Monuments (419)–(423) appear on the map of Blue
Boar Chequer, p. 132.
(419) House, No. 1, of three storeys with attics, has
brick walls and tiled roofs. The surviving structure represents about two thirds of a substantial town house,
built during the first half of the 18th century and altered
and redecorated towards the end of the same century. In
1858 the southern third was demolished to make room
for the Market House (25). From 1861 to 1864 the
remaining part accommodated the Brodie collection of
antiquities, the nucleus of Salisbury Museum.
The E. front (Plate 77) is decorated with giant Doric
pilasters, each capped by an independant triglyph and
supporting a bracketed cornice. The doorway in the S.
bay has Ionic columns and a pedimented entablature.
A photograph taken before 1858 (Plate 14) shows a
(419) No. 1 Castle Street.
Inside, the late 18th-century staircase (removed in the
lower storey) is of oak with spiral open-string steps,
slender turned balusters, a moulded handrail and a
panelled dado; it is lit by an oval glass dome rising from
an enriched frieze and culminating in an acanthus boss.
The mezzanine drawing-room ceiling has delicate neoclassical plaster enrichment; the fireplace surround is of
white marble inlaid with pink. In the N.E. first-floor
room the ceiling has rococo decorations, perhaps of
papier-mache. Kingdon & Shearm indicate a S.W. wing,
(420) Shops, Nos. 3–9, of two and three storeys
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, demolished in
1975, appear to have incorporated the upper part of the
brick facades of three late 18th-century houses, all with
plain sashed windows. Inside, nothing noteworthy
remained. A range of early 19th-century buildings on the
N.W. of No. 9 were formerly malthouses belonging to
Pain's brewery (see (422)). A plan of 1834 is preserved
(W.R.O., 451/73 (xlix)).
(421) House, No. 11, of three storeys with attics,
with brick walls and slate-covered roofs, is of the late
18th century. The E. front has a projecting bow window
in the second storey and a sashed window above. The
third storey is faced with mathematical tiles.
(422) Houses, Nos. 19–25, and ranges of buildings
flanking a courtyard on the W., mainly two-storeyed
with attics, were demolished in 1968. Before demolition
the buildings were used as offices and auction rooms
(Plate 80), but in 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm) the site had
been a brewery, part of which extended into the area of
(420). Although mainly of the 19th century, the complex
included earlier buildings. Behind its simple one-bay
18th-century brick facade, No. 19 (not illustrated)
had timber-framed walls and was perhaps of 16th-century origin. No. 21 (l. in the photograph) was three-storeyed with brick walls and a tiled roof and appeared
to be of the early 19th century. Adjacent on the N. was
the entrance to No. 23, a conspicuous two-storeyed
gateway with turrets in the 'Tudor' style, probably of
c. 1865. No. 25 had a rendered late 18th-century twobay elevation of two storeys with plaster quoins and a
bracketed cornice. Behind No. 25 the range on the N. of
the courtyard was found on demolition to be of 16th-century origin. Some 20 ft. from the E. end the roof of
the range had an arch-braced collar truss. Further W.
the walls were partly of timber framework and the first
floor rested on intersecting chamfered beams with runout stops. A large chimneybreast of rubble and brick had
a 16th-century fireplace, facing E., with chamfered
ashlar jambs and a chamfered oak bressummer; another
fireplace was on the first floor. Adjacent on the W. was a
smaller chimneybreast with a S.-facing fireplace,
probably of the 17th century. Here the roof had collared
tie-beam trusses with lower angle braces.
(423) Workshop, of two storeys with attics, formerly
with brick walls and a tiled roof, is of 17th-century
origin. It has been extensively remodelled and now is
used as offices. The upper floor rests on stout chamfered
beams with run-out stops. Truncated tie-beams in the
four-bay roof are tenoned into queen-struts which rise
from the attic floor beams. On a plan in the city archives,
probably by Peniston, c. 1850, the building is called
'stores and coach-builders workshop'; in the surveys of
city lands dated 1716 and 1783 it is called the New
Stable. (fn. 1) The whole tenement, including a gateway to
Castle Street, houses on each side of the gate, and land
stretching W. to the Avon, was sold to the city in 1630
by Dr. John Mosely. (fn. 2) Naish's maps show a Free School
in this position and the plan of c. 1850 designates as
'school-room' a large first-floor room overlooking
Castle Street. Doubtless this was Salisbury's first free
school, established elsewhere in 1559 and transferred
to this site in 1624. (fn. 3) The school-room no longer exists,
the E. part of the tenement having been rebuilt about
the end of the 19th century.
