New Street Chequer
Monuments in Mitre Chequer, New Street Chequer and New Street.
The George Inn
(171) Houses, four adjoining, Nos. 25–31 High
Street, of three storeys with brick and tile-hung walls
and with slate-covered roofs, were built early in the 19th
century. All the ground-floor rooms have been obliterated
to make shops. Nos. 29–31 were originally a pair of
houses, but have been combined; they have a common
W. front of two bays with plain sashed windows in each
upper storey. No. 27, of c. 1830 and with a two-bay
facade, now contains two ground-floor shops. No. 25,
demolished and rebuilt in 1975, had a two-bay facade of
c. 1800 with a single sashed bow window at first-floor
level. Inside, all four houses had plain 19th-century
joinery and plasterwork. Below the ground floor, No. 25
retained the lower part of a former cellar with N., E. and
S. walls of coursed stonework, perhaps mediaeval.
(172) House, No. 23 High Street, demolished in
1967, was of three storeys and had rendered timber-framed walls, jettied in the W. front, and tiled roofs; it
was of 16th-century origin. The lower storey contained
a modern shop front; the second storey had two 18th-century bow windows under the jetty; the jettied third
storey had two 19th-century sashed windows, each with
three lights (Plate 102). The roof had collared tie-beam
trusses with lower angle struts and clasped purlins.
In mediaeval times the site was part of a tenement
called The Leg, of which the history is traceable through
deeds dating from 1364. (fn. 1) In 1455, when it belonged to
William White of Mere, another tenement owned by him
in New Street provided a back entrance. (fn. 2) Subsequently
the whole property belonged to Sir Thomas Audeley,
and in 1495 part of it was leased to John Godfrey, tailor.
Audeley's property included a kitchen and a barton. The
kitchen and barton appear again in a deed of 1533
together with shops, solars and a cellar. During the 16th
century the whole tenement passed to the Tailors'
Guild, which retained it until late in the 19th century.
A description is included in the survey of guild lands
made in 1657. (fn. 3) The extent of the tenement in 1823 is
shown on a plan by W. Sleat. (fn. 4)
(173) The George Inn, as it survives, is of two and
three storeys with walls mainly of timber framework and
with tiled roofs (Plate 61). The existing W. range is only
a small part of an important inn, mainly built during the
third quarter of the 14th century, but also making use of
antecedent buildings. A strong wall of rubble and ashlar
on the N. side, parallel with New Canal and therefore
joining High Street front obliquely, probably dates from
the 13th century. A stone doorway and window in the
S. range, now gone, but attested in 19th-century drawings
(below, p. 98), was perhaps of the same period.
The inn belonged to the corporation from 1413 to
1858, but after c. 1760 it was occupied not as an inn,
but as dwellings. In 1858 the buildings again became a
hostelry, but were extensively altered, everything being
pulled down except the W. range. About the same time,
the N. range was built. In 1967 the N. range was demolished and the lower storey of the W. range was remodelled, the carriage through-way which led from High
Street to the inn yard being replaced by a wider passage
as the pedestrian entrance to a modern shopping precinct
(Old George Mall). The upper rooms of the W. range
were adapted as a restaurant.
