St. Ann's Street
For monuments on the N. side of the street, see White
Hart, Marsh, Pound and S.E. chequers. The position
of monuments (286) –(298) is shown on p. 120.
(286) Moorland House, No. 84, demolished in 1964,
was of three storeys with attics and cellars and had brick
walls and tiled roofs. The N. part of the building was of
the first half of the 18th century. Extensive additions on
the S., built during the second half of the 19th century,
replaced an earlier S. wing (Kingdon & Shearm).
(286) Moorland House
The N. front was symmetrical and of five bays, with
the three middle bays set forward; the E. and W. ends
were emphasised by pilasters in the two upper storeys.
The lower storey, with 19th-century plaster rustication,
had at the centre an original stone doorway with RomanDoric columns, entablature and pediment. Between the
two upper storeys was a moulded brick string-course and
at the top was a heavy brick cornice. Above, the roof
was masked by a 19th-century parapet with a large
curvilinear gable at the centre. The E. and W. elevations
had no notable features. The S. elevation was rebuilt
between 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm) and 1880 (O.S.).
Inside, the hall had 18th-century pine panelling in
two heights, with console-headed pilasters and a dentil
cornice. The lower part of the stairs (Plate 88), of oak
with twisted balusters, probably came from elsewhere.
The 19th-century drawing room was lined with reset
18th-century panelling in two heights with Corinthian
pilasters and a moulded cornice. Several first-floor rooms
(287) No. 82 St. Ann's Street
(287) House, No. 82, of three storeys with cellars,
has walls partly of brick banded with flint and partly of
brick alone; the roofs are tiled. Of early 18th-century
origin with a class-T plan, the N. range was formerly
two-storeyed and less spacious than at present, but
about the end of the 18th century it was heightened and
the N. front was rebuilt 5 ft. N. of the former alignment.
The late 18th-century N. front (Plate 75) has a central
doorway with Tuscan columns supporting a semicircular
hood with a reeded frieze. In the E. elevation the outline
of the original range (with flint-banded walls) can be
distinguished. The S. elevation is tile-hung. Inside, the
main rooms have late 18th-century joinery and plasterwork. The elegant open-string stairs have scrolled
spandrels and turned balusters. J.M. Peniston made a
plan of the house in 1853 (W.R.O., 451/191).
(288) Houses, pair, Nos. 78–80, are two-storeyed
with brick walls banded with flint, and with tiled roofs;
they were built during the first half of the 18th century.
Each house has a symmetrical facade of two bays with a
central doorway. Two original three-light casement
windows remain, but during the 19th century the other
windows were made taller and narrower and were fitted
with sashes. Inside the plans are of class T.
(289) House, No. 68, of two storeys with cellars and
attics, is mainly of the mid 18th century, but the S.W.
wing is earlier, perhaps 1610.
The N. front (Plate 78) is symmetrical and of five
bays with plain sashed windows and a round-headed
doorway in a pedimented door-case (Plate 98). An
extension at the E. end of the facade contains a service
doorway in which one jamb and part of the adjacent
quoin is hinged to make the opening wider than appears;
the passage leads to a S.E. wing which formerly contained
Inside, the 18th-century part of the house has a
class-U plan. The main N. rooms have 18th-century
joinery and plasterwork of good quality. The stairs in
the S.W. quarter of the plan have Tuscan-column balustrades and cut strings with scrolled spandrels. The kitchen
in the S.E. quarter adjoins the stable wing. Beyond the
staircase, the S.W. wing has timber-framed walls with
brick nogging; a ground-floor room contains a beam
dated 1610. A 17th-century doorway in the cellar under
the main N. range suggests that the 18th-century building
replaces an earlier range.
(290) House, No. 66, of two storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of the early 16th century.
In the upper storey of the three-bay N. front (Plate 62)
the outer bays are jettied and the middle bay has the
arch-braced eaves-plate of a class-C 'wealden' house. (fn. 1)
The recess was filled in, perhaps in the 16th century.