(424) House, No. 31, of three storeys with rendered
walls and slated and tile-covered roofs, is probably of the
second quarter of the 18th century. The four-bay E.
front has plain sashed windows in the upper storeys.
Beside modern shop windows the lower storey retains
an original doorway with fanlight, flat hood and scrolled
acanthus brackets. Inside, several rooms have bolection-moulded panelling in two heights, and heavy moulded
(425) House, No. 35, has an E. front similar to and
continuous with that of No. 31 (424). Inside, however,
it is clear that the two buildings are not contemporary.
No. 35 was originally two-storeyed, with timber-framed
walls, probably of 16th-century origin. The S. elevation,
facing a carriage through-way, has exposed timber framework and is jettied at the attic floor.
An outbuilding to W., with brick and tile-hung walls
and with a tiled roof, appears to be of the 18th century.
(426) House, No. 41, of three storeys and a cellar,
has brick walls and a slate-covered roof. Of early 18th-century origin it was remodelled during the first half
of the 19th century, the E. front being rebuilt with
ashlar quoins, a cornice and a plain parapet; there is a
shop-window with Tuscan columns in the lower storey
and three bays of plain sashed windows in each upper
storey. Inside, a ground-floor room has an original
stone chimney-piece with a moulded head and keystone.
Monuments in N. part of Castle Street.
(427) Houses, Nos. 43–5, now united and used as
solicitors' offices, are mainly of three storeys and have
brick-faced walls and tiled and slated roofs. From
mediaeval times the ground of No. 45 was bounded on
the N. by a conduit taking water from the mill-leat to
the channels in the city streets; the 18th-century part of
the house extends over this conduit. (fn. 4) In 1751, when No.
45 belonged to Alexander Powell (deputy recorder
1766–85), a deed recorded the extinction of a rightof-way which formerly passed from Castle Street across
Powell's garden to a sluice-house in the N.W. corner of
the garden; in exchange Powell granted right-of-way to
the S. of the adjoining house (No. 43). (fn. 5) The deed states
explicitly that Powell had 'enclosed the former passage
and taken it into his parlour'. In 1792 the house was
acquired by Joseph Tanner, (fn. 6) and in 1796 it was advertised to let, 'having been in great part new-built within
the last four years'. It then comprised, on the ground
floor an entrance hall, three parlours, kitchen etc.; on
the first floor a drawing-room, a dressing-room and five
bedrooms; in the attic storey five more bedrooms. A
walled garden backing on the Avon measured 72 ft. by
132 ft. (fn. 7)
(427) Nos. 43–5 Castle Street
Ground floor and mezzanine.
No. 43 is basically timber-framed and probably of
17th-century origin, but much of the framework was
replaced by or cased in brickwork in the 19th century.
An early but undated photograph (Plate 14) shows its
plain E. front with a shop window in the lower storey.
No. 45, a town house consistent with Powell's standing,
appears to have been built early in the 18th century. The
E. front (Plate 75) is symmetrical and of five bays. Brick
pilasters flanking the two upper storeys rise unconventionally from the apexes of the pedimented side porches,
that on the N. blind, the other now containing the main
entrance to the building. In the early photograph both
side porches are blind and a doorway with a flat hood
takes the place of the existing centre window. (The same
photograph shows that the present coarse brick cornice
replaces a more delicately modelled feature, probably of
Roman cement.) In the original facade the S. porch
probably gave access to the former passage to the sluicehouse; the blind N. porch is likely to have been put there
for symmetry and perhaps partly in recognition of the
conduit which must once have emerged at this point
below the 18th-century facade. Presumably the brickwork which closes the S. porch in the old photograph
was inserted by Powell, c. 1751. We do not know when
the central doorway was abolished, but O.S. (1880)
seems to suggest that it was still in existence at that
On the W., the house consists of two parallel ranges
divided by a narrow court. The 18th-century kitchen
range possibly incorporates the brick walls of a somewhat earlier building (ignored on the plan). On the S.,
where the garden of No. 43 must once have been, a
range of c. 1792 comprises a drawing-room or music
room, (fn. 8) with a triple W. window opening to a terrace
from which formal steps descend to a large garden (map,
p. 149). Low cellars raise the drawing-room to mezzanine
level. A passage which passes from N. to S. in the basement storey may have been designed to accommodate
the second right-of-way to the sluice-house. Some
brickwork in this part of the building may be reused
17th-century material; it occurs below the level shown
on the plan.
