St. Nicholas' Road
(325) House, demolished in 1964, was of two storeys
with brick walls and tiled roofs; it dated from the first
quarter of the 19th century. The nearly symmetrical
three-bay E. front had a central doorway and segmental-headed sashed windows.
(326) Myrfield House, of three storeys with brick
walls and slate-covered roofs, was advertised as new-built
in 1813 (S.J., 4 Oct.); until recently it was the property
of the Dean and Chapter. The symmetrical three-bay S.
front, of grey brick in contrast to the red brick sides and
rear, has a central doorway enclosed in a scrolled
wrought-iron porch which partly supports a three-sided
first-floor bow window; elsewhere in the S. front there
are plain sashed windows. The N., E. and W. walls are
without any openings, probably because they overlook
the gardens of the former Bishop's Palace. The ground
plan, constricted by a narrow site, comprises a central
vestibule with one room to E. and one to W. The elliptical staircase at the N. end of the vestibule is lit by a
window in the roof. To E. and W. of the house, singlestoreyed ranges with cellars are of the 18th century and
originally were cottages and shops.
(327) De Vaux House, of two storeys with an attic,
with walls of ashlar, flint and brickwork and with tiled
roofs, is mainly of c. 1700, but it incorporates late
mediaeval walls which probably survive from a building
associated with De Vaux College, Domus de Valle
Scholarium (1260–1542). (fn. 1) . A plan of c. 1825 names the
site 'Magdalen Penitentiary'. (fn. 2)
(327) De Vaux House
The N. wall, mainly of flint with some original tile
coursing, includes a mediaeval chimneybreast. The N.E.
corner has an ashlar quoin and a small square-set buttress
of one stage with weathered capping. The brick-faced E.
front has an ashlar plinth of uncertain date and several
18th-century windows; a doorway with a pointed head is
of the 19th century. The W. elevation, of rubble and
brick, was rebuilt in the 18th century. The tile-hung S.
wall is of uncertain date.
Inside, the N. fireplace has jambs partly stone and
partly brick, and a chamfered oak bressummer. Beams
and joinery throughout the house are of c. 1700 and
later; one room has an oak chimneypiece made up with
early 17th-century carved panelling and uprights. The
roof has a collared tie-beam truss with queen-struts.
(328) House, No. 8 St. Nicholas' Road, is of two
storeys and has walls partly of brick and rubble and
partly tile-hung. The roofs are tiled. The walls and roof
include mediaeval material which probably survives from
the Domus de Valle Scholarium (see (327)), but the row
of mediaeval windows shown in an engraving of c. 1834
is no longer seen. (fn. 3) Nevertheless, Hall's assertion that
'the whole edifice is now demolished' is inaccurate.
The lower part of the S. front, of flint and rubble
with bands of tile laid in herringbone coursing, includes
the chamfered jambs and sill of a former window,
probably mediaeval; the upper storey is masked by
mathematical tiles. In the gabled E. wall a three-light
stone window, probably of the 17th century, has been
made into a doorway. An ashlar quoin at the N.E. corner
is probably mediaeval. A brick bay projecting near the
middle of the N. elevation is of the 17th century. Inside,
the rooms have nothing earlier than the second quarter
of the 19th century, but the roof includes stout smoke-blackened rafters with mortices in positions to suggest a
former scissor-braced rafter roof; they are probably of
the 13th century. Two undated 19th-century plans are
preserved. (fn. 4)
(329) House, adjoining the foregoing on the W., is
partly two-storeyed and partly single-storeyed with an
attic and has brick walls and tiled roofs. The two-storeyed
N. elevation, probably of the first half of the 18th
century, is symmetrical and of three bays with a square-headed central doorway flanked by gauged brick pilasters
and with segmental-headed sashed windows in both
storeys; all openings have brick flat arches with keystones; the window sills in the upper storey have brick
aprons. Flanking the elevation are two giant RomanDoric pilasters of gauged brickwork with stone capitals
supporting triglyph frieze-blocks and a moulded stone
cornice. The modern S. elevation includes reset fragments
of an 18th-century stone frieze of unknown provenance.
To the W. is a modern extension. Inside, a room is lined
with 17th-century oak wainscot brought from elsewhere.
(330) De Vaux Place, terrace of six houses, each of
three storeys with attics and with rendered brick walls
and slate-covered roofs, was built c. 1830 probably by
John Peniston; site-plans for the project are among
Peniston's papers in W.R.O. (fn. 5) Inside, the houses have
simple joinery and plasterwork of the period, but the
westernmost contains an oak staircase balustrade of c.
1730 with a fist-shaped curtail and fluted columnshaped newel posts and balusters, evidently brought
from elsewhere. (fn. 6) A stone in the garden wall of the
adjoining house is inscribed 'Queene .....eth 1585'.
(331) Cottages, pair, Nos. 16 and 18, of three storeys
with attics, with walls partly of timber framework and
partly of brick (Plate 19), were originally one house; it
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century.
The embankment of Ayleswade Bridge causes the
entrances to be at first-floor level. The second floor is
jettied on the east. Inside, an original chimneybreast
occurs about the middle of the W. wall, but its openings
have been blocked; the existing fireplaces in the gabled
N. and S. ends of the range are of the 19th century.
(332) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 9 and 11, of three
storeys with brick and tile-hung walls and with slate-covered roofs, were built early in the 19th century. In
the S. elevation the W. part of the lower storey, of ashlar,
is of 1774 (see monument (17)).
St. John's Chapel, see (11), p. 45.
Ayleswade Bridge, see (17), p. 51.
St. Nicholas's Hospital, see (26), p. 54.