The lower storey now has shop windows in the two E.
bays and a carriage through-way in the W. bay. Mouldings
with run-out stops on the beam which spans the throughway show that its W. part originally spanned an external
alley beneath the W. jetty of the first floor, while its
E. part spanned an internal passage, perhaps the screenspassage of a hall (cf. (177)). The S. wing, contemporary
with the street range, contains a kitchen with a large
fireplace with brick jambs and a stout timber bressummer. Further S. is a range of two bays in which the
first floor is jettied on the W.; the S. wall is of the 19th
century. The roofs of the N. range have collared tie-beam trusses with king-struts and angle-struts. (fn. 2)
(291) House, No. 60, of two storeys with timber-framed walls and having a tiled roof continuous with
that of No. 66 (Plate 62), is probably of the late 15th
century. The jettied E. wall (with which the jetty of
No. 66 originally combined to form a through-way) has
recently been under-built, but part of the original flint
E. wall of the lower storey remained in situ until 1969.
Inside, chamfered beams and a doorway with a four-centred oak head are preserved. An inscribed date
'1450' is bogus. On the first floor, the W. bay of No. 66
(290) has now been joined to No. 60.
(292) House, No. 8 Prospect Place, of two storeys
and an attic, with rendered brick walls and a tiled roof,
was built early in the 19th century. The W. front is
symmetrical and of three bays.
(293) Joiner's Guild Hall
(293) Joiners' Hall, (fn. 3) Nos. 56 and 58, is of two
storeys with attics. The lower storey has walls of rendered
brickwork and rubble; the main storey is of timber
framework; the roofs are tiled. In style the building is of
the first quarter of the 17th century. Much of the
original N. front survives (Plate 67) with two first-floor
windows, each of seven double-transomed square-headed
lights with moulded and panelled mullions, projecting on
grotesque brackets. The fascia board of the first-floor
jetty has low relief carving of good quality. John Buckler
drew the facade in 1805. (fn. 4) William Twopeny's drawing
of 1833 (Plate 10) shows an original doorway with a
chamfered stone surround and a four-centred head, and
a large 18th-century sashed window; both of these have
gone. In the 19th century the lower storey of the N.
front was remodelled and the interior of the building
was extensively altered when a partition and fireplaces
were inserted, making two houses. The accompanying
plan was made in 1963 before reconversion to single
occupation occasioned further changes. The hall now
belongs to the National Trust.
(294) House, No. 54, of three storeys with cellars
and attics, has brick walls and tiled roofs. The building
appears to be mainly of the late 18th century, but
earlier fittings are incorporated. The three-bay N. front
has a central doorway under an elliptical hood with
acanthus brackets, perhaps of the early 18th century.
Inside, the oak staircase has slender turned balusters,
plain column-shaped newel posts and moulded handrails
of late 18th-century style. Some rooms have dados
composed of reset 17th-century panelling. A brick wall
on the E. of the garden has a stone panel inscribed 'T.
Cooksey built it 1751'. There was a house here in 1649,
but nothing of it is visible in the present structure. (fn. 5)
(295) House, No. 48, of two storeys with brick walls
and a tiled roof, was built early in the 18th century. The
W. bay of the three-bay N. front has a three-sided bow
window in each storey; the E. bay has a doorway with
a pediment-shaped hood. Inside, a first-floor room has a
heavy plaster cornice and some plank-and-muntin
(296) House, No. 46, of three storeys and a cellar,
has brick walls and a slated roof. The two lower storeys
are of the early 18th century; the top storey was added
in the 19th century. Inside, the N. ground-floor room,
presumably the dining room, has fielded oak panelling in
two heights. The first-floor drawing room occupies the
whole width of the N. front. The stairs from the ground
to the first floor are original.
(297) Vale House, No. 44, of three storeys with
attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs, was built towards
the end of the 18th century, perhaps in 1784, the date
on a lead rainwater head. The N. front (Plate 76) is
symmetrical and of five bays with a round-headed central
doorway in a Roman-Doric door-case with an open
pediment (Plate 98). Inside, the plan is of class-U, but
with the staircase set against the S. wall. The vestibule
between the two N. rooms has plaster cross-vaulting.
Three original chimneypieces are preserved.