Inside No. 45, the early 18th-century oak staircase
on the N. of the hall (Plate 88) has twisted Tuscan
column balustrades and stout moulded handrails. A
large chimneybreast in the N.W. parlour, now partly
removed, suggests that this was once a kitchen. On the
first floor, a round-headed doorway from the staircase
landing to the large, panelled N.E. room indicates that
the latter ranked originally as a drawing-room.
The S.E. ground-floor room in No. 45, now the
vestibule, is evidently the parlour formed in 1751 by
Alexander Powell; it has pine panelling in two heights
and a bold wood cornice. The S. staircase in No. 45 was
inserted in 1792 primarily to give access to Joseph
Tanner's mezzanine drawing-room; part of a back room
in No. 43 was taken to make room for it. The staircase is
of oak with slender turned balusters and scrolled step
spandrels. The mezzanine drawing-room has a carved
wooden chimneypiece of c. 1720, presumably reset,
with a pulvinated laurel-leaf frieze capped by a broken
pediment. The ceiling is heavily enriched with baroque
plasterwork, probably of c. 1900.
To W., axially laid out with regard to the drawing
room window, a brick-walled garden extends to the mill
stream. Centrally on the stream bank is a small gardenhouse of c. 1792 with rendered brick walls and a tiled
(428) House, No. 47, of three storeys with brick
walls and slate-covered roofs, was built during the second
half of the 18th century. Above modern shop windows
the three-bay E. front has uniform sashed windows in
each upper storey. The moulded wooden cornice and
brick parapet have recently been renewed. Inside, the
altered ground plan implies a former through-passage
on the north. The stairs, with turned balusters and a
cast-iron newel-post at the foot, are of the 19th century.
The first-floor rooms retain original cornices and dado
rails, and a wooden chimneypiece with leaf enrichment,
swags and paterae.
(429) House, No. 49, of three storeys with brick
walls and a tiled roof, is probably of 1755. The threebay E. front is asymmetrical, with a shop window in the
S. part with paired sashed windows in the upper storeys,
and with a carriage through-way on the N. with a single
sashed window in each upper storey. The eaves have a
moulded brick cornice. The date 1755 appears on the
keystone of an arch in the through-way.
(430) Houses, three adjacent, Nos. 57–61, and an
adjoining Loom House were demolished in 1965. The
houses were two-storeyed with attics and had timber-framed walls, partly faced with brickwork and partly
tile-hung, and tiled roofs. No. 57 was of late 15th-century
origin; Nos. 59 and 61 were of the 16th or 17th century;
all three had been refronted in the 18th century and had
pedimented doorways and sashed windows. Inside, the
ground-floor room of No. 57 had 18th-century fielded
panelling in three heights, elliptical-headed niches
flanking the fireplace and a moulded stone chimneypiece.
The roof of No. 57 was of four bays with two plain
collared tie-beam trusses and, at the centre, a truss with
arched braces. Nos. 59 and 61 had no notable features.
The loom-house (15 ft. by 65 ft.), some 15 ft. W. of
No. 61 but originally connected with it, was two-storeyed
with brick walls and a tiled roof. It is said to have been
built in 1738 by the clothier Joseph Hinxman. (fn. 9) The N.
front had twelve segmental-headed openings in the lower
storey and four above.
(431) House, No. 63, of two storeys and attics, with
timber-framed walls subsequently faced with brickwork
and with tiled roofs, was built early in the 16th century.
The symmetrical three-bay E. front is of the late 18th
century, with a 19th-century shop window. Inside, there
is evidence for a large fireplace, now blocked. Several
rooms have chamfered beams. The roof of the E. range,
ridged N.—S., has collared tie-beam trusses with lower
king and queen struts, and clasped purlins; that of the W.
range, at right-angles, has lower angle struts.
