15th or 16th-century origin, is masked by a
19th-century facade. The small brick S. wing is of the
18th century. Inside, some chamfered timbers are seen.
The roof retains an original tie-beam truss with a cambered collar and upper struts.
(109) House, No. 35, of two storeys with attics, with
brick walls and tiled roofs, is of the early 19th century.
Now communicating with No. 33 by doorways cut
through the party-walls, it appears originally to have
been a separate dwelling. The N. front has two round-headed recesses flanking a central doorway with a pedimented door-case. Each recess originally contained two
storeys of three-light sashed windows but in the W.
recess these have now been altered.
(110) House, No. 33, mainly of two storeys with
attics, but with a three-storeyed N. range, has brick walls
and tiled roofs and was built about the middle of the
18th century. The four-bay facade has moulded brick
plat-bands and cornice and a classical door-case with
Tuscan columns and entablature. Inside, the staircase
hall has plaster vaulting and the stairs have turned newel
posts and plain balusters. A ground-floor room is lined
with fielded panelling in two heights. Several 18th-century chimneypieces are preserved. Additions on the
S. date from early in the 19th century.
A mid 19th-century block-plan of monuments
(108)–(110), by Peniston, is in W.R.O. (451/179).
(111) House, No. 31, of two storeys with attics, has
brick walls and tiled roofs. The tenement belongs to St.
Nicholas's Hospital (26) and is probably mentioned in
13th-century records, (fn. 1) but the present structure is not
earlier than the first half of the 18th century. The
three-bay N. front has moulded brick plat-bands and
plain sashed windows; three of the latter on the first
floor form a three-sided projecting bay. Inside, several
rooms have panelled dados and moulded cornices. Three
rooms have 18th-century carved wooden chimneypieces
(112) Cottage, No. 29, of two storeys with rendered
timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, is of the early 16th
(113) Houses, three adjoining, Nos. 27, 25 and 21, of
three storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs,
are of the early 19th century. The unified N. front forms
an approximately symmetrical four-bay facade in which
the two middle bays of the first floor are occupied by a
three-sided projecting window. Elsewhere there are plain
sashed windows or modern shop fronts.
(114) Houses, pair, Nos. 11 and 9, now united as
offices, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and date from c. 1840.
(115) House, No. 7, of two storeys with an attic, has
rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and probably is of 15th-century origin. The two-bay N. front,
jettied at the first floor, has sashed windows and a plain
doorway. Inside, the N. ground-floor room has 18th-century panelling.
(116) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 5 and 3, formerly
a single dwelling, are three-storeyed with brick walls and
slate-covered roofs and were built c. 1840. The N. front
is of five bays.
(117) House, No. 1, of two storeys with an attic, has
brick walls and tiled roofs. The N. range is of the early
16th century; the stairs and S.W. wing were added in the
17th century. A large original fireplace in the gabled E.
wall is blocked internally, but the brick chimneybreast
remains. Inside, some rooms in the N. range have plain
18th-century panelling; 17th-century panelling remains
in the S.W. wing.
For the N. side of New Street, see New Street Chequer,
pp. 95, 105–7.