A detailed history of the inn might be compiled from
the numerous deeds, leases and surveys preserved in the
city archives. William Teynturer the younger (mayor
1361 and 1375), a merchant of great energy and enterprise who left much property when he died in 1377, (fn. 5)
bought three properties in High Street in 1357 and
1361. (fn. 6) All of these may have become part of the inn
site, especially one acquired from the family of John de
Homyngton, cook, which included a shop with solars
beside an entry which led to the hall of another house,
then occupied for life by Peter Moundelard who had
been living there since 1342. It is possible that Moundelard's house contained the stone doorway and window
mentioned above. In 1371 Teynturer added a curtilage
which lay 'behind the tenement and wall of William
Mountagu in Wynchestrestret' (now New Canal; i.e. the
site of monument (176), an 18th-century building). (fn. 7)
A document of 1401 mentions a barn and a laundry in
the S. part of the ground obtained from Mountagu; (fn. 8)
this probably corresponds with the barn at the George
leased with other buildings to Thomas Allesley, 'osteler',
in 1427. (fn. 9) The earliest use of the name 'Georgesin'
occurs in a deed of 1379 relating to the adjacent house
(172). (fn. 10) The name recalls the merchant guild of the city,
dedicated to St. George, and it is not unlikely that
Teynturer from the beginning of his ownership meant
the inn to become city property. (fn. 11) The purchase of the
property by the city took place in 1413 when royal and
episcopal licences permitted the city to acquire property
to the value of 100 marks; (fn. 12) thereafter the George appears
in the chamberlain's account rolls. (fn. 13) Some idea of the
inn's furnishings and movable fittings may be obtained
from the list of goods and utensils which were left for
sale by the last private owner, Sir George Meriot, who
died in 1410. (fn. 14) The inn came to him through his wife
Alice, previously married to William Teynturer. The
most interesting of numerous later documents is a lease
of 1474 to John Gryme, which includes an inventory of
permanent fittings. (fn. 15) Fourteen lodging chambers are
listed, each with a distinctive name and all furnished
with beds and tables; the principal chamber was the only
room in which a fireplace is mentioned. There is no
mention of a hall (the word aula denotes a small lobby
adjoining the Fitzwareyne chamber); the tavern or wine
cellar and the buttery were used as public rooms. The
surviving building, with only five chambers, is insufficient
in relation to the known extent of the mediaeval inn for
any identification of rooms to be possible. Later descriptions of the George occur in surveys of city property
made in 1618, 1716 and 1783. (fn. 16) The extent of the
buildings in the 19th century is recorded on a plan of
c. 1850 by F.R. Fisher (Plate 13); (fn. 17) it shows the inn's
narrow frontage to High Street, with the through-way
leading to a narrow courtyard surrounded by buildings;
further E. were other yards and stables.
The picturesque quality of the buildings attracted
many 19th-century artists whose work affords some idea
of the former appearance of the street front and of the
courtyard (Plates 4–7). Buckler's drawing of 1805
shows the remains of the pargeting which was applied in
1593. (fn. 18) Inside the yard, the W. part of the N. range,
near the E. end of the through-way from High Street,
comprised a tall building with first and second-floor
jetties; it was drawn thus by W.H. Charlton in 1813
(Plate 6), but the top storey had been removed when the
view by Goodall and Surgey was painted, c. 1850
(Plate 4). Closing the E. end of the courtyard, Sir Henry
Dryden in a watercolour dated 1859 (Plate 6) shows a
three-storeyed building with two gables with elaborately
cusped bargeboards; the same building is shown in a
drawing of 1833 by William Twopeny (Plate 7). A passage
on the N. of this building led to the stable yard. The
drawings show that the eastern part of the S. side of the
courtyard was overlooked by an open first-floor gallery
projecting on curved brackets, a feature which made the
yard suitable for plays as ordained in 1624. (fn. 19) Further
W., the S. side of the courtyard had a three-storeyed
building, jettied at the second floor. Measured sketches
of 1863 by Dryden (Northampton Public Library) show
that the lower storey of this building contained a stone
doorway with chamfered jambs shouldered at the top to
support a flat lintel, characteristic of the 13th century;
beside it was a small chamfered square-headed window.
Hall illustrates the same features. (fn. 20) Neither opening
appears in Dryden's watercolour of 1859, but they are
seen in Charlton's drawing, although here the doorway
is shown as round-headed. Adjacent, in the S.W. corner
of the courtyard, Charlton, Dryden and Goodall-Surgey
all show a square, tower-like structure of two storeys,
apparently of brick with ashlar dressings, with a pyramidal tiled roof; a classical entablature lay just below the
upper window-sill and the square-headed E. doorway
had a classical architrave. By its style this structure dated
from about the middle of the 17th century. Dryden's
sketch plan of 1863 shows that it contained a newel
The three-storeyed W. front has modern shop windows
in the lower storey. Since the photograph on Plate 61
was taken, the 14th-century oak N.W. pier of the former
carriage through-way, seen in Buckler's drawing of 1805
and in Twopeny's drawing of 1833, has been exposed
(Plate 84) and a modern replica of its S.W. counterpart
has been supplied. The large 17th-century bow windows
in the second storey remain as depicted in the 19th-century drawings, except that the pargeting has gone.
The third-storey windows are modern restorations of
original lights closed in the 17th century. Removal of
the plaster has revealed cross-braced timber framework.
Because the ground plan is trapeze-shaped, the E.
elevation of the 14th-century range is three bays wide in
contrast to the two bays of the W. front; the entire E.
elevation is, however, hidden by modern tile-hanging.
The demolished 19th-century N. range had a three-storeyed S. elevation of brick, with plain sashed windows
in each storey and with plat-bands marking the floor
levels. (Plan on p. 96.)
