Monuments in Marsh Chequer and St. Ann's Street.
(262) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 11 and 13 St.
Ann's Street, are two-storeyed with attics and have brick
walls and tiled roofs; they were built early in the 19th
(263) House, at the S.W. corner of the chequer, is of
three storeys with brick walls and a slated roof and was
built c. 1840.
(264) 'The Priory', house, of three storeys with brick
walls with ashlar dressings and with tiled roofs, is of
early 17th-century origin. The third storey was built in
the 18th century, replacing former attics and making use
of 17th-century ovolo-moulded stone windows with
square-headed lights. In the 19th century the two lower
storeys of the W. front were remodelled and windows of
16th-century style were supplied, but an original ashlar-faced two-storeyed porch was retained; at the same time
additional rooms were built on the E. of the original
range. Inside, the ground-floor rooms and stairs have
19th-century fittings in Jacobean style. The N.W. room
on the first floor retains 17th-century oak panelling and
an enriched chimneypiece of the period; in the S.W.
room the chimneypiece and flanking alcoves are of the
18th century. On the second floor the E. wall of the W.
range retains blocked 17th-century windows, presumably
of former gables.
(265) House, No. 93 Brown Street, is three-storeyed
with brick walls and tiled roofs. Although mainly of late
18th-century date, the S. wall is of the 17th century and
contains blocked windows which correspond in level and
size with those of 'The Priory' (264). Presumably this
wall originally fronted a wing of 'The Priory' on the N.
of the forecourt. Inside, the plan is of class U.
(266) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 91 and 89 Brown
Street, are two-storeyed with attics and have brick walls
and tiled roofs. They date from the first half of the 18th
century. Although No. 91 is larger, with four bays
instead of three in the W. front (Plate 79), the two
dwellings were built at the same time and the plat-band
and coved eaves cornice are continuous. The enlarged
doorway and the first-floor bow window of No. 91 are
of the 19th century. Beside the chimneybreast in the W.
ground-floor room of No. 89 is a shell-headed niche with
carved enrichment and shaped shelves (Plate 95).
(267) House, No. 87 Brown Street, of two storeys
with an attic, has brick walls and a tiled roof and is
somewhat later in date than No. 89 (266), which it
adjoins (Plate 79). Inside, the W. ground-floor room is
lined with fielded softwood panelling in two heights;
other rooms have dados and the hall has a reset 17th-century panelled oak dado. The stairs are of the 18th
(268) House, No. 81 Brown Street, of two storeys
with an attic, with brick walls and a tiled roof, probably
dates from early in the 18th century. The four-bay W.
front has plain sashed windows and a moulded brick
plat-band. Inside, the plan is a variant of class U, with no
corridor between the two W. rooms. The stairs are
original. The S.W. room, lined with fielded panelling, has
a shell-headed niche with shaped shelves.
(269) Houses, Nos. 71–5 Brown Street, at the N.W.
corner of the chequer, are two-storeyed with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and appear to be of the mid
16th century. The first floors are jettied to N. and W.
and there is a dragon beam at the N.W. corner. The roof
truss at the N. end of the S. range (Nos. 73–5) is closed,
suggesting that these houses were not originally an extension of No. 71. The roof of No. 71, ridged E.–W. and
with a gable to Brown Street, is of four bays with collared
tie-beam trusses, queen-struts, clasped purlins and curved
wind-braces. For history, see monument (270).
(270) Cottages, twelve uniform dwellings, Nos.
14–20 and 26–40 Trinity Street, are two-storeyed with
attics and have brick walls and tiled roofs; they date
from late in the 18th or early in the 19th century. No.
22/4, a house of three storeys with brick walls and a
slated roof, takes the place of two former cottages and is
of the first half of the 19th century.
The tenement (269) at the N.W. corner of the chequer
and others on the site of these cottages, extending E.
as far as the Town Ditch, were owned in 1455 by the
Vicars Choral; (fn. 1) they had been given under the will of
Thomas Chapelyn junior (d. 1415) to maintain a
perpetual chantry for himself and his parents in the
cathedral. (fn. 2) The property then comprised five dwellings
and still did so in 1649, but by 1671 there were six, with
gardens and a passage to 'a common house of office'
over the ditch. (fn. 3) In 1649 the E. tenement of the group
was a bakehouse; in 1794 it was leased to Robert Wood,
baker. (fn. 4) It still is a baker's shop.
The N.E. corner of the chequer, now occupied by
late 19th-century dwellings, was formerly called Shove's
Corner. The history of the tenements can be traced
through deeds of the Tailors' Guild from 1369 to 1854. (fn. 5)
(271) House, No. 45 St. Ann's Street, is of two
storeys with an attic and has brick walls and tiled roofs.
The rendered S. front is of c. 1900, but chamfered beams
and some original joinery seen inside indicate a small
dwelling of c. 1700. In plan each storey has a front room
and a back room with a central chimney-stack between
them. The stairs, with turned balusters and a moulded
handrail, rise E. of the chimney-stack.