The land on which the house stands is probably the
tenement recorded in 1361 as a property of the cathedral
choristers; (fn. 6) it was leased by them in 1400 to Robert Tavel
and in 1460 to John Crise, a tanner. (fn. 7) In 1649, when
occupied by John Snowe a parchment-maker, it comprised a hall, a kitchen, a buttery, two chambers and a
'work-house' (the deed of 1400 mentions a 'newly built
house called workhous'). (fn. 8) Nothing remains of these
buildings, but the persistent occupation of the tenement
by men engaged in tannery is notable since St. Ann's
Street was Tanner Street in the 16th and 17th centuries. (fn. 9)
(298) Doorway and Buttresses, of ashlar, reset in a
garden some 50 yds. S. of Vale House (297), are of the
late 15th or early 16th century. The doorway has a
moulded elliptical head and continuous jambs and is set
in a casement-moulded square-headed surround; the
spandrels have quatrefoil roundels and cusped mouchettes. On each side are diagonal buttresses with
weathered offsets. The origin of the doorway is unknown,
but it was probably introduced as a feature in the
extensive garden (see O.S., 1880) of a neighbouring
house (see (299)). Near by is the N.E. angle and E. wall
of the former Friars' Orchard (see (304)); the wall,
about 300 ft. long, is mainly of 17th-century brickwork,
but it has flint banding in the lower courses. The N.
return has a thick flint base, perhaps mediaeval.
Monuments (299)–(304) appear on the map of Marsh
Chequer, p. 119.
(299) Rotunda, now a gallery in Salisbury Museum,
was built c. 1812 as the dining room of a large house
which formerly stood immediately adjacent on the E.;
most of the house was demolished in 1864 to make
room for the museum. (fn. 10) The rotunda, 29½ ft. in diameter,
has Corinthian pilasters internally and a coffered dome
with rich foliate plasterwork (Plate 95).
(300) Nos. 36–8 St. Ann's Street
(300) Houses, two adjoining, Nos. 36 and 38, of two
storeys with attics, with tile-hung timber-framed walls
and tiled roofs, are of 16th-century origin. In the second
half of the 18th century the two dwellings appear to
have been united, and the jettied N. front (Plate 78) was
remodelled and cased in mathematical tiles. Inside, the
rooms of No. 38 have 18th-century joinery and plaster
work. A ground-floor room is lined with 17th-century
oak panelling. The first-floor drawing room in No. 38
has a shallow barrel-vaulted ceiling with end lunettes
containing late 18th or early 19th-century allegorical
paintings; in 1807 the house was occupied by B.C.
Collins, the Salisbury printer. (fn. 11) In No. 36 the decorations
are simpler than in No. 38.
The land on which the house stands belonged to St.
Edmund's College from 1361, at latest, until the reformation. (fn. 12)
(301) Albion Inn, No. 32, of three storeys with brick
walls and a slated roof, is of c. 1840.
(302) Windover House
Ground floor plan and details of hall roof.
(302) Windover House, Nos. 22–6, is mainly of two
storeys with attics and has timber-framed walls, partly
tile-hung, and tiled roofs. The single-storeyed hall was
built late in the 14th century; scarfed purlin-ends and
mortices for wind-braces show that the hall range originally extended further W., where there now is work of c.
1600. The W. range also is of c. 1400 in origin, but it has
been extensively altered and the S. end is incorporated
with the later rebuilding of the W. part of the hall range.
The E. range was built in the 16th century. The N. range,
of the late 16th or early 17th century, was probably
built by William Windover, a Salisbury merchant who
died in 1632; it was refaced in the 19th century. The
theory that the house includes part of the former
Franciscan convent cannot be sustained. (fn. 13) In 1400 it
belonged to Edmund Enefeld, clerk, the richest inhabitant of Meadow Ward, who died in 1403. (fn. 14) The
messuage is clearly described in a deed of 1423 when,
after the death of Enefeld's widow and her later husbands
Richard Spencer and William Cambrigg (see (151)), it
was sold to William Westbury; (fn. 15) it then extended from
the street on the N. to the Friars' precinct wall on the S.,
and from the gateway and entrance leading into the
Friary on the W. to a property of the Vicars Choral on
the east. Documents relating to the last named property
(now vacant) record that Windover House was occupied
in 1549 by John Younger, in 1671 by Mrs. Denham, and
in 1865 by Isaac White. (fn. 16)
The N. front of the North Range has mathematicaltile facing and 19th-century sashed windows. The middle
bay of the lower storey was originally a carriage throughway, but it is now closed by doorways; above the N.
doorway is a projecting window. Inside, the ground-floor rooms are spanned by stout beams with wide
chamfers. On the first floor the three W. bays, originally
one room, have beams cased in moulded and enriched
early 17th-century plasterwork (Plate 93). The W. bay of
this room has a 17th-century fireplace with a moulded
stone surround with a four-centred head; the other
fireplaces and chimneys in the N. range are of the 18th
or 19th century.