Inside, the irregular N. wall is built to the height of
the first floor in ashlar with panels of knapped flint-work,
the latter including some tile. A former fireplace set at
a high level, and corresponding beam-holes in the
masonry, now blocked, show that the ground floor was
once about 2 ft. above present street level, thus making
room for a basement storey on the N. of the throughway. An entrance to this basement appears in an old
photograph (Plate 104).
Before the alterations of 1967 the N. side of the
through-way was represented by a row of free-standing
timber posts braced to the first floor with curved
brackets. The corresponding posts which once formed
the S. side of the through-way had gone, but their
positions were shown by mortices in the first-floor
beams (cross-section A—A).
(173) The George Inn
Section, looking E.
On the first floor, the N.W. room retains original
chamfered wall-posts, wall-braces, and a large N.–S.
beam joined to the wall-posts with chamfered braces. In
the embrasure of the 17th-century window are seen the
overhanging members of the original second-floor jetty.
In the S.W. room the beam and its braces are encased in
17th-century plaster enriched with a frieze of griffins
(173) George Inn
While the W. part of the range is of three storeys, the
E. part is two-storeyed, with a large N.E. chamber open
to the roof. As in the W. rooms, the walls of this chamber
have massive 14th-century timber uprights with crossbracing (cross-section B—B). The central wall-posts on
N. and S. have moulded sides and curve out at the top to
support a false hammerbeam truss; the ends of the
horizontal members are carved to represent a bearded
king's and a queen's head (Plate 84); above, there are
moulded arch-braces. Over the collar the principals are
enriched with ogee mouldings and traceried cusps. The
collar-purlin and the original rafters have been replaced
by later through-purlins and common rafters. The 14th-century moulded wall-plates remain, with carved flowers
at the ends of the mouldings. Original doorways with
shouldered lintels occur in the N. part of the E. wall and
in the W. part of the S. wall.
On the second floor, each of the two W. chambers is
spanned by a cambered and roll-moulded beam supporting a crown-post and a collar-purlin (Plate 83). Mouldings
on the gable tie-beams show that the present modern
windows replace original openings. The wall-plates are
moulded and enriched.
In the 19th-century N. range, demolished in 1967,
the thick N. wall was probably mediaeval. Reset in the
E. part of the range was an early 17th-century staircase
(Plate 87); since 1967 its balustrade has been reused in
(174) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 11 and 13 High
Street, are of three storeys with attics and have tile-hung timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. Both buildings
are now combined with the George Inn (173) to make
shops and restaurants. No. 11 is of mid 15th-century
origin. No. 13, of 1476, takes the place of two mediaeval
cottages which were given to the Dean and Chapter in
1459 by William Harding, canon and clerk-of-works to
the cathedral. (fn. 21) In 1476 the work of rebuilding occasioned
a legal settlement concerning encroachment on the
George Inn. (fn. 22) By 1649 the houses had been united and
were occupied by John Joyce, apothecary. (fn. 23)
(174) Nos. 11 and 13 High Street
The W. front of No. 13, remodelled in the 18th
century, is jettied at the second floor and at first-floor
level has a pentice, but no jetty (Plate 102). The N. bay
in the second storey has a bow window with an ogival
lead roof. Originally the facade had two gables, but the
valley between them was roofed-in during the 18th
century and the former gables were concealed by tilehanging. Inside, the lower storey has been modernised.
On the first floor, although partitions have been removed, it is clear that there were formerly two W. rooms
and one to N.E.; that on the N.W. retains some 17th-century oak panelling in four heights and a modelled
plaster ceiling; the panelling is mentioned in the Parliamentary Survey. The beam at the head of the former
partition between the N.W. and N.E. rooms has a 17th-century black-letter inscription: 'Have God before thine
eies, who searcheth hart & raines, and live according to
his law, then glory is thy gaines'. The chimneypiece in
the N.E. room is composed of reset pieces of enriched
oak panelling, some of it 16th-century work. Since 1967
the balustrade of the 17th-century staircase from the N.
range of monument (173) has been reset in No. 13.
The W. front of No. 11 is of the 17th century, with a
small jetty at the second floor and with an 18th-century
window in each upper storey. The 15th-century W. front,
however, stood some 8½ ft. behind the present facade;
its alignment is indicated by the outline of the original
second-floor jetty, seen in the W. room of the first floor.