(432) House, No. 63, of two storeys and attics, has
timber-framed walls faced in part with brickwork, and
tiled roofs. Reset in the E. range is a rebated and
chamfered beam from a panelled ceiling, perhaps of
15th-century origin. Elsewhere the timber framework
appears to be of the 16th century with later additions.
The five-bay E. front was built early in the 18th century,
but the shop windows in the lower storey are modern.
Inside, some 18th-century joinery remains.
(433) House, now two dwellings, Nos. 2 and 3 Ivy
Place, is of two storeys with attics and has tile-hung
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. The building is of
the 17th century and retains an original brick chimney-stack. Inside, joinery and fittings date from the mid 18th
century, when the house was divided. The roof was
altered in the mid 18th century.
(434) Cottages, row of eight, Nos. 4–11 Ivy Place,
are three-storeyed with rendered brick walls and tilecovered roofs; they were built c. 1800. Inside, each
dwelling has one room on each floor.
(435) House, No. 77, of two storeys and attics, has
rendered brick walls and tile-covered roofs and was
built about the middle of the 18th century. The E. front
has an original doorway with a pedimented hood on
shaped brackets. Inside, the large entrance vestibule
contains a close-string staircase with column-shaped
(436) House, No. 79, of two and three storeys with
tile-hung timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, is of the
early 17th century. The E. front is jettied at the first
floor and in the second storey has a projecting window,
partly original, with ogee corbels. Inside, the ground-floor rooms have been obliterated to make a shop. The
E. first-floor room retains original panelling and has a
chimneypiece composed of 17th-century carved woodwork, reassembled.
(437) House, No. 81, of two low storeys with timber-framed walls and a tiled roof, is probably of 17th-century origin, but all original features are hidden by
modern tile-work and internal fittings.
(438) George and Dragon Inn, together with No. 83,
adjacent to S., are of two storeys with attics and have
rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. They were
built early in the 16th century and probably were
originally united. The E. fronts are jettied at the first
floor. The main roof is ridged N.–S., but the middle bay
(the S. bay of the inn) is part of a cross-range and is
gabled to E. The E. doorway (d) of the through-passage
has a moulded oak surround with a three-centred head
and spandrels with cusped mouchettes. Other openings
in the E. front are of the 18th century and later. Inside,
the two E. ground-floor rooms of the inn (now united)
have hollow-chamfered beams with shaped stops. The
roof has collared tie-beam trusses with lower angle
struts and clasped purlins. The W. wing retains original
timber framework, but it was altered and added to in the
(438) No. 83 Castle Street and George & Dragon Inn.
(439) House, No. 87, of two storeys with attics, with
timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, dates from early in
the 16th century and may originally have been one with
the adjoining building (438). The gabled E. front has
modern windows. The N. wall of the lower storey,
visible in a through-way, contains a blocked doorway
with an ogee-headed timber surround. Inside, timber
framework is exposed.
(440) Warehouse and Cottages, adjacent to No. 87
on the W., are two-storeyed and have timber-framed
walls with brick nogging, and tiled roofs; probably they
are of the 16th century. The warehouse is two-storeyed
and of four bays. In the upper storey, jowl-headed wall-posts support cambered tie-beams with curved braces.
The roof, ridged N.–S., hsa trusses with queen-posts,
collars, clasped purlins and curved wind-braces. A cottage
adjoining the warehouse on the E. has a two-bay plan;
inside, the rooms have 18th-century joinery of poor
quality. Another cottage has been formed in the two
N. bays of the warehouse.
(441) House, No. 91, of two storeys with walls
partly timber-framed and partly of brick, and with
tiled roofs, is of 15th-century origin. The E. part of the
house was rebuilt in the 18th century and the E. front,
of brickwork, has a shop-window below three plain
sashed windows; above is a moulded cornice with dentils.