In the lower storey of the West Range three main
bays are defined by two stout chamfered beams supporting the first floor. These bays formerly comprised one
large room and a big mediaeval fireplace on the W. of
the S. bay, with chamfered stone jambs and a timber
bressummer, indicates that it was a kitchen. On the
first floor, partitions now form several small rooms, but
original roof trusses indicate three chambers, each of
two sub-bays. The middle chamber, originally open to
the roof, was spanned by a hammerbeam and scissorbrace truss similar to that of the hall (see below); the
flanking chambers were probably ceiled at collar-beam
level. In the S. chamber, a late 16th or early 17th-century stone fireplace with a moulded four-centred
head is built against the chimneybreast of the kitchen
The W. part of the South Range, rebuilt c. 1600, has
an oak staircase with massive newel posts with bulbous
finials (Plate 87). The chimneybreast at the W. end of
the range has, on the ground floor, a plain fireplace with
brick jambs and a timber bressummer; it may once have
been decorated with a panelled stone fascia of 1630 (see
fittings). A window has moulded oak mullions. The
corresponding first-floor fireplace has a stone four-centred
Although the two structures are contiguous, the
timber framework of c. 1600 in the staircase vestibule is
independant of the framework in the W. wall of the hall.
The details of the latter with original wattle-and-daub
infilling preserved behind glass, are shown on p. 125
(section A—A). The hall has a coved plaster ceiling of c.
1600 divided into panels by oak beams with multiple
roll mouldings; originally, however, it was open to the
roof and above the 17th-century ceiling is a roof truss of
c. 1400 (section B—B) with hammerbeams supporting
chamfered arch-braces below a collar-beam which is
surmounted by crossed struts. The common rafters
immediately W. of the hammerbeam truss are trimmed
for a former smoke-louvre. The stone fireplace in the
hall is of the late 15th or early 16th century and has a
hollow-chamfered four-centred head in a roll-moulded
The first floor of the East Range is jettied on the west.
The S. ground-floor room has heavily moulded 16th-century beams and wall-plates; the fireplace is modern.
The N. room and both first-floor rooms have chamfered
beams. Windows in the first-floor rooms have ogeemoulded oak mullions. The roof has collared tie-beam
trusses with queen-struts.
Fittings — A half-length portrait in oil on panel,
preserved in the house, represents a man in early 17th-century dress holding a letter inscribed 'to my loving
friend Mr. William Windover merchant in Hamburg';
at the corners of the panel are four shields: i arms of
Windover with a scroll 'I breed him'; ii arms of the
Merchant Adventurers of Hamburg with a scroll 'I fedd
him'; iii arms of the Salters' Company with a scroll 'I
made him free'; iv cartouche with date 1633 and
merchant mark, with a scroll 'yet knowne by mee'. (fn. 17)
Merchant mark of
Three fragments of a carved stone slab found at
Windover House and now in Salisbury Museum are
probably part of a chimneypiece. Assembled, the fragments make up a frieze of five panels alternating with
small trefoil-headed niches. The square central panel has
a vase filled with flowers and the figures 30 on the
right, presumably for 1630; the left-hand part of the
panel is missing. The four flanking panels contain
cusped roundels with painted shields: i arms of the
Drapers' Company with a scroll 'I made him free'; ii as iv
above, but without date; others defaced. A similar stone
fragment preserved in Windover House has a shield-of-arms of the Salters' Company and two other shields,
defaced; although carved with trefoil-headed niches and
cusped roundels, precisely as described, these panels
cannot be combined with those in the museum and
therefore must come from a second chimneypiece.
The plot on which the house stands is bounded to E.,
W. and S. by a stout wall of flint, rubble and brick, in
places some 6 ft. high. A partly defaced inscription
records that it was built by William Windover in 16 .... (fn. 18)
The wall on the S. is probably a replacement or a rebuilding of the Friars' wall, mentioned in 1423 (see above).