The position of the former street-front falls on a straight
line drawn from the S.W. corner of Mitre chequer to the
original ground-level front of the George Inn (173).
Inside, the E. room on the ground floor had, until 1967,
a chimneypiece composed of reset early 17th-century
oak panels with arabesque enrichment. The E. room on
the first floor had a handsome mid 17th-century
chimneypiece (Plate 92), now gone. In the third storey
the original street-front gable, with king and queen
struts, now forms an internal roof truss.
(175) Assembly Rooms, now a shop, on the corner
of High Street and New Canal, are of two storeys with
brick walls and tiled roofs. The building dates from 1802
(S.J., 1 Nov. 1802; 26 Aug. 1804). The three-bay W.
elevation with a projecting porch and tall round-headed
windows is seen in an early photograph (Plate 104). The
lower storey has been completely modernised. On the
first floor (plan, O.S., 1880), the main Assembly Room
is used as a warehouse. Original neo-classical plaster
(176) House, No. 53 New Canal, the Spread Eagle
Inn in 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm), demolished 1966, was
of three storeys and had walls mainly of brick, but with
some tile-hung timber framework, and a tiled roof. Most
of the structure was of the late 18th century, but the
timber-framed W. wall probably represented an earlier
building. The four-bay N. front had modern shop
windows in the lower storey and plain sashed windows
above. Inside, some rooms had panelled dados. The stairs
had closed strings and turned balusters.
(177) Houses, Nos. 47–9 New Canal, of two storeys
with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, were to a large
extent demolished in 1966 and the small part which
survives was 'restored' and altered. Before demolition
the houses contained remains of a substantial 14th-century dwelling in which there had been a lofty hall
with a two-storeyed cross-wing at its W. end. The lower
storey of the cross-wing contained a carriage throughway. South of the hall and E. of the through-way there
had been a courtyard, and beyond this there was a 16th-century S. range. After 1966 the N. part of the cross-wing was incorporated with a modern shop; the rest was
The site is identifiable with a tenement held successively by Richard Todeworth and Henry Russel, mayors
during the period 1320–40; (fn. 24) In 1365 Russel's executor,
Henry Fleming, sold it to William Teynturer, owner of
the George Inn (173). On Teynturer's death it passed
with the George to his widow Alice and so to her second
husband, John Byterlegh, wool merchant. Byterlegh died
in 1397, (fn. 25) and Alice married Sir George Meriot. On
Meriot's death in 1410 the tenement passed to William
Alisaundre, who still had it in 1428. (fn. 26) The deeds repeatedly mention a stone-walled garden measuring 59 ft.
by 38 ft.; a piece of ground approximately this size,
partly defined by stone walls, was still identifiable in
1961 (see plan). The deeds also mention two two-storeyed shops W. of the house. These possibly explain
the restricted plan, wherein the carriage through-way
and the hall screens-passage lay side-by-side in the cross-wing, underneath the solar.
(177) Nos. 47–9 New Canal
Ground plan and cross-sections.
Until 1966 the whole of No. 47 and the E. part of
No. 49 were fronted by three-storeyed 18th-century
facades with sashed windows in the upper storeys and
with a continuous dentil cornice below a plain parapet;
the ground storeys had shop windows. The cross-wing
in the W. part of No. 49 was two-storeyed, gabled and
jettied at the first floor (Plate 60); it remained very
much as drawn by William Twopeny in 1833 (Plate 7).
The lower storey of the cross-wing contained two
openings: on the W. was the entrance to the carriage
through-way; on the E., where Twopeny depicts a wall,
there was a 19th-century doorway. The gate to the
through-way was flanked by stout ovolo-moulded posts
with brackets to support the jetty. The gateway occupied
little more than two-thirds of the width of the cross
wing and the N.E. corner of the upper storey was
supported on a dragon beam. (Since 1966 the E. spurpost has been moved and an intermediate post has been
supplied.) Cross-braced timber framework, now seen in
the upper storey and gable, was revealed in 1967 and is
original (section C–C). The cusped bargeboards remain as
drawn by Twopeny and are the only surviving example
of a mediaeval feature once common in Salisbury.
Inside, the ground and first-floor rooms of No. 49
had no notable features, but in the roof over the N.
room mediaeval timbers were found in situ. Parallel
with the carriage through-way and about 3½ft. to the
E. was a well-preserved spere truss with posts 14 ins.
thick supporting massive purlins and a cambered tie-beam with curved braces;above these were trussed rafters
and a braced collar-purlin (sections A–A, B–B). Without
doubt the spere truss marked the W. end of the hall; its
timbers were smoke-blackened on the E. side only.
