Monuments in Gore's Chequer.
(390) House, No. 14 Endless Street, of two storeys
with an attic, is probably of the early 17th century;
the walls, entirely of 18th-century and later brickwork,
presumably replace timber framework. The steeply
pitched two-bay roof, ridged E. – W., has original trusses
with chamfered purlins and straight wind-braces.
(391) Loder House, mainly two-storeyed, with brick
walls and tiled and slated roofs, was in an advanced
state of decay when investigated in 1962; since then it
has been extensively altered. The N. part of the house,
comprising two ground-floor rooms and three on the
first floor, is of c. 1750; until 1962 the W. room on
each floor retained very handsome decorations. The S.
part, containing the entrance vestibule, stairs and service
rooms, was of c. 1850 and had plainer fittings.
The 18th-century part of the W. front had two sashed
windows in each storey and a pediment above a heavy
brick cornice. The windows and eaves of the 19th-century
wing were at a lower level than in the earlier building.
(391) Loder House
Inside, the 19th-century staircase had cast-iron
balusters and rounded mahogany handrails. In the 18th-century part of the house the dining room had panelled
walls with an acanthus scroll frieze, a bracketed cornice
and a panelled plaster ceiling with classical enrichments.
The chimneypiece (Plate 94) had a scrolled pediment
enclosing a gilded eagle with a garland in its beak. The
doorways had pulvinated entablatures. A panel on the N.
wall contained a painting on canvas ascribed to the
Roman Mannerist school of c. 1550, probably a fragment
of a larger work. The drawing room had decorations of
c. 1850. On the first floor, the W. chamber had rococo
wall decorations in plaster (Plate 95), and a modelled
plaster ceiling of c. 1750. The N.E. chamber was lined
with 18th-century fielded panelling in three heights. The
small S.E. dressing-room had no notable features. In the
S. part of the house several rooms had 18th-century
joinery, presumably reset.
Since 1962 the building has been divided into shops
and offices, and the rich interior decorations have gone.
(392) Cottages, pair, Nos. 22–4 Endless Street, are
of two storeys with brick walls and slated roofs and were
built early in the 19th century. In each cottage the W.
front is of two bays with plain sashed windows and a
(393) House, No. 26, now Local Government Offices,
is partly of two and partly of three storeys with brick
walls and low-pitched slate-covered roofs; it dates from
early in the 19th century. The E. front is asymmetrical,
with plain sashed windows and a square-headed doorway
in a door-case with reeded decoration. The porch, largely
modern, includes early 19th-century wooden columns of
elegant design with clustered shafts and flared capitals.
Inside, the original staircase has slender turned balusters.
(394) Warehouse, No. 20 Bedwin Street, recently
remodelled, was of three storeys with brick walls and a
tiled roof and dated from early in the 19th century.
It was built as an extension of No. 20a (395).
(395) House, No. 20a, of three storeys with brick
walls and a tiled roof, was built in the 18th century.
Until 1967 it had a symmetrical N. front of three bays
with a central doorway, but it has since been remodelled.
(396) House, No. 22, mainly of three storeys with
brick walls and a tiled roof, was built c. 1800. The N.
front is symmetrical and of three bays, with a round-headed central doorway and with plain sashed windows
or blind recesses. To the S., a two-storeyed wing with
walls of rubble and flint in the lower storey and of
timber framework above is the W. bay of a 16th-century
range which originally extended as far as Rolleston
Street; part of the lower storey remains as the garden
wall of No. 26 Endless Street (398). The 16th-century
roof has a collared tie-beam truss with lower angle
braces, a king-strut and clasped purlins. The house of
c. 1800 has a class—U plan.
(397) House, No. 24 Bedwin Street, of three storeys
with brick walls and tiled roofs, dates from c. 1800. The
N. doorway (Plate 99) has a segmental hood, a Greekfret frieze, and jambs with clustered shafts and leaf
capitals. In the E. elevation a first-floor room has a
projecting sashed window curved on plan. Inside, the
rooms have 19th century joinery of good quality.
(398) Walls, bounding the garden of No. 26 Endless
Street (393) on E. and S., are of brick with weathered
brick copings and appear to be of the early 17th century.
Additional brickwork above the coping is probably of
the 18th century. Piercing the E. wall is an ashlar doorway with a four-centred head and an original oak door
studded with iron nails. A similar doorway occurs in
the S. wall of the same garden. In 1975 the brickwork
was extensively renewed. On the N. the garden is partly
bounded by a 16th-century wall (see (396)).
(399) Pheasant Inn and Shoemakers' Hall, of two
storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, are
respectively of the late 15th and the mid 17th century.
In 1638 Philip Crew, a schoolmaster, bequeathed his
house at the corner of Rolleston Street and Salt Lane to
the Shoemakers' Company, recommending them to build
a guild hall. (fn. 1) A large 17th-century first-floor room to
N.W. of the 15th-century house, with a kitchen below it,
evidently results from the bequest.
Externally the lower walls of the 15th-century building have been rebuilt in brickwork, and internally many
ground-floor partitions have been removed, but in the
upper storey much original timber framework remains
(Plate 64). The roof of the E. range has tie-beam trusses
with cambered collars, curved angle-braces and clasped
purlins with wind-braces. In the S. range the gabled E.
wall is jettied at the first floor. Coupled roof trusses in
the W. part of the S. range suggest that the range originated as two houses. The division has been obliterated
below by the widening of a carriage throughway.
(399) Pheasant Inn and Shoemaker's Hall
The 17th-century guild hall has walls partly timber-framed and partly of brick. The lower storey has been
modernised, but the first-floor hall retains its original
form. The timber-framed S. wall contains two windows,
each of two double-transomed lights with ogee-moulded
timber surrounds; the openings, now partly blocked,
originally reached from the floor to the wall-plate. An
original fireplace in the N.W. corner of the hall has been
blocked up and a modern fireplace has been built on the
E., using old bricks. A 17th-century full-length portrait
of Philip Crew hangs in the hall.
(400) Cottages, two adjoining, Nos. 11 and 13 Salt
Lane, are of two storeys with walls of timber framework
and of brick, and with tile-covered roofs. They are of the
16th century but have been much altered. Inside, No. 13
retains an original flint and ashlar chimneybreast.
(401) Cottage, No. 9, of two storeys with rendered
brick walls and a tiled roof, is of the early 19th century.
Two dormer windows in the S. front have wood heads
imitating mediaeval window tracery.
(402) Cottages, pair, Nos. 5 and 7, of two storeys
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, are of c. 1850.
(403) Cottages, pair, Nos. 1 and 3, of two storeys
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, are of c. 1850.