The W. part of the house retains original timber framework and is jettied W. and S. at the first floor. The lower
storey contains an original fireplace with ashlar jambs
and an oak bressummer. The corresponding first-floor
room is of two bays; the open roof has an arch-braced
collar-truss, purlins and curved wind-braces. A blocked
doorway with an ogee-headed wooden lintel in the N.
wall suggests that Nos. 91 and 93 (442) were originally
(442) House, No. 93, of two storeys with timber-framed walls fronted with brickwork and with a tiled
roof, is mainly of the 15th century. The mid 18th-century E. front has a classical door-case (Plate 98) in
which the entablature incorporates a window; the first-floor room has a projecting sashed bow window. Inside,
the E. ground-floor room has a large original fireplace
with ashlar jambs and an oak bressummer. On the first
floor the E. room has a stone fireplace corresponding
with that below. The roof has collared tie-beam trusses
with lower angle braces.
(443) Hall, formerly adjacent to No. 93 on the W.,
was ruinous when investigated and recently has been
largely demolished although part of the E. end remains.
The single-storeyed building had timber-framed walls
with wattle-and-daub infilling and a tiled roof. It probably
was of 16th-century origin. Latterly used as a warehouse,
the original purpose of the building is unknown.
(444) House, No. 95, of two storeys and an attic,
with brick walls and a tile-covered roof, is of the early
(443) Late mediaeval hall adjoining No. 93 Castle Street.
(445) House, No. 137, of two storeys and an attic,
with brick walls and a tiled roof, was demolished in
1970. It was of the early 18th century and retained
joinery of that period. During demolition the S. wall was
seen to include vestiges of antecedent buildings.
(446) House, No. 206 Castle Street, of two storeys
with attics, has brick walls and slate-covered roofs and
was built early in the 19th century. The W. front is
symmetrical and of three bays, with a round-headed
central doorway under a segmental hood which rests on
wood columns; the latter are carved to represent palm
trees and reputedly come from Fonthill Abbey (Plate
99). The class-U plan appears on p. lxiv. The dining-room chimneypiece is enriched with a trophy of musical
instruments. The stairs have graceful mahogany handrails
and turned newel-posts.
(447) Cottages, pair, Nos. 184–6, of two storeys
with attics, have brick walls and slate-covered roofs and
were built c. 1800.
(448) Cottages, range of four, Nos. 172–8, are two-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and
were built c. 1840.
(449) Cottages, two adjacent, Nos. 142–4, are of
two storeys with attics and have timber-framed walls
partly encased in brickwork, and tile-covered roofs.
Probably of 17th-century origin, remodelled c. 1850,
they were originally one house.
(450) Cottages, range of three, Nos. 136–40, are of
three storeys with attics and have brick walls and slate-covered roofs; they were built c. 1840.
(451) Cottages, two adjacent, No. 132, now united
and much altered, are two-storeyed with brick walls and
slate-covered roofs and are of early 19th-century origin.
(452) Cottages, three adjacent, Nos. 124–8, are of
two storeys with attics; they have brick walls and tiled
roofs and were built c. 1850.
(453) Cottages, pair, Nos. 1 and 2 Bellvue Place, are
two-storeyed with brick walls and tiled roofs; they are of
(454) Cottages, Nos. 74 and 66, of three storeys with
brick walls and slate-covered roofs, were built c. 1840.
Similar intervening cottages (Nos. 68–72) have recently
(455) Houses, pair, Nos. 62–4, are three-storeyed
with rendered brick walls and slate-covered roofs. They
were built c. 1840.
(456) House, No. 60, of three storeys with brick
walls and a slate-covered roof, was built c. 1840.
(457) Cottages, four adjacent, Nos. 52–8, of two
storeys with brick walls and slated roofs, were built c.
1840 and demolished in 1970.
(458) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 42–4, demolished
in 1970, were of 14th-century origin and originally were
probably one house. Each house was two-storeyed with
attics and had tile-hung timber-framed walls and a tiled
roof; 18th-century street-fronts encompassed the attics
and were three-storeyed. No. 44 had a N. wall of flint
and stone with tile banding, and a 14th-century threebay crown-post rafter roof, ridged E.–W. The first floor,
jettied on the W., rested on a moulded 15th-century
beam. No. 42, of two bays at right-angles to those of
No. 44 and thus parallel with Castle Street, included
15th or 16th-century material, but it had been extensively rebuilt in the 18th century.
For monuments in the S. part of Castle Street, on the
E. side, see Blue Boar Chequer (p. 132) and White Horse
Chequer (p. 142).