(272) Cottages, seven adjacent, in two ranges converging at the N.W. corner of the chequer, are two-storeyed with attics and have brick walls and tiled roofs;
they are of c. 1800. The corner tenement contains a
shop and has two rooms on each floor; the others are
approximately uniform and have only a living room and
a small scullery on the ground floor. A common yard on
the S.W. serves all seven dwellings.
Monuments in Pound Chequer, St. Ann's Street and St. Martin's Church Street.
(273) Barnard's Cross House, of two storeys with
basement and attics, has walls of brickwork with ashlar
dressings, and tiled roofs. The E. part of the house was
built late in the 17th century; the obliquity of the
drawing room suggests that earlier foundations were
used. The original staircase appears to have been in the
passage between the two N. rooms. During the first
half of the 18th century a small extension was built for
a new staircase on the W. of the drawing room, and
shortly after this more extensive additions were made
to the W.; these include a large dining room, a kitchen
and other ground-floor service rooms. Originally the
service rooms were in the basement. The house is now
part of a college hostel.
(273) Barnard's Cross House
The N. elevation (Plate 72) retains original sashed
windows, a panelled entrance doorway and a wooden
bow window in which the lower lights could formerly be
closed by vertically-sliding panelled shutters. There are
two blocked basement windows. Further W., the 18th-century extension has plain sashed windows and a doorway with a flat hood. The S. front has, on the E., the
three-bay drawing room range with tall sashed windows
in both storeys, a moulded stone string-course and a
wooden eaves cornice with heavy modillions. On the W.
is the 18th-century staircase and dining room extension;
a perpendicular joint in the brickwork shows that the
staircase was completed first.
Inside, the basement rooms have elliptical brick
barrel vaults; one vault bears a scratching of 1740. The
ground floor drawing room is lined with original bolection-moulded panelling in two heights; the pedimented
doorway and the enriched plaster ceiling appear to be of
the mid 18th century; the original fireplace surround has
gone. The N.E. room has 18th-century panelling with
fluted pilasters. The 18th-century staircase (Plate 89) has
newel posts in the form of fluted Tuscan columns.
Above the first floor part of the original staircase
survives; it has close strings and spirally turned balusters.
Several first-floor rooms have dados of fielded panelling.
The roofs have collared queen-strut trusses supporting
two butt-purlins on each side.
(274) House, No. 51 St. Ann's Street, of two storeys
with an attic, has brick walls and a tiled roof and dates
from the first half of the 18th century. The three-bay S.
front is symmetrical, with a central doorway and plain
(275) House, No. 49 St. Ann's Street, of three storeys
with brick walls and tiled roofs, was built about the
middle of the 18th century. The S. front is of four bays,
with sashed windows in each storey and with a pedimented doorway in the E. bay; the third-storey windows
have segmental heads; above is a moulded brick cornice
and a panelled parapet. On the E. is a slightly lower
three-storeyed bay, possibly an addition. Inside, the
rooms have 18th-century joinery.