At ground level, the 3½ ft. gap between the E. side of
the carriage through-way and the place where the spereposts must originally have stood was evidently a screenspassage; it was entered by a door from the through-way
(described below). The E. end of the hall may have been
marked by the wall between Nos. 47 and 49, where a
moulded post came to light during demolition, or the
hall may have extended as far as the E. side of No. 47.
The timber-framed wall seen by Twopeny on the E.
side of the through-way was revealed during demolition;
the doorway had ogee-moulded and hollow-chamfered
jambs, but the shaped head seen in Twopeny's drawing
had gone. The W. wall of the through-way was of stone
and flint to the level of the first floor. Over the throughway, stout chamfered transverse and longitudinal first-floor beams remain in position. Above the first floor
the W. wall, now largely rebuilt, was of timber framework,
and at this level there were three windows: near the N.
front was a small 14th-century loop with a trefoiled
ogee head (a); about 25 ft. further S. was a 14th-century
three-light window with three trefoiled heads cut in a
single beam (b); beside the latter was a 16th-century
opening of three square-headed lights with ovolo-moulded oak mullions. The wide interval between the
first and second windows probably accommodated the
pitched roof of the two-storeyed shop, mentioned in the
deeds as being next-door.
(177) First-floor windows in cross-wing.
A top-lit ground-floor room to the S. of the area of
the hall replaced the former courtyard; probably it was
roofed over in the 19th century. Further S. was a two-storeyed 16th-century range, parallel with the hall, its
upper storey bridging the S. part of the through-way.
The ground-floor room had intersecting ceiling beams
cased in 17th-century moulded plaster. On the E. was
an open fireplace with chamfered stone jambs and a
stone lintel with a raised centre. In the timber-framed W.
wall, an unglazed window of five lights with diagonallyset oak mullions originally looked over the carriage
through-way, but it had been blocked internally. The
first floor was jettied southwards. The upper storey
contained a single large room with a roof of three bays.
Enough of the roof remained to show that it originally
had two false hammerbeam collar trusses with arched
braces. There were clasped purlins above the collars, and
chamfered windbracing between the purlins and the
(178) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 45 and 43 New
Canal, demolished in 1967, were two-storeyed with
attics and probably dated from c. 1600, but they had
three-storeyed 18th-century brick facades. Some timber
framework was seen inside.
(179) House, No. 39 New Canal, demolished in 1967,
was of two storeys with an attic and was built late in the
(180) House, No. 35 New Canal, of three storeys
with brick walls and tiled and leaded roofs, was a late
18th-century town house ingeniously planned to make
the most of a restricted site. In 1967 the N. front was
remodelled to make it suitable for a shop and the rest of
the building was demolished. The W. front of the narrow
single-storeyed S. range had gauged-brick dressings and a
pedimented central feature with a round-headed window.
Inside, the E. passage retained fragments of a plaster
vaulted ceiling, removed for the insertion of a later
staircase. The principal stairs had mahogany handrails
and a plain balustrades; above was an oval sky-light with
a moulded cornice. On the first floor, the two N. drawing rooms had moulded and enriched cornices, and that
on the E. contained a neo-classical chimneypiece of
wood with carton-pierre enrichment.
(180) No. 35 New Canal
(181) Houses, pair, Nos. 33 and 31 New Canal, of
three storeys with attics, with brick and tile-hung walls
and with tiled roofs, were demolished in 1967; they had
been built about the middle of the 18th century. Each
house had a uniform three-bay N. front with modern
shop windows below, sashed windows in the two upper
storeys and a cornice with modillions. The windows had
flat gauged-brick heads with stone keys and shoulders.
Inside, the main rooms had panelled dados and each
house had a staircase with a 'Chinese' lattice balustrade
(182) House, No. 27 New Canal, demolished in 1967,
was of three storeys with attics and had brick walls and
tiled roofs. The N. front, of five bays with modern shop
windows in the lower storey, plain sashed windows
above and segmental-headed windows in the third storey, (fn. 27)
was of the 18th century, but the house itself was of the
late 16th or early 17th century. Inside, the main rooms
had 18th-century joinery, but the stairs from the second
floor to the attics were of oak, with close strings,
moulded handrails and turned balusters. The roof had
three collared tie-beam trusses with two purlins on each
(183) House, No. 25 New Canal, demolished in 1967,
was three-storeyed with attics and had walls partly of
timber framework and partly of brick, and a tiled roof.
