Begbroke
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Alan Crossley, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, W J Blair, Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, Janet Cooper, C J Day, Nesta Selwyn, S C Townley

Year published

1990

Supporting documents

Page

14

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Begbroke: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12: Wootton Hundred (South) including Woodstock (1990), pp. 14. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1345 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Charities for the poor

Ellis Ashton, by will dated 1863, (fn. 42) left £145 to establish an apprenticeship fund to be administered by the churchwardens and overseers. The fund's initial income of £5 16s. rose, largely through lack of demand, to £8 by 1887, when the Charity Commission applied a Declaration of Trust. (fn. 43) Applicants remained few and the fund was used occasionally for educational purposes; (fn. 44) in 1971 the Department of Education ruled that the fund, then comprising £138, could properly be used for the benefit of Begbroke school children. (fn. 45)

Footnotes

42 O.R.C.C., Kimber files.
43 Suppl. Digest of Char. 1889-90, H.C. 247, p. 4 (1890), lv.
44 O.R.O., MS. d.d. Par. Begbroke, c 4, item b.
45 O.R.C.C., Kimber files.