(303) Cottage, of two storeys with brick walls and a
slate-covered roof, was built c. 1840. The symmetrical
three-bay E. front is partly masked by a slightly later
(304) Houses and Stables, Cradock House, Friary
Court and Friary Cottages, probably date from 1619
when Matthew Bee (mayor 1600) was licensed to build
on this site. (fn. 19) Cradock House is two-storeyed with an
attic and has brick walls with ashlar dressings. Friary
Court is three-storeyed with brick walls. Friary Cottages
were originally single-storeyed. All have tiled roofs.
(304) Cradock House and Friary Court.
The E. front of Cradock House (Plate 70) retains
early 17th-century windows with moulded stone
mullions, transoms and labels. The rendered bay near the
centre indicates a former two-storeyed porch (cf. (264)).
The W. elevation has two original chimneystacks ending
in square-set and diagonally-set brick flues; they flank a
gabled stair tower. Inside, the parlour retains an original
plaster ceiling with moulded ribs in geometric panels
with foliate terminals. The partition between the parlour
and the hall is of timber framework and original, that on
the N. of the entrance passage is later. The original dog-leg stairs have chamfered newels and are continuous
from the ground floor to the attic. First-floor rooms
have moulded plaster cornices and the S. room has an
original stone fireplace with a hollow-chamfered four-centred head.
Friary Court, mainly of the early 18th century, was
originally an extension of Cradock House and probably
replaces a former S. cross-wing; some 17th-century
brickwork remains in the lower part of the N. wall. The
range was originally two-storeyed. The top storey was
added late in the 18th century and the range probably
became a separate house at the same time, the stairs
being of this period. The S. front is rendered and of six
bays with plain sashed windows in each storey. In the E.
elevation, which has no openings, the gable of the early
18th-century two-storeyed range is distinguishable in
the brickwork. The N. elevation has an 18th-century
door-case uniform with that of Cradock House. Inside,
the E. ground-floor room and the corresponding first-floor room have heavily moulded early 18th-century
cornices; elsewhere the decorations are of the late 18th
and early 19th century. Early 17th-century oak panelling and a richly carved chimneypiece, formerly in this
house, are now at Upp Hall, Braughing, Herts.
Friary Cottages, of 17th-century origin, were extensively altered early in the 18th century to provide
stables, coach house and coachman's cottage for Cradock
House. The range now forms two dwellings.
The name Friary alludes to the Franciscan convent
which stood a short distance to S.E. from its foundation
in 1230 until its dissolution in 1538. (fn. 20) Little remains of
the former convent, but the position and extent of its
precinct can be deduced from documents and maps.
Naish (Plate 16) indicates a rectangle about 130 yds. by
170 yds. containing gardens and a paper mill; a watercourse flowing under the mill may originally have
provided drainage for the extensive convent buildings
described in 1539. (fn. 21) The precinct walls were on N., W.
and E. The N. wall probably corresponded with that on
the S. of Windover House (302). The W. wall is mentioned
in a deed of 1413. (fn. 22) Referring to the E. wall, city surveys
mention in 1618 'the Friars' wall now Mr. Bee's', and in
1672 and 1716 the 'wall of the Friars' garden'. (fn. 23) There
were two gateways. The main entrance from St. Ann's
Street was at the N.W. corner. (fn. 24) A gateway in 'Frerenstrete' (fn. 25) may have been some 40 yds. S. of the main gate,
possibly in the position where a narrow road appears on
a sketch map of the area made in 1807. (fn. 26) Friars' Orchard,
as the E. part of the precinct was still named in 1807,
was subsequently attached to the large house in St.
Ann's Street which was demolished in 1864 to make
room for the museum (299). Foundations of flint walls
found in 1968 about 100 yds. S. of the museum
probably represent the mediaeval convent. (fn. 27)
A buttressed and apsed building shown on O.S.
(1880) some 30 yds. E. of Friary Court was an early
19th-century Aviary. It was pulled down in 1961, but
photographs are preserved in N.M.R.
Monuments (305)–(310) appear on the map of White
Hart Chequer, p. 116.
