Monuments in Swayne's Chequer.
(155) House, No. 41 Milford Street, of three storeys
with tile-hung timber-framed walls and tile-covered
roofs, dates from early in the 17th century (Plate 66).
The S. and W. fronts are jettied at the first and second
floors. The ground-floor rooms retain stop-chamfered
beams, but the walls have been rebuilt. In the second
and third storeys a considerable quantity of original
framework survives. The roofs have tie-beam trusses with
collars and queen-struts, two butt-purlins on each side,
and small plain wind-braces. In 1972, while the building
was being remodelled, the timber framework was temporarily exposed.
(155) No. 41 Milford Street
(156) House, Nos. 62–4 Winchester Street, is of two
storeys with attics and has brick walls and tiled roofs.
Built about the middle of the 18th century as a town
house of medium size, it now is divided into several
dwellings and has shops in the ground-floor rooms. The
N. front retains the principal doorway with a rounded
hood supported by Tuscan columns; in the upper
storey are six plain sashed windows. Inside, on the first
floor, the original stairs remain. Room a is lined from
floor to ceiling with fielded panelling in two heights.
Room b has a chimneypiece with a scroll frieze.
(157) Houses, range of six, Nos. 66–76 Winchester
Street, are three-storeyed with brick walls and slated
roofs and were built early in the 19th century. The
facade of each house has one sashed window in each
storey and a plain doorway at street level.
(158) Cottages, range of seven, Nos. 2–14 Guilder
Lane, are two-storeyed with timber-framed walls set on
rubble plinths and with tiled roofs. They date from the
second half of the 15th century and replace a corner
house with a shop and four cottages repeatedly mentioned in earlier mediaeval deeds (Sar. D. & C.M.,
Sarum deeds, boxes 1 and 2, passim). One deed records
that the corner site was vacant in 1443. In the present
buildings the first floor is jettied W. and E., but the W.
side has been under-built and the original wall of the
lower storey removed. The E. side retains a jetty with
curved brackets. Former casements have been replaced
by 18th-century sashes.
(159) Malthouse, now demolished, was of two storeys
with brick walls and tiled roofs and was built late in the
18th century. The eight-bay E. elevation had shallow
buttresses between the bays and openings with flat
arches of guaged brick. (Plan of 1849, W.R.O., 451/
(160) Houses, two adjacent, now combined, No.
61 Milford Street, are single-storeyed with attics. The
corner house has timber-framed walls and dates from the
15th century; the adjoining house has brick walls and is
of the early 18th century; both have tiled roofs. The
15th-century house has an early 19th-century shop
window facing Milford Street. (Plan of 1849, W.R.O.,
(161) House, No. 59 Milford Street, of two storeys
with attics, with tile-hung timber-framed walls and a
tiled roof, was built early in the 18th century, but has
been extensively altered.
(162) House, No. 57 Milford Street, of two storeys
with brick walls and a tiled roof, is of the late 18th
century. The S. front is symmetrical and of two bays
with a central doorway. (Plan of 1849, W.R.O., 451/
(163) House, No. 55 Milford Street, of two storeys
with rendered brick walls and a tiled roof, is of the mid
18th century. The S. front has a doorway and a three-light sashed window in the lower storey, and three
sashed windows in the upper storey. (Plan of 1849,
(164) Crystal Fountain Inn, of two and three storeys
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, was built c.
1840 and demolished in 1969. The plan of 1849
(W.R.O., 451/207) indicates an extensive brewery.
(165) Tailors' Hall, demolished in 1971, was of two
storeys and had walls partly of flint and rubble, but
mainly of timber framework, and a tiled roof. The
demolished structure was of 16th-century origin and
must have been a surviving fragment of the 'convenyant mansion house' erected by the tailors' craft guild
in 1534. (fn. 1) A plan dated 1823 by W. Sleat, architect, is
preserved among the guild records. (fn. 2)
(165) Tailors' Guild Hall.
Up to the first floor the W. wall was of flint, patched
with stone and brick; above that level it was of weather-boarded timber framework (Plate 67). In the upper
storey was a projecting window with five transomed
lights on the W. and with narrower lights on N. and
S.; the oak mullions and transoms had ovolo and hollow-chamfered mouldings. The N. wall had been rebuilt in
brickwork late in the 19th century; O.S. (1880) shows
it about 3 ft. further north. In the lower storey the E.
wall was of stout timber stud-work; above the first floor
it was of modern materials. In the upper storey the S.
wall retained a few uprights from a former partition.
Inside, the first floor rested on large chamfered
beams which intersected to form nine panels of unequal
size. Some fragments of 17th-century oak panelling
were found in the first-floor room.