Of late 15th-century origin it had been extensively
altered in the 18th century. The N. front had modern
shop windows at ground level and sashed windows
symmetrically arranged in five bays in the upper storeys.
The original roof, ridged E.–W., was of four bays with
collared and arch-braced tie-beam trusses supporting two
purlins on each side.
(184) House, No. 19 New Canal, now a shop and
offices, is of two and three storeys with rendered brick
walls and slated and tiled roofs. The N. part of the building is of the 19th century. The two-storeyed S. wing has
an E.–facing early 17th-century window of six transomed
square-headed lights with chamfered stone mullions and
a moulded stone label with returned stops. Adjacent is
an 18th-century bow window with six sashed lights.
Inside, the S. ground-floor room retains part of an early
17th-century moulded plaster ceiling and an open fireplace with a moulded stone surround. The roof, with
collared tie-beam trusses with two purlins on each side,
retains some glazed ridge tiles with ribbed decoration.
(185) Hall of John Hall, now the vestibule of a
theatre, but originally part of a merchant's house, has
walls of ashlar and flint, and tiled roofs. It is certainly of
the late 15th century although the precise dates proposed
by Edward Duke relate to another of John Hall's properties. (fn. 28) It occupies the N.W. corner of a large plot (210 ft.
by 60 ft.) which extended E. to Catherine Street and S.
as far as the garden of Nos. 26–8 Catherine Street (191).
In 1455 John Hall already held property on the
Ditch (New Canal) and in Carternstrete (Catherine
Street). (fn. 29) The hall, built some years after this date, stands
testimony to his success as a merchant. (fn. 30) In 1669 Aubrey
wrote 'as Greville and Wenman bought all the Coteswold,
soe did Halle and Webb all the wooll of Salisbury plaines'.
Hall was deeply involved in the famous dispute between
the commonalty and Bishop Beauchamp. (fn. 31) He was
mayor in 1450, 1456 and 1464–5, and parliamentary
representative in 1460 and 1461; he died in 1479. His
political aspirations appear to have been inherited by his
son William, aged 24 in 1479, who was involved with
Walter Hungerford and others in Buckingham's rebellion
of 1483. (fn. 32) William became M.P. for Salisbury in 1487;
his sister Christian (d. 1504) married Sir Thomas Hungerford (d. 1494). Stained glass decorated with heraldic
roses and with the arms of Hall, Hungerford etc., was
probably installed in the hall windows early in the reign
of Henry VII.
Hall of John Hall
The axis of the hall lies at right-angles to New Canal.
To the E., where two houses (186) now stand, there was
formerly a courtyard entered from the street through a
gateway with a pointed arch. (fn. 33) To the N., between the
street and the end of the hall, there is a three-storeyed,
16th-century timber-framed building. From 1816 to
1819 the hall was part of the printing offices of the
'Wiltshire Gazette'. (fn. 34) In 1834 it was restored by A.W.
Pugin and F.R. Fisher. The N. front, by Frederick Bath,
was added in 1880. (fn. 35)
The E. elevation of the hall (Plate 59) is of ashlar and
has casement-moulded windows of two and four transomed lights with cinquefoil two-centred heads. In the
S. window, two lights below the transom are omitted to
make room for a doorway with a moulded two-centred
head in a square-headed casement-moulded surround.
Further S. the ashlar elevation is two-storeyed, but the
windows are modern. The W. wall of the hall is mainly
of flint and rubble with some tile lacing courses and also
with later brick patching. A blocked opening in the S.
part of the wall has a four-centred brick head and is
perhaps of the 16th century. The brick chimneybreast
appears to be of the 19th century. A stone window set
at a high level on the N. of the chimneybreast has two
cinquefoil-headed lights and is evidently of 15th-century
origin, but almost certainly is not in situ.
Inside, the hall has a roof of six bays with four archbraced collar-trusses springing from false hammerbeams
at the ends and between each pair of bays, and with
three intermediate trusses springing from carved angel
corbels. There are three purlins on each side and four
tiers of cusped wind-braces (Plate 83). The false hammerbeam brackets rest on wall-shafts set on carved stone
corbels, some with human heads, others with angel busts
bearing shields (the latter were probably painted in 1834
in repetition of the original coats of arms in the window
glass). The fireplace, with an original stone chimneypiece
decorated with a shield-of-arms of Hall and a merchant
mark (Plate 90), is not certainly in situ.