(305) House, No. 18 St. Ann's Street, of two storeys
with an attic, has timber-framed walls and tiled roofs
and is of 14th-century origin. In 1413 it was referred to
as the angle tenement, once John Baudrey's, now John
Becket's. In his will (1416) Becket left his 'angle tenement with shops opposite the friars manor' to be sold,
and his executors sold it in the same year to Wm. Phebis. (fn. 28)
By 1618 it was a property of the mayor and commonalty
and was described as a 'corner messuage, tenement and
gardens near Friars Bridge where are divers tenements
and gardens holden by divers poor people at will'. (fn. 29) It
occurs in later surveys of city lands, (fn. 30) and appears in
outline on a plan of 1854 by Peniston. (fn. 31) The E. range
is of the 14th century; on the W. is an 18th-century
brick-fronted extension. In the gabled N. front of the
original house (Plate 60) the first and attic floors are
jettied; the first floor is also jettied on the east. Original
timber framework with 'St. Andrew's cross' bracing
survives in the upper storey, but in the lower storey it
has been supplanted by 18th-century brickwork. Inside,
the 14th-century house comprises two rooms on each
floor. Between them is a stone chimneybreast, probably
inserted, with ground and first-floor fireplaces. The
ground-floor fireplace is partly blocked and partly cut
away. That on the first floor retains chamfered stone
jambs and a later timber lintel; beside it is an 18th-century round-headed recess with shaped shelves. The
roof retains many 14th-century members including a
collared truss with an upper king-strut supporting a
(306) Cottages, three adjoining, Nos. 12–16, are of
two storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs. Nos. 14 and
16, shown as one house on O.S., 1880, are mainly of the
18th century, but they include earlier materials; the W.
end of No. 14 (visible in No. 12) incorporates the remains
of a cruck truss. The fireplace in No. 14 has a moulded
timber bressummer. No. 12 was rebuilt in the 19th
century, but it retains 17th-century beams. Plans by
J.M. Peniston, 1855, are preserved (see (307)).
(307) House, No. 6 St. Ann's Street, partly of three
storeys, partly two-storeyed with a cellar and partly
single-storeyed, has brick walls and slate-covered roofs.
The part of the house W. of the stairs was built c. 1750.
It is three-storeyed and has a N. front of four bays with
plain sashed windows and a round-headed doorway in a
classical surround with wooden columns and pediment.
Further E. the middle part of the house has a 17th-century N. elevation of three bays with a weathered
plinth, a rounded brick string-course and heavy brick
quoins; it has rebated stone cellar windows, each of two
square-headed lights, transomed mezzanine windows of
similar construction and timber two-light windows in
the upper storey. To S. of the mezzanine room the
single-storeyed kitchen and drawing room are of the
early 19th century; probably they were built c. 1812
by J.C.P. Tinney, a prominent solicitor. (fn. 32) To E. of the
service rooms and drawing room, Peniston's plan of
1855 shows a coach house, stables, wash-house etc.; (fn. 33)
these, shown here in a light tone, have recently been
converted to a modern house with a 'Georgian' facade.
Inside, the oak stairs in the 17th-century part of the
house appear to be of that period, having close strings,
fretted splats instead of balusters and newel posts with
shaped finials (Plate 87). The curved S. wall of the
18th-century library is fitted with original bookshelves
and has a disguised door; other rooms have fielded
panelling and 18th-century joinery of good quality. The
drawing room has polished mahogany doors and a
columned window (Plate 96).
(308) House, No. 4, of three storeys with tile-hung
timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, was built about the
middle of the 18th century. The N. front has mathematical tiling and there is a projecting sashed window in
the second storey.
(309) House, No. 2, of three storeys with brick walls
and a slate-covered roof, was built during the first quarter
of the 19th century. A date stone of 1814 is set in the S.
part of the E. boundary wall of the site.
(310) Old Bell Inn, mainly of three storeys, has walls
faced with 18th-century brickwork, and tiled roofs. The
brickwork conceals a 16th-century timber-framed
structure, originally jettied N. and W. at the first floor
and W. at the second floor. In 1972 when the W. facade
was stripped of rendering the sawn-off second-floor jetty
beams were exposed. The first-floor jetties are under-built. Inside, original beams and posts remain. A two-storeyed stable range on the S. is probably contemporary
with the inn.