Merchant Mark of John Hall.
A stone archway with a moulded four-centred head in
the N. end of the hall is of 1834. The S. end has three
modern doorways and, above, a cartouche-of-arms
painted by Pugin. (fn. 36) An inscription records the restorations of 1834, when the building belonged to Sampson
Payne, merchant of china and glass.
The window glass, extensively restored in 1834 by
J. Beare, includes quarries inscribed 'Drede' in blackletter, the initials I and H, and shields-of-arms etc. as
follows – E. windows, N. to S., upper lights: i Hall
with estoil impaling merchant mark; ii (square) France
modern and England with label of three points;
iii (shield) France modern and England undifferenced;
iv as i but with mullet in place of estoil; v Monthermer;
vi Hall with estoil impaling Hall undifferenced; vii Campbell; viii ermine, a lion regardant or; ix ermine a lion or;
x Fitzhugh. Lower lights: xi Hungerford; xii Montacute
and Monthermer quartering Neville; xiii quarterly of
seven, Beauchamp, Montacute, Monthermer, Neville,
Clare, Warwick and Spencer (Ann Neville, wife of
Richard III); xiv Hungerford with label impaling Hall
with estoil; xv Hall (altered) impaling merchant mark;
xvi See of Winchester impaling Montague (James
Montague, Bp. of Winchester 1616–9); xvii red rose;
xviii red rose superimposed on white rose, crowned.
The W. window contains: i figure of man bearing banner
with arms of France modern and England quarterly;
ii shield charged with seated, chained and collared bear
The ground-floor room at the S. end of the hall has
reset heavy oak ceiling-beams with roll, hollow-chamfered
and ogee-mouldings forming a ceiling of four square and
two oblong panels. The first-floor room contains nothing
The three-storeyed 16th-century house to N. of the
hall has been much altered. The N. wall is entirely of
1880. In the lower storeys the E. and W. walls have stout
original posts, but a gallery-like opening in the first floor
is modern. The third storey has two original W. windows,
each of four lights with ovolo-moulded oak mullions.
The roof has three collared tie-beam trusses.
(186) Houses, pair, Nos. 13 and 13a New Canal, of
three storeys with brick and tile-hung walls and tiled
roofs, were built c. 1800. The symmetrical N. front,
rebuilt c. 1970, was formerly of timber framework hung
with mathematical tiles. Each upper storey had five bays
of plain sashed windows, the central windows being
narrower than the others, and false. Kingdon & Shearm
indicate a central through-passage in the ground storey,
now obliterated by a shop.
(187) Houses, three adjacent, Nos. 11, 9 and 7 New
Canal, demolished in 1962, were three-storeyed with
walls of brickwork and of timber framework hung with
mathematical tiles; they dated in the main from the
second half of the 18th century. The offices of William
and Benjamin Collins, printers of the Salisbury Journal,
had been on or near the site since 1748, (fn. 37) and in 1962
the newspaper still occupied No. 7 and the long back
range of No. 11. The E. elevation had 18th-century
doorways and sashed windows. The third edition of
Naish's town plan, printed by Collins in 1751, names the
site 'printing office'. During demolition the W. wall of
No. 11 was found to be of mediaeval timber-framed
construction on a plinth of rubble and ashlar.
(188) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 2 and 4 Catherine
Street, three-storeyed, with rendered walls and slate-covered roofs, are of timber-framed construction and
perhaps late mediaeval in origin, but they were remodelled early in the 19th century. Above modern shop
windows the N. and E. elevations have plain sashed and
casement windows symmetrically arranged.
(189) Houses, three adjoining, Nos. 6–10 Catherine
Street, are four-storeyed with brick walls and tiled roofs
and were built late in the 18th or early in the 19th
century. In each, the E. front is of two bays with modern
shop windows at ground level and plain sashed windows
above. Nothing noteworthy remains inside.
(190) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 12 and 14 Catherine Street, now combined, are of three storeys with
timber-framed walls hung with mathematical tiles
and with tiled roofs. They were built during the first half
of the 18th century, but were refronted early in the
19th century. The stairs are of the 19th century.
(191) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 26 and 28 Catherine Street, are three-storeyed and have walls, probably
of light timber framework, hung with mathematical
tiles; the roofs are tiled and slated. The houses date from
early in the 19th century and the E. front of No. 26 has
first and second-floor balconies with wrought-iron
railings, and a projecting first-floor window.
(192) Cottage, No. 30 Catherine Street, is two-storeyed with an attic and has timber-framed walls hung
with slates and mathematical tiles, and a tiled roof. It is
of the 16th century. The first floor is jettied on the S.
(193) Houses, originally two, Nos. 32 and 34–6
Catherine Street, now three shops, are two-storeyed with
brick walls and tiled roofs. They were built about the
middle of the 18th century. Originally the E. fronts were
continuous, the N. house having two and the S. house
four plain sashed windows in the upper storey, with a
continuous modillion cornice and plain parapet above.
The lower storeys have been obliterated by modern
shops. The S. house was divided into two parts after
(194) Warehouse, No. 38 Catherine Street, is of two
and three storeys with brick and timber-framed walls
and tiled roofs. The three-storeyed brick building on the
E. is of the 19th century. Behind, a six-bay E.–W. range
with rough-hewn timber-framed walls and with braced
and collared tie-beam roof trusses is probably of 16th-century origin.
(195) Building, No. 40 Catherine Street, demolished
c. 1970, was of two storeys with an attic and had timber-framed walls hung with mathematical tiles. The 19th-century E. front masked a building which retained
elements of a 14th-century rafter roof with a collar
(196) House, No. 46 Catherine Street, of three
storeys with brick walls and slated roofs, appears to be
of the 18th century.
(197) House, No. 50 Catherine Street, of two storeys
and an attic, has timber-framed walls and a tiled roof
and probably is of the 16th century. The E. front is
jettied at the first floor. In the 19th century a mathematical tile facade was added, with plain sashed windows
at first-floor and attic levels.
(198) Cottages, pair, Nos. 52–4 Catherine Street,
demolished c. 1970, were originally two-storeyed with
attics and had timber-framed walls and slate-covered
roofs; they were of the 16th century. In the 19th
century the E. fronts were heightened to three storeys
and rendered, and the jettied first floors were under-built.
(199) 'The Hall' (O.S., 1880), No. 4 New Street, now
offices, is of two storeys with attics and has brick walls
with stone dressings, and tiled roofs; the E. wall contains
mediaeval flint and tile work and 17th-century brickwork. Built soon after the middle of the 18th century
for Alderman William Hussey, (fn. 38) a wealthy clothier, on
the site of the old Assembly House, (fn. 39) it is the second
largest dwelling house in Salisbury, being surpassed only
by The College (14). Hussey represented the city in
Parliament from 1774 to 1813. His great-grandfather,
Robert Hussey (d. 1710), also alderman of Salisbury,
was descended from the Husseys of Shapwick, Dorset.
The symmetrical S. front (Plate 76) has a projecting
central bay with a porch in the lower storey and bowwindows above. In the three-bay flanking elevations the
window architraves of the lower storey are designed as
if for doorways.
(199) The Hall, No. 4 New Street.
Inside, the hall fireplace has a pedimented stone
chimneypiece. The main stairs have stone steps with
cyma-shaped soffits, a plain balustrade with twisted iron
newels and a mahogany handrail. The large North Room,
added later in the 18th century, has walls and ceilings
enriched with neo-classical plasterwork. On the first
floor the drawing room has bolection-moulded panelling
in two heights and a high coved ceiling which rises into
the attic; the chimneypiece (Plate 94) has a rococo frieze
panel The anteroom has panelling with fielded centres
and a rococo chimneypiece of pinewood (Plate 94).
Several other rooms have carved wood chimneypieces
and enriched plaster ceilings.
(200) House, No. 8 New Street, demolished in 1967,
was three-storeyed and had brick walls and a slate-covered roof. It dated from the first quarter of the 19th
century. The S. front was symmetrical and of three bays.
(201) House, No. 42 New Street, demolished in 1964,
was of two storeys with attics and had brick walls and
tiled roofs. The W. part of the building, of mid 18th-century date, had an asymmetrical S. front of seven bays.
Towards the end of the 18th century cottages were
added at the E. end of the range and other additions
were made on the S.E.; the cottages were subsequently
incorporated in the house. Inside, the stairs had plain
balustrades and turned newel posts. The S.W. room on
the first floor had fielded panelling.
(202) Cottage, No. 76 New Street, demolished in
1964, was two-storeyed with timber-framed walls and a
tiled roof. Of 16th-century origin, the interior had been
destroyed to make a garage, but the roof retained collared
tie-beam trusses with queen-struts.